Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wolfsbane by Shiloh_Tovah

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Canon passages (mostly having to do with plot) can be found in the 4th book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, chapter 20 ("The First Task"), and are copyrighted to the brilliant J.K. Rowling. No infringement is intended.
Serena Wolfsbane, Katrina Rowan, and Tyler Wolfsbane are original characters and are copyrighted to me -- the author acting under the pen-name of Shiloh_Tovah -- and my co-author, who has no account on this site and wishes to remain anonymous on the internet until the time of her choosing.
--3--

Kat remained at Hogwarts till after supper, when she and Serena went down into Hogsmeade for a catch-up and a drink or two. They talked long into the night about anything and everything -- mostly concerning Kat’s recent travels in search of wand materials, as well as Serena’s experiences teaching at Hogwarts.

–So,” said Kat eventually. –You haven’t talked to Snape at all? I thought you would’ve jumped at the chance.”

Serena rolled her eyes. –Believe me, it’s not for lack of trying. He’s been avoiding me like the plague.”

Kat shrugged. –That’s either smart thinking on his part, or he’s hiding something. And knowing Snivellus--”

–Don’t call him that.”

–--it’s most likely the latter.” She thoughtfully sipped her butterbeer. –Of course, it’s entirely possible that it’s both. You always were excellent at unnerving him.” Serena smirked proudly and Kat chuckled.

–In all seriousness, though,” she continued. –I’d keep my eye on him if I were you.” She dropped her voice ever so slightly. –Once a Death Eater, always a Death Eater; you know.”

–Dumbledore seems to trust him enough to let him teach, though heavens knows why…” said Serena. –And I am keeping my eye on him; who do you think you’re talking to?”

Kat gave a sort of apologetic smile. –I know, I know. I’m just saying, as your friend: I know you want answers and all that out of Snape, but do try not to get too comfortable with him around. Know what I mean?”

Serena nodded, and they left it at that. The two parted ways after they’d had their fill of talk and drink, but as Serena trudged back up to the castle, Kat’s words echoed in the back of her mind.

Once a Death Eater, always a Death Eater.

***********


The morning of the first task of the Triwizard Tournament dawned upon a particularly irritable Professor Snape. His morning classes passed far more slowly than he would have preferred; filled with far more annoying, incompetent, insufferable little children than he felt anyone should have to encounter. Nevertheless, it seemed too soon before he found himself navigating the school grounds with his Slytherins in tow, along with everyone else making their way to where the task was to be held. Severus passed by the champion's tent and had just reached the foot of the spectator's stands when he saw her.

Wolfsbane. She didn't seem to have noticed him yet, but Severus could tell she was subtly looking round for him. He attempted to quickly lose himself in the crowd of students (now scrambling to get good seats) which was all easier said than done, considering the students currently surrounding him were first-years, all of whom Snape towered over even when he wasn't trying to.

By some stroke of luck, Severus managed to get to his seat without crossing Serena's path. Everyone else had begun to settle in their seats as well, and Snape scanned the crowd to make sure everything was as it should be. As he did so, he briefly caught Serena's eye. She was sitting several rows away from him and was now focused on the Swedish Short-Snout that had just entered the enclosure, so he knew he was safe. What concerned him was the look on her face. Her features were stern and unmoving; the very picture of determination. Snape had seen that look many times before, and it did not bode well at all. Quite truthfully, it unnerved him.

But there was no chance of Snape letting anyone know that. The look on his own face was, as always, one of unshakeable indifference.


Later that night, Snape was hidden away in his office, flipping through old spell and potion books. It was how he spent most of his evenings at Hogwarts, when he wasn't grading essays and such. He appreciated the quiet time to himself after being around students all day and was immensely annoyed when there was a sudden knock on his door.

Most people knew not to bother him outside of the regular school hours, so normally Severus would have rushed to the door expecting a message of emergency from Dumbledore. This time, however, he stayed still and -- more importantly -- silent.

It could be her, thought Snape just as there was another brisk knock that was significantly louder than the first. He slowly pointed his wand at the door and muttered, "Perspicio." Immediately the door became one-way transparent, and there she was. Snape couldn’t believe his eyes; Serena Wolfsbane was standing at his office door.

Well well, he sneered to himself. Finally plucked up the courage, did she? The thought of her coming to him like this had always been in the back of his mind, which had prompted his precautions, but he never thought she would have the nerve. Yet there she stood, with that same determined expression, as she knocked a third time.

He remained seated at his desk, watching her through the transparent door. He watched her raise her wand and murmur –Alohomora,” but before she finished the spell Snape had already cast the countercharm. He couldn’t help himself from smirking as she tried to open the still-locked door. Finally, she rolled her eyes and abruptly turned and walked away. Snape chuckled to himself. An Auror who gives up that easily is why our world is still in danger of the Dark Lord.

Serena'd had enough, but she was far from giving up. She distanced herself from the office door and aimed her wand. –Reducto.”

The door immediately exploded, sending pieces of wood and metal flying. Severus jumped to his feet and pulled his wand from inside his robes as Serena entered the room. They stared at each other, neither knowing what to say, and Snape was suddenly enraged with her for breaking into his office and disturbing his night.

Serena did not dare take her eyes off him, and with good reason: he suddenly sent a curse flying towards her. But she was fast and prepared. She blocked the curse and sent it flying into a wall lined with flasks of potions which shattered onto the floor. For a moment they both stood staring at each other in disbelief. Then Serena raised her wand. If it was a fight Severus wanted, she was more than ready. She shot a curse at him, which he blocked then returned with a counterjinx. Everything seemed to move faster as they dueled, his ebony wand against her sycamore. They circled the room sending curses at one another; misses and ricochets sent books and papers falling from their shelves. Bottles of potions exploded all around them.

Serena did not hold back any of the anger that had built up over the years. She used every jinx and hex she could think of as she quickly advanced on Severus. She was sending the curses so fast that he had no time to retaliate, and only just enough time to defend himself. Finally she screamed –Expelliarmus!” and Snape's wand flew out of his hand and onto the floor.

They glared at each other as they both tried to catch their breath. He had gone easy on her, which was a terrible mistake. She was no longer the timid witch he had known twenty years ago. Now she was skilled, powerful, and absolutely brilliant.

Serena was the first to speak, but when she did the words came out almost in a low growl. At first Snape thought the voice was coming from another pairs of lips, but another look proved they were Serena’s.

–Enough of this foolishness! Honestly Severus, after all these years, after everything we’ve been through, we still can't act like civilized people around each other?” He didn’t respond. They glared at each other a moment longer.

–Pick up your wand!” she snapped as she whipped around, her back now towards him. Severus knelt to the ground slowly, carefully, never taking his eyes off her as he retrieved his wand from where it had fallen. As he stood up, Serena silently waved her wand and the room began to rearrange itself to its proper order. After she was done, the room looked untouched. Every book and potion was back on its shelf and the recently exploded door was whole and, once again, locked.

Serena sat down in front of Severus’ desk, while he still stood staring at her. –Sit!” she barked. He slowly sat back down at his desk.

Serena cleared her throat. –I know why you have been avoiding me Severus, and I finally decided that I was tired of waiting for you to find the courage to stop hiding from me.” Her words were coming out so quickly she hardly had time to breathe. –Now, I want to know everything from the very beginning; how and why he had to--”

–Your brother is dead!” said Severus. –There is nothing you can do to bring him back! Hearing about how the Dark Lord murdered him will not bring you closure; therefore, we have nothing to discuss.” Serena had to suppress the sudden lump in her throat before she could speak again. She didn’t dare show Snape the way his words affected her.

–I know it won’t bring him back,” she said softly. –I am aware that no one will ever be able to justify his death or make his loss any easier, but Severus… I must know.”

They sat in silence for what seemed like an eternity before Severus spoke again. –Tyler had been protecting Muggles against the Dark Lord’s wishes. One time in particular, the Death Eaters were sent to a town with orders to kill all the Muggle inhabitants, but when we arrived there were none to be found. It was obvious they had been warned. Because of Tyler’s sensitivity towards murder most of us suspected him, even though he told no one of his betrayal; not even me. But it is very difficult to lie to the Dark Lord; therefore, your brother’s charade did not last long.”

Severus paused, checking Serena’s expression, but she remained unreadable. –One day,” he continued, –we were told there would be another raid on a Muggle house. Your brother was included in the assigned Death Eaters.” Severus paused again, but only briefly, as if choosing his words carefully. –This particular raid was a trap. The Dark Lord and the rest of the Death Eaters, including myself, were waiting for Tyler when he came to warn the Muggles ahead of time. The Dark Lord disarmed him, tortured him, forced him to admit every last detail of his treachery.

–And then, he had us bring out the Muggle family that lived in the house. He commanded Tyler to kill them, but your brother refused. That is, until the Dark Lord gave him a choice: either Tyler kill the Muggles, or the Dark Lord would kill them as painfully and as inhumanely as possible.” Severus took a slow breath. –In reality, Tyler did those Muggles a favor by killing them himself. He was much kinder than the Dark Lord would have been. Once they were dead, the Dark Lord cast the strongest Cruciatus Curse on Tyler that I’d ever witnessed; so strong that he was rendered completely immobile by the pain. The Dark Lord then set fire to the house and we Disapparated, leaving your brother and the dead Muggles there to burn.” Severus fell silent as Serena stared at him, taking in his story.

–So you knew,” she said finally. –You knew this would happen to him.”

–Yes.”

There was another long pause before Serena stood up. Snape had to restrain himself from recoiling in his seat, wary of her reaction. But Serena merely said, –Thank you, Severus,” and turned to leave.

He relaxed as Serena strode towards the door. Well, he thought. That went smoother than I expec--

–Reducto!” she screamed. Severus jumped as his office door was once again obliterated, but Serena merely stepped over the debris and vanished.
Chapter Endnotes: Sorry about the long wait. Ran into a bit of writer's block with this one. Hope y'all are enjoying the story. Reviews are much appreciated!
~Shiloh