Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Second Chance at Life and Love by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I wish to thank my beta, Alyssa, (harry4lif).

I do not own anything you recognise in this story. J.K. Rowling owns it all. I am just thankful to be able to play in her world for a little while.
Hermione and Sirius had barely settled at the kitchen table, each with a cup of tea, when Harry and Ginny came down the stairs. Sirius smiled as a memory of James and Lily holding hands as they walked into the kitchen at Remus’ to announce their engagement.

“We got another owl from Mum,” Ginny began, “she said everyone is there, even Ron and Serena. They are all just waiting for us.”

Hermione stood, but Sirius remained sitting. “Perhaps, I should stay here. Once you tell them, if they want to see me, they can come here,” Sirius said.

Hermione sighed. She knew if someone didn’t stop Sirius’ ‘poor me’ attitude now, it would only get worse. “Absolutely not, you are coming with us now. You have no reason to stay hidden away again. It is time you start living again and going to the Burrow is the first step.” Her tone was so determined, Sirius just looked at her. She could see the surprise in his eyes, and hoped he wouldn’t argue.

“Fine,” he said, “but just remember that I don’t think it is such a good idea to just spring me on them.”

They went back upstairs and opening the door, Harry said to Hermione, “We’ll go first. You should go to the field behind the house then wait by Arthur’s shed. I’ll let you know when to come in.”

Nodding, Hermione watched as Harry and Ginny, still holding hands Disapparated from the front stoop. She took Sirius’s hand and pulled him out the door to follow them.

*****

Harry’s eyes had barely adjusted to the sunlight when he heard the kitchen door open and found himself and Ginny being embraced by Molly.

“Mum,” Ginny said as she pulled away. “Mum, we have some incredible news and it would be better if we told everyone at once.”

“Yes, yes,” said Molly as she took Ginny’s hand and pulled them both towards the house. “I think I know what you are going to tell us, and I am so happy.”

Ginny and Harry looked at each other and shook their heads. They both began chuckling softly knowing Molly was in for a complete shock.

The kitchen of the Burrow was crowded with people. Harry was surprised to see that even Charlie was there. He let go of Ginny’s hand and went over to Ron.

“Sorry to cut your honeymoon short, but I’m glad you are here,” Harry said to him.

“Don’t know why Mum is making such a big deal about this,” Ron said. “It isn’t like we didn’t all know it was coming.”

“Sorry, mate, you couldn’t have possibly known this was coming,” Harry said. He nodded to Bill as Ginny came over to stand beside him.

“I know you all think you know why you are here,” Harry began, “but that reason isn’t the real one.” He took a deep breath. “Something happened a couple days ago at the Ministry and it is...” His voice trailed off.

“Wonderful,” finished Ginny.

At everyone’s questioning look, Harry smiled down at Ginny. “It is a bit complicated but I’ll try to shorten it at first. Kingsley went to Hermione and-”

“Where is Hermione?” asked Ron.

“Outside, she’ll be in in a minute,” answered Ginny. “Give Harry a chance to explain.”

“Anyway, Kingsley told Hermione he had a problem in the Department of Mysteries that she was the best person to handle. It involved a Time Turner.” Harry held up a hand to stop the questions. “It seems during the battle we had with the Death Eaters, one of the Time Turners was knocked into the Veil of Mysteries.” Harry saw a flicker of hope cross Molly’s eyes and his heart broke that he was about to dispel her hope.

“No, before anyone thinks it, no one dead can come back through the Veil. However, someone did come back, someone who wasn’t dead when they went through the Veil.” Harry waited and saw the confusion on everyone’s faces.

“You only go through the Veil when you are dead,” said Ron. “Well, except for...except for...” Ron looked at Harry, his eyes wide as he made the connection from what Harry said to where this was going.

Harry pulled out his wand and cast a Patronus. “It’s time,” he said as he sent the stag out the door.

“There is only one person we know of who fell through the Veil while alive,” Harry said. There were gasps of shock as everyone finally understood. As the kitchen door opened and Hermione came in, every head turned towards her. She was holding her hand behind her and Harry could tell she was pulling Sirius in the house.

No one moved or spoke when Sirius stepped fully into the kitchen. After several moments, Molly walked over to him and drew him into a hug. Harry could see the tears in her eyes and knew it was from both happiness and from disappointment.

This movement brought everyone out of their trance and the kitchen erupted into complete chaos. Everyone had to hug him or shake Sirius’ hand. He was drawn further into the kitchen and questions flew from everyone at once.

It took nearly an hour for explanations to be given and understood. Harry had watched as the hope in Molly’s eyes faded. He noticed while she was happy Sirius was back, the sadness that was always present in her eyes was a bit more noticeable tonight.

Through all the explaining, Hermione never left Sirius’ side. She often reached out and took his hand in hers as he told his story over and over again. She would gently squeeze it and he would return the squeeze before letting her hand go. None of this escaped Ron’s notice. When Hermione excused herself briefly, Ron stood and followed her. He waited at the bottom of the steps for her to come back down.

“Ron, is something wrong?” she asked when she saw him at the bottom of the stairs.

“No, yes, maybe, I really don’t know,” Ron answered.

“Well, that certainly clears things up,” Hermione said smiling.

“What is going on with you and Sirius?” Ron asked quickly.

“Going on? What do you mean? Nothing is going on, Ron. And even if it was, it really is none of your business,” she answered and tried to move past him.

“Hermione,” Ron said as he reached out and grabbed her arm to stop her, “I know it isn’t really any of my business. But, we are still friends, aren’t we?”

Hermione hesitated before answering. She had long ago accepted his relationship with Serena. She had attended his wedding and even served as a bridesmaid. There were just some odd moments where the crack in her heart over Ron opened again.

“Yes, we are friends. Look, Sirius is having a hard time right now. Imagine coming back five years after everyone accepted you were dead. To you, it seems as if no time has passed. I am just trying to help him through all of this.” Hermione gave Ron a small smile. “So, how was France?” she asked.

“We never got there,” said Ron. “I convinced Serena to go and visit Charlie first and we were still there when Mum used the Floo to tell Charlie to come home. We set out immediately using the Floo Network and a couple Port Keys. Mum thought Harry and Ginny were going to announce they are getting married.” Ron shook his head.

Hermione grinned. “Come on, I have to remind them.” She turned and rushed back into the kitchen with Ron following behind. Hermione leaned down between Harry and Ginny and whispered something.

“There are two other things we need to talk about,” said Harry when there was a break in the conversation. “One is the attack on Neville and me and also Bill today. The other...” He looked down at Ginny.

When she nodded to him, he looked at Molly and Arthur before speaking. “I have asked Ginny to marry me and if you have no objections, then I guess we are engaged.”

There was a brief moment of silence and then the kitchen erupted into chaos once again. As everyone crowded around Harry and Ginny, Sirius slipped from the room unnoticed by the others save one: Ron.

Ron saw Sirius going out the door and after whispering to Serena, he quietly followed him. He found him standing leaning on the fence surrounding the garden.

“Sirius,” Ron said, “can I talk to you for a minute?”

“Sure,” said Sirius. “What’s on your mind?”

“Look, it is really great to have you back, I’m sure Harry is overjoyed, but...”

“But?” Sirius asked warily.

“Hermione,” said Ron simply, “I couldn’t help but notice how close the two of you seem.”

Sirius didn’t answer, he merely nodded his head. He had a feeling he knew where this was going and he was sure Ron’s comments were not going to be any different from his own arguments to himself.

“Look, we broke up a long time ago, but she is still my friend. I know right now she is vulnerable and I don’t want to see her hurt.” Ron looked over at Sirius. Ron could tell Sirius was listening to him, but there seemed to be a look of guilt on his face. “I don’t know what is going on between the two of you, but just don’t hurt her,” Ron added.

“There is nothing you can say that I haven’t already told myself. I know I should stay far away from her but I just can’t,” Sirius said remorsefully. “I don’t know where this is going, but I don’t think I have much choice in letting it go where it will.”

Ron studied the man standing before him. He looked exactly the same as he did five years ago. Ron wanted to argue he was too old for Hermione, but after seeing Tonks and Remus and their love, he just couldn’t justify that argument. Instead, he just nodded.

“It really is good to have you back,” Ron said. He smiled and turned to go back to the house only to see Hermione standing only a few feet behind the two of them.

Hermione didn’t know what to say. One on hand, she was angry with Ron for stepping in and questioning Sirius; what right did he have to do that? On the other hand, she was touched he still cared enough to question him. Instead of saying anything, she just gave him a small smile as he passed.

“Hi,” Hermione said shyly. She had heard what Sirius said about their relationship and wasn’t quite sure how she felt about it.

“Hi,” Sirius said, a huge smile crossing his face. “I had to get out of the house for a little bit, I felt-”

“Like you were out of place and time? It’s okay, though I can’t say I completely understand what you are going through, I do understand how hard this must be for you.” Hermione smiled back at Sirius and reached out to take his hand.

“Yeah, that is how I feel. It is so strange to see Harry grown up enough to get married. Bloody hell, Ron is already married.” Seeing the quick flash of something, possibly pain, cross Hermione’s eyes, Sirius rushed on, “I’m sorry, Hermione. That must be so hard for you.”

“No, I’m okay with it. We are better off as friends. I am happy for him, I really am,” she added after seeing the look of disbelief on his face. “He has his life and I have mine.” She decided in that moment to take a chance and lifted up on her toes to kiss Sirius.

Sirius didn’t hesitate; he bent his head and gave into the urge he had been fighting all day. He wrapped his arms around her and pulled her into his embrace.

“What in the bloody hell is going on?” came the voice of Harry Potter.