Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Second Chance at Life and Love by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I wish to thank my wonderful friend and beta, Alyssa (harry4lif).

I would also like to thank Thea (ProfPosky) for the inspiration for this chapter.

Everything you recognise belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am thankful to her for creating a world which I get to play in.

Sirius could hear everyone in the Drawing room. He stopped outside the door and just listened. Hearing the voices, he was reminded of the Christmas the Weasleys came here. The Christmas before he died. Sirius shuddered at the thought.

He stepped back from the door. He didn’t quite understand why, but he felt like he didn’t belong here. He realised that it was true. He didn’t belong in this time. He was more out of place and time now then after he escaped from Azkaban.

He must have made some noise, because the door opened. Standing in the doorway was Ginny. She looked at him and he could see the lingering fear in her eyes.

“He’s fine,” Sirius told her. “Kingsley is talking to him now. You’ll be able to go up to him in a few minutes.”

“Thanks,” she said. “Are you okay? Why are you just standing out here?” she asked.

“I...it’s nothing,” Sirius said quickly. “I was just thinking about...” He shrugged his shoulders. “It doesn’t matter.” He smiled at her. He wouldn’t add to anyone’s problems by bringing up his own feelings of being out of sorts.

They both turned when they heard someone coming down the steps. Kingsley was shaking his head and looked at both of them.

“Ginny, Harry is asking for you. It seems he feels he owes you an apology for not telling you about Sirius. Which I told him is crazy as he really didn’t have time to tell anyone anything before I called him back to the office.” Kingsley smiled at Ginny.

“Of course it is crazy,” she said as she headed towards the stairs. “I swear if he doesn’t learn everything is not his fault...” She let her voice trail off as she marched up the steps.

“Sirius, I need to get Bill’s account of what happened tonight. I could use your opinion on what happened and how to proceed,” Kingsley said.

“My opinion? I’ve been a bit out of touch lately,” he said ruefully.

“You may have missed some things, but that is just what I need: someone who can look at what has been going on from an outsider’s point of view.”

Sirius felt the weight of the word ‘outsider’ like a lance to his chest. That is just what he was. He looked at Kingsley and nodded. “I can do that as I guess that is what I am...an outsider to this, to life.” Sirius turned and went into the Drawing room.

Sirius went and stood by the fireplace. He barely spared a look at Hermione or Bill. He stood with his back to the room, once again examining the pictures on the mantel.

Hermione looked from Sirius to Kingsley. “Is something wrong?” she asked.

“No,” answered Kingsley. “Ginny went upstairs to Harry. Bill, he told me what happened, but I need to hear your side.” Kingsley walked over and sat down in one of the armchairs facing the sofa where Hermione and Bill sat.

As Bill went through what happened, Sirius walked around the room. Every now and then he would stop and look at something that had changed in his absence. Hermione watched him closely. She couldn’t understand the anger radiating from him.

“Sirius, what do you think?” Kingsley asked when Bill finished his story.

Sirius had walked completely around the room and was once again standing at the fireplace. He turned and looked at Kingsley. “I think what Bill said earlier about this being a set up is probably correct. The question is why? Is he trying to establish the werewolves above wizards? Or, is it purely for revenge?”

Hermione gasped. “Ron and Neville are the ones who stopped him during the final battle. Could he be trying to get back and them and Harry for what happened five years ago?”

“It’s possible,” said Kingsley. “Greyback managed to kill two Aurors when he escaped custody after the battle. He was injured in the fight and could have been just waiting for his chance to seek revenge.” Kingsley stood. “I need to get to the Ministry. Neville is there writing out his report. I also need to contact Ron and get him back here where he can be protected.”

Kingsley looked at Bill. “I don’t know why your presence made Greyback angrier unless it was because you had survived his attack and were there to help Harry and Neville thereby ruining his plans to kill them. I would recommend you are on alert and protect your family.”

Bill nodded and also stood. “I will stop by the Burrow and warn Mum and Dad on my way home.” Seeing Sirius’ look, he continued, “I won’t say anything about you, but once they hear the story, they will be here to check on Harry.” Bill walked over and shook Sirius’ hand. “It really is good to have you back.” He turned and after nodding to Kingsley and smiling reassuringly at Hermione, rushed out the door.

“I will be in touch,” Kingsley said. “Sirius, I would suggest after the Weasleys’ visit, you get to Diagon Alley and get yourself a wand. I think you may need it.” Kingsley turned and rushed out the door.

Sirius turned back to stare at the photographs. Hermione stood and walked over to stand next to him. “Sirius, what’s wrong?” she asked gently as she placed a hand on his arm.

Sirius shrugged away from her hand. He gestured towards the photographs. “This is what is wrong,” he said. “Other than the pictures of Lily and James, I am clueless to the rest.” Sirius turned and began pacing around the room.

“I don’t belong here. Harry is grown and faced more in his life than I ever did. He doesn’t need me. I have no reason to be here,” he said flatly.

“You’re wrong, you know,” came Harry’s voice from the doorway. “I do need you.”

Sirius and Hermione turned towards the doorway. They watched as Harry, Ginny helping him, came into the room. He sat down on the sofa and looked at his godfather. “I may not need you like I did years ago, but I still need you.”

Sirius looked at Harry and sighed. He didn’t know how to explain to him what he was feeling. How did he explain he felt like he was five years out of time? No, he thought ruefully, not five years, more like twenty-three years.

It didn’t matter he had a few years of supposed freedom when Harry was in school, he still felt as if he hadn’t lived, truly lived, since James and Lily died. Sirius went over and sat next to Harry.

“You don’t need me,” Sirius said. “You don’t need a substitute father...not now. Maybe you never did,” he said sadly.

Harry looked at Sirius, shock and anger written on his face. “Is that what you think? That just because I am an adult, I don’t need you?” At Sirius’ nod, Harry stood.

“Here we go,” said Hermione looking at Ginny. Ginny nodded and leaned back on the sofa shaking her head.

“Harry,” Hermione said, “don’t-”

“Stay out of this, Hermione,” Harry said to her. “I don’t understand how you could think that I wouldn’t need you. You think I enjoy not having any family of my own? That I would rather be alone than to have you in my life?” Harry stopped and took a deep breath.

“Do you honestly believe that just because my life isn’t in mortal danger, I don’t need you? That the only reason I could ever need you was to protect me?” He started pacing around the room.

“Let me tell you something,” he said, “I never needed you for that. I faced Voldemort at eleven years old, before I ever knew who you were. I was ready to kill you the first time I saw you. I didn’t need you then for protection and I don’t need you now for it.”

“Exactly my point,” Sirius said. “You don’t need me.” Standing, Sirius looked at Harry defiantly.

Harry walked over to stand in front of Sirius. “I never said I didn’t need you. I said I didn’t need you to protect me, never did, never will. But, I do need you in my life. I may not need a, how did you put it? Oh, yeah, a surrogate father, but I need you. You are family and everyone needs family.” Harry reached out and hugged Sirius. “I love you and I am glad you are back.”

Hermione watched the scene with tears in her eyes. She had no doubt there was more to Sirius’ words than he let out. She had expected there to be some disorientation and feelings of misplacement from Sirius. It just surprised her how quickly they had come out.

As they broke apart, Hermione decided it was time to change the subject. “Harry, what are you doing out of bed?” she asked. “You should be resting.”

Harry smiled at her and glanced back at Ginny. “I think it is time to let the rest of the family know about Sirius. It is time to go to the Burrow.”

“We sent an owl already to Mum asking her to get everyone there. We told her we had something to tell them,” said Ginny.

“They are probably going to think you are going to tell them you are getting married,” said Hermione.

Ginny gasped. “I didn’t think about that. Oh, they probably will,” she said.

“And instead of happy news, they will get me,” said Sirius sadly.

“Sirius! You being back is happy news,” said Hermione. Harry and Ginny both nodded in response to Hermione’s statement.

Sirius didn’t answer right away. “So, how are we going to do this? You can’t just show up with me. I think a bit of warning first would be good.”

“It doesn’t much matter what we say, it is going to be a shock regardless.” Harry smiled. “We are all going to Apparate to the field behind the house. Then Ginny and I will go in and without telling them exactly what is going on, prepare them for a surprise.”

“Harry, maybe you better tell them everything before I get there,” Sirius said.

“How about this, we will play it by ear. I’d rather it be a surprise, but we’ll see how it goes,” Harry said.

There was a tapping on the window and they all turned to look. Harry’s owl was sitting there waiting to be let in. Harry went over and slid the window open. The owl flew in and landed on the back of the sofa by Ginny. He held out his leg to her.

Ginny took the note from the owl and opened it. She read it quickly and groaned. “It’s from Mum,” she said and she began to read:

“Ginny,

Family is all on the way. Everyone will be here when the both of you arrive. It is a good thing I haven’t sent your Aunt Muriel’s tiara back to her yet.

Mum”


“She thinks we are going to tell her we are getting married,” Ginny said.

Harry smiled. “Well, would that be such a bad thing?” he asked. “I mean...us getting married.”

“Harry, are you proposing to me?” asked Ginny.

“Um...well...yeah, I guess I am,” Harry said quietly. He walked over to where Ginny sat. “Ginny, will you marry me?”

“Yes, I will,” she said and she reached up, pulling Harry down next to her. Harry wrapped his arms around her and began kissing her.

Sirius walked over to Hermione and taking her hand nodded his head towards the door. She smiled and nodded back.

They went down to the kitchen knowing it would probably be a little while before they went to the Burrow.