Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Second chance: The Dragon and the Lioness by Vginny

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: They work on the project by their own choice. Not forced by someone. The second chance is given to the ex Death Eater.
Many thanks to my truly helpful beta vivalavita. would not have been able to do this without her.
As Hermione had anticipated, Professor McGonagall was in her office shuffling through stacks of parchment when she arrived. She took a seat opposite the Headmistress and waited politely for her to finish her work, her mind racing to find a suitable way to express her doubts.

A few minutes later, or what seemed like an eternity inside the mind of Hermione Granger, Professor McGonagall placed the parchment she’d been reading down in front of her and lifted her head to acknowledge Hermione.

“My apologies for the delay Miss Granger. Tell me, is there a problem?” inquired the Headmistress, pushing her spectacles further up onto her nose.

“No, there’s no problem Professor. I just wante- well, I wanted to ask you something about the projects that we’re required to submit at the end of this year,” she paused, waiting for response, but continued speaking after a moments silence. “You see, Draco Malfoy has asked me to be his partner for the project. He told me that he’s already discussed his topic with you.”

“Yes. Mr. Malfoy and I have had a few rather lengthy discussions about his project,” Professor McGonagall stated simply.

“Well, he asked me to pair with him.”

”Yes, Miss Granger, you’ve already told me that.”

”He seems to think I’d be well suited for the project,” said Hermione.

“I quite agree that you have excelled in the field of Transfiguration. I fail to see the problem here Miss Granger,” grated the Headmistress rather impatiently.

“Er, well I’m not entirely convinced I am suited for this particular project, Professor.” Hermione replied sheepishly.

The Headmistress’ eyes narrowed slightly as she studied Hermione.

”Miss Granger, I find it hard to be believe that you fail to see your suitability with this project. I think it much more likely that you are finding it hard to see your suitability with Mr. Malfoy,” said Professor McGonagall, her voice still alive with a tone of impatience.

“You’re right Professor. I’m not entirely sure I’ll be comfortable working with him. He and his father were well known followers of Voldemort. My past experiences with him have only highlighted his cruelness, although as of late he’s been…different. And there’s a lot of- well there’s just so much history I’d have to work through…”Hermione trailed off; her voice had grown too small to continue.

Professor McGonagall gave her a stern look over her glasses and let out a slow breath. “If the war has taught us one thing Miss Granger, it’s that now is the time to unite. New friendships must overcome old prejudices. These words stand true not only outside these walls, Hermione, but inside as well. I believe the time has come for all the houses to unite. If we do not welcome the Slytherins with open arms, not only are we treating them with the same hostility and unkindness they once bestowed upon us, but it would surely not be long before we witness the rise of another dark wizard. Mr. Malfoy has overcome quite a lot through and after this war, both socially and academically, and I am happy to see that a student from Slytherin is taking an initiative. I would not want a Gryffindor to ruin his efforts, Miss Granger.”

Hermione felt the shameful blush rise in her cheeks.
“I understand Professor. I just wanted your opinion. This entire situation has got me rather confused…”

“It’s understandable Miss Granger. Circumstances like these are never easy to navigate, no matter how old or young you are,” Professor McGonagall paused, a kind smile now playing on her lips. “Please know that I cannot choose for you. This is something you must decide on your own. But I will always tell you what is best for you with complete honesty. And honestly, Miss Granger, I believe you would do well to work with Mr. Malfoy on this project.”

With that the Headmistress picked up the piece of parchment she had earlier abandoned and resumed with her previous work. Taking this as her cue to leave, Hermione muttered a soft ‘thank you’ and made her way out of the office and down the spiral staircase.

------------------------------------------

With Professor McGonagall’s advice in mind, Hermione made her way down to the Quidditch pitch in search of Ron, Harry, and Ginny.

She no longer had any doubts about her decision; perhaps she had already known what she was going to do before she had met with the Headmistress. But now her anxiety was overwhelming, taking up every thought in her mind and twisting her stomach into knots. How was she going to tell Ron and Harry? How would they react? Hermione knew the answer to the second question, but instead of putting her mind at ease, it only made her more nervous and fearful of bringing up the conversation.

When she arrived at the pitch, she had made the decision to tell them today, perhaps even after practice, when their spirits were still high. She leaned herself comfortably against the stands while the team finished what appeared to be an after practice meeting, then moved forward to greet them when Harry had dismissed the team.

“Hey!” Ron exclaimed, a huge grin spreading on his face, clearly pleased she had come to see them.

Hermione smiled a bit less warmly than she normally would have, but allowed him to wrap her into a hug.

“So, what’d you do this morning ‘Mione?”

“Nothing very exciting,” Hermione stated, trying to sound as casual as possible. “Went to the library and then went to see Professor McGonagall.”

True to form, Ron ignored her academic talk and jumped into a long winded run down of how the morning’s practice had played out.

“…I mean it was really a great practice, wasn’t it Harry? Brilliant. And I managed to block every Quaffle. Well, alright, I missed one, but still, that’s not bad form,” Ron finished proudly.

“That’s great, Ron. Really, it should come as no surprise though, you’re quite talented,” Hermione offered, happy to have found Ron in such a good mood.

Ron offered her another wide grin then took her hand, leading the way to the changing rooms.

She waited for them outside, and formulated a plan to tell them about the project on the way to lunch. This would create less of a scene (something she viewed as an inevitable event) and hopefully keep the conversation away from crowded Great Hall.)

Hermione was becoming more and more anxious the longer she waited, and was relived to see Ginny exit the changing rooms followed closely by Ron and Harry, still deep in discussion about the morning’s practice. She wrapped her jacket tighter around herself and took a deep breath.

“I need to tell you guys something,” she interjected, interrupting a heated debate Ron and Ginny were having about the captain of the Holyhead Harpies. “It’s about NEWT project,” she continued, looking up to find the three of them staring at her with bemused faces. “You know the project that each NEWT student has to submit at the end of the year? Honestly don’t any of you pay attention is class?”

“That’s what we have you for Hermione.” Harry said, giving her a small smile.

“He’s right, ‘Mione. Besides is only October. You can’t bloody well expect us to start thinking about topics now,” whined Ron.

“Well, no. We’ve, er…we’ve already found a topic,” Hermione offered quietly.

“You mean you’ve already found a topic for us?” asked Harry. The smile had left his face, replaced with a look of suspicion.

“Brilliant,” added Ron, clearly excited about the prospect of putting forth minimal effort.

“No,” Hermione said in a small voice.

She turned to look at Ron, every ounce of nervousness in her body causing a lump to form in her throat. She took a deep breath, met his now curious stare, and said out loud, “You know how I told you I was in the library this morning? Well, Malfoy was there. And he, well…he asked me if I wanted to do the project with him. He’s doing it on a particularly difficult branch of Transfiguration and he wants me to partner with him since, well, I assume because I’m top in the class.”

It took a minute for Ron to process her words.“And what exactly did you say to him when he asked you?” He finally demanded.

“I haven’t given him an answer yet. I told him I needed time to think it over...”

Ron’s face relaxed, making the obvious assumption that Hermione had completely blown off Malfoy.

“But…?” asked Harry, who was now the one staring at her with curious eyes.

“But… well, I was very confused about what I should do. That’s why I went to see Professor McGonagall. She seems to think it’s not a completely horrible idea. Malfoy’s already spoken to her about the project and I think-“

“What is there to think about, Hermione? Just go and refuse! Where does that ferret even come off asking you to partner with him? And why did you even talk to McGonagall about this? You’re not honestly considering this are you?” Ron demanded, his face reddening in anger.

“But the topic is worth considering, Ron! He’s studying Animagi, which even aside from its obvious complexity, is a fascinating subject that will open up a lot of opportunities. If I study this topic I could get expert guidance, access to books I’ve never even dreamed of getting my hands on, extra hours before curfew, and probably more. Even without all that, the knowledge I’d be able to gain is invaluable. You know I have a niche for Transfiguration and this project is a tremendous opportunity,” Hermione pleaded. She could see the fire in Ron’s eyes grow deeper with every word she spoke.

“Hermione this is Malfoy we’re talking about. Malfoy, the slimy git we’ve hated since first year. Or have you completely forgotten about that?” Ron shouted. Several Ravenclaw third years, who’d been lounging under a nearby tree, had stopped talking and were now staring at Ron and Hermione. Ron shot them an annoyed look and lowered his voice. “Besides, how do you know it’s even safe to work with him?”

“Ron, I really think he just wants to make the most of this project, and that’s why he asked me. And I think I’ve proved I can take care of myself by now. Enemy or not, Malfoy isn’t foolish enough to try to harm me when all of his allies are missing,” Hermione insisted.

Ron twisted his face in irritation, quickly running out of excuses. “Well, he’s still a Slytherin. And a snob. You’ll never be able to get along.”

“Professor McGonagall thinks we need to befriend the Slytherins. We need to push for unity between all houses now or the gap between us will never close. I would not agree with her to the extent of being friends but we should at the very least not be enemies any more. And the first step is being able to work together when needed.”

“Don’t you want to work with us?” Ron asked, gesturing to himself, Harry, and Ginny. “How can you just leave us, for something you deem so important, to work with Malfoy?”

“I always assumed I’d do the project with you Ron. But this particular topic is worth the consideration,” Hermione pleaded.

Hermione flinched when Ron opened his mouth to reply, but was surprised when he rounded on Harry and Ginny. “What about you two? This is completely mental right?”

Ginny’s face had turned red at the thought of interjecting into such a heated argument. She looked at Hermione, who had taken the break from Ron’s attention to wipe a tear from her cheek, and then turned back to her brother.

“This is Hermione’s decision,” she stated plainly.

“Harry?” pushed Ron.

Harry ran his hand through his hair absentmindedly as he thought of an answer.

“I think Hermione is right, mate. We shouldn’t hold her back from achieving what’s best for her. There’s no harm in trying to keep our prejudices aside for the time being. I’m not crazy about it, but if she’s going to do this, she’ll need our support.”

“You’re taking her side?” asked Ron, staring at his best friend in disbelief. He turned to Hermione. “Apparently my opinion doesn’t matter and you seem to have made your decision anyway. Have fun with Malfoy,” he spat as he turned to walk away.

“Ron…” Hermione pleaded as she made to grab his arm. He jerked it from her grasp and quickened his pace towards the castle.

“Ron! Ron, please listen to me!” she sobbed.

She felt Harry’s arm snake around her shoulders and Ginny whisper words of comfort to her, but she didn’t respond. She knew Ron was going to be upset but she hadn’t readied herself for such a strong reaction.

When Hermione had managed to stop crying they left her sitting on the front steps leading into the castle, insisting she was fine and merely needed some time alone.

Hermione pressed her fingers to her temple, mind consumed in thought. She could still change her mind if she wanted to, for Ron. It would surely put her mind at ease. But she couldn’t shake the thought that this was bigger than some argument between her and Ron.

“We always have a choice. And it’s our choices that decide who we really are.” She spoke softly to her self.

Harry had spoken these words to her and Ron the night Dumbledore died. Dumbledore would have given Malfoy a chance; he had given him a chance. He believed in second chances, and that with the right guidance people could change for the good. He believed in Snape when no one else would, why wouldn’t the same stand for Malfoy?

This thought, this small shimmer of the guidance left by Dumbledore, was the last bit of reassurance Hermione needed to decide her decision was the right one. With McGonagall’s permission, and tacit compliance from at least two of her friends, she knew that giving Malfoy a chance to prove himself was the right one.

What she did not know, however, was that every little bit she was counting on, the people in her life, the well manicured planes for her future, were all going to be turned upside down. This decision would change Hermione’s life…

--------------------------------

Draco was in hiding again. This recently found place of peace and solitude was the only source of comfort he had these days. The night had settled leaving a slight breeze rolling across the grounds, rustling the leaves and breaking the silence of the evening. He sat with his back resting against a boulder, staring upon the small town below him, silhouetted by the surrounding hills. The sky blended into the town; the small flickering lights of the windows meshing with stars in the sky, creating a sense of warmth.

He turned to stare into the fire he had lit with a few twigs and fallen branches, finding it difficult to resist the overwhelming depression he was in and the nagging voice telling him to give up. This arrogant, spoiled self laughed at him from the inside, jesting at his attempts to become a better person. The world is cruel, it said. And you are not to be trusted.

Draco frequently argued with this voice, insisting that there was always a way. But as the days passed, he continued to seek this place of solitude, his faith faltering with every friendless, lonely nightfall. He knew the prejudices against his family were deeply rooted. And now, when he so desperately wanted to change, they were pulling him down, destroying any progress he made.

As feeble of an attempt it may be, Draco knew that doing well on the NEWTs project could give him a fair chance at any profession he chose.

Assuming anyone would even offer you a position, nagged his alter ego.

Completing a project of this caliber would be a hit with future employers, he thought to himself. But If Granger refuses…I won’t be able to do this alone.

Draco had anticipated her refusal the instant he asked her to partner with him, and was short sighted when she told him she needed time to consider her options. It had given him hope, but now as he thought it through he was becoming more discouraged, doubtful that Hermione would truly consider working with a former Death Eater.

Even with the Mudblood’s help, you’ll fail Draco, insisted the voice.

Draco had weighed his options long before the term had even started. Though he tried to better himself, even in the slightest ways he failed. He would find a way. He had to find a way.

It’s not who you are. You’re not one of them. Not pure, not good, purred his alter ego. Give in, Draco. Embrace your name. Be a Malfoy.

Draco shook his head, attempting to drown out the voice that was forever tempting him. Bugger off, he thought to himself as he extinguished the fire and made his way back to the castle.
Chapter Endnotes: The project begins... Let me know what you think of the chapter... :)