Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Wolfsbane by Shiloh_Tovah

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Canon passages (having to do with plot and/or dialogue) can be found in the 4th book: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, chapters 16 ("The Goblet of Fire"), 17 ("The Four Champions"), and 18 ("The Weighing of the Wands") and are copyrighted to the brilliant J.K. Rowling. No infringement is intended.
Serena Wolfsbane, Katrina Rowan, and Tyler Wolfsbane are original characters and are copyrighted to me -- the author acting under the pen-name of Shiloh_Tovah -- and my co-author, who has no account on this site and wishes to remain anonymous on the internet until the time of her choosing.
--2--

The arrival of the Durmstrang and Beauxbatons visitors caused quite the stir among students and staff alike. The start of the Triwizard Tournament was finally here, and an excited and eager air settled over the Great Hall as everyone filed in for the long-awaited feast.

The Hogwarts staff entered the Hall once the students had settled themselves at their tables. Professor McGonagall led the way to the staff table while Dumbledore and the Heads of the visiting schools brought up the rear. Five extra chairs had been added to the table, and the guests sat on either side of Dumbledore; Professor Karkaroff of Durmstrang on his right and Madame Maxime of Beauxbatons on his left. Once everyone was seated, Dumbledore officially welcomed the visiting students and Heads, and invited all to enjoy the feast.

About halfway through the first course, Ludo Bagman and Bartemius Crouch of the Ministry of Magic arrived. They greeted Dumbledore and seated themselves at the staff table, Crouch on Madame Maxime’s left and Bagman between Professor Karkaroff and Snape. Karkaroff was still deep in conversation with Dumbledore, so Bagman turned to Severus and began talking the ear off the disgruntled potions professor.

Serena sat on the other end of the staff table between the fifth empty chair and Professor Flitwick (who had brought along a rather large Charms textbook to sit on so he could reach over the table). She’d tried to get a seat near Severus, but he had managed to dodge her yet again, hurrying to secure a spot between Professor Vector and the reserved seats. As the chair on Vector’s right was occupied by Professor Sprout, Serena’d had little choice but to surrender herself to the emptier side of the table, but not before casting Snape a piercing glare -- which he ignored.

She sat picking at her food, consumed by her thoughts. Severus had been avoiding her rather successfully ever since she’d arrived at Hogwarts. She knew why, of course. Severus was no doubt expecting her to approach him about Tyler’s death, which was precisely what she intended to do if she ever managed to get a moment with Snape…

Bagman and Crouch’s arrival briefly interrupted Serena’s thoughts, as well as her inspection of the bouillabaisse (which she found quite disgusting). The empty chair next to Serena was soon filled by the fifth guest of the evening -- an older wizard with scraggly gray hair, an excessively scarred face, and mismatched eyes, one of which was large, blue, and spinning in all directions.

–Uncle Alastor!” said Serena excitedly. –I didn’t expect you to be here. It’s so good to see you!”

–Aye, and you as well, missy,” said Mad-Eye Moody with something akin to a smile. –Dumbledore invited me here for the opening of the Tournament. Something about wanting to make up for my not being able to come teach after all.” Moody ignored the foreign dishes arraying the table and reached for the black pudding. –How has it been for you; teaching?” he asked. –Any problems I should know about?”

Serena shook her head. –The Weasleys have been giving me some trouble, but it’s nothing I can’t handle.” Moody’s magical eye whizzed around to glare a moment at the Weasley twins, who were sitting at the Gryffindor table and watching Moody and Serena interestedly. They appeared fascinated by Moody’s eye, which turned from them to stare through the back of his head at the opposite end of the staff table.

–And…Snape?” he asked gruffly. –Any trouble from him?”

–We haven’t spoken.”

–That so? Hmm…” Moody’s normal eye narrowed as his magical eye resumed glancing about the Hall. –Well, you keep an eye on that one, eh? Don’t want him pulling anything on you. CONSTANT VIGILENCE!” Crouch started at Moody’s sudden outburst, but Serena merely nodded and returned to picking at her food as Moody shoveled the pudding into his mouth.

Soon after, Dumbledore rose from his seat and everyone fell silent as he introduced Bagman and Crouch to the students. He then called for Mr. Filch to bring in what he referred to simply as –the casket.” Everyone watched with curious eyes as Filch carried in a large, wooden, jewel-encrusted chest and set it before the staff table. Dumbledore tapped the chest thrice with his wand, and it opened to reveal a plain, wooden goblet nearly overflowing with bright blue flames. He explained that this Goblet of Fire would serve as the impartial selector of the school champions, and that students had twenty-four hours to submit their names. Dumbledore emphasized once again that the Tournament should not be taken lightly, and abruptly dismissed the students to their dormitories.

Everyone stood at once, and the Hall filled with even more noise than Serena had thought possible. Moody began saying something to her about his sleeping arrangements for the night, but she wasn’t paying attention. She was looking for Severus, and caught him rushing for the door, as usual, without so much as a backwards glance. She frowned deeply. Running from me again, eh? she thought. This is getting ridiculous…


The next evening, Serena sat in a daze while Professor Dumbledore read the names of the Triwizard Champions as they were shot up and out of the Goblet of Fire. There was an uproar each time a name was called, but Serena paid no attention. She had never been very interested in sports or games of any kind, so her interest in the Tournament itself was at a bare minimum. It also didn’t help that she was in the worst of moods. Severus had her blood boiling once again. It was so immature of him to avoid her. It just showed how much of a coward he is, and it made Serena furious. But she knew it shouldn’t make her furious; she really shouldn’t care at all. But of course, this knowledge only made her more sour.

She glared at him from the corner of her eyes. He sat a few seats down from her and carried his usual expression of indifference. It was clear the Tournament did not excite him either. Not once did he clap or cheer. He sat motionless and completely focused on Dumbledore.

Serena glared at him, hating him solely because she knew she would never affect him the way he did her. She hated his long, black, greasy hair. She hated his dark eyes. Most of all, she hated that air of cold apathy he never ceased to carry with him. She continued to stare at him when a sudden wave of shock crossed his face. Stunned, she finally broke her gaze and turned her attention to Dumbledore, who was holding a name from the Goblet of Fire and yelling for Harry Potter.

Everyone in the room watched as the Potter boy made his way down the aisle. Students were murmuring and the teachers were wide-eyed. Serena was utterly confused and found herself wishing she had been paying more attention. As soon as Potter left the room the teachers turned to each other, speaking frantically in low voices, and the students were in yet another uproar.

The professors nearest to Serena were saying they thought Potter’d cheated somehow. Serena tried to gather her thoughts. Someone else had to have put the boys name in, obviously… He was underage. It’s highly improbable he got past Dumbledore’s Age Line… Not even the twins managed that. She watched as Bagman quickly made his way to the room where the champions were being held, followed close behind by Dumbledore, Crouch, the two visiting Heads, McGonagall, and Snape.

A moment later Serena decided that, as the resident Auror, Dumbledore would probably want her present. She pushed through the crowd of concerned staff and indignant students, and entered the back room just in time to hear a low, soft voice saying, –It’s no one’s fault but Potter’s, Karkaroff. Don’t go blaming Dumbledore for Potter’s determination to break rules. He has been crossing lines ever since he arrived here--”

–It’s highly unlikely it was a student, especially one as young as Potter,” said Serena from the doorway. –How do we know this wasn’t the doing of a fellow teacher or staff member?”

Everyone turned to look at Serena, but she kept her eyes on Severus.

–Is that a confession or an accusation, Wolfsbane?” said Snape through gritted teeth. Serena’s eyes narrowed but never left his.

–Neither, but I feel as though we should examine all the possibilities before we start pointing fingers, Severus.”

–Thank you Serena; Severus,” said Dumbledore firmly. He went on to question the boy, who of course claimed to know nothing. Serena did not particularly like Harry Potter; he was a constant reminder of Lily and James, both of whom she had always detested. She had no intentions of helping Potter, but she didn’t want to side with Severus either. Severus now stood with a smug smirk spread across his face as the professors called Potter a liar. Serena just rolled her eyes as the arguments continued until the door behind her opened, revealing her uncle, Alastor.

–He’s got to compete,” he said definitively. –They’ve all got to compete. Binding magical contract, like Crouch said.” That didn’t sit well with anyone in the room, but after a few minutes more of arguing, they all knew there was no way around it. Harry Potter would have to compete.

Serena crossed her arms over her chest and simply watched the others until the champions and their headmasters had left the room for bed. The only ones left in the room with Serena were McGonagall, Moody, Snape and Dumbledore.

McGonagall spoke first. –Do you really expect him to compete, Albus? He’s just a boy! Those tasks are far above his skill level.”

Dumbledore sighed. –I’m afraid we have no choice, Minerva. However, I do agree with Alastor: someone might have set the boy up; therefore, we must be very cautious. He will need protection.” Dumbledore turned to Serena, who bristled at the thought of what was sure to come. She was here at Hogwarts to teach, not to babysit!

Before she could protest, however, Moody spoke up. –I will stay and watch over the boy as much as I can.”

Serena snapped her head towards him, surprised. Alastor was not one for babysitting either; it was rather unlike him. Severus also stared at him before slowly turning his gaze toward Serena. Their eyes met for a brief moment, each barely registering the other’s disbelief.

–Thank you, Alastor,” said Dumbledore. –Your services are greatly appreciated but unnecessary. I have professors more than capable of protecting Harry.”

–The professors have their teaching to do,” reasoned Moody. –I insist.” This too left Serena in a bit of shock. As Dumbledore apparently had no more intentions of arguing tonight, he granted Moody’s request.

***********


–Can’t it wait?”

The third-year boy standing in Serena’s doorway shook his head nervously and fidgeted, obviously uncomfortable. –Professor Dumbledore asked for you specifically. He said… well, he insists.”

Serena made a face, reluctant to leave her desk. –Is there any particular reason he asked for me specifically?”

–Um… well,” stuttered the boy. –Not that I know of, miss.”

–No, of course not,” Serena muttered. She stowed her ungraded essays in a drawer before rising with a sigh. –Might as well get on with it, then. Where does he want me, exactly?”

The boy led Serena to the door of a small classroom on the main floor, but scurried away before she could manage to at least thank him. Hmm, she thought. Perhaps I should’ve held off on my vampires lesson… Well, no matter; the damage is done. She shrugged to herself and opened the classroom door.

The first thing she saw was Rita Skeeter, and she had to restrain herself from pulling out her wand and giving the woman the what-for she surely deserved. She barely had time to register who else was in the room before several things happened at once: Dumbledore exclaimed, –Ah, here she is;” Professor Karkaroff and Madame Maxime both loudly demanded to know why Serena was there, exactly; and someone smelling of woodchips and screaming Serena’s name launched themselves at her, nearly tackling her to the ground.

–Bloody hell--!” Serena really was reaching for her wand now, but was stopped by a familiar laugh.

–Oh come on, now; it’s only me!” The tackler released their grip, and it took Serena half a moment to process the smiling face of the young, brown-haired, bespectacled witch standing before her.

–Kat!” exclaimed Serena. –Wait… What are you doing here?”

Kat chuckled. –Well, seeing as how it’s the Weighing of the Wands, I thought it might be obvious.”

Serena was still confused. –If that’s what this is, then I’m wondering what I’m doing here,” she said, turning to Dumbledore.

–Zat is what we are all wondering, Dumbly-dorr,” said Madame Maxime.

Karkaroff started to say something but Dumbledore cleared his throat, cutting him off. –I asked Professor Wolfsbane to attend for my own reasons, none of which need to be explained at this time.” He held up a hand to silence further questioning. –It’s high time we get down to business, and explanations will only hinder us.”

The headmaster turned to the four champions. –As I was saying, this is Mr. Ollivander--” he gestured to the old wizard who was standing next to Kat and Serena. –And his apprentice, Miss Rowan.” He gestured to Kat. –They will be checking your wands to ensure that they are in good condition before the Tournament.”

–Well then,” Serena murmured to Kat. –That does explain why you’re here, doesn’t it?”

Kat nodded, watching intently as Ollivander examined Fleur’s wand. –He really could’ve done this himself, but he asked me to come along. Once in a lifetime opportunity, you know… ” Her voice trailed off and Serena rolled her eyes. When it came to wands, Kat’s focus was nowhere else. –A veela core…?” she breathed, fascinated. Serena chuckled, bringing Kat out of her reverie.

–So,” Serena whispered, not wanting to disturb Ollivander and the others. –Have you heard much about this Potter boy?”

–Hm? Oh, yes,” said Kat absentmindedly. –Everyone’s been talking about him being the ‘unprecedented fourth champion’… Bit suspicious, if you ask me.”

–My thoughts exactly,” said Serena. –I don’t much care for the boy, personally. He’s just like Evans was, you remember? Everyone’s favorite…” Serena frowned at the memory.

–Yeah, Evans,” muttered Kat. –Bit of a nutter, that one… No one in their right mind… Married that stuck-up… Potter boy… Ooh, I remember his wand; Diggory, was it? Nasty piece of work, that unicorn.”

Aaand she’s gone again, thought Serena, shaking her head. Ollivander called Kat over to him to inspect Viktor’s wand (–A Gregorovitch, yes? Interesting styling…”), and Dumbledore moved closer to Serena.

–I do apologize for interrupting your daily routine with this,” he said softly. –But I thought it best to have someone extra here to keep an eye on everything, and your uncle was feeling a bit under the weather.” Serena nodded. She understood, but she didn’t like it. So much fuss over the Potter boy…

–Besides,” said Dumbledore with a small smile. –Miss Rowan insisted.”
Chapter Endnotes: These are progressively getting longer, I've noticed... Lots of canon reference in this one, but we feel that the little stuff is important too. Hopefully y'all feel the same (don't want to bore y'all lol). At any rate, we hope you've been enjoying our story so far, and thanks so much to y'all who've written reviews. We love feedback!
--Shiloh