Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Second Chance at Life and Love by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Again, I need to thank my beta, Alyssa (harry4lif).

I am not J.K. Rowling. Everything in this story you recognise is hers. I am thankful to play in this world for a time.
Ginny’s eyes swung from Hermione to the doorway; the doorway where Sirius Black, five years dead Sirius Black, stood. Her gaze swung back to Hermione and she crumbled.

Hermione reached for her as she fell and managed to push her towards the sofa. Rounding on Sirius, she said, “Was that really necessary?” Her voice laced with anger.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t think she would react like that,” he said softly. He walked over to where Hermione was kneeling beside the couch. “What should we do?”

“You should go over there and sit quietly. Let me explain,” she said. She looked at Ginny and saw she was stirring. “Ginny...Ginny, come on now. Open your eyes,” Hermione coaxed.

Ginny’s eyes slowly opened. She kept them fixed on Hermione’s face. “What happened?” she asked. “Did I just-”

“You fainted. I’m sorry, he shouldn’t have shocked you like that,” Hermione said and her eyes drifted over to where Sirius sat. Ginny followed her look and gasped.

“I saw...he’s really...but...” Ginny shook her head as if to clear it. Finally, she asked simply, “How?”

Ginny sat up and stared at Sirius as Hermione explained what had happened. When she got to the part about the necklace being also put around James and Lily, Hermione saw Ginny look around expectantly. At Sirius’ small shake of his head, Ginny’s face took on a resigned look.

Hermione finished her story and looked at Ginny. “This is real, then?” Ginny asked. When Hermione nodded, Ginny stood and walked over to Sirius. She leaned down and hugged him briefly. “I’m glad you are back, but I wish...”

“I guess I will be getting a lot of that,” Sirius said wryly. “I’m not who most people would have wanted to come back...given a choice.”

“No, Sirius, that is what I meant,” Ginny said. “I am happy you are back. Oh, Harry must be thrilled. It’s just...Fred...” her voice trailed off.

“He knows what you meant, Ginny. It’s okay. Sirius, maybe you could tell Ginny about Fred,” Hermione said encouragingly.

“You saw Fred? Is he okay, is he happy?” Ginny asked in a rush as she grabbed one of Sirius’ hands.

Sirius smiled. “He is fine, everyone is.” Sirius began to tell Ginny about some of the jokes Fred had been part of. Ginny had sat on the sofa to listen to the stories. Hermione laughed along with Ginny as she listened but as time went on, she began to get more worried about Harry.

She looked again at the clock on the mantle and when her eyes went back to Sirius, she saw understanding and the worry in his. Glancing at Ginny, she saw the same emotions mirrored in hers. Giving up all pretence of not worrying, Hermione stood and began to pace the room.

Kreacher came in and picked up the untouched tray of tea. Looking at Hermione he asked, “Kreacher is making dinner. Will Master be home?” he asked.

“I don’t know,” replied Hermione. “I know I’m not hungry,” she said and looked to Sirius and Ginny who shook their heads. “There really isn’t any need to make anything to eat. If Harry is hungry when he gets back, I can make him something.”

“Young miss will do no such thing,” said Kreacher indignantly. “Kreacher will make dinner and the young misses and the dead master will eat. Master Harry would want it that way,” he said firmly. “Kreacher will let you know when dinner is ready.” With that, he bustled out of the room.

Shaking his head, Sirius asked, “Is he always so bossy?”

“You have no idea,” said Hermione. “Do you believe me now that he has changed?”

“Maybe,” Sirius said. He stood and walked over to the window. He stood, shoulders slumped looking out the window.

“Sirius, can I ask you something?” Hermione waited until he turned around and nodded. “How did you get out of this room? I was right outside the door with Ginny, so I know you didn’t leave through the door.

Sirius began laughing. “I wondered when you were going to ask that.” He walked over to the fireplace. Standing on the right side, he reached out and pushed on the edge of the mantelpiece. The glass fronted cabinet next to the fireplace slid soundlessly forward, revealing a passageway.

“A secret passageway?” asked Hermione. “Where does it lead?” She walked over towards him followed closely by Ginny. “Are there more?”

“Yes, the whole house is connected to the passageways. You can get to any room by going through them. Well, any room except mine. The doorway in my room has been charmed to only open for me. Self-preservation on my part,” he said quietly.

When Hermione made to enter the passageway, Sirius reached out and pulled her back. “They haven’t been used for years. I don’t think anyone should be using them until I make sure they are safe.”

At that moment, they heard a shout from downstairs. Panic crossed Hermione’s face as she looked at Sirius. He shook his head and closed the passageway.

“Hermione!” yelled a voice once more from the hallway downstairs.

Hermione recognised Bill’s voice when he yelled once more and with Ginny keeping pace alongside her, rushed from the room. Hermione knew Sirius was right behind them but at this point, fear of what the shouting meant, she didn’t care. If anyone was with Bill, they would just have to deal with a man back from the dead.

“Bill, what’s wrong?” Hermione asked as she rushed down the stairs. The question was unnecessary when she spotted Bill holding an unconscious Harry in his arms. She felt herself being pushed to the side as Sirius rushed past her.

“Here,” he said as he pushed open the doors to the dining room. He rushed ahead of Bill and moved the vase off the table. “What happened and why in Merlin’s name didn’t you take him to St Mungo’s?”

Bill walked over to the table and gently laid Harry down. Ginny scrambled up onto the table and sat at Harry’s head and pulled it onto her lap. She brushed the hair out of his eyes.

“He told me if anything happened, I was to bring him here. He said he had to keep you safe and you would go to St Mungo’s without care as to the fallout.” Sirius nodded as he looked down on his godson.

“It was a trap, but Harry suspected it was. He and Neville had a plan to turn the tables on them. It would have worked if not for the Muggle child. She came out of nowhere and spotted one of Greyback’s followers hiding behind some dustbins. She asked him what he was doing and he grabbed her.

“There was nothing any of us could do but react. Neville snuck around behind him, while Harry and I distracted him. When he turned on Neville, Harry rushed in and grabbed the girl. He Apparated away, and returned within moments.” Bill shuddered.

“By that time, Neville and I were under fire. Then, Greyback showed up. For a moment the fighting stopped, but when Greyback spotted me, he got angry. Suddenly, they all turned on me.”

“ENOUGH!” roared Sirius causing all of them to jump. “What happened to Harry?”

Hermione had momentarily gotten caught up in Bill’s story and Sirius’ outburst had her refocusing on Harry. Spotting the blood running down his arm, she yelled for Kreacher. When he entered the room with a loud, Crack, Hermione rushed to tell him what she needed.

Once the elf scurried off to get the requested items, Hermione began trying to get Harry’s jacket off him. Seeing what she was trying to do, Bill and Sirius helped her by sitting him up so she could get it off him. She removed his shirt and Ginny gasped at the gash down his arm.

“Oh, Ron is going to love this one. Splinched himself,” Hermione muttered. Another loud Crack announced Kreacher’s return. Hermione turned and grabbed the bottle of Essence of Dittany from him. Pouring it on the wound, she reached and took the bandages Kreacher held out to her and began cleaning around the wound.

“When he got back from rescuing the Muggle girl, we were too busy fighting to notice he was bleeding. It was only after the cowards left that we saw the blood,” explained Bill. “The adrenaline was wearing off, and he suddenly collapsed.”

As Hermione worked to clean up the blood, Harry moaned. Ginny jumped and leaned down close to his face. “Harry, Harry, come on, wake up,” she said.

“Ginny?” asked Harry weakly. “What...Ginny, you have to get out of here...Greyback-”

“Its okay, Harry. You are safe. You’re at Grimmauld Place,” said Ginny soothingly.

“I’m at Grimmauld Place?” Harry asked before suddenly sitting up. It was only Sirius’ quick reflexes that kept Ginny from tumbling backwards off the table. “Ginny, you-” Whatever Harry had been about to say, never came out of his mouth as he fell backwards onto Ginny’s lap, unconscious again.

“Hermione?” Ginny’s voice was laced with fear.

Hermione looked down at Harry. “He’s okay. He just moved too fast. When Ron Splinched himself, he was weak for a couple days, and he didn’t lose as much blood as Harry. But, I think maybe we should get some Blood-Replenishing Potion from St Mungo’s for him.” She looked around. She knew Ginny wouldn’t leave Harry, Sirius couldn’t go and Bill going would probably raise too many questions.

“I’ll pop over and get some. I work for the Ministry so questions should be kept at a minimum...at least I hope,” she told them. She was just turning to leave, when Kreacher came quickly into the room. He handed Hermione a bottle.

“For my master,” he said. “Kreacher takes care of Master, even if Master doesn’t know.”

Hermione looked down at the potion. “What is this?” she asked as she uncorked the small vial and smelled the contents.

“Blood-Replenishing Potion,” came the reply from the doorway. Kingsley strode into the room, and looked at the assembled company. He nodded to Bill, and looked at Sirius. “I am guessing Harry’s plan to keep you a secret has hit a couple snags,” he said, humour evident in his voice.

Ginny and Hermione were doing their best to try to get Harry to drink some of the potion. The fact he was unconscious was making it difficult. They managed to get a few drops down his throat, when Hermione gave up.

“We will just have to wait until he is conscious again,” she said, stepping back. “It wasn’t Harry’s fault, sir. Bill came looking for Harry and so did Ginny.”

Kingsley held up a hand. “I knew it wouldn’t take long for someone to discover he was here. After all, Grimmauld Place is a very popular place. I knew this when I agreed to let Sirius come here.”

“You knew?” gasped Hermione.

“Yes, I knew. I knew it would only be family who would discover he was alive. I knew the first test of the reactions should be family since they would be the easiest to control. Though I am sure the reactions from others will be stronger, responding to family will help all of you with dealing with others.” Kingsley smiled.

He looked at Sirius. “I think the rest of the Weasley family should be told before the general wizarding population finds out. I don’t recommend taking an ad out in The Daily Prophet but I see no reason why we need to keep your return a secret. Your record is completely clear and in fact, I believe the Ministry owes you a full and complete apology.” Kingsley smiled and walked over to hug Sirius. “If you are interested in a job...” He let the sentence dangle.

Sirius laughed. He was joined by Bill and Kingsley. It was the laughter that had Harry’s eyes opening. He tried to sit up, but Ginny held him down.

“No, stay still,” she said. “Hermione has some medicine for you to drink. Everything is okay, you are safe.”

“But, Ginny, I can explain-” His words were cut off by Ginny pressing her finger against his lips.

“Harry,” Kingsley said as he came around the table so Harry could see him. “It is okay. I just told Sirius that once you tell the Weasleys about him, hiding him is over. I knew when I said he could come here, it wouldn’t be long his return would be a secret. So, no worries.”

Harry looked at Kingsley. “You knew? Then why did you argue against it?”

“Because if I didn’t raise any objections, you would have thought something was going on,” Kingsley answered. Seeing Harry’s nod of agreement, he continued, “I had many reasons I could have used to keep him at the Ministry, and to prevent you and Hermione from telling anyone. However, there was a very compelling reason, to just let you bring him home.” Kingsley paused letting everyone wonder for a bit at what that reason could be.

“After everything each of you have been through, how could I deny any of you the joy of having a loved one returned to you?” Kingsley smiled. “Now, if I may suggest, I think the reunion can wait until you are a bit stronger. I think a day or two of rest is in order. I will get a report from Bill, and Neville, and you can add yours in a couple days.”

“Sir, I can give you my report now,” Harry said as he tried to sit up. Ginny helped to steady him as Sirius and Kingsley each grabbed one of his arms. “Just let me sit for a moment, and I’ll tell you everything.”

Kingsley just shook his head. “Okay, I won’t argue with you about it, but how about we get you up to bed first? Then you can give me your report.”

Sirius and Kingsley each kept a tight hold on Harry as they helped him walk out of the dining room and up the stairs. They paused briefly on each of the landings. By the time they reached the top floor and the door to Sirius’ bedroom, they were practically carrying Harry.

“Give us a few minutes to get him settled and give his report to Kingsley,” Sirius said to the others. He saw each of them nod their heads. Hermione and Bill turned for the staircase, but Ginny looked at Sirius stubbornly.

“Ginny, I’ll call you as soon as he is done...I promise.” Sirius looked at Hermione, who came over to take Ginny by the arm. She pulled her gently towards the stairs, reassuring her that Harry would be okay.

As Sirius and Kingsley entered the bedroom, they found Kreacher was already there and had a fire going and the bed turned down.

“If the dead master will let Kreacher take care of his Master, Kreacher will get him settled.”

“Its okay, Kreacher. We can manage,” Sirius said, surprise at the house-elf’s commitment to Harry made Sirius’ voice kind. “Kreacher,” Sirius said to the house-elf whose head had dropped at his words, “thank you for getting the room ready.”

Kreacher looked at Sirius with surprise evident on his face. “Kreacher is only doing what Kreacher wants. Master Harry is injured and Kreacher must take care of him.” The house-elf stood straight up and tried to look intimidating.

Sighing, Sirius nodded. As he and Kingsley half carried, half dragged Harry towards the bed, Sirius burst out laughing. Both Kreacher and Kingsley looked at him curiously.

“This reminds me of the night of James’ bachelor party. Remus and I had to drag him to bed after he finished a bottle of Firewhisky almost completely on his own.” Sirius was laughing so hard as he explained, he almost dropped Harry.

Kreacher rushed over to help get Harry into bed. He then pushed Kingsley and Sirius aside as he began getting Harry out of his clothes. Sirius and Kingsley moved a short distance away from the bed.

“I will leave you to talk to Harry,” Sirius said. “Just one thing, were you serious in your offer of a job?”

“Yes, I was. You need to take some time, but when you are ready, there is a job for you in the Auror department. Though, that will mean, your godson will be your boss,” Kingsley said chuckling.

Sirius laughed and patted Kingsley’s shoulder as he left the room. He was about to be a free man with a job. He felt a momentary twinge for the loss of his friends, but he also felt excitement. He had his life back and he was going to make the most of it.

As he started down the stairs, he heard Hermione’s laughter echoing up the stairs. Yes, I am going to make the most of it, he thought to himself, and smiled broadly at the thought.