Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Think This Love is Altering my Brain by MadEyeMaddy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

If Hermione is the brightest witch of her age, why can't she see that Ron loves her? If Ron 'has a way with the ladies', why doesn't he understand that Hermione has been obsessing over him since first year?

Chapter Notes: Many thanks to my amazing beta, ginnygirl16, for taking my raw, chopped up piece of story, and slow-cooking it into this delicious piece of words.

If you love it, review. If it was okay, review. If you think I'm a suckish author and should pack my bags right now, move to an island with no electricity and hate my fanfics, review. But I can't guarantee that is going to happen. Sorry, haters.

Ron was gorgeous. Not that I would ever admit it to anyone, but it was one-hundred percent true. He probably had no interest in me what so ever, but I just could not help staring some days. His red hair was swept perfectly, showing off his clear face and crystal blue eyes. I felt my eyes scan over his well-muscled arms and legs.

“Err…Hermione, what’re you staring at?” he whispered, following my eyes.

“Oh...um...you just…you have a bug on your leg.”

He gave a strange little yelp and started swatting his legs like a madman. Honestly, I will never understand what goes on in his mind.

*

I am such an idiot. I would have never been able to live with myself if I acted that way in front of Hermione again. I probably looked like some crazed baboon or something. Or maybe I looked like Harry when I told him that his pumpkin juice was really water from the toilet. But that doesn’t matter.

I wish Hermione liked me as much as I liked her. I mean; her curls are perfectly sculpted against her face and her chocolate colored eyes are beautiful, warm, and very hard not to stare into. Her figure is so thin and slender. It isn’t fair the way she looks at me sometimes.

Harry walked up to me as we stepped out of Transfiguration and headed down the moving staircases. He probably wanted to tease me for acting like a demented animal.

“Ron, don’t you see? I’ve been telling you all along! Didn’t you notice the way Hermione was watching you today? She fancies you. I’ve been trying to tell you that for the past four or five years!”

“Harry. There was a bug on my leg. She was probably staring at me because she thinks that I've finally gone mental.”

“Trust me, Ron. Ask her to Hogsmeade next week and see what she says. I dare you.”

I gasped. “You wouldn’t!

“I would and I am. You are going to ask Hermione to Hogsmeade next week and there's no backing out now.”

“But... but I--Hey! You still haven’t told me who you fancy!”

Harry's cheeks turned red and he started stammering.

“Well… that’s just… I couldn’t explain…,” he muttered.

At that exact moment, Ginny and two of her friends walked out of the library. Ginny waved and Harry inhaled sharply.

Perfect. Horribly, terribly perfect.

"You fancy Ginny? My sister? Why have I not heard this?" I stopped walking, and my jaw dropped as I realized what had just happened. "Well," I said, taking a deep breath, "at least you're better than Dean or Michael. But if you ever hurt her I‘ll--"

"Ron!" Harry interrupted, looking aghast. "Do you think I’m that kind of person?"

I shook my head. "No, I don't, Harry. I'm sorry. What I don't understand is why you didn't tell me in the first place?"

“Ithoughtyou’dmakefunofme,” he muttered.

“Err…What?”

“I thought you’d make fun of me,” he repeated, but at a more human pace.

“Oh I will. Just as revenge for not telling me though. For now though, you have someone to ask to Hogsmeade. Go on then,” I said; pushing him forward. “I dare you.”

“Fine, fine. But you’re going to pay for this.”

“I know. You started these dares in the first place,” I said, walking towards the common room. “Treat others the way you want to be treated. Or something like that.”

“Yeah, yeah. I’ll ask her as soon as you ask Hermione,” he said. He gave the Fat Lady the password and we scrambled into the Common Room.

“Ask me what?” Hermione inquired, coming over to meet us.

“Err-- he lost his History of Magic essay. He wanted to ask if he could copy yours.”

I tried to nod and give her an apologetic look, but I probably just looked like a spaz or something.

*

Ron is so irresponsible. He always expects me to cover for him for everything. I mean, if he handed in his essay two days earlier he wouldn’t have lost it! But it isn’t like I could refuse to do things for him. Oh no; he’s too good for that game. He just gave me those puppy-dog eyes; sent from Heaven. No, no, this is not over yet.

“Fine, Ron. But just this once.” I tried to act icy, but it sounded like I was caving in.

“You’re the best,” he said, walking past me. I stared after him. I’m the best!

In Potions the next day, I sat by Ron because Harry wanted to “talk to Dean about something important”. He’s been acting strange lately. Like yesterday, for instance, when I asked Ron for a quill. Harry gave Ron a sharp kick, and a nudge and then walked off. I wonder what’s gotten into him.

“Psst. Mudblood. Pssssssssssst!” came a voice from behind me. A voice I was positive belonged to a certain obnoxious, blonde, Slytherin.

“What do you want?” I turned around, feeling very annoyed.

“Quit staring at Weasley with those eyes. It’s creeping us all out. ‘Looks like you’re gonna eat him or something.”

I blushed and Ron threw a paper at Malfoy’s fat, ugly, head. I noticed his face and ears were glowing red.

“Shut up, Ferret-boy. Keep talking like that and you might have a little “accident,” Ron threatened.

Malfoy stiffened at the mention of ferrets. “Watch yourself, Weasel. You don’t want to end up in the Hospital Wing next to that piece of trash,” he pointed towards me.

“You’re the real piece of trash, Malfoy. Why don’t you just run back to your rich daddy and act like the spoiled brat we all know you are?" I retorted. " Not that you don't already act like a brat,” I added.

Even if Ron is an annoying brute sometimes, he definitely does NOT deserved to be talked to like that.

All the Gryffindors were tense and looked ready to back Ron and me up. Everyone was watching to see what would happen. Harry gave Malfoy a dark look.

Ahem,” came a sharp cough from the front of the room. “There is to be no talking in this classroom. And just for those insults, Granger, that will be ten points from Gryffindor. For disrupting the class, all the three of you shall receive detention; tomorrow in my office. And don’t be late.”

I feel myself blush out of anger and embarrassment Me? Detention?
Chapter Endnotes: Reviews are loved more than kittens, rainbows, puppies, ice cream, 3OH!3, sleeping in on Saturdays, and even Ron Weasley *dreamy sigh*.

So go silly children! Review. Then *maybe* (just maybe) I can update faster :D

People have no idea how much I love reviews. I will try and reply to each and every one!