Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Other Prophecy by IWriteToSurvive

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks again to my Beta, Nagini Riddle. =)
*

–What is it you seek answers to?” croaked an old witch named Sara.

–A prophecy,” said Hermione in a gravelly voice so unlike her own. She clutched a bulky cloak around her, disguised.

The old witch laughed. –There are millions of prophecies. The chances of me having answers to the one you seek are very slim.”

Hermione gave a small wheeze of a laugh in return. –You know exactly which prophecy I’m referring to. You received it.”

Sara squinted her beady eyes at Hermione as if trying to see through her old hag disguise. Hermione held the witches stare and willed her to give her answers. Hermione had been trying to find this witch for five years. Five years of searching and the woman had been in Knockturn Alley all along. Hermione was frustrated, angry, and not at all in the mood for games. She was going to get answers one way or another.

–And how, exactly, do you know that it was I who received this prophecy?” asked the witch, suspiciously.

Hermione reached a wrinkled, frail hand into her bag and pulled out a tiny orb with what appeared to be swirling smoke inside it. –This was found in the Hall of Prophecy at the Ministry nearly seven years ago,” she said. –Your initials were listed as the original recipient.”

In obvious shock, Sara said, –How did you get that? Only those who the prophecy speaks of can retrieve it. That prophecy spoke of a young girl, not an ugly hag.” She reached out a hand to take the orb from Hermione.

Hermione drew her arm back, keeping the prophecy out of the witch’s grasp. –I have my ways,” she said. –How I got it isn’t important. What is important, however, is figuring out what you know about it.”

–What makes you think I know anything about it?” said the witch rather defensively.

–Because you yourself claim to possess the Sight, a rare thing. Even more rare, you did not give this prophecy, you received it - from another Seer,” said Hermione. –I don’t have the Sight. I don’t know everything about it and I don’t really have the desire to, but I do know that a prophecy is much easier to interpret for someone who does have the Sight. I need you to tell me everything you can about this prophecy.”

The witch snorted. –And why should I do that? You probably stole the thing to begin with. Why should I help you?”

–Because, I can pay you,” said a frustrated Hermione as she pulled a rather large sack of Galleons from her cloak. –I didn’t steal it. It was given to me.”

Though not fully believing Hermione’s story, Sara ushered Hermione into her tiny shop at the end of Knockturn Alley. Once safely inside, she secured the door and drew the old, tattered curtains, so no one on the street could see inside the dusty shop. Hermione’s eyes darted around the shop as Sara directed her to a table in the far corner. They sat and Sara held an expectant hand out, clearly wanting her payment up front. Hermione, having dealt with several other similar situations over the years, placed the bag of gold on the table in front of her, out of Sara’s reach.

Knowing that she wouldn’t get the gold until she held up her end of the bargain, the old witch folded her hands together and said, –My services don’t come cheap.”

Hermione snorted. Of course she was going to haggle over her fee. She wasn’t in the mood to negotiate, though. –Name your price.”

–Fifty Galleons.”

Hermione laughed. –For fifty Galleons you’re lucky you haven’t gone out of business. I’ll give you twenty.”

–Forty,” she said. –My prices are fair.”

–Thirty,” Hermione replied. –And I won’t inform the Ministry of all the illegal items you’ve got for sale in this shop.”

Sara sat in silence, contemplating Hermione’s subtle threat. –Deal,” she said. –Give me the prophecy.”

Eyeing her suspiciously, Hermione handed over the tiny orb. Watching her closely, Hermione listened to the words of the prophecy that she had heard a thousand times, this time hoping for answers.

One who aided in the Dark Lord’s destruction will be in danger

His one true follower will seek to destroy her
In youth, she shall forever be
When prey becomes predator
Battle will commence
Approaching the end of night
And into day
They both shall perish
The armor will fail
Unless one becomes two
Neither will survive

Silence followed the sharp, raspy voice that emerged from the prophecy. Sitting across from Hermione, Sara gave her a piercing look before standing from the table and roaming around the shop, gathering supplies. Hermione dared not ask the woman exactly what she was doing. Instead, she held her silence and watched closely. A few minutes passed before the witch returned, placing several objects on the little table.

Hermione kept silent as the little old witch worked with the strange instruments on the table before her, only recognizing the all-too-familiar crystal ball. She didn’t know what the witch was doing but she knew better than to interrupt. After nearly ten minutes, Sara sat back in her seat with a great sigh. As if resigned to a terrible fate, she looked up at Hermione.

–What do you want to know?”

–Everything,” she said. –I need to know everything.”
She gave Hermione an exasperated look. –I can’t tell you everything. I don’t know everything.”

–Fine,” she said. –I was able to figure most of it out myself. Perhaps you can confirm my conclusions?”

Sara nodded. –I’ll do what I can.”

–The Dark Lord’s one true follower.’ Does that refer to Bellatrix Lestrange?”

Sara folded her fingers in front of her and said, –That has not been confirmed, but she was thought to be Voldemort’s most… loyal follower. She would certainly do anything for him, even in death.”

Hermione nodded. –She’s also one of the only known Death Eaters to still be at large. The prophecy speaks of a specific time. ‘Approaching the end of night and into day.’ Does that mean midnight?”

Sara pulled the crystal ball nearer to her and peered into its depths. Hermione made careful not to let Sara see her roll her eyes. She didn’t want to offend her when she needed answers. Crystal gazing was her least favorite aspect of Divination, a shift branch of magic.

–It could be interpreted as ‘midnight,’ I suppose,” said Sara, looking up from the crystal. –But, I don’t think so. I believe it refers to a specific time of year rather than a time of day.”

Hermione nodded, her brain working furiously to solve this small riddle. The answer came to her easily, and she scolded herself mentally for not understanding it sooner. Spring time. The Spring Equinox. The end of winter and darkness to the start of spring and light. She should have seen it before.

Moving on, Hermione said, –It states that both will die unless ‘one becomes two.’ What does that mean?”

Sara shook her head with a sigh. –I’m afraid I don’t have the answer to that one. It’s too obscure.”

Hermione let out a frustrated sigh and thought for a moment. –All right,” she said. –Thank you.” She gathered her bags and prepared to leave the shop. She knew there wasn’t much left to be learned.

–Wait,” said Sara from the table. Hermione paused at the shop door, her hand on the doorknob. –I don’t think she knows of the prophecy.”

–Who?” Hermione asked as she turned to look at the old witch.

–Miss Lestrange.”

–Why would she try to kill a young woman if she didn’t know about the prophecy?”

Sara gazed into her crystal ball again. –That is impossible to know. I do know this, though: Miss Lestrange is hunting someone who is loved very much. If this battle does not end very soon, those who care most will be the ones to suffer. They will be in danger.”

Not knowing what to say, Hermione gave a final nod and stepped out of the shop. She had her answers, and she now had to make sure the Weasley family and her parents never fell into harm’s way. She had to come up
with a plan and fast.

***

Fred did exactly as Jane had requested. He put up as many protective charms around the Burrow as he could think of when she left. He didn’t know who was after Hermione, but he was determined to find out. He finally understood why she left five years ago, and he wasn’t about to let someone hurt her.

Two weeks after Jane’s visit to the Weasleys, Fred decided to drop by. When he passed through the protective charms, he couldn’t help but feel like something wasn’t quite right, but he shook off the strange feeling and entered the house. He’d spent the past fortnight brushing up on several defensive spells and felt confident that his family was safe.

After eating dinner with the family, Fred offered to help his mother in the kitchen. It wasn’t long before they heard a scream come from the sitting room, and a sinking feeling entered Fred’s stomach. They dashed into the room, wands drawn, only to be knocked off their feet moments later by a powerful jinx. Regaining his footing and checking to see that his mother was all right, Fred quickly turned to face the room, wildly looking about for the spell caster. In the center of the room, with a triumphant grin upon her face, stood a woman he hoped he’d never see again: Bellatrix Lestrange.

Without warning, Fred’s wand was sent soaring into the air and out of reach. He didn’t even have time to react. He stood defenseless and wandless. Looking around the room, he saw that several members of his family were stirring, regaining consciousness. Ron lay in a heap in front of the fireplace, immobile and bleeding from several places. Luna, his wife, was tending to him while doing her best to stem the flow of blood from her own minor wounds and trying to protect her swollen, pregnant belly. Ginny slowly pulled herself up from the floor, struggling to keep her balance. Percy sat up from a corner of the room and scrambled around uselessly for his wand and glasses. Mr. Weasley crawled towards his wife, who had been knocked into a bookshelf and lay unconscious at Fred’s feet.

Fred stared down Bellatrix, wondering how she broke through his protective charms. Why was she here in the first place? Was she the one after Hermione?

–Where is she?” hissed Bellatrix.

No one answered her.

–WHERE IS SHE?” she bellowed causing the Weasleys to jump.

–Who?” asked Ginny, her face looking mildly green.

–Don’t try to play games with me, girly,” she said with a small, playful laugh. –I know she’s here. I tracked her.”

–Who?” Percy asked, repeating Ginny’s question. –What do you want?”

Bellatrix looked up and pointed her wand menacingly at him. She smiled and said, in sweet mocking, –Hermione Granger.”

Fred, slightly confused and very angry, spoke to Bellatrix through gritted teeth. –Don’t you dare say her name. We haven’t seen Hermione in over five years, thanks to you.”

–Don’t lie to me!” she shouted. –I’ve been tracking her for months. I know she’s been here.”

–You’re wrong,” said Mr. Weasley. –Hermione has not stepped foot in this house in five years.”

–What do you want with her, anyway?” asked Luna as she dabbed blood away from Ron’s forehead.

–I want to play a little game with her, Blondie,” said Bellatrix in her innocent, mock baby voice as she took a step towards Luna. –Tell me where she is. I only want to play with her.”

–We don’t know,” said Mrs. Weasley as she sat up, having finally regained consciousness.

–DON’T LIE TO ME!” Bellatrix roared.
Without warning, Bellatrix threw a curse at Mrs. Weasley, causing her to scream out in pain.

–NO!” shouted Ginny, taking a clumsy step toward Bellatrix, who then turned her wand on the youngest Weasley.

Ginny screamed as Bellatrix used the torture curse on her. She fell to her knees as Percy tried to protect his younger sister by throwing himself in front of her.
Bellatrix lifted the curse on Ginny and cackled in amusement. –You can’t stop me, little girl. Tell me where she is!”

–We told you,” said Fred angrily. –We don’t know where she is. We wouldn’t tell you if we did.”

–LIES!” shouted Bellatrix, quickly losing the gleam in her eye that suggested she was having fun. –I know that filthy Mudblood was here!”

Without warning, Fred lunged at Bellatrix, with fury in his eyes. He didn’t have his wand but he was going to do the best he could to strangle her with his bare hands. Bellatrix was too quick for him, however, and cast a curse on him. Time and time again she tortured Fred, insisting that Hermione had been at the Burrow, threatening to kill everyone in the house until he told her where she was. Nothing worked. No matter how Bellatrix tortured Fred and his family, no one gave her any information. Soon, she grew tired and angry of their resistance. Having confiscated their wands, the Weasleys lay about the room, helpless and at Bellatrix’s mercy.

After an hour of anguish, Bellatrix tried a new tactic. Fred lay panting and struggling to stand at Bellatrix’s feet. He was her most damaged victim, though several others looked worse. Ron had regained consciousness and was now shielding Luna as best as he could to protect her and their unborn child. Percy sat in front of a sofa, supporting Ginny’s head on his lap as he tried to keep her awake. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley sat in a corner near the doorway. Having managed to escape much of Bellatrix’s wrath, they appeared unharmed save for several cuts and bruises. They sat, begging Bellatrix to
spare their family.

Ignoring Mr. and Mrs. Weasley’s pleading, Bellatrix grabbed a fistful of Fred’s hair and yanked him up onto his feet. She whispered in his ear, so low that no one else could hear.

–No matter if you tell me where she is, Freddie, I will find her,” she said. –And I will kill your beloved Hermione.”

And then she kissed Fred’s cheek and ran her tongue up the side of his face, causing him to shiver. –That will be the only kiss you ever get, because you certainly won’t be getting another one from your dear, sweet Mudblood Granger.”

Fred’s face went pale and his eyes grew large at her words. How did she know about them? No one knew that. No one at all. Bellatrix kept whispering terrible words in Fred’s ear, causing tears to flow down his face. As much as he wanted to, he was much too weak to resist the painful emotions. He couldn’t even move away from her.

They were losing hope and Bellatrix was losing patience. Though her victims lay before her, bloody, bruised, and unconscious, she was not convinced that they had told her the truth. She was about to start torturing them again when a shout came from the doorway, causing her to release Fred’s hair.

Falling to the floor, Fred stayed conscious long enough to see Harry and Bellatrix face off.

Then, all went black.

*
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading. I would love to hear your thoughts so, please, submit a review. I'll have chapter 4 up as soon as I can, though it might have to wait a little while. I'm running behind on my deadline with my publisher.