Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

I Think This Love is Altering my Brain by MadEyeMaddy

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: *SUPERHAPPYSQUIGGLEJUMP* I'm baaaack. Alright. So its been like two months, and I've been flicking myself every day I put this off. But I finally put it up!!! Okay, so I totally had a list of everybody who reviewed a lot and stuck by my side, but I lost it. So, I'm going to thank all of you. MWA! Thanks for being there and telling me whether I rocked or sucked. Also, a GINORMOUS thanks to NikkiSue and her patience and helpful advice through all 8 chapters. And last but not last, thanks to ginnygirl16, wherever she is, for being there since day 1. Without her, I would still be a pool of self-pity writing stories with bad grammar and terrible plots. I owe it all to you, girl! Thanks for standing by me. And this is the last chapter. I will miss you all terribly. Keep watching my name though. Something else might just pop up....

Finally. I’d been going mental over this day since the beginning of this week. I really hope things have finally settled down. I mean, Hermione and I are together, I haven’t heard from Avril, and I’m going on a date with Hermione!

On our way downstairs, we passed a glum-looking Ginny who gave Hermione a little wave. She responded with an understanding smile, and told her she should try to find Harry. Ginny looked a bit happier at this and skipped off. Girls are weird sometimes.

Hermione looked… Well, she looked stunning. I couldn’t say that out loud, just thinking about that made my face turn red, but she truly did.

Her usually bushy hair was smoothed into shiny ringlets, and her cheeks were pink from the cold air. She wore a light blue scarf tucked into her brown coat. Her long eyelashes brushed against her face softly.

I suddenly felt pathetic, as I hadn’t dressed nicely for the occasion at all.

We strolled out of the Entrance Hall together, and I couldn’t keep my eyes off of her face.

“So, where are we going?” Hermione asked, taking my hand.

“Erm. I was just thinking the usual. You know, like The Three Broomsticks and Honeydukes,” I finished, trailing off lamely.

“Sounds perfect.” She smiled.

*

This is turning out better than I expected. Ron decided that we should go places comfortable and familiar, and I haven’t embarrassed myself yet.

Ron pulled me into The Three Broomsticks for a butterbeer. We sat up at the bar, and for the first time in years, Ron didn’t drool over Madam Rosmerta while he paid for the drinks. He looked at me with a smile on his face for quite awhile, though.

“What?” I asked, my face breaking into a small smile.

His ears turned the same color as his Gryffindor scarf. “It’s just… We’re together. And… I just feel so lucky to have you, Hermione.”

I giggled a little, partly because I was so giddy, and partly because that line was so cheesy, but so classic Ron.

“No!” groaned Ron, pulling me under the nearest table.

“What?” I asked, alarmed.

“It’s her.”

I knew who he spoke of immediately. And like a curtain falling over the stage and the theme song turning off, the mood was gone. We tried to grab our drinks and make a run for it, but Avril was always a step ahead.

“Ronnie!” she squealed, ignoring me and hugging him tightly.

Something inside me exploded, considering that she knew that we were dating, and she still chose to use her old ways.

Ron pushed her off, disgusted, much to my delight.

“Flick off, Gâté.”

She looked angry and shocked. “Excuse me?” She blinked.

“You heard me. I’m with Hermione now. Find someone else.”

And with that, he pushed past a frozen and open-mouthed Avril, and lead me back out into the chilly weather.

“A right prat, she is,” he muttered.

“I already told her we were together and she still comes on to you.” I shook my head in disbelief.

He sighed. “Let’s go into Honeydukes.”

We laughed as we tried a variety of different candies, picking some out for Ginny and Harry.

*

“What about these?” I asked, pointing to the Pepper Imps. “I bet Harry’s ears wouldn’t stop steaming for days…”

Hermione and I picked out a good amount of candy for us and Harry and Ginny, but the best part was seeing her face when I told her to try an exploding bonbon. Just as we were heading to pay, two people bounded out from behind us.

“Boo!” yelled Ginny, pulling the Invisibility Cloak off of Harry and herself. “Fancy seeing you lot here,” she winked.

“Ginny! If someone spots Harry” if you’re seen””

“Relax, Hermione, I’ve been in worse trouble.” Harry grinned, straightening his crooked glasses.

“Just be careful,” she said reproachfully.

We handed over the sweets we planned to buy for them, and waved goodbye as we headed our separate ways.

“Be careful with her, Harry!” I yelled after them. “And don’t hurt her! And no snogging! Oi! Do you hear me? I said no snogging!”

Harry waved a hand in recognition without turning around.

*

Ron and I quickly browsed through Zonko’s, picking out ridiculous things that would be Fred-and-George-approved. We checked in some other shops, including an exotic looking one that claimed to sell remedies to an unsteady mind. We laughed a bit at this one, joking that we should recommend it to Avril, but we decided to visit the Shrieking Shack for old time’s sake.

“Well, well, well,” sneered a voice from behind us. “Look who we have here. A Mudblood and a Weasel.”

I wheeled around, and absolutely howled with laughter at the sight.

“Avril? And Malfoy? Together?

For once, Ron was at a loss for words. He opened and closed his mouth like a fish several times, but no sound escaped his lips.

“Ron told me to find someone else, and I did.” Avril said, holding her head high, a good accompaniment to Malfoy’s smirk. “And I can’t believe I actually liked you.” Her eyes scanned Ron quickly before turning back to Malfoy and giggling. They rubbed noses. Ron looked a bit sick.

Malfoy whispered something in her ear, and they scampered off. Ron swore he heard Avril giggle, “Draco, you dirty devil!”

It had been a bizarre day overall.

After talking in front of the Shrieking Shack for awhile, Ron gave me one of those expectant looks of his.

I watched his eyes trace my face silently.

Ron leaned in slowly, closing his eyes. He put one arm around my neck, while tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear. My heart fluttered. I knew what was coming. I leaned closer and closer, inhaling his familiar scent.

And he kissed my nose.

I blinked and then laughed.

Ron laughed, too. “Erm, let me try that again.”

This time, he studied the exact location of my lips before making a move. He linked both his arms behind my back this time, and before I could think anything else, his warm lips met mine.

And so I finally got that kiss.
Chapter Endnotes: So yeah. *Trivia fact*: I originally had the ending so the kissed and that was it, but then I was like nonononono. Too perfect for R/Hr. So they bumped noses. Also! I lied. Kinda. This is the last *chapter* but there's an epilogue. Leave a review of 'Yes' or 'No' if you want it, because the story works great without it, too.