Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Phoenix Or The Flame by GinnyRULES

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Next chapter is the wedding you guys! Sorry, this was a little sappier than what I usually write, but I felt there hadn't been enough development for Parvati yet. Thank you all for the advice regarding my Dementor fic idea. I promise I won't start anything new until this one is finished. Though, now that my agent and I have embarked upon the arduous process of editing the final draft of my novel, updates may be less frequent. But I digress... A special shoutout to AlwaysSnily for the abundance of marvelous reviews! Few people take the time to review every chapter on a fic as they go through it, if they find it already halfway complete, and it is very much appreciated. (And to ALL my reviewers, nevilleherosnape, Dad, BookWorm530, CanisMajor, everyone else I've missed, I love you and appreciate you and I wouldn't do this without you! You all rock.) Now this note has gone on far too long, so here is the chapter... Enjoy!
CHAPTER NINE

–You're invisible and as wild as the sea
And you hurt what you hold most dear
You're the traitor, and you are me
You're the traitor, and I am thee”
-The Traitor (Sea Wolf)

–Finally,” Dudley muttered to himself as his phone rang. The number was listed as blocked. He threw a sidelong glance at the counter of the diner where he had taken Parvati, reassured himself that she was still deep in conversation with a server (who seemed rather bewildered by her fascination with the refrigerator box), and answered.

–Dudley?” said the familiar voice of Hermione Granger. Dudley noted that she sounded strained.

–You’ve been quiet lately,” Dudley remarked. –I seriously need to talk to you.”

–Sorry,” she replied shortly. –I don’t think it’s wise for you to have my phone number. My fiancé, Ron, he doesn’t understand telephones very well and if you rang and he answered our whole plan might be exposed. I want it to be a surprise.”

Dudley flapped his hands impatiently before remembering that she could not see him. –Right, well anyway, look, I was staying at the Lucky Cauldron Inn the other night and-”

–The Leaky Cauldron?” Hermione interrupted sharply. –Why? How did you get in? Dudley, you must be careful. That’s why I’m calling. There’s been a break-in at Hogwarts and Greyback-sorry, I keep forgetting how little you know, Greyback is a werewolf, horrible temperament-anyhow he’s suspected. It simply isn’t safe for Muggles, or anyone really, to be wandering about wizarding London alone right now.”

Dudley’s insides had clenched in horror and revulsion at the word werewolf, and for a moment he was quite unable to speak.

–I read about it,” he said slowly when his voice returned. –In the, er, wizarding newspaper. This werewolf nutter stole a sword, didn’t he? Parvati talked to a reporter about it.”

Over at the counter Parvati had turned back and was waving at him. Even as his stomach did a pleasant backflip, he awaited Hermione’s response with mounting anxiety.

–Yes,” Hermione said, and there was something odd in her tone, something almost like a question. It was almost as though she was surprised to hear him speaking so openly about magic. –I’ve been puzzling over it all day, and I know there’s something dodgy about it, but I just can’t place it at the moment.”

–But at the Leaky Goblin I overheard something in the room next to mine,” Dudley went on, ignoring Hermione when she quietly corrected him on the name. –This bloke with a really growly voice was talking about something, some kind of object. It sounded like he’d stolen it.” Dudley took a shaky breath, feeling as though he was on the verge of coming unhinged, of imploding under the pressure of all the worries that had plagued him since he had met Parvati. She was returning to the table now, her hair dancing behind her, and Dudley knew that it was all worth it. –The thief said something about... bread?” he went on uncertainly, shaking his head. –No, that wasn’t it. Half- half-breed oaf, that’s what it was! He’d almost been caught by someone called Oaf, I think, at the edge of the grounds. I don’t know whether that means anything to you...”

But he trailed away then, because Parvati had sat down across from him at the table with a basket of French fries and was looking expectantly at him. Moreover, Hermione had inhaled sharply.

–But this- this is really important evidence!” Hermione exclaimed, startling Dudley. –Those foul little... I bet they were talking about Hagrid. This changes everything! Dudley, I have to go. Please promise you won’t go wandering through Diagon Alley alone anymore.”

Dudley opened his mouth to protest but she had already hung up. The fries Parvati had brought over smelled heavenly, and he stuffed five into his mouth at once, regretting his lack of grace a moment later.

–Sorry,” he muttered thickly through a mouthful of fries. –I was just talking to a friend.”

Parvati’s expression twitched into one of guarded amusement for a moment before she reached across the table and took Dudley’s hand, quite naturally, as though she did this every day.

–Why did you ask me to dinner, Dudley?” she asked quietly.

A hundred answers presented themselves, but Dudley did not think it would be appropriate at this stage in their relationship to tell her that he could not stop thinking of her every minute of the day, or that even after pretending to lose his memory he had not been able to stay away from her. Grinning in what he hoped would be a winning fashion, he gestured in her direction, as if to say Well, look at you? How could I not? She blushed, and Dudley’s stomach performed renewed acrobatics. It was not at all unpleasant.

–Why did you agree to come out with me?” he asked before the silence could grow uncomfortable. Also, he was genuinely curious.

Parvati smirked. –Oh, you know, I didn’t think I could finish all these fries on my own.”

Dudley dropped his eyes in embarrassment, but she was laughing once more, and when she looked up her face was much, much closer to his. He could feel her cool breath on his face and nothing else at all registered with him. She smelled like peppermint.

This time it was Dudley who leaned in closer and kissed her, only for a moment, and when she pulled back, flushed and smiling, he felt that he could have run fifty miles, leapt over Big Ben, boxed again- anything.

***

The golden days of summer crept up on London quite suddenly that year and Dudley, who had delved into his savings and taken up residence in a modest hotel near Charing Cross Road, felt that the city had never looked so well. Perhaps he had never looked at it properly before, but it seemed to him that the sky had never been such an enchanting, cornflower blue, the buildings never stood so staunch and proud against the horizon, the hustle and bustle of everyday traffic never fell so musically upon his ears. He met Parvati every day when they left work, taking her to movies and to restaurants and to quaint parks bathed in sunlight and filled with the fragrant aroma of cherry blossoms. He took her on outings filled with laughter and stolen kisses and unabashed happiness. As the weeks drew on and the day of Harry’s wedding approached Dudley fell into a blissful routine in which he went through his day’s work at Grunning’s like a sleepwalker, arriving on time and completing his work to his superior’s satisfaction, but always leaving at the earliest possible opportunity to spend time with Parvati. Meetings with his father in the corridors at work were tense, but Dudley was beyond caring about the dark looks and angry mutterings Vernon levelled at him whenever they came within sight of one another. And though Dudley stayed well away from the Lurky Cauldron, talking mirrors, boxing gnomes, and all manner of disturbing magical intrusions into his peaceful existence, he no longer even cringed at the mention of the words witch or wizard.

It was not until the eve of the wedding that grim tidings arrived to mar his bubble of contentment in the form of a particularly disheveled Hermione Granger knocking at his door.

–Oh,” said Dudley with an ill-disguised lack of enthusiasm when he saw her standing on his doorstep holding a gold embroidered envelope in one hand and a bag of heavy looking, leather-bound books in the other.

–Don’t look so happy to see me,” she said with a weak smile, entering his room without invitation and setting her bag down on the table with a thud. She handed him the letter. –This is for you, from Harry. I told him I’d help out by owling it but since I’m here...”

–Why are you here?” Dudley asked a little more rudely than he had intended. Hastily he added, –Er, can I get you something to drink?”

–No, thank you, I don’t have a lot of time.”

–Good, because I don’t have anything to drink.”

Hermione rolled her eyes. –Open the envelope.”

Dudley ripped it open to reveal a square piece of that animal hide colored paper bearing a simple, friendly invitation to the wedding of Harry Potter and Ginevra Weasley. Ginevra? Wasn’t that some kind of vodka, Dudley wondered wildly?

–I’ve sent out about three hundred more of those,” Hermione elaborated. –Harry wanted to keep it small but Molly-Ginny’s mother-got involved and sort of ran with it. It’s going to be a huge event.”

Dudley merely stared at her, uncomprehending.

–It would be the perfect opportunity to try something against Harry, wouldn’t it?” Hermione continued, as though stating a truth more self-evident than two plus two being equal to four.

Dudley felt that he was missing something that was staring him right in the face, but could not for the life of him tell what it might be. To avoid having to look at her and give away his ignorance, he pinned the invitation to Harry’s wedding to the refrigerator next to a small note Parvati had sent him by owl, detailing the time of their next meeting. The note smelled faintly of peppermint, like her hair, and Dudley smiled.

–The sword!” Hermione exclaimed, startling Dudley back to reality. –It’s too much of coincidence that the sword would be stolen from Hogwarts so close to Harry’s wedding.”

Dudley did not wish to admit that he had hardly given the sword a moment’s thought since his phone call with Hermione over a fortnight ago. He nodded sagely, hoping that this would suffice.

Hermione did not look as though she had been fooled, but said, –Of course the security at the wedding will be stringent, and I can’t really imagine anyone getting past the Aurors. Still, I’d like to discuss assigning you a personal security detail.”

Dudley tried to imagine enjoying himself with Parvati at the wedding while flanked by cloaked, wand-wielding guards, and grimaced.

–Couldn’t I just, you know, not draw attention to myself?” he asked hopefully.

–You’ll be the only Muggle at the wedding of the most famous wizard of this generation,” Hermione replied. –You’d be conspicuous even if you hid beneath a table all night.” Seeing his pained expression she added, –Don’t worry, you won’t even notice the security arrangements I’ve made. My housekeeper Winky has been, well, not unhappy, but a little restless lately. She feels I pay her too much and allow her far too many days off. She’s been asking me for more involved tasks for months, and I think this would be an adequate assignment. She’ll tail you from afar.”

–What about... er... Well Harry, won’t he need protection more than I will?”

–He’ll have it. A whole detachment of Aurors. No one will get to Harry if I have anything to say about it. Besides, if anyone can take care of themselves, he can.”

Dudley paused for a moment, then voiced the question that had been nagging at him for some weeks now.

–What did he do?” he asked. –Harry. Why is he so famous? What happened while I was in hiding?”

–You really don’t know,” said Hermione wonderingly, and Dudley felt his cheeks flush uncomfortably. –He defeated the most powerful dark wizard of all time.”

The tone of her explanation put Dudley in mind of the epic legends of the kings and queens and brave knights that populated many of his favorite video games. It was strange, but also somehow fitting, to hear Harry spoken of this way.

–You’ve made real progress, you know,” Hermione remarked to his surprise. –You’re much more open-minded than you were when we met. And your tip about the thief at the Leaky Cauldron was invaluable. I knew I was right to reach out to you.”

Before Dudley could do more than feel confused and slightly pleased, there was another knock at the door. Hermione jumped to her feet and seized her teetering stack of books as Dudley strode to the door and opened it. Parvati beamed at him, though her smile faltered a little when she caught sight of Hermione standing by the television set.

–Hi Parvati!” said Hermione brightly, exiting the room and nodding a goodbye to Dudley. –Lovely to see you again.”

–Yes, you too,” said Parvati, clearly bewildered.

–She was bringing me an invitation to Harry’s wedding,” Dudley explained once Hermione had left, gesturing in the direction of the refrigerator. Parvati walked around the table to examine it, and her face broke into a heartwarming smile when her gaze fell upon her note pinned next to the invitation. She was wearing an apple-green overcoat in place of her usual robes, with pale stockings that matched the color of the shimmering ribbons in her hair. Dudley’s heart ached just to look at her.

–You should wear that to the wedding tomorrow,” he said in an oddly constricted voice, unable, all at once, to move a single inch away from the door.

–Oh, I don’t think that would be at all proper,” Parvati replied with a mischievous grin. Yet something was clouding her expression, some serious, stormy shadow that erased the light from her eyes, and when she looked him full in the face her lip quivered. Dudley wanted to ask her what was wrong, but some blockage in his throat prevented him from doing so.

–I really like you, Dudley,” she began, though she remained on the other side of the table. –And it’s because I like you that I don’t think I can go on without telling you something about myself. Then you can... can decide if you still want to be with me. Once you’ve heard.”

Dudley’s eyes were wide, but he managed a stiff nod, his mind screaming, positively howling at him that she was talking about not seeing him anymore. That she was talking madness.

Parvati’s voice was tremulous as she launched into her monologue. –A few years ago, after the war ended, everyone in our- in the wizarding community was sort of adrift, you know, rebuilding every part of our world that had been destroyed. There was this kind of euphoria that You-Know-Who was finally gone. And I got caught up in it. I helped rebuild Hogwarts over the summer, and I met this boy there, Michael Corner. We had gone to school together and he was going out with someone I knew, but I was... different then. I didn’t really care; we started seeing each other, and I’m not proud of the way she found out, and how I convinced him to ditch her after.”

Her eyes sought his, implored him to understand, but still Dudley could not bring himself to move, afraid of what she might say.

–Then he died,” she pressed on. She stated it baldly, but there was pain in her voice. –It was a slow-acting curse, one of the Carrows did it, we think, and he seemed well at first but after about a year his body just began to fail and he- he wasted away.” A tear was gliding down her cheek now, but she continued to speak. –I felt so, so guilty about splitting him up with Cho-that was his girlfriend, before-and I couldn’t stand it. I felt like I had cheated them of their time together, or something. I can’t even be sure anymore, it’s all such a blur. So I went to him just as he was about to die, and I begged him not to leave me. I was quite irrational. But I suppose he took me at my word, because he chose not to go on. He chose to stay.”

–But I thought-” Dudley began, finding his voice at last. –He- he didn’t-?”

–Oh, he passed away,” Parvati clarified. –But he came back. He came back as a ghost, you see, and I don’t know if it was the curse that did it but he was a little addled. Still sweet and- and charming and all that, but also a little lost. He mostly stays around Hogwarts nowadays but once in a while he...” her lips trembled again and for a moment she seemed unable to go on. –Well, he pops in on me, you see. He doesn’t mean any harm, but he shows up unannounced at my flat or when I’m at work, and sometimes he just watches me, but sometimes I don’t think he knows he’s dead. I haven’t been able to go out with anyone since then. Anyone who was a wizard, I mean, and who spent time at the Ministry and all that, because he... Michael always found out, and he scared them all away. He couldn’t hurt them, of course, but I suppose they thought it was too much trouble, seeing a girl who was haunted. I thought of asking the Ministry to issue an official order of restraint, but I couldn’t do that to him. I’m- Well, I wish so badly that I could take it back. Take it all back.”

She finished her story at last, her gaze trained on her feet, her hands wringing together nervously, and Dudley gaped at her. He wondered if she had told anyone about this before, whether she had carried the burden of the misdeeds of her youth which paled in comparison with his own, for all this time. He thought perhaps that he ought to sympathize with her, to discuss her emotions as he heard all women liked men to do. But in those first few moments all he could think was... Is that all?

–So let me get this straight,” said Dudley in a voice as even, as expressionless as he could make it, and Parvati looked up at him, frightened. –You actually thought that that would be enough to get rid of me?”

For a second she stared, uncomprehending, and then her jaw slackened in the most charmingly astonished way, so that she looked shocked and grateful and bemused all at once.

–Are you sure?” she breathed. –You’re sure you don’t care?”

–I used to stuff Harry Potter’s head down the toilet when we were nine,” Dudley replied with a little shrug. –Once he adopted a stray cat and kept it in the hollow of a tree and brought it scraps from the dinner table, and I threw rocks at it and chased it away, just for fun. I punched him in the nose so often it looked like he was wearing a monocle instead of glasses half the time.”

Parvati looked caught between horror and a strong desire to giggle.

–I always wondered why someone so famous would arrive at Hogwarts looking so twitchy and underfed,” she settled on, and the tension was broken. Where mere minutes ago Dudley had been covered in a cold sweat, he now felt warm from head to toe, and Parvati reached up to undo the top button of her coat.

The door to the hotel corridor was still open, Dudley realized in a disjointed sort of way, but he could not pry his eyes away from her fingers as, slowly, she undid two more buttons, until the coat fell away entirely to reveal an absolutely outrageous dress that could really not be called a dress at all. There was hardly anything to it. Dudley’s legs had suddenly turned to jelly.

–Do you like it?” Parvati asked shyly, turning this way and that to show him the full effect of the glittering fabric. His stomach and arms and head must surely be turning to jelly too. –You do! I’m afraid I really mustn’t wear it to the wedding like you suggested, though. The color would clash horribly with your cravat.”

Before his courage could desert him, Dudley mutely closed the distance between them, closing the door behind him.