Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Miracle For Christmas by Hypatia

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Once again, thank you to Sapphire At Dawn, TheCursedQuill, and iwannabeanauror!



He found her on Sirius’s porch, staring out at the snow, her lower lip trembling.

–Lily, I’m sorry. Is… is there anything I can do?” Remus asked, feeling incredibly awkward. She only shook her head in reply, her long red hair swishing from side to side.

Unsure what to do next, Remus walked over next to Lily and gazed out upon Sirius’s lawn with her. Snow was gently falling about them; however, there were enough openings in the clouds to reveal a few twinkling stars.

After nearly a minute, Lily said in a muffled voice. –I’m sorry, Remus. I must look such a fool, crying over a simple question.”

–No one thinks you’re being foolish,” Remus reassured her. –These past few months have been a strain on everyone.”

–Can I tell you a secret?” Lily asked, having regained some of her composure.

–Of course you can,” Remus replied.

Lily looked at him shrewdly. –You can’t tell the three stooges in there. Do you still promise to keep my secret?”

Remus wasn’t used to keeping secrets from his friends. Nevertheless, if Lily needed a confidant, he was willing to keep whatever her secret was from the other three Marauders. He’d suspected for some time that Lily was aware of a bigger secret of his than who he fancied. Whether she actually knew was more than Remus had been able to determine; she’d never so much as mentioned the subject of lycanthropy to him and he wasn’t about to bring it up. Remus then realized that Lily was still waiting for his answer and told her quietly, –I promise.”

Lily sighed and pulled a pendant out from underneath her robes. –This is my most favourite Christmas present.”

Remus examined the necklace with care; it appeared to be a small glowing deer inside a tiny Christmas ornament.

–It’s my Patronus,” Lily informed him. –I know it’s not a real Patronus; but that’s what I was told it was when I got it. I was only nine and back then I was terrified at the thought of Dementors.”

–And the Sorting Hat still put you in Gryffindor,” Remus teased. –So you’ve obviously got over it.”

–Because of this,” Lily replied, protectively hanging onto her little charm. –I probably wouldn’t have been brave enough to get into Gryffindor without it.”

–I suspect you would have made the cut anyway,” Remus told her kindly. –You’re probably one of the bravest people I know.”

Lily blushed at the compliment. –I suppose what I meant is, I’ve always felt that this necklace is the source of whatever courage I have. When I’m about to do something that scares me, I always think of it. I’ve actually worn this every day for… well, I guess for eight years now.”

Remus almost asked who had given her the necklace, but then he realized that if Lily had received it before she had arrived at Hogwarts, there was only one possibility. He had to admit that it was a side of Severus Snape that he wouldn’t have previously believed existed. For the first time, he wondered if Lily missed her childhood friend, though he still found it hard to believe that anyone could actually miss having Snape around.

Lily broke the silence. –Have you managed the Patronus Charm yet?”

Remus shook his head. –I haven’t even tried it yet. It won’t come up until the end of the year. Have you?”

–I can’t seem to get it,” Lily replied. She sighed, gazing out into the snowy woods. –I know this doesn’t make any sense, but this year… I wanted a real Patronus for Christmas, but I don’t seem to be able to manage the happy thought.”

–I’m sorry,” Remus told her, wishing there was something he could do.

–Thanks,” Lily replied, smiling slightly. –Is it silly to wish for my own little Christmas miracle?”

–Not at all.” Something suddenly clicked in Remus’s mind. –Lily, what do you think your Patronus would look like?”

Lily held up her necklace again. –I’ve always thought it would look just like this, only bigger. I know it’s just a shrunken Christmas ornament… but I will actually be quite disappointed if my Patronus doesn’t turn out to be a deer.”

–Well, you never know,” Remus replied. –But I’ve been told that Christmas is a time for miracles…” He pretended to consult his watch. –I really ought to get back inside.”

Lily glanced back through the frosty window. –I’ll be back in a bit. I just want to be alone for a little while.”

Remus looked her directly in the eyes, –Just promise me that you won’t leave without saying goodbye first. All right, Evans?”

Lily smiled and nodded in reply before heading out for a walk. There was a crescent moon hanging low in the night sky, causing the snow to sparkle and leaving Lily’s path relatively well lit. She was still upset with herself for having lost her self control in front of everyone. She’d promised herself that she would be strong. Lily closed her eyes, just feeling the snowflakes land in her hair and on her face.

When she opened her eyes again, she gasped in awe. Not ten feet from where she stood was a deer, staring at her. Not wanting to frighten the animal, Lily didn’t move. After nearly a minute, to Lily’s surprise the deer took a cautious step towards her.

On impulse, Lily slowly held out her hand. The stag continued towards her, stopping just short of her outstretched palm. Thinking that she must be dreaming, Lily put her hand on his nose. The stag snorted lightly, his breath visible in the chilly air.

Lily continued to pat the stag’s head, staring straight into his hazel eyes. She couldn’t help but find something oddly familiar about the deer. It wasn’t until she started to pat the stag’s neck that she suddenly stepped back.

With an utterly bemused look on her face, she gingerly touched one of the velvet covered antlers. For a moment she bit her lip, but then she guessed, –Prongs?”

A moment later James Potter was standing before her, looking rather embarrassed. –How did you know?” he asked, while adjusting his glasses and fully expecting to be slapped or cursed.

Lily laughed. –I wish I could say that it was your eyes… but it was actually that bald spot at the back of your head.”

–So… you aren’t mad?” James asked, still wondering if he ought to be ready with a Shield Charm.

Lily shook her head, still unable to stop smiling.

–Well, I guess you know my big secret now,” James told her, nervously playing with his hair.

–Only because Lupin told you mine, which I really ought to be cross with him about,” Lily replied. She frowned slightly, looking off in the direction of the house as if expecting Remus to pop out from behind a nearby bush and apologize.

–Whatever that secret was, I don’t know it,” James told her. –He just grabbed me and told me to find you in the woods… as an Animagus.” It still felt strange to him that she knew his other form.

Her eyes sparkling, Lily replied, –I guess I ought to make it fair and tell you one of my secrets then.”

She motioned for James to lean in closer. To his surprise, instead of whispering something in his ear, he found Lily’s lips on his. After they broke apart, he asked her huskily, –So… I think you still have to tell me a secret.”

–Fine,” Lily answered cheekily. She then informed him in an exaggerated whisper, –I just kissed James Potter.”

James put an arm around her shoulders, his heart beating faster when she snuggled in against him. –Lily Evans, I’m afraid that won’t be a secret for long, as I plan on telling anyone who’ll listen.”

Lily rolled her eyes and laughed. –I suppose there’s no point in trying to stop you… but there’s something I want to try before we go back to the house.”

James was still grinning ear to ear as he cocked his head and asked, –Oh? What might that be?”

Back in Sirius’s house, the other three Marauders were gazing out the window, ignoring the party that continued on around them.

–Do you think the plan worked?” Peter asked.

Upon seeing two silver Patronuses bounding, side by side, about Sirius’s yard, Remus replied, –I expect so.”

–I told you I’d get those two together,” Sirius reminded them. –And all it took was…”

Remus interrupted him, –A small miracle.”


Chapter Endnotes: Well, that’s it folks! Despite all odds, James and Lily did end up together. Thank you for reading all the way to the end!

Also, for anyone curious about Lily’s necklace, feel free to check out When Darkness Meets Light: another Christmas story (centered on Lily and Severus when they’re nine.)