Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

Ginny Weasley and the Very Secret Diary by RJ Hunt

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: So, technically MY chapter four is too long. So instead of mushing it into chapter five, I decided to split it up. Technically the end of chapter four in the original series ends when Harry travels back to the Burrow. However, I chose to put this scene after that one because basically that's how the money shakes out and it is still during that same day. I hope you like this "Bonus" chapter as I have begun to call it!!!!

–Really?” Ginny squealed and then promptly clapped a hand over her mouth because she was in public and didn’t want to attract any more attention than her family already had.

–Since Harry was kind enough to give you those books that he did not need for free, that left over enough gold to get you your very own wand,” said her mother appreciatively.

–I didn’t know Lockhart’s books were that expensive,” said Ginny, feeling annoyed all over again.

–Well, not quite, and it really depends on what your wand will be made of and how rare the wood or core is. They normally cost right around seven Galleons apiece,” her mum answered, –but since we didn’t have to get the books and combined with what we have left over saved from getting your cauldron so reduced, we should be able to buy you a wand from Olivanders.”

Ginny couldn’t believe her mum’s attitude change. Minutes ago she was admonishing her dad; now she seemed as giddy as Ginny felt about going through one of her first milestones to becoming a fully qualified witch.

They quickly made their way back down Diagon Alley and stopped in front of Olivanders. Inside was a boy who must’ve been Ginny’s age but wasn’t much bigger than herself, trying different wands. With him was a man and an even smaller boy, who had a camera hanging around his neck. Ginny’s mum poked her head inside, and Mr. Olivander beckoned them in. He showed them to a small waiting area and went back to his first customer. Ginny listened interestedly to what was going on inside.

–Now, how many ‘Galleons’ did you say I should be considering here?” asked the man kindly.

–I tell you what, since this is your family’s first time, I won’t have you pay absolutely no more than seven, no matter which wand chooses the boy,” said Mr. Olivander in his slow and whispery voice.

–Well, Dennis, can you stay here with Colin while I go and get them then?” said the man to the smaller boy. Turning back to Mr. Olivander he explained, –I had no idea how much to start out with so we’ve just been taking it as we go along.” He seemed to be the boys’ father.

Mr. Olivander shooed him away to Gringotts while he continued to pick wands for the older one, Colin, to try. Finally, while the father was still away, Colin took a wand from Mr. Olivander and his eyes lit up. Very excited, he waved the wand and red and gold sparks whooshed out the end of it.

–Very good! Yes indeed, that’s the one!” said Mr. Olivander, very exuberant that they had found a match.

–Dennis,” said Colin getting his little brother’s attention from Mr. Olivander, –Dennis, get the camera ready like I showed you, Dennis, and take a picture of me waving my new wand!”

Little Dennis brought the camera to his eye and focused it. Then he pointed at Colin with his hand that wasn’t going to click the camera button. Colin waved his new wand again until the sparks came out and Dennis snapped a picture.

–I can’t wait to see what it looks like!” exclaimed Colin.

–Okay, boys,” said Mr. Olivander. –I’m going to put you into the waiting room while I wait on young Miss Weasley now and we wait for your father to return.” He made to usher the boys to the seats that Ginny and her mum had just stood up from and then he turned to magically send all the boxes of wands he tried with Colin back to their places on the shelves.

Colin and Dennis watched starry-eyed as the boxes picked themselves up, sorted back to their rightful places, and softly set themselves back down in neat and orderly stacks. –I can take a picture of you with your new wand when one chooses you, if you like,” said Colin to Ginny.

Molly smiled at Colin. –Are you starting at Hogwarts this year, dear?”

–Yes, ma’am,” said Colin, glancing up at Molly.

–So is Ginny,” said her mum, nodding in her direction.

–I can take the picture now and give it to you at school when I see you after I develop it,” said Colin politely. –I’m going to develop these straight away. I want to remember everything about my first trip to Diagon Alley, huh, Dennis?” Dennis nodded, his eyes the size of saucers.

Charmed by little Dennis’s innocent wonder, Ginny agreed, –Okay, sure.”

–This way, Miss Ginevra,” said Mr. Olivander, bringing out a tape measure.

Delighted, the boys sat down to wait for their dad to return to pay for Colin’s wand and to watch Ginny get measured for her turn. Ron didn’t go to Olivanders last year, as Charlie gave him his old wand, and Ginny was only eight when the twins got theirs, but she had stayed home with her father and Ron that year. (Mum wouldn’t let the twins out of her sight yet at the time and together they were a handful). So while Mr. Olivander was looking through boxes to bring Ginny, she asked her mother, –Mum, how does Mr. Olivander know my name?”

Molly chuckled. –Mr. Olivander has been selling wands to everyone in the Weasley and Prewett family for generations now, Ginny. He’s probably been expecting you.” Her mum left it at that.

Mr. Olivander returned with a very short wand. Seeing Ginny eye its length, he began with that. –Seven inches, a beautiful Maple, phoenix feather. Give it a try.” Ginny saw her mum’s eyeballs bulge; maple wands were rare and very expensive.

Ginny began to wave it and handed it right back. It was nearly as wobbly as the switches her mum had her practice with. Molly sighed in mock relief making Ginny giggle. Mr. Olivander brought out another wand. –Blackthorn and dragon heartstring, 10¼ inches, swishy. A warrior’s wand.” Again, Ginny handed it back. –No?” said Mr. Olivander looking genuinely puzzled that the warrior wand didn’t choose her.

Ginny tried another, fir and phoenix feather, stiff, but not stiff enough. She shook her head and handed it back to Mr. Olivander. The next one was cherry, unicorn hair, thirteen inches, but again she handed it back to Mr. Olivander, who cried, –We’re getting closer!”

Mr. Olivander brought out more and more wands for Ginny to try. They made a much bigger pile than Colin had. She tried to figure out the pattern he was using to determine what sort of wand he would bring her next, but she didn’t know enough about wand woods to guess. She was at least pleased that Mr. Olivander seemed to figure out that she preferred a wand that wasn’t whippy. Colin and Dennis’s father returned, and when he noticed that Mr. Olivander was already in the depths of helping another customer, sat to patiently wait and watch with his sons.

Mr. Olivander came out from the back muttering to himself. Ginny caught the words –gentle lady” and –warrior heart” a fair few times before hearing him say, –Aha! Curious combination but it could work, in the right hands, it could work.”

Mr. Olivander brought out a box and opened it, this time letting Ginny take it out herself instead of handing it to her. The wand felt warm and alive in her hand, and it was the same exhilarating feeling you get during your first breath of fresh orchard air after spending hours in a dank basement. Ginny raised the wand and brought it slashing down to one side and a stream of red and gold sparks emitted. There was a flash and Colin lowered his camera. –I just knew that would be the one as soon as Mr. Olivander brought it out,” he said, grinning.

–Miss Weasley,” said Mr. Olivander. Ginny turned to look at him. –I want you to know that I have never sold a rowan wand and the owner later turn into a dark wizard. One needs to be pure of heart to be chosen by a rowan wand.”

–What’s inside it?” asked Ginny.

–Rowan, unicorn hair, 9¼ inches, and… hard,” said Mr. Olivander. –Miss Weasley, you should also know that I expect exceptional magic from this wand. In general the suppleness of a wand can be an indicator of a person’s willingness to change. In your case however I should hope that a pure heart will always prevail. Be that as it may, this is no simple little girl’s wand. A rowan wand is excellent for charm work, and very protective of its master. My dear, I wish to never have to face you in a duel.”

Ginny was a little starry-eyed herself after Mr. Olivander told her that little bit about her wand. Colin and Dennis’s dad paid for Colin’s wand and Molly paid for Ginny’s; then Mr. Olivander bowed all five of them out of his shop.

–Are you taking the Hogwarts Express on September first?” Colin asked Ginny once they were in Diagon Alley again.

–Yeah, most everyone does,” said Ginny, still thinking about what Mr. Olivander had said about her wand.

–Okay, I’ll see you then,” said Colin, –and I’ll bring you your picture too.” With that Colin waved goodbye good-naturedly and he and his little brother and his dad went off to explore the rest of Diagon Alley and finish his school shopping.

–Okay,” called Ginny. She’d forgotten about the picture in the wake of hearing the details of her wand. Remembering what Mr. Olivander had said about it being their first wand purchase in the family and that the dad had to go get more Galleons, Ginny asked her mum, –Were they Muggle-borns?”

Molly nodded her head. –Yes, how could they not be? The look of wonder on those boys’ faces when they watched Mr. Olivander do magic, absolutely endearing. Wizard families don’t get to see that with their children. You see magic as babes and it’s just part of ordinary life for you.”

–Is it safe, that he has a picture of me performing magic?” Ginny asked. Cleaning the fireplace was punishment enough, she didn’t want to ever come close to breaking the law again.

Molly smiled and nodded once more. –Even the Muggles in the boy’s family must abide by the International Statute of Secrecy now.”

It felt weird at first, knowing a person she just met would have a picture of her at their house. But she would see him again at school and take classes with him for the next seven years. She imagined many people in that time would have pictures of her at their homes by the end of it, and so she put the matter out of her mind.

Excited to try her wrist movements at home with her brand new wand, Ginny and her mum quickly made their way back to the Leaky Cauldron and took the Floo Network back to the Burrow.