Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Final Thoughts by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Once again, this will be a series of one-shots based on the theme in the summary.
Chapter Notes: Chapter Summary:

James told his wife to take their son and run. He turned, wandless, to face his enemy. In that moment, a thousand images filled his mind.

I wish to thank both of my betas, Rena and Alyssa (harry4lif). I would also like to thank Carole, (Equinox Chick), for her honest opinions and help with all things British.

Everything you recognise belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am just thankful to get to play in her world for a little while.
There wasn’t anything unusual about the day. James woke up next to his wife just like every other morning. He whispered a soft thank you to the Fates that allowed him to share his life with her. He did that every morning from the first day she agreed to go out with him.

He carefully slid out of bed and went down the hall to his son’s room. Gently, he opened the door and slipped inside. James didn’t want to wake him if he was still sleeping, but Harry was standing up in his cot and reached his arms out to him.

“Daddy,” Harry said.

Smiling, James picked him up and held him close. James never tired of hearing Harry call him Daddy.

Harry patted his father’s face and smiled. James just couldn’t understand how he got so lucky. He had great friends, a wonderful and beautiful wife and a fabulous son.

“Come on, let’s go get some breakfast and let your mum sleep for a bit,” James said.

“Mummy? Kitty?” Harry asked.

“Later,” James told his son. “Food first, then you can play with the kitty.”

The rest of the day was pretty much the same as every other day. First there was breakfast and then playtime and naptime. Then came lunch and more playtime then another nap. Dinner was at the normal time, and still more time playing with Harry.

James was sitting on the sofa, making puffs of coloured smoke come out of the tip of his wand when Lily entered the room. He picked Harry up and handed him to Lily. He threw his wand on the sofa as he stretched.

He heard the door burst open and he knew his luck had run out. He also knew in that instant they had trusted the wrong man.

He rushed into the entranceway and came face to face with his enemy.

“Lily, take Harry and go! It’s Him! Go! Run! I’ll hold him off*,” he screamed at her.

James heard her run out of the room as he stood looking at Voldemort. He didn’t even take the time to pick up his wand. His only hope was that in the time it would take Voldemort to kill him, Lily and Harry would escape.

His life meant nothing compared to theirs.

James heard his laughter. James knew Voldemort thought him foolish for not picking up his wand. He didn’t realise James only needed to live a few moments to give his family time to escape.

James watched as he raised his wand, confident in his skill. He didn’t speak, and for a moment, it seemed as if he expected James to beg for his life. James prayed Lily had enough time to escape as he faced his death.

He saw the green light from the wand, but never heard the words that sealed his fate. In that instant as the force of the spell hit him, his mind exploded with memories.


*****
“Mum, I’ll be fine. Dad, tell her I will be okay. I don’t need her to get on the train with me. I am eleven now, I think I can find a compartment by myself,” James begged his father.

“Of course you can. We will just say goodbye then. Have a good year, and don’t forget to write,” his mother said as she gave him a final kiss and hug. When she stepped back, James smiled. He turned and waved before he walked onto the train and towards his future.

**
I wonder why she is crying? Guess it doesn’t matter, she’s just a girl. I’d rather just talk to the boy who just came in. He seems as if he will be okay, he thought.

“My name’s James Potter, what’s yours?” James asked the boy.

“Sirius Black,” replied the dark haired boy, holding out his hand towards James.

**

“GRYFFINDOR!”

*****

“He’s a what?” James whispered disbelief in his tone.

“A werewolf. That’s why he disappears every month at the full moon,” said Sirius. “Peter and I followed him tonight to the Whomping Willow. After he went in, we snuck in too. We saw him.”

James thought quickly and decided it didn’t matter. “Remus is our friend. It doesn’t matter. We stick by our friends, no matter what.”

*****

Laughing, James watched as Sirius changed back into himself. “I can’t believe you are a dog, though I guess it matches your personality.”

“Oh, and I suppose you being a stag matches your personality?” Sirius asked.

“Now we just need to help Peter. I know he can do it. He is, after all, a Marauder.”

“Wonder what he’ll be when he finally manages it,” Sirius replied. “Let’s go find him and spend some time helping him. I can’t wait until Remus doesn’t have to be alone anymore.”

*****

James watched as the rat poked the knot with his nose. Sirius barked his approval and the three friends entered the small space under the tree. Remus didn’t know what they had done, and he was confused at first upon seeing a dog, a stag and a rat looking at him.

James quickly transformed back to explain to him that he didn’t have to be alone anymore. The Marauders could be together all the time now. He smiled and James transformed back as the moon rose.

***

James regretted his actions as he watched Lily storm away. It is in that moment, he realised he was going to have to change if he wanted to win her heart.

***

“Yes, I’ll go to Hogsmeade with you,” her soft voice replied to his question. Her answer shocked him into silence and she laughed softly as she walked away leaving James standing there looking stupid.

*****

“Yes, I’ll marry you,” she said smiling. Once again, she left him speechless. But instead of walking away as she did all those years ago, she leant towards him and began to softly kiss him.

*****

“James, we are going to have a baby.”

“A baby? As in you and me...a baby?” he stammered. James’ only thought was at least he was able to speak even if he did sound like an idiot. He grabbed her into a tight hug and his laughter joined hers. He wondered briefly about her safety but pushed the thought aside. He knew his friends would help him to protect her as long as it is necessary.

*****

“It’s a boy,” the Healer said as she placed a small bundle into James’ arms. He looked down at the little baby and the first thing he saw was the green eyes of the woman who he would give his life for. James knew he would die before he saw any harm come to this tiny defenceless baby.

*****

The memories abruptly stopped and James felt nothing. He opened his eyes. He looked frantically around but quickly realised he was dead. Sighing, James hoped against hope, he would not see Lily or Harry for a long time.
Chapter Endnotes: *Quote is from Prisioner of Azkaban, chapter twelve, The Patronus, page 178, British edition.