Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

My Guardian Angel by gossipweaver

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Blessed with a second chance, Harry is going to make sure he doesn't make the same mistake again, or does he? He has won many battles but can he conquer his inner demons?
Chapter 12 Second Chance

The hospital was very quiet and calm. Ginny’s head was resting comfortably next to Harry’s chest while he had his arms around her. McGonagall stayed to watch over them in case there were any more curses. She couldn’t help smiling proudly as she was watching them, with Harry holding Ginny peacefully in his arms, and the doves buried between them. To her, it was like a perfect picture.

Harry was still trying to fight back his tears, and thinking that Ginny must be too tired to talk, he remained very quiet. Nevertheless, he was smiling because he could feel Ginny’s warmth reminiscent of that night at the church. Her red hair was also tickling his chin and neck. Ginny, too, was smiling brightly because she was resting peacefully in Harry’s arms. In her mind, it was like a heavenly dream that had finally come true.

“Congratulations, Harry, Ginny!” Dumbledore hollered as he entered the hospital room and went over to Ginny’s bedside. Harry got up from the bed and greeted him warmly.

“How are you feeling, young lady?”

“I think I’m okay, a bit confused, but okay,” Ginny replied softly. “Professor, I’m a little hungry though.”

“Well, why didn’t you say something earlier, young lady? I could have…” McGonagall paused because she noticed Ginny was blushing. McGonagall then glanced at Harry, who was also blushing. A deep grin appeared on her face as she sighed and rolled her eyes.

McGonagall waved her hand. Bowls of steaming chicken soup and warm porridge appeared on the table next to her. Harry took the bowls over to Ginny, wanting to feed her, but she reached for the bowl and spoon, took them out of his hands, and proceeded to eat on her own. Harry was thrilled to see that Ginny had regained her strength.

“You will have to eat only that for now,“ McGonagall said. “You had a very tough long night.”

“Professor Dumbledore, I think I was in Ginny’s dream earlier. But I don’t know what happened. I tried to save her but I was falling into a sandpit. I think Ginny grabbed my hand and then I woke up,” Harry asked, looking at his injured hands.

“I had spent some time deciphering the nightmare you described earlier where you said Ginny saved your life. I think I have it figured out,” Dumbledore replied. “It is indeed amazing how some things keep on working and never fail, and how some things appear complicated but they boil down to the same simple answer that even I was fooled.”

“I don’t understand, Professor.”

“Do you recall what I said about how you survived Voldemort’s death curse when you were just a baby?” Dumbledore sat down on the next bed.

“You said it was my mother’s love that protected me.”

“Yes, but it wasn’t just any kind of love. That won’t be enough to fend off curses. It was her DEEP unconditional love for you that saved you. It was the kind of love at a level that she was willing to die for you. Now do you remember you said Ginny saved you from your nightmare? But do you know how?”

“It was her deep love for you, Harry,” Hermione’s voice echoed across the room. Harry looked towards the door and saw a much happier Hermione, Ron, and Hagrid coming in with Madam Pomfrey. Ron and Hermione sat on Ginny’s bedside while Madam Pomfrey went to Harry to wrap his injured hands.

“That’s right, Miss Granger,” Dumbledore beamed. “In your nightmare, Ginny overcame her fear of the unknown and was willing to do anything to bring you back because she loves you so much. And when Ginny had her nightmare and lost her soul, it was your deep love for her that got her back. You love her so much that you are willing to die for her to save her. Do you understand, Harry?”

“But you had told me that I couldn’t go to the dream state to save her.”

“It never occurred to me that you are so deeply in love with her. At the time, I thought you wanted to save her because of your feelings of guilt and duty. It wasn’t until I heard what you said to her by her bedside that I realized your love for her is unmatched. It was at that moment that I realized you might be able to save her. That’s why I wanted you to go to sleep before it was too late.”

“I still don’t understand how I saved her, “Harry mumbled. “I was trapped in the pit and I couldn’t do anything to help her.”

“Remember what Professor Dumbledore said about the dream world being in a constant state of flux?” Hermione asked Harry. “I believe even Voldemort couldn’t keep everything under control.”

“That’s very possible, Miss Granger. But do you remember what I said about the conjuror of the curse having some kind of imprint with the victim in order for it to work?”

There was a pause in the room. Everyone waited anxiously for Dumbledore to continue.

“Harry, you and Ginny may share a magical bond with Voldemort, but when you saved Ginny back in the Chamber, you also created a deep magical bond with her. This may be the reason why only she was able to go to your dream state when you had your nightmare. Because she loves you so much, not only could she enter your dream state, she was able to counter the curse. And you just did the same for her.”

“We did all that with love?” Harry asked.

“Love exerts its power in mysterious ways,” Dumbledore whispered as he got up, retrieved the doves from Ginny’s bed and admired them closely. “They are magnificent, aren’t they?”

“You mean, they were able to save each other because they love each other?” Ron asked blankly.

“It does sound rather simple, doesn’t it?” Dumbledore replied calmly. “You see, wizards and witches that turn to the dark side are compelled and fascinated by how seemingly powerful Dark Magic is, its complexity and intricacy. The conjurors are often feared upon, revered, and their names become much more famous than all those good wizards and witches. Indeed, it is hard to deny the attractiveness of Dark Magic. You can seemingly gain a lot of notoriety and fame for yourself with very little effort and time spent when it comes to Dark Magic.”

Dumbledore waved his hand and a dark cloud started to hover on his palm, growing bigger and bigger, “What these evil wizards and witches fail to realize is that most Dark Magic are no more powerful than a house of cards, which can be destroyed with the most simplest of good things that we take for granted…”

He snapped his fingers with the other hand and all the curtains in the room suddenly sprung open. Everyone watched the sunlight lit up the entire room and the dark cloud on his palm perished, “Simple things like sunlight, friendship, love…”

“I know Harry understands this because he is not afraid to say Voldemort’s name,” Dumbledore looked at Harry proudly with his sparkling eyes. “In Harry’s eyes, Voldemort is no more than just a murderous coward. Other people can’t say his name because they fear him so much, but there is no reason for that. He doesn’t deserve our fear and respect. He never has and he never will.”

“Do you think he will try the curse on them again?” Hagrid asked, watching Harry and Ginny anxiously.

“I don’t think he’s going to try anything anytime soon,” Dumbledore laughed. “And after failing so many times, he should know better than to try the same curse again, if he has enough energy left, that is.”

“Harry… “ Ginny called out from her bed.

“I am here,” Harry said softly, reaching for her hand.

Then suddenly there was a loud bang, followed by roaring screams of people coming from the doorway.

“GINNY!” Mrs. Weasley shrieked, as she stormed into the hospital room with Mr. Weasley, Fred, and George. “You are okay! My angel is okay!”

The four of them swarmed Ginny and embraced her together, with Mrs. Weasley screaming and laughing hysterically. The energy level in the room was pumped to the maximum, because everyone was so happy to see Ginny awake. To make way for them, Harry stepped away from Ginny’s bedside and then gradually backed away. From afar, he was admiring the Weasley family, their warmth, closeness, and love for each other. Harry noticed Ron and Hermione hugging and kissing in the confusion. Even Hagrid and Dumbledore joined in the celebrations and were hugging each other, as well as McGonagall and Madam Pomfrey. Before he knew it, Harry realized he had now become a spectator, standing by himself, alone at the door.

A/N: The next chapter will be the last. I hope you guys will stick around to read it.