Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Scorpius Malfoy and the Sins of the Fathers by Hotrav

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Draco caught his breath at the alley door of the Leaky Cauldron. He pulled his wand out of his robe and slowly turned the knob to open the door into the pub. As he peered in, the room seemed filled with a blue smoke. Through the thick haze, about six feet in front of him, he could see a green-clad black woman stood barefoot on the stone floor. Flying in circles around her, like planets around a sun, were four glowing totems. A necklace spun around each of her extended wrists. The room lit up as a blue bolt of lightning fired at a blond woman crouched behind an overturned table. Luna Scamander deflected the lightning, but the electrical charge made her fine dishwater blonde hair stand on end. As Draco blinked to rid his eyes from the after image of the bolt, he saw an inert body lying at Luna’s feet.

Luna fired a spell whose purple light seemed to be blocked by a floor-to-ceiling light blue shield. Draco concentrated and silently cast “Stupefy”. The red light burst forth from the wand and seemed to pierce the blue shield, but was blocked by a green one. After his spell struck, one of the totems crashed to the floor.

Suddenly, a gale was blowing from the green totem. Draco was forced to turn his head to the side as the wind blowing into his face seemed to steal his breath away. As the wind filled his robe, almost pulling him back, Draco forced his hands in front of his nose to block the wind and the wood splinters from the shattered furniture from striking his face; he made a stabbing motion with his hands and silently cast “Stupefy!” The spell struck the witch’s shield spells and bounced up, cracking a wooden beam in the ceiling and sending plaster crashing on the floor. The attack put an end to the windstorm.

Draco barely got a shield up in time to block a fireball. As the witch concentrated on him, he saw Luna fire a second spell which caused a second totem to fall. Draco immediately recast his spell and for a second the shield held, but finally the red light struck the witch and she fell to one knee. Before she could recover, Draco ran forth and pulled the necklaces off of her wrist. As he did, the last totem, and the woman, fell to the floor.

As he pulled back from his adversary, Draco heard Luna shout, “Hannah! Are you okay? Please, say something!”

A moan came from the figure on the floor and the form rolled into a sitting position. Just as Draco arrived to ask the women the whereabouts of Scorpius and others, a green flash erupted in the fireplace and out charged Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley and two blue-clad men. The two Aurors walked over to the unconscious witch. They used a binding spell and levitated her body from the floor.

Weasley signaled for Luna and Draco to step to the side. The shock of the battle seemed to be wearing off for Draco as he approached Weasley.

Luna’s hair was still standing on end, plaster dust and wood chips decorating her mane.

“Hello, Ron. Draco. It’s been quite an adventurous day… for a Friday…in February,” Luna greeted them.

“The children? Scorpius and the others, where are they?” Draco asked her.

“Your son, Rose, Albus and the rest went upstairs to protect my twins. I would be very carefully going upstairs after them- they were really excited. They might attack first and think later.” Luna confided, as she pointed to the doors to the kitchen.

Out of the bursting flames in the fireplace, Neville Longbottom, followed by Headmaster Flitwick, stepped. Neville saw Hannah seated on the floor next to destroyed tables and ran shouting her name, to her side. Draco turned toward the door that Luna had pointed him toward.

As he reached the kitchen, Ron Weasley joined him. The two old adversaries looked at each other then and turned to jointly walk up the stairs. Luna was two steps behind them. At the top of the stairs, Draco and Ron shouted out the children’s names. When they received no response to the calls, the two men began to run from room to room without finding anyone. After about five fruitless minutes, the two men ran back into the dining room to find Luna holding a piece of paper.

“I bet all that very masculine running around and bellowing helped with the tension you both felt, but I found a note on the table from Rose. It says they went to Grandma’s. I assume she meant the Burrow,” Luna said, in a sing song voice. Reflecting for a second, Luna added, “I hope they put the twins down for a nap, else they will more than I can handle.”

Weasley looked at Draco and shrugged. Draco thought, “I use to think of her as such a waste, but in small doses.”

Draco gestured for Ron Weasley to go to the fireplace first. Weasley raised an eyebrow at his manners. Draco smiled at him and said, “With your parents most likely sitting in front of the fireplace with their wands at the ready, I feel it would be best if a familiar face was the first one to appear.”

Ron Weasley smiled and said, “Makes sense.”

The three parents each took the proper amount of powder from the jar that sat on the dining room table next to the note, and with Ron Weasley going first stepped into the fireplace shouting, “The Burrow.”


The Burrow

Draco gathered himself as he entered the kitchen of the Burrow. He recognized the room from its duplicate that he had spent Christmas in at Hogwarts. Ron Weasley was hugging his daughter. Draco stepped aside to wait. Luna stepped out of the fireplace.

“Hello, everyone. Are the twins lying down?” asked Luna to Molly Weasley.

“Yes, Rose and the other little girl took them into Ginny’s old room right after they arrived,” Molly said, smiling at the younger woman. “Dear, why don’t you let them sleep? You can pick them up later. It will be fun to have little ones in the house again.”

Luna turned her head to the right looking out of the kitchen window to the yard outside and said, “You better hide your chickens. They like to try and ride them.”

“I’ll lock the chickens away,” replied Arthur Weasley, as he attempted to hide a chortle.

Luna walked to the fireplace, turned to the group, waggled the fingers of her left hand and used the floo network to return to the Leaky Cauldron.

Draco stood by the fire place; he held his wand by his side, rolling it in his fingers. He wished that Scorpius was not present. If the boy had been elsewhere, what he had to do would be so much easier.

Ron looked at Rose and said, “Way to go, Rosie. It was brilliant of you to think about using the floo network to come here for protection.”

Rose blushed and shook her head. “I didn’t think of it. Scorpius did. He even suggested where to go. He was brilliant.” The young woman smiled at the boy. He awkwardly smiled back.

Draco saw his son’s face redden with embarrassment and the Weasley girl’s look of adoration. He sighed. I thought we got past all of this. However, a father’s curiosity trumped any romantic misgivings. Draco asked, “Scorpius, why here of all places?”

“We needed someplace that we could leave a note and have that witch be clueless about our destination. Plus we all know that Rose’s Grandma defeated your Aunt Bellatrix to protect her children. Imagine what she’d do to protect her grandchildren.”

Ron looked at Draco. It was obvious that the boy’s logic was as brilliant as the girl thought it was.

Molly Weasley offered the two men, mugs of hot tea and biscuits on a plate. Ron Weasley, acting very uncomfortably, turned down the offer. Draco buying time accepted the mug and tried to initiate the Grandparents in conversation.

However, Ron Weasley reached into his pocket and pulled out a watch with a golden chain. He opened the watch and it said, “Three Twenty-Seven P.M.” Draco watched as Ron looked over at his daughter, who was standing next to Scorpius, and chatting with Jimber Dokes. Weasley seemed to be readying himself for an expected blow.

Ron stood up with his wand in his hand. The elder Weasleys focused on their son as he said, “Bethany. Jimber. It’s time we took you back to my office so you can go back to the Island.”

Rose stepped between her friend and her father. She had a look of anger on her face. “No. Dad, you can’t do this!” As she yelled at her father, and beside her stepped Albus and Scorpius, holding their wands extended, formed a wall in front of the two Dokes.

Jimber’s sad voice cut through Rose’s repeated yells, “Rose, we all knew how it was going to end.” Jimber reached out to physically lower Scorpius’ wand from Mr. Weasley’s face. “Bethany and I will never forget you three for all you did.”

The hurt look on Ronald Weasley’s face almost made Draco sorry for him. However, Draco could not allow Weasley to do what he wanted.

“Expelliarmus!” Draco shouted. The word almost seemed to stick to the roof of his mouth, but he got it out. The wands of Ron Weasley, his mother, his daughter, and Scorpius and Albus all flew toward him. Like a flock of oddly shaped Snitches, Draco caught all of the wands. Stunned, the occupants of the Burrow fell silent.

Draco took Mrs. Weasley’s wand and set it on the wooden table in front of him. He then took the kids wands and sat them next to her wand. He placed Ron’s wand in his front robe pocket. “I’m sorry, but we can’t leave for another half an hour.”

“What are you playing at, Malfoy?” asked Ron Weasley, confusion overlaying a touch of anger.

Draco smiled at Ron. He turned toward Arthur, whose hand was reaching into his Muggle bomber jacket pocket, and requested, “I know that the Order used talking Patronus to communicate. Could you send one to Hermione’s office and a second one to Ron’s office and instruct your daughter-in-law and my wife to come to your home? And if they run into Harry Potter, have them invite him along also.”

Arthur Weasley looked at his son, Ron shrugged. The elder Weasley pulled out his wand and Draco saw a hesitation in the hand. Draco was wondering if Mr. Weasley would attempt an attack. Arthur Weasley looked into Draco’s eyes. After ten or so seconds, two bright weasels burst forth from the wand, disappearing through the walls.

“Perfect,” said Draco, sounding more confident than he felt. He looked in the middle of the table and saw the dish piled with biscuits. “Are those Ginger Snaps? If they are the same recipe as the ones your daughter made over Christmas, I wonder if I might bother you for a couple of them, Mrs. Weasley.”

Molly Weasley started to slide the dish over, until her caution overtook her natural sharing instincts. Draco leaned forward and took two of the cookies into his hand. After taking the first bite, which was as good as he remembered, he turned toward Ron Weasley. Weasley’s face was turning redder by the second. Draco had to do something to puncture the man’s anger or else he might find himself in a duel with a trained Auror.

“You should be thankful, you know, Weasley,” Draco drawled. “I’m saving you from the temporary loss of your daughter’s unconditional love and respect. And at the same time, I’m keeping you from sleeping in the kennel. You’ll thank me later.”

“Like that’s gonna happen,” Ron Weasley responded.

At that moment, the image of an otter flooded the kitchen with light. Out of the Otter’s mouth, Hermione Weasley’s voice spoke. “Astoria, Harry and I are at the Leaky Cauldron. We are coming through.”

Draco walked around the table to face the fireplace with his wand extended. Hermione spun in the hearth and stepped out into the kitchen. She froze when she saw Draco standing their holding his wand. Just as Hermione stopped, Astoria stepped out of the flames. She stopped next to Hermione. Draco raised a questioning eyebrow toward his wife and she gave a slight nod in return as she asked, “Draco? What have you done?”

When Harry Potter did not immediately follow the two women through the fireplace, Draco began to worry about the cause of the delay. After about five minutes, Harry Potter spun out the fireplace. Harry looked at Draco, Ron and the children standing with their friends.

“Forgive me. It’s just that Weasley and I have been discussing why he can’t take Jimber and Bethany to the Ministry for Deportation today,” Draco said, stretching the truth about as far as he could.

Harry’s eyes darted from Draco to his best friend. Potter grimace and answered, “I doubt that, but go ahead anyway.”

Draco saw Ron give Harry a confused look. Draco wasn’t certain what game Harry was playing, but as long as they wanted the same thing, he didn’t matter. He knew that his time was limited.

“We all know that your men and the Dokes children were attacked. And only a fool would consider the timing an accident. It is also obvious who arranged the attack: Korhogo.”

“Yes, he visited my office yesterday. He kept mentioning the time of his departure. I found it very odd and only when I reflected on the attack did it become obvious that he was setting up an alibi. How could he have anything to do with an attack that occurred while he was in transit back to the Island?” said Harry Potter. Weasley head bobbed in acceptance of the analysis.

“So Korhogo orchestrated the attack, but to what end?” asked Draco. He attempted to answer the question, hoping to sculpt the discussion toward his resolution, “Maybe, the attack was an attempt to orchestrate a hostage swap. The Dokes children for the two Mailiaites?”

Ron shook his head, “Shacklebolt’s Ministry doesn’t negotiate for prisoners.”

Draco nodded. However, before he could give the answer that he wanted everyone to agree upon, Ron Weasley added, “Could be revenge? The taint is something that can be used to get revenge on those who attacked your tribe.”

Draco forced a smile. Who would have thought that Weasley would have a thought as insightful as this one?

“Yes, but how would that have helped our visitor from the Island? No, I think the attack was a message to the parents. We can get your children no matter what you do. And you will be in jail during your trial.”

“That fits what Rebekka and Isaac were afraid of. With Isaac’s father in jail, the kids would have had to live with Rebekka’s elderly widowed mother,” chimed in Hermione.

“Exactly. The children as pawns,” inserted Draco before someone could change the subject. Draco walked over to Bethany and Jimber. He flicked his wand and two chairs were conjured. He motioned with his arm for the children to sit in the chairs.

Bethany and her brother sat uncertainly on the edges of their chairs.

Draco crouched down to place his face on the same level as his subjects. “Bethany, do you know what a guard is?”

The little girl’s head bobbed and she said, “A guard protects something.”

“Yes,” Draco said as he nodded in agreement. He paused, trying to frame the argument in his head. He knew that he would have only one chance to get this right.

“When I was a little older than James, my father was arrested for doing bad things. So every day for a month, I had to go to the courtroom with my mother past people who shouted insults, past reporters shouting questions, and listen to people say how bad a man my father was. It was hard. My mother came home every day from the trial and cried all night. And even though I knew they were right about my father, it still hurt. When your parents return to the Island, they will be in a trial with your grandfather Dokes. People will tell lies about them and you will have to sit there being quiet and not react.” Bethany who looked on the verge of tears looked at her brother. Jimber reached over to take her hand and gave Draco a stony stare.

“Mrs. Weasley and my wife have got papers that give Astoria and I guardianship of the two of you. It doesn’t mean that you are not your parent’s children. It means that your parents want you to be safe, and, until the trial is over, you would stay here. And when the trial is over, you may join your parents, or your parents may come back here. Would you want to stay here with us?”

“I want to be with my mommy!” Bethany cried. Draco looked to Astoria, but she nodded her head. It was up to him.

“Bethany, your mommy will be in jail. You would only see her in a courtroom,” Draco said softly to the crying girl. He turned from the girl to be brother. He might be able to use the boy’s protective feelings toward his sister to win the day. “If you go back to the Island, you will be in danger. And the better things go in the courtroom for your parents, the more danger you and your sister will be in. They will try and use you to hurt your parents.”

Jimber gave a little nod. “I think Scorpius’ dad is making sense, Bethany.”

“Jimber, Bethany, we will need you to sign the paper work that Mrs. Weasley and my wife have brought,” Draco said smiling at the children.

“Their signature is not all that you need,” said Hermione. Draco nodded. Of course, he would have to sign the paperwork also. Then, she said something that shocked him, “Ron has to sign too.”

“Huh?” blurted out both Ron and Draco in the same breath.

“Draco, with your family history, the Ministry Officials required witnesses to our guardianship. He would only grant the request if we could get someone to monthly file paperwork attesting to the status of the children. Hermione volunteered the two of them as the official witnesses,” said Astoria, speaking barely above a whisper.

“You volunteered us to do - what? Go to Malfoy Manor and have tea and crumpets while we reminisce how his aunt tortured you there?” a disbelieving Ron Weasley asked.

“You won’t be visiting the manor. Late last night, Astoria and I moved all of our things to the back room of the potion shop,” Draco said looking at his son. “We also got most of your things Scorpius. I doubt your grandparents will deny you anything we missed.”

“Why’d you move out?” asked Ron Weasley.

“My parents wouldn’t let Isaac and Rebekka eat in their house. So if we were to take responsibility for Bethany and Jimber, we knew we had to move out. So we will temporarily live in the back of the shop until we can find a place to rent,” he replied.

“Why not buy your own place?” asked Harry Potter.

Draco looked over to Potter. He had almost forgotten he was in the kitchen.

“I don’t think that’s any of your business, Potter,” said Draco.

“Draco. What’s more important your pride or the children,” Astoria rebuked her husband.

Draco looked at his wife. He delayed his response, as her eyes bored into him. Finally he said, “We almost had enough to purchase a modest place, but we sent that money to the Island to help pay for Isaac and Rebekka’s legal fees.”

He saw Potter make a pensive face. Then his mouth twitched and he said, “Not very Slytherin of you was it?”

Draco’s head retracted slightly. He would have expected such a comment from Weasley, not Potter. He reflected on the statement and could not find any response that fit. Finally, he shrugged in response.

After a couple of seconds of silence, Hermione stepped forward to the kitchen table. She conjured a quill and an ink bottle and she showed Jimber and Bethany the place to sign. The two Dokes children signed the paperwork, and Jimber handed the quill back to Mrs. Weasley.

Draco stepped up to the documents. He saw where Astoria had already affixed her signature. He dipped the quill in the bottle and froze. Turning toward Ronald Weasley, he said, “You know, if I’m charged with a crime, these papers are worthless. So, Auror Weasley, are you going to place charges against me for disarming you earlier?”

Ron Weasley seemed to have forgotten about Draco’s earlier action. He paused as if he was weighing the ramifications of all of his options. Finally, he announced to the room, “As I recall there were a whole lot of angry wands pointed in the room at the time. You might have saved my life. We will never know.”

Draco straightened up. Weasley had surprised him again. Draco wondered what his response would have been without his wife and daughter watching him. Draco nodded at Ron accepting his reprise no matter what the reason and said, “Thank you.” Draco lifted the quill and signed his name and handed the quill to Weasley.

After Weasley signed the paper, Draco checked his owned pocket watch. It was well past four thirty. He looked at Hermione and asked, “Now what?”

“Bede’ gave us to four thirty to return with the paperwork,” she answered, concerned. “He may have already turned them over to the Islanders.”

“No, he hasn’t,” chimed in Harry Potter. “After the battle in the Leaky Cauldron, I sent a Patronus notifying Alfred that the Dokes and their children were material witnesses in our investigation of attacks on ministry personnel. He gave our Department until Monday to finish our investigation. So no one will be going to the Island until Monday.”

Draco laughed. His response seemed to shock himself more than everyone else in the room, so in response he looked to Molly Weasley and asked, “Could I have another one of those Ginger Snaps?”


Diagon Alley

Draco still had a crick in his back from where Bethany had pushed him out of their temporary bed in the backroom. As he arched his back exploring to see if the stretch would help with the discomfort, the bell tinkled and three people walked into the room: Harry Potter, his wife Ginny, and their daughter.

Bethany peeked through the door and, seeing Lily she ran, screeching, to greet her friend. As the girls walked to the window seat of the store, Draco focused on the adults.

“Mr. and Mrs. Potter, how can we help you?’

“It’s actually how we might be able to help you,” said Ginny Potter. By this time, Astoria had walked out of the work room, drying her hand on a towel as she approached. “Do you think you could close the shop early today?”

Draco looked out of the window. The threatening February sky had kept the foot traffic to a trickle all morning. “I think that can be arranged.”

“Girls, we are about to take a trip. Come here, please,” instructed Harry Potter.

“Where are we going?” Astoria asked.

“Bethany, take my hand,” said Harry Potter. Draco, Astoria and Bethany joined hands. Bethany took Potter’s left hand and the instant she grasped it the whole group Disapperated.

They arrived in a small grassy area across from a block of run down Muggle buildings. The six walked across the street to where the fence between numbers eleven and thirteen met.

“Where are we going to, Potter?” asked Draco. He was trying to not insult the man.

Harry Potter smiled and instructed his three guests, “I own a house at Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place.

Suddenly, in between the two existing addresses, a new yard and doorway appeared. The adult Potters walked toward the door. The Malfoys trailed behind them. Bethany, amazed, talked excitedly to Lily. Lily was giggling.

Harry unlocked the door and all six entered. As the door closed, two house-elves appeared. One was, what appeared to be, a young elf and the other an aged elf whose back was bent so low that his face seemed to be permanently staring at his feet. “Kreacher and Krowker, may I introduce you to the Malfoys.”

“Malfoys?” croaked the ancient elf. He lifted up his head. Draco instinctively extended his hand. The elf stared at Draco’s hand. Suddenly, the old elf grasped hold of Draco’s wrist. He seemed to stare at Draco’s shirt. “I would know these cufflinks anywhere. Oh, how many times did I clean them and place them on my master’s sleeves. Master Black, Kreacher is here to serve you again.”

Draco looked at Harry Potter, who was also confused. Astoria broke the silence, “Draco - the dark opal formal set. Where did you get it?”

“I inherited it as a child from my grandfather,” Draco started to answer. “Potter, what is this place?”

Harry did not answer him, but spoke to the elves.

“Kreacher. Draco Malfoy and his family, who are the last of the Black blood, need a place to live for awhile. Do you think that you and your nephew can take care of them?”

The old elf practically stood up straight. “Kreature would be honored to return to the service of the Noble House of the Blacks.” And, taking Draco by the hand, the small creature led Draco down the hall. “I will show you the tapestry. I will show you the place of honor you already hold in this household.”

Astoria stopped in front of Harry Potter. “How much will we owe you?”

“Nothing. It will keep us from having to come up with things to keep the two of them busy,” said Harry. “Stay here until schools out. If you like it here, maybe we can work something out.”

“No! I maybe a Malfoy by marriage, but Malfoys are not beggars,” she said, as she raised up to here full height. Actually, Astoria wanted to be convinced.

Harry looked at Ginny at a loss.

After a few second, Ginny smiled and said, “There is a fund at St Mungo’s Hospital, the fund pays for the care of those who cannot afford it. Perhaps a donation of a few Galleons every month would be an acceptable rent. And at least once a month, you will have to entertain Lily and Hugo in this house. And maybe overnight, if there is a need.”

Astoria smiled and nodded to the Potters.

Bethany walked over to Harry Potter. “Is there a room for me?”

Harry lowered his head toward the girl’s face. “There are a lot of rooms. Why don’t you and Lily pick the best one out,” he said. The two girls were running down the hallway yelling at the top of their voices.

Suddenly, a sound as loud as the two girls filled the hallway. Harry Potter walked down to a portrait, pulled out his wand, and then he seemed to change his mind.

“Kreacher, maybe you would like to introduce your mistress to the new family who will be living here?”

Draco was pulled in front of a portrait of an old woman. After Kreacher finished, Draco bowed to the portrait and complimented it for the lovely house. Suddenly, an almost purring sound emanated from the painting.

Draco turned toward his wife and smiled. They were home.