Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Letters From Hogwarts by mudbloodproud

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Every child from a wizarding family waits for their letter from Hogwarts. Albus Severus Potter was no different. However, he was one of those children who worried it wouldn’t come. His parents had played a joke on his brother with his Hogwarts letter. Now James has decided it is Albus’ turn...

I do not own anything you recognise. It all belongs to J.K. Rowling. I am just thankful to be able to play in her world for a little while.

“Mum, has it come yet?”

“Albus, for the hundredth time, no. It might not even come today. You don’t turn eleven until tomorrow,” answered Ginny.

“But, Mum,” whined Albus, “James got his letter two whole days before his birthday. Two whole days!”

Ginny looked down at her son’s anxious face. Kneeling down, she looked him directly in the eyes. “Albus, James’ letter came the day before his birthday, not two days before. Yours will come, don’t worry.”

“But what if it doesn’t? What if-”

“What if...what if...what if the giant squid could fly?” she asked clearly exasperated.

“Mum,” Albus said, rolling his eyes, “that just silly!” Albus giggled and soon Ginny joined in. Reaching out, Ginny pulled him into a tight embrace.

“Mum! Albus! It’s here!” James’ excited voice came down the stairs second before his rapid footfalls could be heard on the stairs leading down to the kitchen. Seeing his mother and Albus, he skidded to a stop. Holding out a wrinkled envelope to them, he smiled.

Seeing the smile on James’ face immediately set off the warning bells in Ginny’s mind. He had the same smile that Fred and George always wore when they were playing a prank on someone. She reached out to grab the letter, but Albus was faster.

He didn’t hesitate before tearing open the letter. At once, Ginny knew something was wrong. His face fell and tears welled up in his eyes. She reached out and took the letter from him. She quickly read it.

Dear Mr Potter,

Due to changing standards, we are sorry to tell you we are unable to offer you a place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. We will keep you in mind for future years.

Sincerely,

Professor Flitwick
Deputy Headmaster
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry


Ginny looked from the letter to James. “James, do not move a muscle,” she said as she turned her attention to her youngest son. “Albus, I am sure this is not your real letter-”

“It’s real!” cried Albus. “I’m not going.” He turned and ran up the stairs. Ginny could hear him sobbing as he ran.

Without a word, Ginny moved towards the fireplace. Grabbing a handful of Floo Powder, she threw it into the flames.

“Head Aurors office, Harry Potter,” she said and she stuck her head into the green flames. “I need you to come home, now,” she said. Pulling her head out of the flames, she stood and stepped back.

The fireplace was filled with green flames and Harry stepped out, a worried expression on his face. “Ginny, what’s wrong?” he asked quickly.

“This,” she said and handed him the letter. “I will go deal with Albus, you deal with James.” She turned and left the kitchen without a backwards glance.

Harry quickly read the letter. As he did, he resisted the urge to laugh. He knew they should have been expecting something like this since they had tricked James when his letter came. Harry went and sat at the table and looked at James. He was standing as still as a statue.

“James, come over here,” he said quietly.

“Mum told me not to move,” said James. He knew he was in trouble, but he had been prepared for his mum to yell. His dad’s quiet words were scarier than anything to him.

Harry let out a small chuckle. “It’s okay, come on,” he said. “This is very good work. I am guessing you had help with this.”

James nodded as he slipped into the chair next to Harry. He didn’t look at his father.

“Let me guess, your Uncle George?” asked Harry.

James nodded his head again. “But, he didn’t know I wanted it for Albus. He thought it was for someone else.”

Harry smiled at his son’s attempt to protect his favourite uncle. “Well, James, it’s very nice of you to try to protect your uncle. There’s just one small problem...” Harry let his voice trail off. He could see his son trying to work out what the problem was.

Harry waited a few minutes and then asked, “Do you know what that is?” James shook his head, still not looking at his father.

“The handwriting,” Harry said simply. He held out the letter and envelope to his son. He waited again for his son to look it over before speaking. “It is all the same. So, either you wrote it all yourself, which I doubt, or your Uncle George did. In which case, he knew who this was for,” Harry paused allowing his son time to say something.

“I am also thinking, he sent the letter by owl so it would arrive at a set time. All you had to do was make sure the real letter didn’t get to Albus before this one came.”

James remained silent, staring at the table. “I will admit,” said Harry thoughtfully, “this was a good prank.”

Harry could see James trying to come up with something. Harry guessed there was a war going on in his head; to save himself and blame George, to take all the blame himself and protect George or to tell the whole truth and get them both in trouble. Harry longed to take the choice out of his hands and contact George himself, but he knew this was a choice James had to make. It was a part of growing up and choosing the right path.

Harry saw Ginny at the bottom of the stairs and shook his head slightly. She turned and quietly went back upstairs allowing him to deal with his son alone.

“Dad,” James began, “it was my idea. Uncle George just helped me with it. Don’t be mad at him, I sort of let him think you knew about it.” James finally looked up at his father, tears in his eyes.

Harry fought back the smile. At his moment, he was proud of his son. He laid a hand on James’ shoulder. “You know what you did was wrong. You hurt your brother with your joke. Now, you’re going to go upstairs and apologize,” Harry said to him.

“I am guessing the real letter already came and you have it?” Harry asked. At James’ nod, Harry smiled. “Well, let’s go and get it. It may help to keep your brother from killing you over your joke.”

Harry took the boy by the hand and led him upstairs to the bedroom he shared with his brother. Opening the door, Harry saw Albus sitting on his bed, a forlorn look on his face. Ginny was seated next to him. She looked questioningly at Harry who again shook his head. He patted James on the back giving him a small nudge into the room.

Dragging his feet, James went to his dresser. Opening the top drawer, he reached deep inside the drawer and pulled out Albus’ real letter. Turning, he walked slowly over to his brother.

“Al, I’m sorry. It was just a joke. Here’s your real letter,” he said. He gave Albus a small smile as he handed him the letter.

Albus took the letter and looked from his mother to his father. Both gave him a nod of encouragement. Slowly, he opened the letter. He read it twice before they saw his eyes brighten and the smile cross his face.

He looked at his brother as he handed the letter to Ginny. “It was a mean joke,” he said. “But...it was a good one. I think it was too good for you. I’m betting Uncle George had something to do with it.” James nodded giving his brother a small smile.

“George?” Ginny asked, her voice clearly reflecting the anger she felt.

Albus looked at his mum quickly. “It’s okay, Mum. I’ll get even with him,” Albus reassured her.

“And, I’ll help,” said James in a rush. Perhaps if he helped Albus get even with George, he wouldn’t be on the receiving end of some prank.

“Oh Merlin,” Harry said simply.