Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Crimson and Clover by Envy_I_May_Be

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

*Disclaimer: Luckily for you lovely ladies and gents, I am not J.K. Rowling, because if I were, well... the books wouldn't be half as amazing. So, I own nothing whatsoever.*
Chapter Notes: I know this chapter is a bit on the short side, but it'll pick up. :)
Getting off the train, I looked around me, taking in the flood of other students with my sharp new eyes. I was still taken by surprise by the clarity of my vision ever since I was bitten all those months ago. Some things had been easy to adjust to; the loping grace and poise of my body and reflexes, the speed of my mind, and my new way of thinking, but other things were not as easy. For instance, my vision still startled me, as did my hearing. Then, there was the unnatural speed and strength. My reflexes were a little different too, although it hadn’t taken me long to get adjusted to that. My senses were heightened, and it was as exhilarating as it was frightening.

I joined the throng of other students making their way towards the carriages, and the proximity was frightening; all I saw were pulses gently throbbing in pale, exposed throats; all I could hear was the beating of hearts and the rushing of blood through veins; and all I could smell was blood everywhere. It was like a feast had been laid before a starving man. My mouth watered, my fangs aching and threatening to elongate, and my instincts were fighting to control and take over so that I could rip, tear, and toss aside flesh to expose the crimson gold beneath it… I shook my head to clear myself of those thoughts.

I climbed into a carriage by myself, hoping not to attract too much attention and be able to slip into the castle unnoticed.

Everyone at school but the first years knew about my ‘condition’. A curse would be the more accurate way to describe it. I knew that everyone would shy away from me, but I didn’t care too much. I had always kept to myself, anyway. I just hoped that it wouldn’t get in the way of me being able to continue with school. I had to repeat my sixth year, because I had barely been in the beginning when I was bitten. The only bad part about it was that the few friends I had would be in seventh year this year, taking their N.E.W.T's and hanging out with kids in their own year, so I probably wouldn’t be able to see them much, if they even wanted anything to do with me anymore. It sucked* that I probably wouldn’t be able to talk to the only friends I had, but there was nothing I could do about it. No one here could possibly understand what I was going through, and if I knew any better, and I was sure I did, then they wouldn’t even try.

Things were going to be very tricky this year.

…

…



Once all of my fellow Ravenclaws were settled around me at our table, they took notice of me and shied away, giving me space to myself. That was just as well; the smell of their blood was almost too much, and I didn’t want to be tempted.

In fact, the smell of everyone’s blood was too much, and I was beginning to doubt my decision to return. Dumbledore had praised me for my decision, and told me that I was brave, and a good example for the rest of my ‘kind’. I wasn’t sure that I believed him. I had expected people to stay away from me and all that, and I had expected to have to curb my instincts and cravings a lot, but now that it was actually happening, I wasn’t sure what to do with myself. I was beginning to doubt that I could handle it properly.

I gripped the table so hard my already pale knuckles turned paler still, and when I removed my hand from the edge of the table, there was a dent in the shape of my fingers left in the wood. I swallowed, flexing my hand, and looked away, trying to pay attention to all of the first years being Sorted into their Houses. I barely even paid any attention to Dumbledore, who I normally would’ve given all of my focus.

I ate some food, although not very much; nothing tasted right anymore. The only thing that would satisfy me for the rest of my life was blood. It was a hard truth, but I had to learn to accept it, or I would never be able to move on with my life.

Once dinner was finished, I made my way to Ravenclaw Tower, answered the question, and trudged into the sixth-year dormitory, which now had one more bed than usual. I changed into my pajamas and climbed into bed, drawing the curtains around me and enclosing myself in darkness, all the while muffling the whispers coming from outside my little shelter. I knew they were all talking about me, but I didn’t know how much I cared.

Even though the sound of their whispers would’ve been drowned out for a human, I heard every word they said. They seemed to have forgotten that vampires have excellent hearing.

–I can’t believe she actually came back,” Sophia Bloom said quietly. I heard the rustle of fabric sliding across her skin, and knew that she and the other girls were changing out of their robes and into their pajamas.

–I know, right?” Morag McDougal replied. –I know I wouldn’t want to come back. And anyway, how could Dumbledore trust her? She’s a vampire; what if she kills us in our sleep and drinks our blood? I know I won’t be getting much sleep this year."

–I think it’s very brave of her.” Sylvia Hearting said quietly from her bed. –No one else would’ve tried to come back, I don’t think. I think she’s brave, and she deserves a little more credit.”

The other girls scoffed. –Give me a break Sylvia,” Morag said. –She’s dangerous.”

Sylvia sighed, and the conversation came to an end. I couldn’t sleep, and I knew the other girls weren’t, either. Their breathing was nowhere near even and deep enough, and their hearts were beating a little faster than normal. I could hear the rustle of sheets and blankets sliding across each other and smell the small sparks of electricity that came with it and the sweat clinging to Morag. They were all nervous; all of them except Sylvia, who was breathing deeply and evenly, sound asleep.

I curled up into a ball, tried not to think too much, and eventually, sleep claimed me, pulling me into the dark, mysterious void of my dreams where I was normal and safe for once.

…

…



The next morning, I was returned to the thrill of learning, as classes had begun. I could actually enjoy this part of coming back to school. I was a Ravenclaw, after all; I enjoyed the experience of learning.

My initial fears of people ignoring me began to fade as the days wore on; I had decided that I didn’t care. I wasn’t going to put too much worry into it anymore. I had always been more of a solitary being, anyway, so I guess there wasn’t much difference, other than the fact that other people were ignoring me instead of the other way around, like it had been before. However, as I went through my daily routine, I found that I was missing my friends. They were all in different classes and such now, so I hardly ever got to see them for the homework load and studying for exams.

Of course, the bliss that came with ignorance didn’t last very long.

One morning, when we were in Divination, Professor Trelawney was sweeping about the room, her beads clacking together slightly and her shawls billowing and rustling about, inspecting everyone’s work with the crystal balls through her largely magnified eyes. I watched her quietly from my seat alone in the corner, not saying a word, and just listening to the soft chatter around me as people held their whispered conversations.

I was mainly trying to focus on not gagging, because the smell of incense that had been overpowering before was now choking to my sensitive nose. It was like I was eating the stuff; I had to use all of my willpower not to cough and sputter and gag throughout the whole class. I decided that later on, I would go and see about getting out of this class. I didn’t even know why I had bothered to take it; the subject had never been of particular interest to me.

Of course, she spotted me, and turned her large gaze on me. Everyone eventually noticed as she started towards me, and they all watched in silence, wondering what she was going to say. We all thought she was a right fraud and a joke, but we were always highly interested when she tried to make predictions, just to see what nonsense she would try to sell us.

–I see that you have a very dark future ahead of you,” she said in her dreamy, slightly haunting voice. –There shall be blood spilt, and dark omens point to your destruction.”

I rolled my eyes. –Yes, I’m sure that we’re all going to die a horrible, agonizing death sometime in the near future. I already know the story.”

Everyone flinched at the sound of my voice; it was slightly sharper than it used to be, and no one had heard a word out of me since term started. It was interesting to listen to their pulses quicken, see them clench their hands under the table, or swallow nervously, the scent of sudden sweat filling my nostrils along with the choking scent of the classroom.

She just looked at me, shaking her head. –You do not understand, child. There is darkness around you; your aura shows of it.”

–I wonder why,” I said in biting tones. –I’m a vampire. That might have something to do with it. Or maybe it’s just this freaking classroom; I can’t even breathe properly.” I stood just as the bell rang, signaling the end of class. –Good day, Professor.”

And with that, I left the classroom, leaving a stunned silence behind me.
Chapter Endnotes: Many thanks to my fantabulous beta iwannabeanauror, who helped me with the niches and glitches. *Throws magic sparkly thank you dust*
Also, reviews are greatly appreciated! Loved it? Hated it? Think Vivian should jump off a cliff? Lay it on me!