Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Scorpius Malfoy and the Sins of the Fathers by Hotrav

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

The Malfoys arrived at the potions shop through the floo network. They had left Hogwarts with the Dokes on the evening of New Years Day. Draco and Astoria had quietly made their way to bed and came to the store at first light to avoid his parents.

Just before leaving the Manor, Draco had paid a visit to the greenhouse to pick up a couple of plants they were growing there for the flowers and shoots that were used in potions. The shop needed restocking of some items; when they had left the shop before the holiday, they had only planned to be closed for three days, not the ten days they had been gone.

Using his wand from across the shop, Draco flipped the sign from Closed to Open. Half an hour later, the first person to enter the shop in the New Year was the same person to ever visit the shop; the door opened and Luna Scamander entered. She was carrying a plum colored purse and a newspaper.

“Happy New Year,” she announced as she entered and walked straight to the counter.

“Happy New Year,” the two Malfoys replied.

Luna placed a copy of the ‘Daily Prophet’ on the counter. She looked at Draco and said, “Hannah and I thought you should see this.”

Draco flattened the front page of the paper out and saw a headline which read “Harry Potter Hero Again.” The story was a slightly glorified account of the capture of the Mailiaites in the Dokes’ flat. It wasn’t until he got to the middle of the third paragraph that Draco saw the reason the story affected him. The story read:

Rebekka Dokes, a former Priestess of Justice for the Island’s governing council, is a Potion Maker at the Diagon Alley potion shop ‘Astoria’s Perfect Potions,’ owned by former Death Eater Draco Malfoy and his wife. Any connection between the Dokes’ unlawful activities and her employment at the shop is not yet clear.

“Damn,” said Draco. “After all we’ve done,” he added as he turned toward his wife. Draco sensed Luna watching him.

Draco returned the paper to her. “Thank you for showing us this.”

Luna smiled at the pair. “Well, I’ve got to get to Olivanders. Today will be a busy day. It will be fascinating to see what inventive things people did with their wands after they have more wine and relatives than they could handle.” Luna took back the paper, folded it in half, slipped it under her right arm, and walked over to the door. After she opened the door, she turned and waggled the fingers of her left hand in a little wave and exited the shop.

Draco pulled out his wand and gave it a flick. The sign on the front flipped back from Open to Closed. He turned to look at the shop and looked into his wife’s eyes. They were so close, maybe just a few months from having enough to move out of the Manor. He had been convinced that they were going to make it. Could a few sentences of unfounded charges undo all of their work and dash their hope?

Draco put his arms on the counter and lowered his head to think. Astoria walked over to check on him and he stood up ramrod straight. He had to be the man his family and business needed him to be. He turned and smiled at Astoria. She warmly returned the smile to him. Draco kissed his wife’s cheek, turned to face the door, and once again extended his wand. For the last time that morning, the little sign flipped to show the store was open.

Let them come. We’ll show them.


Draco, Astoria, and Hannah were at the door of the Leaky Cauldron when the three Dokes arrived on the first Monday in February. Despite the fact that the day was unusually warm for the time of year, the family was wrapped in multiple layers of coats and cloaks.

Rebekka turned to greet the welcoming committee; she smiled at Draco and gently took his hand. Next, she hugged Hannah Longbottom and hugged and air-kissed Astoria Malfoy. “Thank you, my friends… for everything.”

Hannah ushered her guests into the Bistro, where breakfast awaited them. The four adults ate lightly and conversation was sparse. Bethany wolfed down two whole Belgium Waffles, a number of sausages and spoonfuls of scrambled eggs. Rebekka was repeatedly unsuccessful in her attempts to get her daughter to ‘eat like a lady.’ Astoria smiled and looking at the girl asked, “Is that how you’d be eating if Albus was here?”

Bethany froze with a sausage that had been impaled on her fork, halfway in her mouth. “Uh uh,” she squeezed out of her overstuffed mouth. The small girl looked at all of the adults and slowly began to properly chew her food.

Astoria looked at Bethany and whispered, just loud enough for Draco to hear, “You and I are going shopping in the Alley this morning. We are going to buy something for Mrs. Longbottom.”

Bethany looked over at Hannah, whose pregnancy was just beginning to show. “And for the baby too?” Astoria nodded and gave a smile and a nod to the girl.

Draco saw Isaac and Rebekka look at each other. The look was a melancholy one. But whenever Bethany turned toward her parents, both faces met her wide grin with smiles of their own.

At eight-thirty, Draco and the Dokes bid fare well to Hannah and, using the fire place, made their way to the Ministry of Magic. Draco led the Dokes to the security desk so all three of their wands could be registered.

After receiving their receipts, Draco led Isaac and Rebekka to a room that he knew all too well. Court Room Number Five had been the room where they had held his hearing following the battle of Hogwarts. For five days, he given and heard testimony that had changed his life. The verdict had been a split decision; twenty-four for acquittal, twenty-three for conviction and two members of the Wizengamot who had abstained. By one vote, they had allowed Draco a chance to change his life. Draco hoped the room would be as lucky for his friends.

Draco held the door open for the Dokes and together, the three entered the courtroom. Draco led the other two into the visitor’s gallery. To his right was a middle aged, tall, dark skinned man wearing a cream colored linen robe with maroon and gold embroidery on his collar and shoulders. In front of them was a low mahogany railing and on the other side of the railing in the middle of the court room were a desk, and a raised dais.

Rebekka noticed the man to their right and said to Isaac, “Ka-Sich Korhogo.” Isaac turned to look at the man, his brows furrowed. After a couple minutes of study, he shook his head at his wife.

“Who is he?” Draco asked.

“He is my replacement on the High Council. He will be happy to lock our jail door and throw away the keys,” responded Rebekka.

“I bet that linen Kanzu cost an average man’s full year of wages,” Isaac added. The distrust and contempt in his friend’s voice revealed more derision for Korhogo than Draco had ever felt for Ron Weasley.

A bell tolled and Draco motioned for the Dokes to walk through the gate, down the two steps and to sit at the desk. Draco sat just to the side of his friends so he could help them with the ways of the British Style of Law. The door behind the dais opened and through it entered a black robed man wearing a black Porkpie Hat on his silver haired head.

“Hear ye, the hearing of the Magical Law Enforcement Immigration office is now in session. Alfred Bede’, the head of Magical Law Enforcement Immigration Office, presiding,” said a disembodied voice.

Draco was surprised. He and his father had been tried before the entire Wizengamot and his mother had been tried before a five judge panel. The chaining chairs had mercifully been replaced by simple wooden chairs and desks. Could the change have been part of Minister Shacklebolt’s reforming of the Ministry and its legal system? Or maybe this is how a simple Immigration case was always heard?

Bede’ walked to his chair. He reached into his robe pocket to remove his glasses, placed the glasses on his face, lifted up a leaden ball and banged it on the high dais. “The hearing is now in session. Are Mr. Isaac Dokes and Mrs. Rebekka Dokes present in the court room?”

The Dokes rose and faced the dais. In tandem they answered, “We are.”

The Ministry Official nodded and added. “These documents list a son, Jimber, and a daughter, Bethany, are they present today?”

Rebekka rose again. Bede’ waved for her to sit, saying, “Please only stand if you wish to address the court without prompting.”

Rebekka bowed toward the dais, seated herself and said, “Forgive me, in my homeland we are required to stand. Our son Jimber is currently a student at Hogwarts and our daughter is with a family friend.”

The presiding official nodded and scratched something with his quill on the high desk. He looked at the Dokes. “This is a hearing, not a trial. I have the charges from the Ministry and you will provide your explanation of your actions or inactions. After the evidence has been presented, I will reach a ruling. My ruling can only be overturned on appeal, only if I have committed an error in my interruption of the statute. Do you understand?” he asked the Dokes.

Rebekka Dokes nodded and said, “We do, your Honor.”

“Mrs. Dokes. I am the head of the Immigration Office, not a judge. Sir or Mr. Bede’ will suffice. I see we have an audience. I would like all in the court other than the Dokes introduce themselves, please.”

Draco saw the presiding official’s head turn toward the tall man sitting to the right of Draco. He arose and made a half-bow toward the dais, “Ka-Sich Korhogo, Priest of Justice for the High Council of the Island. I am observing for my government.”

Bede’ next looked past Draco to his right. “Advocate Weasley, are you in the wrong court room?” he asked someone at the back of the room.

Draco turned to see Hermione Weasley holding a file in her hand. “Forgive me, I was delayed in my office. I have letters of reference to give the Dokes.” Hermione walked to the railing next to Draco and handed the folder to Isaac and added a softly spoken, “Good Luck.” Hermione turned and handed Draco a slip of paper. With her errands completed, Hermione Weasley smartly turned on her flat heeled shoes and exited the room.

Draco realized it was his turn. He stood and said, “I’m Draco Malfoy, family friend. I am here to offer support and to help translate our legal system to them if it is necessary.”

“Draco Malfoy?” Bede’ eyed him from the dais and, for a second, Draco wondered if it might be best for them if he left. “Mr. Malfoy, you will resist from translating during the testimony. You will wait until the hearing is in recesses. Understand?” Draco nodded and quietly exhaled.

A flick of a wand was visible above the dais and four scrolls appeared on the desk in between the Dokes. Rebekka unrolled the documents and began a quick review. Bede’ read, “On June sixth of last year, your family arrived at the magical customs office. According to these documents, you were asked to declare magical articles such as totems and magical jewelry that you were bringing into the country. Nowhere on the form are any statues or necklaces listed. The second document is a receipt of property signed by Auror Beren Sterling, listing magical necklaces and possibly magical statues. The same articles were listed as non-magical in June. The third document is a handbill, dated June Eighth, from the government of the Island warning that a ‘national treasure’ of three statues and four necklaces had been stolen. The last document is a transcript of the confession of a Mr. Jimber Quarrell Dokes, stating that he received the items from the thieves and gave them to his son to take to England. I accept these documents into evidence.”

A silence passed through the room as Rebekka read the documents. Draco looked over at the visitor from the Island. He had a smug look on his face that reminded Draco of Yaxley, just before he began a round of torture on his victims.

“Mr. and Mrs. Dokes are you ready to explain or challenge the case of the Ministry?” inquired the Presiding Official. Isaac and Rebekka talked for a couple of minutes while all of the occupants of the room waited.

“Yes, your honor. When we prepared to leave our homeland for here, a fare-thee-well party was thrown by our friends and family,” said Rebekka Dokes. Draco was surprised at the ease with which she started her defense. The phrase from the article, Priestess of Justice, suddenly came to Draco’s mind. He wondered what a Priestess of Justice was. “My father-in-law publicly presented our son, Jimber, with a simple silver necklace like any number of common Island necklaces. He also presented us with a box which held some family art work. After the party, we placed the box with our other items to go to our new home.”

Rebekka drank a sip of water from her glass and continued, “When we arrived, the Ministry officials inventoried our property. They asked if things were magical or not. When we left, we had no magical silver necklaces or statues, so our answers in June were honest ones. When we unpacked in our little flat, I discovered that the box from my father-in-law now contained three statues and three silver necklaces. I mentioned this to my husband. He examined the contents and recognized the items as belonging to his closed school. Also in the box was a note from Isaac’s father, Jimber Quarrell Dokes, saying that we should hold onto them until it was safe to return them to the Island. We placed the items on the mantle of our home and awaited word from him.”

“You knew that the items were stolen and you did not turn them in to the Ministry so they could be returned?” asked Bede’. “Mr. Dokes is your father a criminal or a fence?”

Isaac turned to Draco, confused by the term. Draco quickly whispered to Isaac, “A fence takes items stolen by others and finds buyers for the stolen goods.” Isaac nodded.

The Presiding Official was not happy. “Mr. Malfoy, do that again and I will have you forcibly removed from my hearing. Do you understand?”

Draco felt his face warm. He stood up and formally bowed to the court. “My apologies, sir.” He sat back down on the suddenly hard wooded bench.

Rebekka turned to address the court, “Jimber Quarrell Dokes, is a man who lives in the shadow of the law. He has been known to smuggle magical plants to Vardoo communities on surrounding islands so Shamans could heal their patients. He also smuggled illegal Muggle chemicals to kill the fungi that threaten the Merlin Grass fields of the Island. And for his Humanitarian works he does not charge. He is a man that gets things done and has friends in all classes.

Rebekka’s comment triggered a raised eyebrow on Bede’s lined face. “Have you had any further contact with this Jimber Quarrell Dokes since you arrived?” he asked.

“Only a letter in August. He claimed that he had received the statues after the thieves were not paid the promised amount. Jimber Quarrell made discreet inquires about returning the stolen goods. However, he became increasing convinced that the theft had been organized by either a member of the government or someone who had influence in the government. The letter was the last we heard from him,” Rebekka said.

“Do you have these letters?” Bede’ inquired.

“No. We destroyed the letters as he had requested,” replied Rebekka. “We were keeping the items safe until he heard it was safe to return them.”

“How do you know he was not lying to get items out of the country?” asked Bede’.

Isaac said in a clear booming voice, “My father is a man of many sins. However, lying is not one of them.”

Draco winced. Even if Isaac was correct, his statement sounded more like an excuse than a reason. It was not a reason that the court would find convincing.

Rebekka entered into evidence the reference letters from Harry Potter, Ronald and Hermione Weasley, Hannah and Neville Longbottom and the Malfoys. The Presiding Official gave the documents a cursory glance and set them aside.

During the review of the letters, Draco opened the folded sheet that Hermione had left him. The note read,

Justice Shaman Andris Andojian Tower of Justice. He estimates the equivalent of eleven hundred Galleons.

Draco felt his eyes almost pop out of his head at the estimate. Draco read the rest of the note and looking up from the note to see Rebekka and Isaac holding hands under the desk.

After an additional half hour of the hearing, the presiding official called a recess. In spite of Rebekka’s great legal and oratory skills, Draco, Isaac and especially Rebekka knew that the case was probably already lost.

It was a time of decision for the Dokes. Rebekka could accept defeat and keep any additional arguments to herself, and away from Korhogo’s eyes, for use in a court room she was familiar with. However, that strategy would put her in a court controlled by people who had it in for them.

Or she could attempt to build a case that Deportation to the Island could be life threatening. She could paint the government of the Island as monsters. It might keep her in a British jail if it was successful or make her defenseless on the Island if she was not. As Rebekka talked with Isaac, Draco pulled out the paper Weasley had given him.

Draco interrupted, “Do you know Andris Andojain?”

Rebekka looked surprised, “Yes, he has brought cases before me. He is very good young Shaman.”

Isaac perplexed asked, “How do you know him, Draco?”

“I had Hermione Weasley contact him. He is willing to take your case,” Draco said.

“Andris is not an idealist. Why would he take the case? If he wins, he will make powerful enemies and, worse for him, if he loses, it will hurt his reputation,” she said.

“How much did he ask for?” Isaac asked.

Draco hesitated. He thought about lying to his friends and quoting a lower number. However, it was their lives on the line and they deserved the whole truth “Eleven Hundred Galleons,” Draco answered.

Isaac’s eyes widened. “We barely have a hundredth of that. He might as well have asked for the moon also.”

“Don’t worry, you have friends here,” Draco added. “Let me go and talk with Hermione Weasley so we can arrange things.”

Rebekka looked at Isaac. He nodded back. Turning toward Draco, she said, “Go.”


Hogwarts

Scorpius watched as Jimber dove under the table in the Great Hall to pick up his dropped fork. It was about the fifth thing that his distracted friend had dropped or knocked over this Tuesday morning. Albus and Rose were also closely watching him. The three were powerless to help their friend. Scorpius noticed Rose elbow Albus and he looked up to see Professor Longbottom walking down the aisle toward them.

“Jimber, could you please come to the Headmaster’s office with me?” asked Longbottom. Jimber gave a half nod. “I’m certain the Headmaster wouldn’t if mind your friends accompany you,” he added.

Jimber could not speak he just nodded again. So the four young Gryffindors followed their Head of House to Headmaster Flitwick’s office. They sat on the same bench the boys had sat on just six weeks earlier. And once again, the fate of them all waited beyond the door.

The door opened and Professor Hagrid walked out of the office. He stopped and gave them a half hearted smile as he made his way to the revolving spiral staircase.

“Come in,” said the voice of the Headmaster from the office.

Jimber looked at Scorpius “My feet don’t want to move.” Jimber looked at each of his friends in turn and then, as if he was lifting an elephant on his back, he struggled to his feet. The three friends followed Jimber into the office.

Headmaster Flitwick walked over to his young visitors. He looked Jimber squarely in the eyes and said, “There is no way to make this easier for you, but your parents lost their case. Your family will have to leave Britain and return to your homeland. The day of your deportation is this Friday.”

Scorpius was irate. “Why does he have to go now? Why can’t he finish the school year here?”

“Yeah!,” added Albus.

“Yes, the Island’s magical school is closed. He should be allowed to continue his education,” Rose chimed in. Scorpius smiled; it was the first time since the holidays that the three of them had been truly united.

“I agree. However, the law is very specific on this, I’m sorry to say,” replied the Headmaster. “However, Mr. Dokes, I have arranged with the Auror office for up to three of your classmates to accompany you to London on Friday. It will mean that any class work missed will be due on Monday.”

Rose, Albus and Scorpius nodded. Scorpius would have finished a month’s worth of work to be able to support his friend. Jimber said nothing but nodded accepting the offer.


Malfoy Manor

Dumbledore floated in the air just beyond the ramparts of the Astrology Tower. Draco asked him what he wanted. What did he want him to do? Dumbledore was silent.

Draco awoke in the middle of a panic attack. He slid out of bed and sat down on the floor. Draco heard Astoria roll over in the bed behind him. “Draco?” she asked.

“Go back to sleep, Astoria. Just a bad dream that’s all,” he told her in a voice that was calmer than he felt.

“Dumbledore, again? You were calling his name,” she replied, as she slid to the edge of his side of the bed and began to stroke the side of his head with her hand. “It’s been years since you had nightmares about that night.”

“No, they are new dreams. He wants me to do something. And all he says is that I know what must be done,” he said. “Why can’t the old bugger just tell me?”

A slight snicker emanated from the bed behind him. “Dumbledore was always a mystery. When did the dreams start? Over the holiday at Hogwarts?” Draco nodded in the dark. “Tell me about this Andris character.”

Draco reacted so violently that he bumped his head against the side of the bed. “Andris? How did you find out about him?”

“I saw Hermione Weasley having lunch with Hannah while Bethany and I were out. She wondered if she should give him the go ahead.”

“I meant to tell you earlier. It’s just the cost - It could mean another year here,” he said.

“Like I could be happy in my new home, knowing what it cost my friends to get it!” she said, and the hint of anger in her voice made him ashamed of himself.

“It’s not just the money, Astoria. If we are going to truly help Isaac and Rebekka, we must first take the most precious things in their lives away from them. I don’t know if I have the strength to do it.”

“Do what, my love? You’re not making sense,” Astoria said.

Draco turned to face the bed and rose on his knees. Following her breathing, he found her lips and kissed her as gently as he could in the dark. “I think I know why Dumbledore is haunting my sleep. I can’t let history repeat itself. I can’t let the innocent suffer while I can stop it. Astoria, will you support my decision even if it means we have to live in the shop?”

“I’d live in an alleyway, if I could have you and Scorpius with me --” she replied. His kiss cut off the rest of her sentence.

“In the morning, we must get to Hermione Weasley’s office first thing. We may already be too late.”


Ministry of Magic

Although Rose and Albus knew their way to Ron Weasley’s office, they let Jimber set the pace. Once at the security booth, where, as part of the ruling, he had to turn over his wand to the Bailiff, and a second time, getting on to the lift, he just seemed to freeze. Unable to take a step toward his destination, he just stood there and his friends let him proceed at his own halting pace.

When the foursome finally reached the proper floor, Jimber’s eyes followed the lift’s gate as it opened. He slowly exited the lift and stopped. He looked to his right toward Rose and asked, “Which way?”

Rose nodded to her left and the little group of first years made their way through the hallway filled with walking adults. Jimber walked slowly until he saw the door on the left side of the hall. The painted smoke glass window bore the name of Ronald Weasley.

Jimber turned toward his friends. He shook Albus’ hand and said, “Give James a kick in the pants for me; I owe him one from Christmas.” Albus’ attempt at laughter came out as a choked squeak.

Jimber next looked into Rose’s eyes and gave her a bear hug. “You look after these two - they’re gonna get in all kinds of trouble without me to keep them in line.” And, whispered into her ear so softly that only she heard, “Take care of Scorpius. He likes you more than he’s willing to admit.”

Rose gave a quick sniff and reached into her jean’s pocket to pull out a hanky.

“Scorpius, old friend, remember me, will you? Don’t let Rose do all of your thinking, or let Albus have all the fun, okay?” Jimber’s voice quavered.

“Jimber,” was all that came out of Scorpius. His brain, his heart and his soul seemed to be locked up. Scorpius attempted to smile, but he knew it didn’t look like it.

Jimber Isaac Dokes straightened up, turned the door knob and entered the office waiting room. Already, in the room were his sister, Bethany, a woman sitting at a desk by the door and the two Aurors from the Hogwart’s investigation: Smith and Sterling.

Ron Weasley stood in the doorway of his office, looking at the eight people in his waiting room. He avoided his daughter’s and nephew’s gazes, as he gave his men their orders. They were to take the Dokes children to their sealed flat: Collect clothes, possessions and books that they would need and wait until their luggage had been inspected by both the British Customs and the Island Customs office. The items removed from the flat would also be inspected and the children would be allowed to take these items with them for everyday use.

Auror Smith looked down at Bethany and said, “Do you know, I’ve got a little girl just a few years younger than you. She’s eight. How old are you?”

Bethany looked at her brother as if asking him if it was okay to answer. Jimber nodded.

“I’ll be ten next week.”

With that answer Bethany began to sob and her big brother wrapped his arm around her and they left the room.

Rose just kept glaring at her father, almost daring him to say something. After some uncomfortable minutes, Ron broke down under her gaze and spoke,

“It’s all out of my hands, Rosie. I’m sorry.”

And with that said, Ron Weasley picked up a folder from a cabinet top and walked over to his assistant.

Without being asked she said, “The minister and Mr. Potter will be up on the first level - room three.” Ron Weasley smiled at his daughter and she did not return it. Disappointed, Ron left his office to report to his bosses.

As they waited, Rose slipped off her shoes and sat cross-legged on the cushioned chair in front of her father’s assistant, reading the Muggle Newspaper ‘The Times’. Albus and Scorpius passed the time with the portable chess set. Scorpius was so distracted, Albus would have had him checkmated in three moves, but a blindingly bright owl flew through the wall of the office and landed in Mr. Weasley’s office. The kids and the assistant ran in the room through the door.

The owl spoke with Smith’s voice. “A large, maybe pregnant, green-robed witch attacked us at the Dokes’ flat. Sterling is down. I’m attempting to hold her off. The Dokes kids have run out of the door into the Muggle street. I need immediate assist…” The owl disappeared with a contorted look on its face.

The aged assistant’s features turned into the same color as her hair. She hurriedly walked back into her office, picked up her wand from the desk, began to scribble notes on paper and tapped them with her wand, sending out the word.

In the office, Albus, Rose and Scorpius looked at each other. Jimber and Bethany were lost in the Muggle world without wands. Rose spoke first. “They live in a Muggle area. Has Jimber ever mentioned any Muggle friends he might hide with?”

“No. And even if he did, he would just be putting them in danger against a witch who can take down Aurors,” Scorpius replied. “Jimber would try to get help from the magical world, but there is nothing near there.”

“So they’re running down Muggle streets?” asked Albus.

“Maybe a bus?” prompted Rose.

“No, the tube! They went by tube to get to Diagon Alley, and Bethany has been coming to the Potion shop with her mother by the tube for months. They’re heading toward the Leaky Cauldron via the Underground,” said Scorpius.

The children heard Ron Weasley tell his assistant to alert St. Mungo’s about downed Aurors. They heard her chair scrape and the door shut. Just then, in walked Harry Potter, Ron Weasley and three blue-robbed men. Weasley shouted, “We’ve got at least one man down at the flat. Eyre, you and Bertram, go to the Muggle street and attempt to find the children. Harry and I will go straight to the flat with Elliot.”

“Dad!” shouted Rose.

“Don’t worry honey, we’ll get them,” he said as he, Potter, and a third man disappeared in front of them.

“We know where they’re going,” Albus shouted as the other two Aurors disappeared.

Scorpius looked at his friends, wide-eyed, “It’s up to us.”

Rose’s jaw dropped as she said, “Are you crazy? She defeated two Aurors! We’ve just turned twelve!”

“We don’t have to defeat her, we just have to get them to the Leaky Cauldron.” Scorpius explained. “There’s sure to be dozens of witches and wizards there. Maybe even Aurors. “

“Makes sense, Rose,” added Albus.

Rose chewed the inside of her cheek for a second. “I don’t know. I think we should wait for an adult.”

“Who?” shouted Scorpius. Albus shook his head vehemently in agreement.

“Uncle Percy?” Rose tentatively offered.

“You can’t be serious,” Albus responded and Rose was forced to agree.

“Okay, on one condition.”

Rose took a blank sheet of paper off of the assistant’s desk. She took the quill from the desk and wrote.

We think the Dokes’ children heading to Leaky Cauldron via Muggle tube. Scorpius, Albus and I are going to nearest station to Cauldron to help them. Send help to station or Leaky Cauldron. Rose Weasley

Rose placed the paper on the assistant’s desk and the three children raced out of the waiting room toward the lift. Five seconds after their lift left the floor an inter-office memo flew in through the door and landed on top of Rose’s note.