Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wolfsbane by Shiloh_Tovah

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes:
Canon passages (mostly having to do with plot) can be found in the 4th book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, chapters 12 ("The Triwizard Tournament") and 13 ("Mad-Eye Moody"), and are copyrighted to the brilliant J.K. Rowling. No infringement is intended.
Serena Wolfsbane, Katrina Rowan, and Tyler Wolfsbane are original characters and are copyrighted to me -- the author acting under the pen-name of Shiloh_Tovah -- and my co-author, who has no account on this site and wishes to remain anonymous on the internet until the time of her choosing.
--1--

"I would like to introduce to you your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Serena Wolfsbane!"

Every head in the Great Hall was turned to face the main doors, through which now strode a young-looking witch. She was rather tall, slim, and pale with long, dark brown hair that swayed in time with the hem of her robes as she walked. Her head was held high and she wore a confident expression, as if she expected no less than to have every eye in the room on her. And so it was: everyone watched as she made her way towards the staff table, including a certain stern-looking, greasy-haired wizard.

Professor Severus Snape had never felt more off his guard than he did when Serena Wolfsbane entered the Hall. In fact, she had nearly passed the House tables before Snape was able to completely regain his air of indifference. He was careful not to make eye contact with Serena as she sat in the empty seat next to him. As she did so, Professor Dumbledore announced the commencement of the feast, and extravagant food promptly appeared on the tables and everyone dug in.

Eventually conversation arose, and Professor Sinistra leaned forward a bit and greeted Serena. Snape sat as far back in his chair as possible so as to avoid the conversation.

"So tell me," said Sinistra after exchanging pleasantries. "How is your uncle, Moody, faring? I was under the impression that he was to be teaching here this year, but then I read in the Prophet about that incident with the dustbins...?"

Serena shook her head and sighed. "Yes, it was unfortunate, really. He always was a bit paranoid, you know, but with good reason, and everybody who knew him knew that. The wizards from the Improper Use of Magic office weren't so like-minded, though. Lucky for Alastor that Arthur Weasley showed up when he did. Managed to get the old boy off on a brief probation. It was agreed that he shouldn't start teaching right away, so Dumbledore sent me an owl and asked me to fill in."

"Oh, but of course he did; I can't think of anyone else better qualified!" Sinistra smiled, ignoring Snape's barely-audible indignant scoff. "You've been an active Auror for what, fifteen years now? And I've heard you're one of the best the Ministry's got."

"Sixteen years," Serena corrected her, trying not to look too pleased with herself. "And thank you, you're too kind." Severus rolled his eyes, but if either witch noticed, they ignored him. Sinistra smiled once more before turning around toward Professor Sprout (who had just asked her opinion on the importance of moon phases when growing nightshade) which left Snape and Serena's end of the staff table in relative silence.

Serena had just opened her mouth to say something to Severus, who was still avoiding her eye, when Dumbledore stood again, signaling the end of the feast and the beginning of the usual announcements. Everyone gave him their undivided attention, including Serena, causing Severus to breathe a miniscule sigh of relief. Even simply being under her gaze set his nerves on edge, proof that some things never change...

Dumbledore explained about the Triwizard Tournament that was to take place at the school this year, the news of which had everyone chattering excitedly. Serena remained turned away from Severus, for which he was grateful. The last thing he wanted to do was talk to her, especially since he was quite certain of the one thing she'd want to talk about.

Suddenly, the Great Hall erupted into clamour as Dumbledore dismissed the students to their dormitories. Serena turned around to face Snape, but he had already left his seat and was halfway down the Hall, desperate to put as much distance between them as quickly as possible.

***********


Serena stood up from her classroom desk to address her students. It had been a long first day, but she had finally made it to the last group of the afternoon.

"Right then," she said. "I am Professor Wolfsbane, and you all are the Gryffindor and Slytherin sixth-years, correct?"

A red-headed boy in the front row leaned forward. "That's right," he said. "And might I just say that I am greatly looking forward to this class. It just so happens to be one of my personal favorites." The boy's clone sitting beside him laughed at his sarcastic tone. Serena's eyes narrowed as she looked down at them.

"Well, you two are obviously the infamous Weasley twins," she said, equally as sarcastic. "Fantastic. Such a lovely bunch."

"Not as lovely as you, miss," the second twin said with a wink as the other students laughed.
Serena rolled her eyes. "Simply pathetic... Ten points from Gryffindor for your cheekiness." The twins opened their mouths to protest, but Serena held up a hand to silence them.

"Now then," she said sternly, determined not to be interrupted again. "I have a letter here from Professor Lupin, and he says you lot are right on schedule as far as the curriculum is concerned. And I see he was rather impressed by your O.W.L. scores as well, which is good news." She placed the piece of parchment back on her desk and took a deep breath.

–Today I want to begin a discussion on something that isn’t quite as deliberated upon in standard curriculum. This is because the Ministry would prefer that we didn’t teach it at all. However, I do not always agree with the Ministry. I am of the belief that this is valuable information and should not be hidden from students, especially those of your age.”

One of the twins leaned towards the other and whispered loudly, –A little rebellious, isn’t she? I like her even better!”

Serena ignored them and continued. –The three Unforgivable Curses. Can anyone name one for me?” Both Weasleys immediately raised their hands, and Serena rolled her eyes. –Anyone who hasn’t already made themselves look like blithering idiots. Yes, on the left. Angelina Johnson, is it?”

The Gryffindor girl nodded. –Yes, Professor. The most obvious would be the Killing Curse.”

–Yes, it would,” said Serena. –It’s a very powerful curse and only one person in history has survived it, and I’m sure all of you know him by now. Another curse? ” A Slytherin boy towards the back raised his hand.

–The Imperius Curse.”

–Can you explain what this curse is used for?”

–It gives you complete control over a person,” the boy said with a grin.

–Precisely. Five points for Slytherin.” The Gryffindors groaned. The Weasley twins still had their hands high in the air.

Serena frowned slightly. –Alright then, Mr. Weasley?”

–Yes, miss,” grinned the first twin. –But you can call me Fred.”

Serena sighed. –Well, since this is your favorite subject, give us the last curse.”

–With pleasure,” said Fred with another wink. –The Cruciatus Curse. The victim undergoes excruciating pain for as long as the curse is held.” He smiled brightly. –I heard it’s like your entire body is burning as though your flesh is on fire… kind of like the way my heart feels whenever you walk into the room, Professor.”

Serena had enough of his foolishness. She raised an eyebrow and smirked. –’Like the way your heart feels when I enter the room?’ Who would’ve guessed you could be so delightfully charming. Not to mention brilliant…” her tone, dripping with sarcasm, matched her playful expression as she walked slowly to his desk.

–Ah, well I’ve got nothing on you, Professor…Obviously.”

–And so witty as well! You must have the girls crawling all over you.” The other students had started to snicker at Serena and Fred’s banter. –I certainly wouldn’t blame them, though,” she continued. –Who wouldn’t absolutely love being compared to the Cruciatus Curse? I’m sure any girl would want to feel as if her skin was on fire just from standing in the same room as you.”

Her voice suddenly took a more sinister tone. –I wonder if that’s how my brother felt when he stood in the same room as You-Know-Who. I wonder if he enjoyed feeling like his entire body was on fire; like he was being turned inside out, as the Death Eaters tortured him to death with that very curse.”

The room was now deathly silent. Serena stood inches from Fred’s face and spoke through clenched teeth. –None of the three Curses -- especially that curse -- will be taken lightly in this classroom. Do I make myself clear, Mr. Weasley?”

–Exceptionally,” breathed the wide-eyed redhead.

Serena whirled around and bellowed, –Twenty points from Gryffindor, and you, Mr. Weasley, will be serving a week’s detention starting tonight. Seven o’clock, in my office!”

The rest of class was silent as they wrote an essay on the effects of the three Unforgivable Curses. Serena wrote pages upon pages of class lectures in order to keep her mind off her brother, Tyler.


That night, the unfortunate Weasley showed up at Serena’s office door looking grim. She glanced up at him briefly before drawing up an extra desk with her wand, in which the boy sat.

–Mr. Weasley,” said Serena. –It’s time you learned your place and some respect for your professors. You will spend this week in detention learning how to do that.” A quill and a roll of parchment appeared on the desk. –Tonight, you will write me an essay explaining both how your actions were an example of disrespect and how one should properly behave in a classroom setting.”

–Yes, miss,” he said solemnly, and began writing.

The next two hours passed in complete silence, for which Serena was grateful. She didn’t think she could stand anymore chattering students for today. A little past nine, Weasley stood and handed Serena his parchment.

–I… er,” he said. –I had also wanted to apologize directly for the way I acted this afternoon.” Serena raised an eyebrow, intrigued. He continued, –My actions were rude and immature. I’m also sorry for offending you… That was certainly not my intention.”

His apology seemed quite sincere. Serena’s heart softened ever so slightly and she nodded. –Thank you. You may go now.”

He turned and started towards the door.

–Oh,” said Serena, as if she’d forgotten something. –Oh, and, George?”

George Weasley turned in spite of himself. Serena couldn’t help smirking. –Do tell Fred that I wish for he himself to attend the rest of this week’s detentions? I’m afraid a proxy just won’t do.”

–Of course, miss.” George grinned, clearly impressed, and left the room.
Chapter Endnotes:
First chapter! Y'all enjoy. Reviews are very much appreciated.
--Shiloh