Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

For the Love of Books by Theloonyhermione

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

Sorry to those of you who have made stories similar to this before me, I really wanted to write this story and tried to make it my own. I hope you like it!
Chapter Notes: This chapter is an example of what Hermione's life was like before she went to Hogwarts. I hope you enjoy!
Hermione Granger was not an ordinary girl. For one thing, she didn’t have any friends; she claimed her only friends were her books. For another thing, some strange things happened around her. This is what happened during Hermione’s first year at her new school in her fifth year.

Hermione watched her parents waving to her and she waved back out of the bus window. She sat down by herself and was planning to get out one of her books when she felt something hit her. She looked up and saw it was just a crumpled up piece of paper and it had came from the direction of the seat across from her. She ignored the boy and got out her book. Once again, when she started reading, another piece of paper hit her.

–What is it? What do you want?” she asked the boy, annoyed.

–You’re a new girl, aren’t you?” said the boy.

–Yes, I’m Hermione Granger,” she said.

–I’m Rob Crawford,” he said. –So, you like to read?” He asked this disgustedly, as if liking to read was some sort of crime.

–Yes, I do. And if you wouldn’t mind, I prefer not to be bothered while I am reading. So, if you would please leave me alone, it would be highly appreciated.”

And Hermione went on to read her book. She saw, however, out of the corner of her eye, Rob Crawford sticking his nose up in the air in a snobby imitation of herself. She heard the crumpling of paper and ignored it, reading her book. She was deep in the world of The Magician’s Nephew - the first book in one of her favorite series of all time - when she saw the ball of paper coming towards her. Aggravated, she ignored it but as it came about three inches from her face she saw it completely change direction - and hit Rob Crawford smack on the nose. She covered her mouth to keep from laughing. Rob looked at her, half with disbelief, half infuriated. She shrugged her shoulders. She had not done anything, and she could tell Rob knew that. But she would be blamed, for she was the only one that had been close to touching it. She went on reading her book, happy that she had finally made him go away - and she knew she wouldn’t be bothered by him again. Or at least she thought so.

Hermione soon faced a dilemma - someone would have to sit with her soon, for all of the seats on the bus were quickly filling up. The moment came faster than she expected, for a tall girl with her dark hair in a braid down her back sat down next to her.

–Hi,” said Hermione shyly. –I’m Hermione Granger. I’m new here.”

–I’m Mariah Walsh, and I am too,” said the girl.

Hermione looked jealously at her silky hair and her smooth, purple dress. Hermione picked up a strand of her own bushy hair and looked down at her thick skirt and tights. She went on reading, and was surprised to see that Mariah took out her own book too.

–You like to read?” she asked Mariah, and she nodded.

–Well, I don’t read all the time, I just do it sometimes.”

–I love to read,” said Hermione, stroking the spine of her book.

She loved the books because, no matter where she was or how bad things were going, things as simple as words could take her anywhere, to do anything. And she read all that she could, and most of the time when she wasn’t reading she was writing. She stroked the spine again with its raised up letters, and then the bus stopped. They were at the school.

–Now, I am going to introduce two new students in our class today,” said Miss Morin, Hermione’s new teacher. –Could I have Hermione and Mariah stand up and come to the front of the room, please?”

Hermione heard a snigger from the class and saw it came from the direction of - who else - Rob Crawford. He whispered something to someone next to him, and she heard a snigger from him too.

–Now, could I have each of you introduce yourselves and....let’s see....something you like or like to do. Hermione, why don’t you go first.”

Hermione took a deep breath. –I’m Hermione Granger, and I like...reading, and books.”

–Good, Hermione, good. Class, quiet down,” Hermione’s teacher said as half of the class started to laugh underneath their hands. Hermione blushed and focused her eyes on Mariah.

–I’m Mariah Walsh,” she said, smoothing down her dress, –and I like animals.” Mariah turned and walked to her seat, followed by Hermione. Hermione sat down next to Mariah, aware of the many eyes on her.

Class went horribly in the morning, and Hermione learned not to even glance at Rob and his friends. Hermione found that being smart was not considered a good thing in this school. Before this, she had gone to a private boarding school where everybody was at about the same grade level as her and loved reading almost as much as she did, although she was normally the best in her class.

At lunch break, Hermione asked if she could stay inside in the library. Her teacher allowed it, but when she asked Mariah to join her, she said she’d rather go outside. Hermione sighed and went to one of the only places where she felt at home - sometimes even more than her own house. At her house, she felt forced to read, and not for pleasure, but for learning. Her father made her read scientific books about animals and chemistry and biology, while her mother made her read historical books about wars and events in history. Hermione had never liked either subject and preferred fantasy, mostly the types where there were magicians and spells and potions. She smiled at the thought and immediately went to the fantasy section and immersed herself in other worlds. Maybe that’s why I like these books so much, she thought. Maybe I like to leave this world and go to another.

Hermione watched as Rob Crawford staggered into the school, half-covered in mud. One of his friends followed him in the same condition. Hermione looked over at Mariah to see that she was laughing underneath her hand. Hermione laughed too, but then stopped. She didn’t want to stoop to their level, but...seeing as they had done the same earlier to her, probably worse because she hadn’t pushed them into the mud, she let herself smile a bit.

When she heard her teacher ask, –How in the world did this happen, boys?”

Rob answered, –I....I don’t know. One second we were playing football, the next we were in the mud puddle.”

Hermione laughed, but then stopped. How had this happened? Similar things had happened like this before, and she was beginning to see a pattern. She tried to remember the first time it had happened. She was seven. It was the summer after she had finished first grade at a public primary school that her parents had disliked, but Hermione had enjoyed. Her mother had been looking into a few private boarding schools to ensure that Hermione got the ‘chance to learn more than she could’. She had the forms for the schools on her bedside table, Hermione remembered, and with it the feeling of anger that her parents were taking control of her. One day they had been there and they were gone the next. There had been a full search of the house and they were never found again. Hermione had not ended up going to the school she had hoped to, but she didn’t go to a boarding school. Her parents had, however, never questioned their daughter’s oddness or even seemed to notice it. Maybe I’m going mad, she thought.



That night at the dinner table, the house was full of excitement - Hermione’s parents were planning her birthday. Hermione was not the cause of the excitement, however, because her birthday had never really excited her very much. Her parents insisted on her old and often confused grandmother coming, who often talked to herself about what seemed like an imaginary character who she insisted was her great-great-uncle and could do magic. Hermione normally would have been fascinated by this sort of thing, but she knew how old and confused her grandmother ("It’s Grammy!" her mother always persisted) must be. Her parents also never let her have a birthday cake or any sort of sweet because they were dentists - Hermione thought this quite odd, for her father would sneak into the cupboard above the refrigerator every night to get bits of chocolate - and they always insisted that she invited at least one friend over. Hermione had never had many friends that stayed awhile before Mariah, which made her sure that she wouldn’t stay long, but she decided to invite her, because, as they always said in books, ‘there’s always a first time.’
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading and please review!!! Criticism is needed!