Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Untold Story by StarkidSkyler

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Sirius probably shouldn’t be of age yet, seeing as it is their sixth year, but let’s just exercise some creative license and assume he’s a bit on the older side, shall we?

Enjoy, and tell me what you think!

Mary sighed contentedly. –It’s good to be back, isn’t it?” she remarked affectionately.

Lily grinned. –Definitely,” she agreed, looking around at the school she loved. Her departure from home had been tense; coming back to Hogwarts felt like returning to a safe haven where she did not have to worry about the troubles with her sister, because she was too far away to do anything about it. Petunia refused to communicate via owl, just as she refused to participate in anything even remotely related to magic.

–Look, there are the boys!” Mary said, waving across the Great Hall, where everyone had gathered for their welcome-back feast. Lily followed her line of sight to see James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter sitting together at the far end of the table. She followed her friend down the hall submissively, not arguing against going to see the very people she used to swear she would never be friends with.

–Hello, girls!” Sirius greeted them with a wink. Spirits were high; the boys were enjoying their reunion from their time apart over the holidays.

–So this guy was really mad, because Sirius was flirting with his girl, right?” James was in the middle of a story, grinning at Lily and Mary as he continued, –And then he winds back to let Sirius have it, but then his own fist gets him in the face!”

–I love being of age,” Sirius grinned as the other boys erupted with laughter. –You should have seen the look on this guy’s face, I’d have been a goner if he could have controlled his own arms.”

–Typical, your first time being of age outside of Hogwarts and you have some poor bloke beat himself up,” Remus chuckled, shaking his head in a mixture of disapproval and amusement.

Glasses tinkled softly from the staff table, but the sound carried throughout the Great Hall. The boisterous students reluctantly settled down into their respective seats and turned to see Dumbledore standing at his usual place, a warm smile visible beneath his long silver beard.

–I am pleased to welcome all of you back to Hogwarts, I trust the holidays treated you well.” Dumbledore paused as students murmured and giggled in response, and then he continued: –I hope you are all looking forward to another exciting term. I must announce, however, that all scheduled Hogsmeade trips are currently postponed for safety reasons. I think you will all find that there are many interesting things to do inside the castle grounds in the meantime. But for now, let us enjoy each other’s company as we share this delicious meal! Dig in!”

The Hogwarts students gradually returned to their level of noise and excitement as platters loaded with food appeared. Sirius and James lost no time ladling their plates with mounds of rich treats, but Remus picked at the food absentmindedly, his eyebrows pinching together to form a frown.

–Stop looking so worried, Moony,” James said, many of his consonants being lost through his mouthful of food. –I’m sure nothing is wrong.”

–If nothing was wrong, they wouldn’t have canceled Hogsmeade,” Lily pointed out.

Sirius shrugged. –They’re just being extra-careful, you know how Dumbledore is.”

Lily shook her head. –Hogsmeade is very well-protected. Dumbledore wouldn’t have stopped the trips unless there’s real danger.”

–Oh, don’t be so serious all the time, Lil,” James said, dismissing her comments with a wave of his hand.

Lily rolled her eyes at him from across the table. –At least I know how to be serious.”

–At least I know how to take a joke,” James returned with a wink.

Lily frowned at him. –I can take a joke, thank you very much.”

James laughed. –You wouldn’t know a joke if it bit you in the-”

–Lily,” Remus interrupted pointedly. –Don’t forget that we have prefect duties tonight.”

–Oh, shoot, that’s right,” Lily muttered, throwing a glance over her shoulder. –Thanks, Remus. I’ll be right back.” Lily stood up from the table. –And I can take a joke,” she murmured under her breath with a look at James before she took off swiftly in the direction of the Slytherin table.

–Pass the gravy, will you, Prongs?” Sirius nodded at the gravy on the other side of James. –Prongs? JAMES!”

–Ouch!” James yelled, rubbing his arm where Sirius punched him. –What?

–Would you quit watching Lily and her slimy boyfriend long enough to pass the damn gravy?”

James glared at Sirius as he handed him the gravy, intentionally letting some of the hot liquid spill over onto Sirius’ sleeve. Sirius rolled his eyes and wiped his sleeve on James’ robes.

–He’s not her boyfriend.” James seemed to have lost interest in his food, swirling his soup absentmindedly with his spoon. –He’s not, right?” James asked anxiously with a look at Mary.

Mary shrugged. –I don’t think so.”

–He’s just so... slimy. And... he doesn’t deserve her,” James muttered mostly to himself, swirling his soup so fast that it was sloshing out the sides.

Remus sighed. –James-”

–Shh, she’s coming back!” James took out his wand and magicked away the spilled soup. –Act cool.”

Sirius flashed his cocky grin. –I don’t have to act.” James rolled his eyes.

–It’s a good thing you reminded me, Remus, I would have forgotten,” Lily said, sitting back down at her place beside Mary.

–We were just saying that we should all go down to the kitchens sometime this weekend since Hogsmeade isn’t happening,” James said, his hand running through his tousled black hair.

–We were?” Sirius asked with mock innocence, warranting a death glare from James. –Oh yes, I remember.”

–Right, sure,” Lily said distractedly. –Dinner’s nearly through, I want to get my stuff put away before we have to patrol. Want to go get the password from Dumbledore with me, Remus?”

Remus nodded, rising from his seat, and the two prefects bid the others goodbye.












–It’s nearly ten,” Lily noted. –Why don’t we split up at the end of the corridor and make our last rounds before heading to the Common Room?”

–Sure,” Remus replied. The two prefects walked through the deserted hallways, a peaceful silence having settled throughout the usually noisy castle.

–So,” Lily began with a side glance at her fellow prefect. –So... Have you talked to Mary recently?”

Remus met her gaze, his eyebrows raised slightly. –Just at dinner. Why do you ask?”

Lily shrugged, knowing the implications of her question would not go unnoticed by the observant sixth-year at her side. –I don’t know... You two seem to get along well.”

Remus chuckled. –We do get along well.”

Lily grinned at him. –You know what I mean.”

–Do I?”

Lily nudged him playfully. –You should ask her out.”

Remus looked at Lily. She could never decipher his thoughts; his expressions were always so controlled. The two continued to walk in silence, enveloped in their own respective thoughts.

–Think about it,” Lily said when they reached the end of the corridor. –I think she’d like that.”

Remus smiled and bid her good night, turning down the opposite path to the Common Room.

Without Remus’ companionship, the dimly lit halls of the castle felt even more deserted and gloomy to Lily. She was all the way down on the first floor with seven more flights of stairs to ascend before she could finally retire to her bed. The only sounds she could here were the occasional soft snores coming from various portraits, whose occupants were fast asleep.

Lily, in her tired state, was not as alert as usual; she did not notice the faint footsteps until she turned a corner and nearly stumbled into their source.

–Oh!” She gasped, startled. –What- Lumos!”

Her wand tip lit up, illuminating the dark-haired Slytherin and his disgusted scowl.

–Avery,” Lily breathed.

–Get your wand out of my face.”

–No,” Lily said coolly. –What are you doing out of bed?”

–I don’t really feel the need to enlighten you regarding my nighttime activities,” Avery said in a bored tone, his dark eyes glinting with dislike.

–Don’t be smart with me. Ten points from Slytherin,” Lily said with a clenched jaw. –And another ten for being out of bed after hours.”

Avery’s eyes flashed. –I said to get your wand out of my face, Mudblood!”

Lily felt her wand fly out of her hand at Avery’s nonverbal command. He pocketed it smoothly.

–Give me my wand back, you insolent git!” Lily growled at Avery.

Avery said nothing, but his lips curled into a smirk.

– Dumbledore will hear about this,” Lily spat at Avery. –Now give it back!” Lily lunged for his pocket.

–Flipendo!”

Lily felt as if something slammed into her chest, knocking her against the wall where she fell to the ground. She gasped for breath, her head pounding where it had hit the wall.

–Incarcerous.”

Ropes materialized out of nowhere and bound themselves around Lily’s body. She struggled with what little energy she had, but without a wand, her efforts were fruitless.

–How dare you,” Avery’s low voice trembled through the small, dark corridor. –How dare you nearly get your filthy Mudblood hands on me.”

The tightly-bound ropes cut into Lily’s skin, making it so that she could barely catch her breath. The pounding in her head only grew louder, it seemed her entire body throbbed painfully.

–Listen to me, Mudblood.” Avery glowered at her. –You might think you’re safe with your precious Dumbledore looking out for you, but there are things that are much more powerful than that old coot. If you ever threaten me again... you will be sorry.” His eyes flashed dangerously. –Understand?”

Lily looked the floor, avoiding his gaze. Avery pursed his lips.

–Let’s see that the message sticks, shall we?” A wicked smile played on his thin lips. –Cruc-”

–Levicorpus!”

Avery shouted in surprised as his legs swept out from under him and he hung upside down in the air, his wand falling to the floor.

–Wha- Potter!”

James ignored Avery’s curses as he dashed forward to where Lily was slumped against the wall.

–Lily? Diffindo! Lily, are you alright?” James asked with concern as his spell cut the ropes binding Lily.

Lily’s eyes fluttered in relief when the ropes released their tight grip. She reached up a trembling hand to gingerly touch the back of her head where her hair was matted with blood.

–Y-yes, I’ll be... James, look out!”

–Crucio!”

The curse hit James in the chest as he turned to see where Lily was pointing. He was thown into the air with a yell as Avery, still upside down, pointed Lily’s wand at him.

–Stop!” Lily screamed as James writhed in pain on the floor. She spotted Avery’s wand still lying beneath where he was suspended. Just as Avery was landing on the floor, Lily summoned all her strength and threw herself onto the wand, colliding with Avery’s legs. He glared down at her, and opened his mouth to perform a curse-

–Petrificus Totalus!” Lily’s wand was still underneath her, but somehow the spell found its way to the Slytherin. Avery’s mouth snapped shut before the words were out of his mouth and his entire body went rigid, falling to the floor. Lily pulled her wand from his hand, pocketing both hers and Avery’s. Then she rushed over to where James lay on the floor.

–James?” Lily’s voice shook with concern as she pulled James’ limp form over and carefully placed his head in her lap. His eyebrows knitted together in pain and a groan escaped his lips as he stirred.

–Lily?” James squinted up at her. –Lily, are you okay?”

Lily smiled. –Of course I am, are you alright?”

Relief flooded James’ features. –Never better.”

Lily laughed softly, gently pushing his untidy black hair back from his forehead. –James... Thank you.”

James closed his eyes serenely and gave a small shrug. –It was no trouble.”

Lily grinned. –What were you doing down here, anyways?”

James shrugged again. –Oh, you know, just nicking some food from the kitchens.” He opened his eyes and gazed up at her. –And then I saw Remus and thought I might try to catch up with you.”

–Well, I’m glad you did.”

–Me too.”

The two sat in a comfortable silence for a moment, looking at Avery’s motionless body. Then Lily spoke.

–You know, we should probably get you to the Hospital Wing.”

James shook his head, lifting himself to an upright position. –I’m fine,” he said, though he seemed to be a little hesitant in his movements. –But we should get you looked at.”

Lily frowned, feeling the back of her head. –It’s not bleeding anymore, I’ll be alright.”

James shook his head firmly, standing up. –Come on, we’ll say you fell down the stairs or something.” He reached his hand down to help Lily up, who complied with a reluctant sigh.

–What should we do with this?” Lily looked down at Avery’s form with disgust.

James paused, then pulled Avery onto his shoulders. –Wait right here,” he said, then disappeared down the hallway.

–Where’d you put him?” Lily asked when James returned a few moments later.

–The girls’ lavatory,” he answered with a grin.

–Clever,” Lily laughed.

–Come on, let’s get you to Pomfrey,” James said. –Since I’m your rescuer and all, I could carry you there if you’d like.” He winked playfully at Lily.

–I can walk,” Lily said with a grin. –But thank you.”

–Anytime.”

–Really, James,” Lily paused to face James. –Thank you.”

James smiled, gazing into her eyes. –Anytime.”