Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Second Chance at Life and Love by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I wish to thank my wonderful beta, Alyssa (harry4lif).

I am not J.K. Rowling. I am thankful to her to be able to play in her world. If only for a little while.
Hermione instinctively moved to stand in front of Sirius. “Bill, wait. It’s okay. Let me explain.”

“Hermione,” Bill said, very calmly, “move over here next to me.” His wand never wavered.

“It's okay,” Sirius said, “go over by Bill. He won’t do anything rash.” Sirius hoped Bill would listen before he did anything.

“Your name is William Arthur Weasley and you are named after your father; a father who loves all things Muggle. You once worked in Egypt as a Curse-Breaker for Gringotts bank.” Sirius looked directly into Bill’s eyes as he spoke.

Hermione who refused to move from in front of Sirus, tried to reason with Bill. “Bill, please listen to me.” Bill ignored her.

“Any Death Eater would know that. Try telling me something they wouldn’t know,” Bill said sarcastically.

“Would any Death Eater know about the night you got locked in a pyramid with a young Muggle woman? How the candles went out and you couldn’t find where you put your wand down to get yourself out?” Sirius asked smiling.

“It’s possible, maybe,” Bill said but his tone was doubtful.

“Would they be able to describe her to you? Let’s see, I believe you said she was a redhead, tiny and petite…” Sirius paused for a heartbeat before saying, “with the exception of her… um… chest.”

“Sirius? It really is you? How? When?” Bill lowered his wand and rushed over to draw Sirius into a hug.

Hermione looked at the two men embracing with tears in her eyes. She knew there were going to be lots of questions. “Why don’t we go down and see if Kreacher has dinner ready? We can explain everything then.”

“I don’t have time for dinner, I need to find Harry. But, I also need to know how this happened,” he said gesturing to Sirius.

“Let’s go down to the kitchen. We may as well be comfortable while we explain.” Hermione turned and started down the stairs to the kitchen.

When they entered the kitchen, the first thing Sirius noticed was this room also received the same cleaning as the rest of the house. The counters as well as the table were spotless and shining. Bustling around fixing dinner was Kreacher.

“Kreacher will have dinner ready in a few moments,” Kreacher said as he spotted Hermione.

“That's fine, Kreacher, no rush. We have some things to discuss before we eat anyway.” Hermione smiled at the House-elf.

Sitting down at the table, Bill looked at Hermione expectantly. “Can you give me a quick explanation?”

Hermione took a deep breath. This was the first test. “Short version, during the battle at the Department of Mysteries, one of the Death Eaters had a Time-turner stuck to the back of his robes. He didn’t know this and during the fight, it got knocked into the Veil. Yesterday, Sirus found it. He used it and ended up on the floor in front of the Veil.”

“If he used it, and it worked, then…” Bill’s words were stopped by Sirus.

“Bill, when I found it, I was with James and Lily. Lily said it wouldn’t work. I tried to prove her wrong. I put the necklace around all three of us. I was the only one who made it back,” Sirius explained.

“Kingsley believes, as do I, that the only reason it worked for Sirius was because he was alive when he fell through the Veil,” Hermione said, sympathy in her voice. She knew Bill was thinking of Fred.

Bill’s battle scarred face fell. “Yeah, you are probably right. So, why haven’t you told everyone you are back?”

“Only Kingsley knows besides myself and Harry. Until we figure out the truth and how to explain it to everyone, we need to keep his being alive a secret.” Hermione looked at Bill.

“I understand. I won’t say anything to anyone,” Bill said. “I came today because I need to find Harry.”

“Is something wrong?” Sirius asked.

“I’m not sure. Where is he?”

“Kingsley sent him an urgent request to come to the Ministry; something about intelligence on Greyback.”

“Damn, I was afraid of that.” Bill stood to leave. “How long ago did he go?”

“About an hour or so,” Hermione said. She was getting scared. Something wasn’t right. “Bill what’s going on?”

“I heard some rumours. I think this may be a trap. Greyback’s supporters know Ron is away, and figure Harry will be vulnerable if he goes after him now. From what I hear, they leaked a location close to where they are. Once Harry gets there, they will hide while he looks around.

“It is so close to the full moon, they don’t have to wait long before they can attack Harry and anyone with him. I have to go and stop him from going.” Bill started towards the door.

Sirius jumped to his feet. “I am going with you,” he said. Bill stopped and turned around to look at him.

“Sirius, no. You can’t go. You have to stay here,” Hermione pleaded also getting to her feet. “Harry won’t go alone. Neville will go with him and I am sure he realises this may be a trap and will take extra Aurors with him.”

“Hermione is right, Sirus. You have to stay here. You would only be a distraction to Harry right now. I will go and try to stop him. If I can’t, I will go and help him. Don’t worry, I will keep Harry safe,” Bill assured him.

“I can’t stay here while Harry is in danger. I won’t,” Sirius said.

Hermione laid a restraining hand on Sirius’ arm. “You can’t go. I know you want to, but Bill is right. Harry doesn’t need to be worried about you right now,” she said then added, “Please.”

Sirius looked down at Hermione. He was torn. He wanted to go and help Harry. Once again, he was stuck in this house waiting while his godson put his life in danger. Feeling helpless, he looked at Bill.

“You promise to take care of Harry?” he asked.

“Yes. I know you don’t agree with us about staying here, but you have to. Hopefully, I will catch up with Harry at the Ministry and be able to stop him from going.” He again turned towards the door leading to the stairs. Stopping he looked back. “I will send word either way once I reach the Ministry.” With that, he strode out the door and up the stairs.

Hermione sat back down and looked at Sirius. She knew he was struggling with the same feelings of being useless as he had years ago when he was stuck hiding here while the Ministry under Fudge looked for him.

Sirius sighed heavily and sat down at the head of the table next to Hermione. It wasn’t a conscious thought to sit there, he did it automatically. He noticed Kreacher stiffened posture when he spotted where Sirius had sat down. Sirius was too worried about Harry to try to reassure an elf, he wasn’t convinced would even listen to him.

“Hermione, what happened to Bill’s face?” Sirius asked.

Hermione who after four years didn’t even notice Bill’s scars anymore was momentarily puzzled. She realised within seconds Sirius fell through the Veil before Bill had been attacked.

“The night Professor Dumbledore was killed, Bill was at Hogwarts fighting with us against the Death Eaters. He was attacked by Greyback-”

Sirius gasp cut her off. “You mean he is…” Sirius couldn’t finish the sentence.

“No,” Hermione said quickly, “Greyback wasn’t transformed when he attacked Bill.” Hermione reached over to take Sirius’ hand. “Bill isn’t a werewolf. He does have some side effects, but nothing major.”

“Side effects?” Sirius questioned.

“He likes his meat just about raw; he claims his hearing is improved along with his eyesight and sense of smell.” Hermione smiled at Sirius. “He said his improved hearing will help when Victoire grows up and starts dating.” Hermione chuckled.

“I feel sorry for any boy who wants to date her,” Sirius said before he, too, started laughing.

Over dinner, Hermione answered all the little questions Sirius asked. As they were finishing dinner, another Patronus this one in the form of a lion appeared in the kitchen.

“Harry left before I got to the Ministry,” came Bill’s voice, “I am going after him. Stay there, I will bring him home safe.”

“Hermione,” Sirius said but Hermione cut him off.

“Sirius, no. You can’t go. First of all, we don’t even know where to go. Second, Harry would be worried about you and protecting you, that would only distract him. You have to stay here.” Hermione again reached over the table to grasp Sirius’ hand.

“Harry has faced worse. He knows what he is doing. He isn’t the fifteen year old boy anymore, he is an adult.” Hermione hoped she didn’t sound patronising or mean, but Sirius had to understand staying here was the best thing he could do in this case.

After a few minutes, Sirius nodded his head. “Okay, I’ll stay here. Let’s go upstairs and you can tell me more about my adult godson.” Smiling, Sirius stood and pulled Hermione to her feet. Still holding her hand, he started towards the stairs.

Sirius held Hermione’s hand all the way up to the Drawing room, and continued to hold it even after they sat side by side on the sofa. In his mind, he continued to argue with the good half of himself and the bad.

Over the next several hours, they talked about everything and nothing. Both were tense and anxious awaiting either news or Harry to come home. It was after midnight when their conversation started to drift into silence.

Hermione eyes began to drift close and without thinking leaned against Sirius. Sirius gently placed his arm around her shoulders and pulled her closer to him. As he had done the previous night, he settled into the corner of the sofa, adjusting Hermione so she was lying between him and the back of the sofa.

Sirius knew he should not be enjoying this as much as he was. The thoughts going through his mind were ones he probably should not be having. But he couldn’t stop himself from snuggling next to her and allowing himself to drift to sleep.

*****

Hermione was having the most wonderful dream. She was lying in the arms of the man she loved and could feel him gently stroking her hair. She could feel the kiss he placed on her forehead. Sighing, she adjusted herself so her head was pressed against his chest. She could hear his heartbeat, steady though slightly fast.

Slowly, Hermione realised the warmth she was feeling was too strong to be a dream. She didn’t move at first, trying to remember exactly where she was and who she was lying with. Within seconds, she realized she had once again fell asleep on a sofa with Sirius and woke with her body curled into his.

She continued to stay perfectly still. If she was honest with herself, she was enjoying this far more than she should. She knew it was wrong, but what could a few more moments hurt? It had been so long since someone had just held her. Hermione thoughts turned to Ron and before she knew it, she was crying into Sirius’ chest.

“Hush, it’s okay,” Sirius said soothingly. Sirius pulled Hermione closer to him. He held her tightly in his arms and let her cry. He didn’t know why she was crying, but he had a feeling it had something to do with Ron.

As her tears began to lessen, Sirius pulled back slightly so he could look into her face. “Do you want to talk about it?” he asked gently.

“It’s just…” Hermione’s voice broke. After a few more tears, she drew a deep breathe. “I’m sorry. It’s just sometimes, it hurts. I am happy for him, for both of them, but…” She stopped talking and pushed against Sirius’ chest so she was able to sit up.

Sirius swung his legs onto the floor as she sat up. He looked down at her tearstained face feeling helpless.

Sirius would never know what made him do it, he would think later it was the reckless side of him coming out, but he reached out and gently tucked the loose strand of hair that had fallen on Hermione’s face behind her ear. He then slowly, as if giving her time to move, bent down and gently kissed her. The kiss lasted only a moment but when he drew back, her eyes were for an instant clouded, before the confusion entered them.

“Hermione, I’m sorry. I don’t know why I did that,” he said.

Hermione just looked at him. She didn’t say anything. Reaching up, she laid her hand on his cheek as she leaned towards him.

Taking this as a sign she wanted him to kiss her again, he pulled her into his arms. Once again lowering his head, he gently brushed his lips across hers. He wanted to give her the time to pull away if she chose to. When she merely leaned more towards him, Sirius slowly deepened the kiss.

Though he intended to keep this first genuine kiss simple and light, it took everything Sirius had to not give in to the feelings that were coursing through him. Tenderly, he stroked her face as he drew back.

“Hermione,” he whispered.

‘Don’t say anything,” she said, “please.” She lowered her head to his chest as she wrapped her arms more securely around him. They sat like this, each lost in their own thoughts, until they heard the rattle of the doorknob.

Hermione was the first to react, jumping up from the sofa. She gave a frantic look at Sirius before rushing to the door. As her hand grasped the handle, she looked back towards the sofa. Sirius was no longer sitting there and it took her a few seconds to find him in the corner behind the door.

Carefully, she pulled the door open and upon seeing Ginny standing there, she pushed Ginny back out of the door.

“Ginny, what are you doing here?” she asked quickly. “Harry didn’t tell me you were in town.”

“I came to surprise him. Where is he?” Ginny asked. She looked towards the now closed door of the drawing room then back at Hermione, suspicion in her eyes.

“He’s...he had to follow a lead Kingsley received tonight,” Hermione knew her stumbling words were going to cause more suspicion. Sighing, Hermione knew she had to not only tell Ginny about Harry’s assignment, but about Sirius too.

“Ginny, there are a couple things I need to tell you,” Hermione said, taking Ginny’s arm. “Let’s go down to the kitchen.”

Ginny looked from Hermione to the closed door and then back again. “I’m not hungry and I think I want to know why you don’t want me going into that room.” Before Hermione could react, Ginny broke out of her grasp and opened the door to the drawing room stepping quickly inside.

Hermione held her breath even as she rushed after Ginny. “Ginny, I can explain...” her words stopped when she realised the room was completely empty.

“Explain what exactly?” Ginny asked, curiosity replacing the suspicion in her voice.

“Ginny, let’s sit down. This is going to take awhile. First, I’m sure though you are wondering why I was acting so strange, I think you would rather know where Harry is.” At Ginny’s nod, Hermione continued, “He got a message from Kingsley shortly after we got home tonight. The Ministry received intelligence on Greyback’s whereabouts. He of course, rushed right out to follow the lead.”

At Ginny’s gasp, Hermione tried to give her a reassuring smile. “A little bit after Harry left, Bill showed up looking for him. He was worried it was a trap. He went after Harry and when he missed him at the Ministry, he went to help him.” Hermione took a deep breath. She knew Ginny was scared and worried.

“Ginny, Harry will be okay. Nothing will happen to him,” she said in an attempt to reassure her best friend.

Ginny nodded. “But, that doesn’t explain why you didn’t want me coming in here,” Ginny said as she looked around the room.

“No, it doesn’t. This is the part of the story that will take the most time and explaining.”

Before Hermione could go any further, Kreacher came bursting into the room. “I is bringing tea for the young misses ‘cause I is wanting to,” he said as he approached the two women. “I is not doing it for...for...him.” Kreacher shuddered as he said the last word.

Hermione understood at once. Apparently, somehow, Sirius had gotten down to the kitchen and told Kreacher to bring tea up to them. She knew it was too much to hope Ginny hadn’t caught the reference to someone else being in the house; someone Kreacher didn’t want to listen to.

“Hermione?” Ginny questioned.

“Part of the story,” Hermione answered. “Thank you, Kreacher. It was very thoughtful of you to bring us tea. If we need anything else, we will let you know.” Hermione spoke gently to the elf. She hoped the elf understood she would take care of the issue with Sirius.

Kreacher bowed low and murmuring under his breath about dead masters coming back, left the room.

Ginny looked at Hermione and raised her eyebrows in question. Hermione knew it was time to tell her everything.

“Kingsley came to my office this morning about a problem. He told me it was something he felt I had the proper experience to handle. It involved a Time-turner.” Hermione held up her hand to stop Ginny from speaking.

“Yes, they were all supposedly destroyed in the battle at the Ministry-”

“Supposedly?” gasped Ginny. Her face lost the little colour it had.

“One survived,” Hermione said. “During the battle in the Veil room, it fell through the Veil. It had been attached to the robes of one of the Death Eaters.”

Ginny quickly understood, far quicker than Hermione expected. “Who? Who came back?” she asked quietly.

Hermione could see the hope in Ginny’s eyes. Hermione opened her mouth to answer, to explain Fred couldn’t come back and why, when a voice came from the doorway.

“I did.”