Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Untold Story by StarkidSkyler

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Well, I bet you all thought I died, didn’t you? Nope! I just took a little break... okay, maybe a long break. But now I’m back and so are all the Marauders! This chapter is not as exciting as you all deserve after waiting so long, but it's a fun one! Tell me what you think, reviews help motivate me to keep up on my writing :)


Lily stirred in her bed, pushing her hair from her face to rub the sleep out of her eyes. Suddenly she sat up, disconcerted upon realizing the bed she was sleeping in was not her familiar four-poster. As she began to make sense of her surroundings, memory of the previous night flooded back to her. She was in one of the uniform white beds of the Hospital Wing, her head bandaged and a thick yellow potion on the bedstand next to her. The throbbing pain in her head had mostly subsided, leaving her slightly sore and fairly fuzzy but otherwise without pain.

–Oh good, I was just coming to wake you,” Madam Pomfrey said briskly, coming over to fuss with Lily’s bandages. –You have a concussion. I fixed you up and gave you something to keep your head from swelling. You’ll have a headache for a while, but you’ll be fine.” She handed Lily the flask of yellow liquid from her bedside and then bustled away.

With a sigh, Lily pinched her nose to block the foul smell of the potion and then gulped it down quickly. Then, the doors of the Hospital Wing opened with an obnoxiously loud bang, causing her to nearly choke on her potion in her startled state.

–Sleeping beauty has arisen!” Sirius’ wide grin was visible from across the room. He was accompanied by Mary, James, Remus, and Peter.

–How’re you feeling?” James asked, plopping himself on the foot of her bed.

–Never better,” Lily said with a grin. –What have you lot been up to?”

–Just came back from Potions,” Sirius said lightly. –James and I slipped some Veritaserum in Jackson Maverick’s Wit-Sharpening Potion, so when he tested it out he started babbling away.”

James grinned. –Did you know Jackson fancies Amelia Lacy?”

–It was a little awkward when he said that, seeing as Amelia is in our class,” Sirus chuckled.

Lily rolled her eyes. –Poor Jackson. That’s not funny.”

James shrugged. –Well, it’s not surprising that you don’t get it,” he winked at her.

–Oh, shut it. Just because I don’t think that humiliating other people is hilarious doesn’t mean I don’t have a sense of humor,” Lily protested indignantly. –I bet you wouldn’t like it so much if it were you getting humiliated.”

James laughed. –I’d like to see someone try.” He checked his watch. –Well, us four had best be off to Divination now. We’ll see you girls at dinner.” He gave Lily a pat on the leg and then followed the other three boys out of the Hospital Wing.

–I know that look,” Mary said with a bemused sigh. –What’re you thinking, Lily?”

Lily gave a sly smile. –I think it’s time James got a taste of his own medicine.”








–Well, that was a complete waste of an hour,” Sirius remarked as he, James, Peter, and Remus sat themselves by Lily and Mary at the Gryffindor Table. –You’re lucky you guys dropped that class.”

–Peter thought he saw a troll in his crystal ball, but it just turned out to be his reflection,” James said with a laugh.

–It was blurry,” Peter squeaked sheepishly.

–How’s your head?” Remus asked Lily.

–Much better,” Lily said. Her bandages had been removed and the wound hidden beneath her hair, leaving no visible signs of damage.

–So, Lily,” Sirius helped himself to the platters of food laid out on the table. –James made himself out to be something of a hero when he was telling us what happened last night. What really happened?” He ducked as James chucked a roll across the table.

Lily laughed. –Surprisingly enough, that is what really happened.”

–Thank you,” James said proudly, throwing Sirius a triumphant look. Sirius rolled his eyes.

–So Avery really used an Unforgivable Curse?” Remus asked with his eyebrows furrowed. –Has anyone told Dumbledore this?”

James shook his head. –I wonder how he explained why he was in the girls’ lavatory, though. I heard that you could hear Maraid Whitney’s scream two floors away.”

There was a collective chuckle at the thought of Avery getting discovered in the girls’ bathroom, but Remus remained serious.

–Dumbledore should be told,” he said firmly. –This wasn’t just some underaged kids shooting hexes in a late night duel. Avery is dangerous.”

Lily shuddered as she recalled the fear which had gripped her as she had awaited Avery’s curse, defenseless and vulnerable. –I agree. James and I can go tell him later today.” She lifted her eyes to meet James’ and gave him a small smile.

–Lily?”

Lily did not need to look behind her to know who was addressing her, the drastic change of expression on James’ face told her everything. She saw him exchange a dark glance with Sirius before she turned around to face her Slytherin friend.

–Hey, Severus,” Lily greeted him.

Severus shifted his weight nervously, obviously far out of his comfort zone. –I heard what happened... I just wanted to make sure you were all right,” he said, speaking as quietly as possible.

James snorted, but Lily let it go. –I’m fine, Sev.”

Severus’ desperate gaze searched Lily’s eyes. –Lily.. I... I didn’t know...”

–Yeah, well maybe you should-” James started up, but was silenced by a sharp kick to the shin from Lily. He glared at Severus as he rubbed his leg, but said nothing.

–I know, Severus.” Lily sighed, rubbing her temple, which had begun to throb again. –Maybe you should go. We can talk later.” Sirius seemed on the verge of some nasty retort, and James most likely did not need much motivation to continue his previous thought.

Severus nodded. –I’ll talk to you later, Lily.”

Sirius seemed to be growling as he watched the Slytherin shuffle down the Hall. James was more concerned with examining he shin bone, but he muttered, –You should’ve let me deal with him.”

Lily sighed again. –He doesn’t need dealing with, James, really. But I don’t want to talk about it, I have a headache.”

James’ head shot up. –Are you all right?” He asked, all the disdain wiped out of his voice and replaced with concern.

Lily just rolled her eyes. –Yes, Mum, stop worrying. Oh look, there’s the mail.”

–Fantastic, I hope your mum sent something good,” Sirius said brightly, searching the peck of owls flying into the Hall.

–Here comes Gerald now.” James stacked his plates to clear a spot for his owl to land. –What’s he got?”

The snowy owl fluttered to a stop in a blur of white feathers, landing in front of James. He dropped a dark red envelope on James’ plate and helped himself to some of the leftovers.

–Is that...?” The corners of Remus’ mouth twitched slightly as he surveyed the envelope in front of James.

–Uh oh, what has the naughty boy gotten into this time?” Sirius said mockingly, shaking his finger at James, who had yet to pick up the slightly smoking envelope on his plate.

–Well, I guess we’ll find out.” James laughed, but picked up the envelope gingerly and held it as far away as possible while he slowly opened it.

–JAMES POTTER!” Every student around the table jumped as a woman’s voice issued from the envelope, the shouts echoing through the Hall. People from other tables turned their heads to see the source of the noise. –I HAVE TOLD YOU ONE TOO MANY TIMES TO STOP STEALING MY CLOTHES! I DON’T CARE IF YOU PREFER WITCHES' UNDERWEAR, SEND BACK MY UNDERGARMENTS IMMEDIATELY!”

The entire student body erupted into laughter, while James sat there with a look of complete bewilderment on his face. Sirius was doubled over, howling, and even Remus was wiping tears of laughter from his eyes.

–I don’t wear her underwear!” James called desperately to whoever would hear. –I don’t know what she’s talking about!”

–Come on, mate,” Sirius said with a grin after a few minutes, once the laughter had mostly subsided. –Just send your mum her underwear back.” James punched him in the arm.

–I don’t understand...” James held the remains of the Howler, his confusion evident. –Is Mum playing a joke?”

–She must have,” Lily responded seriously . –It would be impossible for anyone to imitate her voice and send the Howler to you.” Her face seemed void of expression, but there was a telling smile in her eyes.

James stared blankly at her, his brows furrowed. –Impossible to... what?” His eyes widened. –Wait... you!”

Lily burst out laughing. –You should have seen your face!”

–You... I can’t believe you!” James exclaimed, but a smile was creeping on his lips. Sirius actually rose from his seat to shake her hand from across the table.

Lily shrugged. –It was pretty hard, lacking of sense of humor and all,” she said with a grin.

James shook his head. –All right, I take it back... That was a good one.”

–Good one? That was brilliant!” Sirius clapped James on the back. –She got you good, mate. Why haven’t we ever thought of Howlers?”

James rolled his eyes, but he was grinning.

–How’s it feel to be on the receiving end?” Lily asked with a wink.

–I’ll never hear the end of this one,” James said, shaking his head.

–C’mon, mates!” said Sirius, standing up. –Let’s go celebrate Lily’s new found sense of humor with some dessert from the kitchens.”

–Sounds good to me,” James responded, eager to leave. Remus, Peter, Mary and Lily followed the two boys out the doors of the Great Hall.