Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Think This Love is Altering my Brain by MadEyeMaddy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sorry, guys, for the uber-long wait. I've been all over the place and crazy-busy, but I'll try to keep 'em comin'! All of your reviews have made me feel super-fuzzy. Anyway, to the thank-you section of the chapter notes: I'd like to thank ginnygirl16, that amazing beta over on the beta boards who corrects my mistakes and is just generally awesome. Also, a special thanks to NikkiSue/Nicole for giving me amaziling tips and advice on how to clean up my chapter. Anyway, enjoy, I love this chapter :D.

Early, Thursday morning, I woke with I start. I had been having a strange dream where I was being chased by a large, black dragon, with piercing blue eyes that were suspiciously familiar. The dragon then “breathed fire”, but instead of fire, a million tiny Rons’ came out. When the dragon looked at me, I woke with a start.

The only thing that the dream told me is that I hate Avril. With a large, burning passion. Why can’t anyone let me be happy? Is my happiness given to me like medicine? Take in small doses, twice daily? Life is not fair.

On top of my Ron/Avril problems, Ron and I have more detentions until next week. And worse (better?) than that my date with Ron is only two days away.

When I was freshly showered, I changed into clean robes and got my books ready for class. I headed down to breakfast to see that the hall was mostly empty. I must have been up really early, considering that even Ron wasn’t down at breakfast. I helped myself to toast and coffee and waited for more students to come downstairs. After fifteen minutes or so, I felt someone’s gaze piercing into the back of my head. I turned around.

“Oh. It’s you,” I said, rolling my eyes and turning back around.

Avril grabbed my arm and pulled me back around. “Wait,” she said.

“What?” I asked icily.

“Why do you like Ron ”Oh come off it, we all know you do” But honestly, I’m curious,” she inquired, as I tried to turn around again.

“Who said I liked him?” I muttered.

“Are you deaf? I just told you that everyone knows!”

“Mind your own business,” I said curtly.

“Well, I s’pose if you don’t like him, I’ll have to take him for myself. Later.” She turned away and walked toward the Ravenclaw table.

I went over the conversation in my head, and realized that Avril was trying to steal Ron. No, not trying. She was going to steal Ron.

*

I walked down to breakfast with Harry and we began discussing Avril and Hermione.

“Ron, they obviously both fancy you. You need to do something about it.”

“About what? Tell them to shake hands and call a truce? I don’t know a lot about girls, Harry, but I don’t think it works that way.”

“No, Ron! I meant that you need to tell one of them off. Make a choice,” said Harry.

“Some choice,” I muttered, knowing exactly who I’d pick. “But what about your dare, Harry? You never asked Ginny! There’s only two days left!” I exclaimed.

“Erm, Ron? Did you forget? Thanks to you now she’s going with Seamus.”

“Oh! Don’t try to turn this one around on me! You started these dares in the first place!”

“Ron, that doesn’t matter. She still wouldn’t go out with me anyway.”

“Look, mate. If it was a choice between you and Seamus, even Malfoy would pick you.”

Harry and I both burst into hysterics, and couldn’t stop laughing until we took our seats at the table. We noticed that Hermione looked like she was long finished eating.

“’Morning, Hermione,” I said.

She looked up from her book, gave us a vague nod, and looked downward again.

“Erm. What’re you reading?” I asked, peering over her shoulder to get a glimpse of what was written on the pages.

“Ron! I can’t concentrate with you breathing in my ear! Could you move over?”

“A please would be nice,” I said, helping myself to breakfast.

“’Bit touchy today, isn’t she?” Harry whispered.

“’Probably has an Arithmancy test. Professor Vector just might fail her on this one,” I whispered back.

Harry spit out whatever ever he was drinking, due to his sudden snort.

Hermione slammed her book and stood up. “Just for your information, I don’t have a test today. Maybe I like to read in peace every once in awhile. And if you’re going to talk about me, you might as well learn to speak quietly, seeing as our whole table heard you!” She stormed off to the grounds for our next class, hair swinging behind her.

*

I can’t believe Ron. He’s so obnoxious sometimes! I just get so frustrated with him. Especially on these “Avril days”. Sometimes, I’m madly in love with him, and the next second, he tries to pick a fight with me!

***

“Alright class, we’re going to be breaking into pairs and attempt to get the seeds out of this plant. Does anyone know what it’s called?” said Professor Sprout, referring to the pile of rather ugly, shriveled vines in front of her. “Yes, Mr. Longbottom?”

“The Horned Vigne…” answered Neville automatically.

“Excellent. Five points to Gryffindor. Now, all of you, pick a partner and get to work,” Professor Sprout commanded.

I saw Harry dash quickly from Ron’s side and pair up with Neville. Ron looked around but most of the Gryffindors and Hufflepuffs were already paired up. Except Ron and I.

“C’mon Hermione, we’re the only two left,” he said, pulling me over to get our instruction packet.

Ron held both ends of the long, prickly vine while it wriggled and tried to lash out at him, and I pulled the thorns out to collect the seeds.

Ron and I burst into fits of laughter when Justin Fitch-Fletchey tried holding down the plant for Ernie, and it whipped up and smacked him in the face. Overall, it was a pretty good class, especially since our small fight this morning was completely forgotten.

*

I made it through class without having a row with Hermione! This has got to be a record. If only she’d help me with my homework…

“”Err, so, Ginny,” said Harry, throwing me a meaningful glance while walking into the Common Room, “Do you… Have plans this weekend?”

Ginny gave him a confused look. “Yeah…remember? I’m going to Hogsmeade with Seamus… Didn’t you hear?”

“Oh! Yeah, yeah! That’s brilliant. Excellent, really. That was quite a stupid question to ask.” He smacked his forehead theatrically. “But I had another question. Would you… If you weren’t busy… Sometime…Eventually”” Harry paused to wipe sweat off his forehead.

“Ginny, what he’s trying to say is that he fancies a trip to Hogsmeade with you,” I interrupted.

A suddenly embarrassed Harry muttered something unintelligible that sounded like, “Mehp”.

“…Is that true?”

“Yeah,” smiled Harry, sheepishly.

Ginny blushed and looked down. “Well, I’d love to go with you Harry, but when I tell Seamus””

“Tell me what, Ginny?” asked Seamus, walking down from the dorms.

“Perfect timing,” I scoffed.

After Ancient Runes, I entered the Common Room to a scene of complete and utter chaos.

Harry and Seamus were in the middle of a shouting match, with a crowd surrounding them, chanting “Fight, fight!” over and over.

Ginny looked sort of frightened, and was trying to break it up by pushing the boys away from each other. Neville ran for the dormitories. Harry and Seamus must have inspired some younger students, because first and second years were standing on furniture, throwing random objects at each other, and screaming. Ron seemed to be encouraging them. Several cats and toads scampered across the floor, trying to escape the mess.

“What is going on in here?” exclaimed Professor McGonagall, in horror and bewilderment, as she burst through the door.

The whole suddenly silent room exchanged glances while they stood in their frozen positions.

“Well? Where did this come from?” spluttered McGonagall.

“Well,” piped a small, First-year boy, “It all started about fifteen years ago when my parents got married and””

“Not that!” exclaimed McGonagall, “All this fighting?”

“Look, Professor, this was just a big misunderstanding between me and Harry. Right, Harry?” input Seamus.

“Yeah, Professor, that’s all.

“Why were they,” McGonagall pointed to the first and second year group, “Demolishing the furniture and wailing like Banshees?”

“We aren’t sure, really… ‘Must’ve gotten over-excited or something…”

“This madness is going to stop. Immediately,” commanded McGonagall, sternly. “I do not want to hear another peep from this Common Room for the rest of the evening. Understand?” she asked, glaring. We all nodded.

“Potter, Finnigan, and Mr. and Miss Weasley, in my office. At once.”
Chapter Endnotes: TADA! Hmmm...I wonder what happens in McGonagall's office. Keep looking for updates to find out. Anyway, keep the reviews coming or my head might explode! I love hearing from you guys. Also! If I didn't mention it, the story has been officially all written. It was a journey writing it, and I'm so excited to hear what you think about the next few chapters :D.