Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Second chance: The Dragon and the Lioness by Vginny

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The project is about to start and the change in their life is about to begin... :)
Thanks to my lovely beta again :) viva :)
Disclaimer: The characters belong to amazing J.K Rowling.
The beginning:

Hermione awoke the next day, an air of misery as present as ever. At breakfast she tried to make small talk with Ron, but he simply pretended not to hear her and ate his toast at an alarmingly fast rate before getting up from the table without so much as a glance in her direction.

With a sigh Hermione gathered her bag, took one last sip of her pumpkin juice, and headed towards her first class of the day. The potions dungeons were always dreary, and a sense of foreboding settled into the pit of her stomach as she took her seat next to Harry. Ron, who typically joined them their table, had settled himself across the room with Dean and Seamus.

For the duration of the class she was torn between taking diligent notes, stealing glances at Ron, who was determinately not looking her direction, and thinking about the conversation she was hoping to have with Malfoy after class. She had decided the night before, after a grueling inner battle, that she would let Malfoy know of her consent to work with him after this morning’s potions class.

The hour passed quickly, and before she knew it the students around her were packing up their cauldrons and heading towards the door in the back of the room. Hermione motioned for Harry to go on without her and took her time putting the remains of her ingredients in the student store closet.

She spotted Malfoy making his way towards the door and quickly grabbed her bag.

–Malfoy!” she called after him, just as he rounded a corner.

Hermione quickened her pace and rounded the corner as well, only to find that he had stopped walking.

–Yes Granger?” he said after he had retracted a few steps to stand next to her. He did not look surprised, or even expectant, as if it were a common routine for them to chat in the corridors.

Hermione cleared her throat and spoke in what she hoped was a calm professional tone.

–Well, I’ve made my decision. I am willing to do the project with you,” she announced, noticing that the calm professional tone she had hoped for sounded more like she was conducting a courtroom.

Draco quirked an eyebrow in amusement.

–That took less time than I had anticipated. One day. I had expected you to take at least a week,” he laughed. –No matter. The sooner we get started the better. I suppose we should set up a time to meet. What is convenient for you?”

–A week? Why would I possibly take a week? Honestly Malfoy, just because I like to think things through doesn’t mean I can’t make a decision in a respectable amount of time. I mean, I too want to move on with this project quickly. I say we start tomorrow. An hour after our last class? Do you know where you’d like to study? I can’t see the library being a good idea, with all those people hanging around. Do you think we could use an empty classroom?” she blurted out in a single breath, blushing slightly from the break in her formal character.

Draco’s look of amusement deepened at Hermione’s enthusiasm.

–We will have to meet McGonagall today if we want to begin the project tomorrow. We can ask her if there are any good places to study without interruptions. We should probably ask her about our curfew as well.”

–Yes, smart plan,” Hermione stated, the stiffness in her voice returning. –Have you got a free period today?”

–Er, yes.”

Hermione looked at him expectantly. –Well, which one is it?”

”The second period after lunch.”

–Brilliant. Mine as well. Let’s say we meet up at the gargoyles five minutes after the first afternoon period, shall we? And don’t dawdle Malfoy, I won’t wait around for you.”

–Sounds like a plan,” said Draco through his smirk.

”Good.”

”Great.”

”Okay.”

”Alright.”

–So..”

”Granger?”

–Yes?”

”You’re going to be late for Charms.”

-----------------------------------------------------------------

–Hermione, listen to me. I know that you’re capable of taking care of yourself but- oh don’t look at me like that Hermione. I’m just trying to say that if he gives you any trouble to let me know. Alright?”

Harry had been pushing Hermione to tell him her entire conversation with Malfoy since the beginning of class. Unsatisfied with her brief explanation, he continued to badger her for details and eventually settled on simply reminding her of the dangers of working with Malfoy.

–Harry, I’ll be fine,” she replied lazily and she flicked her wand at the target across the room. Her thoughts were not at all focused on the Projection Charm that were supposed to be mastering, but instead on how surprisingly civilized her conversation with Malfoy had been.

Since when is Malfoy so easy to talk to? And why was he acting so nonchalant about the whole thing? I mean, I know we’re supposed to be working together but it’s not like we’ve reached any level of friendship in the past day. Maybe he jus-

–However,” Harry continued, breaking Hermione’s inner dialogue. –Even I can admit that there is a noticeable change in him. The thing that bothers me the most is that he could easily be putting on another act, you know?” Harry paused to take his aim at the target, successfully projecting the image of the Unicorn they were supposed to be replicating. –Whatever the case, I doubt Malfoy is thick enough to intentionally start trouble with the Head Girl,” he paused again to glance at Hermione, who was staring across the room. –Hermione, are you even listening to me? Hermione!?”

–What? No. I mean, yes, of course. Oh shoot!” Hermione exclaimed as she distractedly cast Confringo instead of the projection charm. A picture frame placed above the target burst into flames as its occupants leapt to neighboring pictures, yelling streams of curse words at Hermione. –Sorry! I’m sorry…” she yelled to Professor Flitwick as he put out the flames.

”Harry, Ron is still angry with me, isn’t he?” she asked suddenly, turning to face Harry.

Harry pushed his glasses further up his nose and looked at the pathetic look in Hermione’s eyes.

–Herms, you know him well enough to know that he takes time to get over things. Remember how long it took him to talk to me after the First Task in fourth year? Besides, this fight is not the worst you’ve had,” Harry stated, patting her softly on the hand.

Hermione sighed, –Yes. I suppose that’s true. I just…I miss him, Harry.”

–Don’t worry Herms, it will be over soon.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

After lunch Hermione sat through Ancient Runes, her mind torn between fretting over Ron’s absence in her life and her meeting with Malfoy next period.

When class was over Hermione made her way to the Headmistress’ office, arriving with a few minutes to spare. Five minutes later, and predictably not on time, Malfoy arrived waving a piece of parchment in front of her face.

–Before you comment on my punctuality Granger, please know that I was busy gathering some vital information about our project,” Draco said in a slow drawl. A smirk played across his mouth as Hermione pursed her lips, clearly upset that he had a viable excuse and even more upset at the lost opportunity to scold him.

–Fine,” she huffed. –Let’s go.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------

A little short of a hour later the pair made their way down the spiraling staircase and out into open corridor.

Hermione paused and turned to Malfoy. –Can you believe that they are actually considering allowing us to register at the end of term?”

Headmistress McGonagall, before giving them consent to begin their project had gone through various rules and laws that they would have to adhere to. In addition they would have to meet with her once a week and with a Ministry Official once a month. She had allotted them an empty classroom for practicing, and had extended their weekly curfew to eleven and their weekend curfew to midnight. Under proper supervision they would be permitted to visit the Ministry Library, and if needed, further assistance by the professor herself could be obtained. Lastly, and to Hermione’s surprise, the Headmistress told them that if they were to complete the project to the Ministry’s standards that they would be permitted to register as Animagi at the end of term.

–I mean, I knew that this was a high caliber project, but I honestly didn’t expect the Ministry to give us permission to complete the transformation. Of course we will be closely monitored, and their involvement will ensure that we are doing everything up to standard,” Hermione mused.

Draco continued to stare at her, his signature smirk playing at his lips.

”You knew, didn’t you?” Hermione asked. –You knew, and you didn’t tell me. That’s why you didn’t look at all surprised when McGonagall told us.”

–Yes Granger, I knew,” he stated. –Well, technically speaking, I didn’t know, I guessed. Good to know at least one of use is doing our research.”

Hermione blushed, looking down at the floor. Had she honestly just witnessed Malfoy bettering her on an academic level?

Draco laughed to himself at Hermione’s obviously disdain for being out smarted. –Come on, we’re going to be late for class.”

Much to the dismay of the seventh years, Griffindors and Slytherins had been assigned a double DADA lesson twice a week before dinner. Arriving in the nick of time, Hermione and Draco entered the classroom under the scrutinizing gaze of their peers.

Draco cleared his throat loudly and took his usual seat by Blaise, leaving Hermione alone by the door. She made her way to the table she shared with Harry and Ron to find Harry looking at her curiously and Ron determinedly looking towards the front of the room, his hard set mouth and furrowed brow a tell all expression that he had seen her and Malfoy walk in together.

I’ve got to end this argument, she thought to herself as she unpacked her things. I can’t go through this entire year knowing Ron is upset with me.

With that, Hermione made silent promise to herself to talk with him after dinner and opened her book to the chapter on Defensive Wards.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

–Ron?”

Ron looked up from his copy of Quidditch through the Ages to see who had called his name, his eyes meeting an anxious Hermione’s. He immediately turned his attention back to his book and slouched further down into his armchair.

–Ron, please look to me. We really need to talk about this. I don- I don’t want to fight anymore,” she pleaded. She looked around the common room to find a group of third years staring at them. –Can we get out of here and talk, please?”

Hermione made her way towards the portrait hole, not looking back to see if Ron had followed her. She waited by the top of the stairs until she heard the portrait swing shut, and turned to see Ron staring at her, his stony demeanor still in tact.

–Would you like to walk?” she asked quietly.

Ron nodded once and started down the stairs. When they had reached a lengthy corridor Hermione broke the silence.

–Ron, I’m sorry if I hurt you,” she murmured. –I- I missed you. A lot. I understand you’re angry with me, but I wish you would see my perspective on things. This really is a great opportunity for me. I found out today that I could get approved for Animagi registration.” Hermione paused to look up at Ron, who was staring at his feet. She slowed her walking and reached for his hand, relishing its familiar heat, and thankful he didn’t pull free from her grasp.

”Ron, this project will mean nothing to me if I don’t have your support. I can barely even concentrate on my normal studies as it is,” she paused again to find Ron looking down at her, his eyes softer. –Don’t you want to stop this arguing? Don’t you….don’t you miss me?”

–Merlin, Hermione. Of course I miss you,” Ron sighed. –I’ve missed you like mad. It’s not like I get off by us fighting al the time. I hate it. But you act as if my opinion doesn’t matter to you. You always do whatever you want Hermione, just like you did when you agreed to work with Malfoy.”

–That’s not true Ron. If your opinion didn’t matter do you think I’d be so upset about us fighting? You have to see that I’m not doing this in spite of you. I’m doing it because it’s a great opportunity. Professor McGonagall can see that. And I’m really good at Transfiguration. You know it’s always been my favorite subject.”

–Yes Hermione, I know. I just- I’m not ready to accept it. That’s all. You working with Malfoy is not something that should come natural. And I feel bad for acting like an ass, but I can’t help it. I just..” Ron paused as if trying to find the right words to express his frustrations, as a multitude of emotions ran over his face.

After a quiet moment he furrowed his brows and peered down at Hermione with guilty blue eyes.

–You think I’m acting like an arse, don’t you? Because I’m getting in the way of what’s best for you?”

–Oh, Ron,” Hermione sighed. –In all honesty, I would probably have reacted the same way if the situation were reversed.”

Ron shook his head lightly.

”No No, you would have encouraged me; pushed me to take the best path.”

–You give me too much credit Ron. I definitely would have been upset,” Hermione paused. –My reaction just would have been more tactful,” she added teasingly.

–Tactful,” barked Ron. –Like the time you sent birds flying at my head?”

The smile on Ron’s face reflected the elation Hermione felt as he reached for her other hand, and pulled her closer until their foreheads touched.

–I missed you so much,” Ron whispered, trailing kisses from her forehead to her neck, where her paused to nuzzle his nose in her hair.

He found his way back to her lips, offering a tentative but sweet kiss that left a burning sensation simmering in the pit of Hermione’s stomach.

All too soon they broke apart, breathes labored and lips slightly swollen, giving them both the appearance of having been thoroughly snogged.

Hermione lifter her eyes to meet Ron’s and offered him a delicate smile.

”I’ve missed you too.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ron and Hermione entered the common room hand in hand and out of breath, relieved to have narrowly avoided being caught by Filch and his shady cat. They collapsed on a loveseat by the fire, seated directly across from the couch where Ginny and Harry were perched, surrounded by homework, and staring at them in amusement.

Ginny, correctly assuming that had finally made up, smile knowingly at Hermione and then went back to reading her book. Harry raised his eyebrows in question at Ron, and received a small smirk in return.

Hermione curled up on the couch and leaned into Ron, realizing just how much she had missed this, even if it’s absence was only for a day.

–Oh rats!” Hermione exclaimed, jumping from her place on the couch. –I’ve got to get some work done in the library before curfew.”

And then before Ron had time to show any slight for of irritation, she pecked him on the cheek, offered her friends a quick goodbye, and sprinted from the common room.

She made short work of her trip to the library, and deciding it was best to start her research in the Transfiguration section, squeezed her way through the groups of students packing up for the night and settled herself between two looming shelves of books.

Hermione skimmed over the titles of the first row of books, desperate to find a stand out title that would lead her to the perfect information. Still happy from the night’s events, Hermione continued to smile to herself even when she found she was unhappy with her findings. Deciding to move on from the books in front of her, she rounded the corner to the next row, only to come face to face with Malfoy.

–You’re looking quite cheerful, Granger. Did the Weasel finally stop acting like barmy git over this whole thing?” he teased, pointing at himself and then at her.

Surprised he had even picked up on, or paid attention to what had been going on with her and Ron, Hermione shot him a disapproving look.

–Oh shove off, Malfoy,” she replied back, an even bigger smile returning to her face.

–No harm, no foul. I was just returning some books,” he said through his smirk. –By the by, if you want to read some material for our project, I’d start with this,” He added as he handed her a copy of Transfiguration: the Human Form that he had intended on returning. ”It gives a pretty thorough introduction to human Transfiguration.”

–I read that book in third year, Malfoy. Of course, it was just for a bit of light reading, so I suppose reading it over once more couldn’t hurt,” Hermione mused, as she followed Draco into another section, watching him return another book to it’s proper place. –What I was really looking forward to researching were the laws and regulations that pertain to becoming an Animagus, along with a straight forward step by step process that we could easily follow.”

Draco’s smirk widened as he handed her the last two books in his hands.

Hermione couldn’t help be impressed by the amount of research Malfoy had already done as she looked at the two books he had handed her. One read Laws & Logistics: Volume VI; Animagi. Hermione frowned; she’d been in every section of this library and had never found Ministry issued copies of their bylaws.

She quickly scanned the first page before turning her attention to the second, and quite a bit larger, book that Draco had handed her.

–A Guide to Becoming an Animagus by Delinda Montgomery,” she read, as she turned to Malfoy. –Have you already read this?” she asked disbelievingly.

–Relax Granger, I haven’t even opened it. I thought it would be a good place to start,” he replied coolly. –Besides, it wouldn’t help if only one of us has read the material. We should probably research the important things together.”

–Oh, well yes, I agree,” Hermione said, slightly taken aback. –I suppose tomorrow our first step should be taking some notes on the process and then creating an outline for ourselves.”

Draco could see a slight blush or embarrassment forming on Hermione’s cheeks. He could tell she was worked up over the fact that he had been so prepared, whereas she had not.

It’s kind of nice really, He thought to himself. Nice change of pace when Hermione Know-It-All Granger is slacking.

–No worries Granger, we’ll be on the same page tomorrow. Literally,” he smiled to himself as he turned to gather his books.

With that, Hermione gave him a quick nod and turned to leave the library. She could hear his footsteps behind her, as she made her way through the dark halls, absent of any other students. The happenings in the library, with him showing her up, still ran through her mind, and without notice she rounded on him, face red with irritation.

–Why have you been so calm and sincere, albeit a bit snarky, this whole week Malfoy? And why did you choose a branch of Transfiguration to do your project on? Isn’t your best subject potions?” she demanded, her annoyance turning her questions into accusations.

Even with her accusatory tone Draco could sense the curiosity that had been building up inside of her.

–Yes, Granger, my favorite subject is Potions. Unfortunately the only way to prove your worth in that field is to create a new potion, and that would take well over a year. Many have tried and failed, but for me failing simply isn’t an option. So I set my sights on something challenging yet obtainable,” he answered thoughtfully, carefully evading her first question. –Besides, there are several steps in this project that will require potion making.”

Hermione nodded. –Yes, I know that. But-–

–And,” Draco continued, cutting Hermione off. –The rest of the steps require aptitude in Transfiguration. So, I asked you. Who better to ask than the best witch in our year, eh?” he added with a hint of sarcasm, attempting to sound a bit like his old self.

He nodded in her direction and turned to head towards the dungeons, leaving Hermione blushing more than ever.

Best witch in our year? Did those words really just come out of his mouth? Hermione thought to herself as she watched him walk away.

Oh yes indeed, Draco Malfoy had changed.
Chapter Endnotes: The story and the chemistry slowly building... :) let me know whatever you think