Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Other Prophecy by IWriteToSurvive

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Thanks to my beta Nagini Riddle.
*

Chapter 4: St. Mungo’s

Hermione woke the next morning in the room she had booked in the Leaky Cauldron. After being up all night working on her plans, Hermione had only gotten a few hours of sleep that night. She gathered up her things and headed down to the pub for a quick breakfast before leaving again.

While eating her breakfast, Hermione asked the bartender, Tom, for a copy of the morning’s Daily Prophet. Instantly, upon reading the front page headline, Hermione was filled with rage.

Supporter of You-Know-Who Eludes Capture

Late last night, known dark witch and notorious supporter of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, Bellatrix Lestrange, escaped capture. Mr. Harry Potter, Auror for the Ministry, walked into the residence of his in-laws, the Weasley family, to find them in a state of distress.

It is our understanding that Mr. Potter walked in to find his family being tortured by the former Death Eater and immediately jumped into action to protect them and capture Ms. Lestrange. Though Mr. Potter refused to comment on the evening’s events, it has been gathered that Ms. Lestrange gained entrance to the Weasley home shortly after sunset, breaking through protective charms that had been placed around the home. It is believed that Ms. Lestrange tortured the Weasley family in an attempt to gain the whereabouts of one Miss Hermione Granger, who has been missing for over five years and is presumed to be dead.

Several members of the Weasley family have sustained injuries and three of them are currently in St. Mungo’s with potentially life-threatening afflictions.

Ms. Lestrange managed to escape capture and is believed to have gone into hiding once more. Members of the Auror Office have assured us here at the Daily Prophet that they are doing their utmost to bring Ms. Lestrange to justice and they believe her capture is near.


Instantly, Hermione’s anger overtook her. In her fury and pain she lost control of her powers, causing several nearby objects to go soaring across the room and collide with the back wall of the pub. This hadn’t happened since she was eleven years old, right before she received her Hogwarts letter. She stood from her chair and immediately left the Leaky Cauldron with patrons staring after her disguised form in bewilderment.

Knowing she needed to cool off before she did anything rash, Hermione decided to walk through Muggle London, heading in the direction of St. Mungo’s, which she knew to be nearby. After a good twenty minute walk, Hermione slipped into an alley way and out of sight of curious Muggles. She then quickly changed her disguise, this time taking the appearance of a rather young witch with a long, thin scar running down one cheek.

Hermione entered St. Mungo’s and easily blended in with the crowd of visitors as they all bustled about. Without even having to look at the floor plan sign, Hermione headed straight for the fourth floor, spell damage. She knew the Weasleys would be there. After politely asking a passing assistant Healer which room housed the Weasleys, Hermione knocked quietly on the door to room number three. After receiving a quiet invitation to enter the room, she slipped inside and gently closed the door behind her.

The sight that met her eyes nearly sent her into a rage once more. The Daily Prophet hadn’t mentioned which of the Weasleys were admitted to St. Mungo’s and Hermione saw Fred lying on a bed in the corner of the room. Though Hermione cared for all of the Weasleys, when she saw Fred lying there, covered in bandages and unconscious, she almost lost it. Just seeing him like that caused Hermione to fall apart on the inside.

Before Hermione could fully recover from her shock and despair, she was addressed by someone to her left.

–Hello,” said Mr. Weasley as he stood next to the bed which held Ginny.

–Can I help you, ma’am?”

Stepping forward slightly, Hermione held out her hand. –Hello, you must be Arthur Weasley. It’s a pleasure to meet you, I’m Melody Cross. I’m very sorry for what’s happened to your family.”

He shook her hand and nodded with a somewhat grim expression on his face. –What can I do for you, Miss Cross?”

She paused for a moment, not quite knowing what her cover story would be this time, and said, –I’m studying to be a Healer here at St. Mungo’s. I’m due to finish training next week. I’m here to have a look around. The hospital’s Head Healer asked me to observe some of the patients and take notes.”

Mr. Weasley didn’t bother to question her story and Hermione had to mentally congratulate herself on her ability to come up with a convincing lie on the spot like that, though she later reprimanded herself for having to lie in the first place. Hermione then slowly walked around the ward which the Weasleys seemed to have to themselves, except for one other patient who looked to have suffered the backlash of a rather nasty Stinging Jinx.

One by one, Hermione visited each of the three hospitalized Weasley children, starting with Ginny. Carefully assessing her damage and chatting lightly with her, Hermione decided that Ginny’s injuries were mild. She had only suffered enough of the Cruciatus Curse to keep her in St. Mungo’s for a day or two. In the end, she would be fine. Ron, on the other hand, would need hospitalization for at least a week. He had suffered a variety of curses and Hermione learned while talking to Luna, who sat by his side, that he had taken the curses so she wouldn’t have to. He was protecting their child. Hermione knew that Ron was going to make a great father.

Hermione visited the other patient so as not to arouse suspicion before taking a seat by Fred’s bed and pretending to look him over. At the sight of him Hermione fell to a loss for words. He was, without a doubt, the one to suffer the most, and Hermione knew that he would have to stay in St. Mungo’s for at least two weeks. Probably more.

She lingered at Fred’s side, hoping no one would notice that she was taking more time with him. When the visiting Weasleys left the ward to go get tea and she saw that all the other patients were snoozing or otherwise occupied, Hermione drew close to Fred and allowed herself to release a cry she had been holding in since she read that article back in the Leaky Cauldron that morning. Quickly and carefully, she placed a tender kiss on Fred’s cheek and whispered to him, though he was sleeping and she knew he could not hear, –Don’t worry, Fred. I will find Bellatrix and I will end all of this, I promise.”

Hermione then departed the hospital as quickly as she could, not wanting anyone to witness her hot, angry tears and give herself away. She left London immediately and quickly searched for a place to stay and plan her next move. She had made a promise to Fred, one that she intended to keep no matter what, and in doing so she had completed part of the prophecy without intending to.

When prey becomes predator, battle will commence…

She had set the course for the end of her life in motion and she knew it. But she didn’t know how to stop it. Hermione still couldn’t figure out the last riddle to the prophecy – the riddle that could save her life – and she realized she didn’t care to. In the end, Hermione realized that she didn’t care about staying alive anymore. She just wanted to keep Fred safe and there was only one way of doing that.

She would have to die.

There was no way around the prophecy’s disaster and she didn’t have time to solve that damn riddle, too. She had to come up with a plan to find Bellatrix. She made a promise to Fred. She had to protect her family, friends, and the one she loved most. That’s all there was to it.
Chapter Endnotes: Thanks for reading everyone! I hope you all like this chapter and I hope you aren't all too mad at me for taking so long to get it up. =)