Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Second Chance at Life and Love by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: I would like to thank my beta: Maple_and_PheonixFeather. Once again, she found all those pesky little things that I missed and made this chapter so much better.

I also wish to thank my faithful readers. My muse is back and is going full steam writing chapters for this story. So updates will be coming. Thank you for sticky with me. I hope you enjoy the new chapters.

I am not J.K. Rowling. Everything you recognise belongs to her. I am just thankful to play in her world for a little while.



****************




Hermione broke away from Sirius and turned quickly to face Harry. –Harry-”

–Hermione, don’t,” interrupted Sirius.

–No, Hermione, don’t,” repeated Harry. –I don’t want explanations, or maybe I do. Imagine my surprise when I noticed one of my best friends and my godfather missing from the celebration going on in there,” Harry said sarcastically as he pointed back towards the house. –I thought that maybe... that maybe you were having a hard time with so many people, and Hermione came out here to talk to you. Guess you both came out here for another reason.”

–Harry, no, it isn’t like that,” protested Hermione.

–Oh, care to tell me what it is like?” Harry asked mockingly.

Hermione opened her mouth to answer, but Sirius was quicker. –I did come outside because it was just too much, but…” He stopped and looked down at Hermione. –Ron followed me out, and then as he left, Hermione was there. Harry, I don’t know what is going on here myself any more than you do. That kiss…that kiss just happened,” Sirius finished.

–Hermione?” Harry questioned.

–Harry, I don’t know, either,” she said softly. –It’s just…well” She didn’t seem able to finish her thoughts, so she just shrugged.

–Hermione, Ginny is looking for you, go back in the house. I need to talk to Sirius,” Harry said. He saw she was about to protest. –GO!”

It was shock of Harry raising his voice that had Hermione walking back to the house. She wanted to argue, to try to explain, but since she didn’t have any idea herself what was going on, she decided it was time to talk to another female about this and Ginny was just the right person.

–Harry-”

–Look, Hermione is old enough to make her own decisions, whether I agree with them or not, but I won’t stand by and watch her be hurt,” Harry said, his voice carried a note of anger along with something that sounded to Sirius like a warning.

–Funny, Ron basically told me the same thing,” Sirius said. –I will tell you the same thing I told him, I don’t know what is going on with me and Hermione. I have been arguing with myself since I came back over it. It’s so strange; after all, it wasn’t two weeks ago, you all were teenagers fighting in a battle that should never have touched your lives. And here you all are...grown into adults. Ron’s married, you are engaged and Hermione...Hermione is...”

–Hermione is very vulnerable right now,” Harry said, an edge unmistakable in the tone of his voice. –I don’t want to see her hurt any more than she already has been. Look, I’m not saying you are going to hurt her, but I just don’t think now is the right time for either of you to start anything between you.”

–Shouldn’t that be something we decide between ourselves?” Sirius asked, his tone taking on bit of an edge of anger. –As I said, I don’t know what is going on between us, but, Harry, whatever it is, understand this, it is between us. I know you love her and are concerned for her and her wellbeing and I can promise you this: I have no plans on hurting her. So, in the interest of our relationship, Harry, let me say this as nicely as I can, back off.” With these words hanging in the air, Sirius turned on the spot and Disapparated.

Harry stared at the spot where his godfather disappeared and wondered if he had in fact stepped out of line. No, he decided, It is my right as Hermione’s best friend to look out for her best interests. And I am sure that a romantic relationship with Sirius is in her best interests. Turning, he walked slowly back into the house.

*****

Hermione entered the chaos that was still reining in the kitchen of the Burrow and walked over to Ginny. Leaning down, she whispered in her ear and asked her if she could talk to her upstairs in private. At Ginny’s nod, Hermione walked away and went up to Ginny’s room to wait. She didn’t have long to wait before Ginny joined her.

–So, what’s up?” Ginny asked as she sat down on the bed next to Hermione.

Hermione looked at her best friend and, for an instant, thought about making light of the situation. She realized quickly not only would Ginny see right through that, but it would tick her off and right now she needed a comforting shoulder, not Ginny in a temper.

–It’s Sirius,” Hermione began, –I...he...we...”

–Hermione, come on, I’ve never known you to be at a loss for words before,” Ginny said. –Wait a minute, Harry said you two were alone all night in that room in the Department of Mysteries...Hermione, you didn’t...”

–NO!” Hermione yelped and then clasped her hand over her mouth. Then lowering her head, she said, –But we have kissed, a few times.” She started crying.

Ginny didn’t hesitate; she wrapped her arms around her friend and let her cry. She had a feeling the tears were not only because she’d kissed Sirius, she suspected there was something else going on in Hermione’s mind.

After a few minutes, Ginny slowly pulled away. –Okay, that’s enough of that,” she said in a stern enough voice to have Hermione sniffing back the rest of her tears. –So you kissed Sirius. Big deal. Can’t say I blame you. I remember a few chats we had way back in school when we discussed the very same thing.” Seeing this brought some light into Hermione’s eyes at the memory. Ginny continued, –Now, why the tears? If you tell me it is guilt over kissing someone else that isn’t Ron, I’m going to take my wand out and hex you.”

–Of course it isn’t,” Hermione protested, but the protest didn’t really have much weight behind it. And even to Hermione’s ears, sounded weak. –It can’t be...I’m over Ron, honest. I’m happy for him and Serena. They are so right for each other.”

–Hmmm, who you trying to convince, me, or yourself?” Ginny asked.

–Okay, so maybe a few of the tears were guilt, but don’t hex me,” Hermione said and gave a small smile. –The rest were for a totally different reason. One that is much bigger than your worthless brother.”

–Oh, and what’s that?

–I think I’m falling in love with Sirius,” Hermione said in a small voice.

–You know, first I see the two of you kissing, and now this. You know what? I give up. Just don’t come to me when the two of you realize you both made a horrible mistake.” With those words, Harry turned and stormed down the stairs.

As Hermione made to stand, Ginny shook her head. –Let me go. I think he needs reminding that you are a grown woman who can make up her own mind. Oh, and if he starts about the age difference, I will just throw Remus and Tonks at him and how he fought with Remus over that very issue. That should shut him up very nicely.”

–Ginny, would you mind leaving the Remus and Tonks issue for me to use against him?” Hermione asked. –That is just the thing I need.”

–Not at all, just let me go and calm him down a bit, and then I’ll send him up to talk to you.”

Hermione stood and walked over to the window and looked down on the garden. She saw Harry walking towards the shed and, within a minute, Ginny rushing to catch up with him. She saw Harry shake his head and begin to walk away from her and Ginny pull out her wand.

Would Harry never learn? she wondered. She saw Harry stop and knew that just the threat of being hexed is what stopped him. Feeling guilty over watching them, she went back and sat on the bed to wait for Harry.

She didn’t have long to wait before she heard Harry’s footstep on the stairs. She had to smile at the sound of them; gone were the racing footfalls of the teenage child. These were the confident steps of the man Harry had become. She quickly removed the smile from her face before he entered the room. Neither spoke as he sat on the bed next to her.

–Ginny tells me that I owe you an apology for my outburst,” Harry said.

–And you always do whatever Ginny tells you to do,” Hermione answered sarcastically.

–Well, when she is holding her wand pointing at me, yeah, I do. But in this case...she is right. I’m sorry, Hermione. Not for what I said exactly, but for the way I said it.”

–That’s some apology,” Hermione said. –Not really an apology at all, is it?”

‘I think we need to talk about this. I guess you know I’m not really happy about you and Sirius and any type of romantic relationship between the two of you.”

–You think?” Hermione’s biting tone raised Harry’s eyebrows and made him smile.

–You’re not going to make this easy for me are you?” Harry asked and watched as Hermione shook her head. –Okay, look, you are in a very vulnerable spot right now. Don’t even deny it. You are my best friend, and I know you and how much you hide deep down. I’ve seen you put on the brave ‘I’ll just carry on’ face too many times.

–Sirius, Sirius right now is confused and feeling out of place. He is feeling like he doesn’t belong anywhere, like he isn’t needed or wanted. If you think about it, his life stopped when he was locked up in Azkaban. His life was basically over at twenty-one. Yes, he grew older, but he never had a chance to really grow up. Life continued on without him. So now, here he is and everything he ever knew is gone. Everything! Except for us. And to him, we should still be teenage kids. But we’re not, are we?

–No, we aren’t. That’s something that you need to remember, too. I’m not a teenage kid anymore either. Harry, I’m as much of an adult as you are. I was right there fighting alongside you in the final battle. I saw friends die; I lost just like you did. I stood by your side at each of the memorial services and funerals. I’ve helped to rebuild this world of ours just like you did. Harry, I’m not a child anymore and I haven’t been for a long time.” Hermione reached out and took Harry’s hand in hers.

–I know, Hermione, I know. I just can’t help that I still see that little girl who walked into the Great Hall telling everyone that it was ‘bewitched to look like the night sky’.* I can’t help it. You are more than my best friend, you are the sister I never had. I worry about you.” He reached out and pulled her into his arms and hugged her.

–Harry,” Hermione said when he let her go, –I understand that, but you trust me to know what I am feeling.”

–But Hermione, even you have to admit, there is one hell of an age gap,” Harry said.

Hermione had to give him credit for holding out on using that until all of his other arguments failed and for saying it with a straight face. Now if she could use Ginny’s argument with a straight face as well.

–Harry, I have only two words for that statement,” she began, –Remus and Tonks.” She could see he was trying to form a logical argument to use against that, but everything he was coming up with was falling short.

–Tonks was two years older than you and a fully trained Auror when she married Remus. Sirius is also older than Remus was when he married Tonks,” Harry said.

–First off, two years and a fully trained Auror? Come on, Harry. I think with what we went through with Voldemort, that point is moot. And I think the five years Sirius spent behind the Veil don’t really count in the aging process. So, what else have you got?” she asked sweetly.

After a few minutes of silence, Hermione once again took Harry’s hand in hers. She waited until he looked at her. –You were the one pushing all of Remus’ objections aside as he voiced all the reasons why he shouldn’t be with Tonks. And you were right with each of them. Harry, I understand you are worried, and I love you for it, but please, just let whatever this is be. I don’t know what it is or where it is going, but I’d like to know that you’re okay with me finding out.”

Harry sighed deeply. He understood Hermione’s need for his approval. He knew she would do it anyway, but deep down, she would always feel like she was betraying their friendship by exploring what may be happening between her and Sirius.

–Okay, fine. I won’t lie and tell you I am happy about it, but go ahead. Figure out what’s going on. Just please, take it slow, okay?” Harry pleaded.

–Harry, I promise to take it slow, but I’ll tell you right now, it isn’t going to take seven years this time.”

With that statement, they both burst out laughing. And for the first time, Harry had a feeling that Hermione might finally be over Ron.
Chapter Endnotes: *Quote paraphrased from Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone by J.K. Rowling.– Chapter Seven.– Page 87.– Bloomsbury Edition