Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Few Detentions and A Story by LaneTechFreshie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: Goodbyes, though sad and heartbreaking, must be said.

Aunt Michelle is really original reader GodivaLashes. Thanks!

Chapter Eighteen - Goodbye

This is going to be a long couple of days.

And James was right.

A funeral ceremony would be held that Sunday for both James’s parents and Lily’s. The few days before were spent in relative silence. Little things interrupted any hope of perfect peace, of course, but they did not have any classes to worry about, and they didn’t leave their common room much. They did eat in the Great Hall, and ignored the few stares from people around them. Many offered condolences, which were accepted with faint smiles and murmurs. A few of the younger Gryffindor girls”Mary MacDonald, Jane Robin, and Emma Longfellow”sent Lily a large bouquet of flowers they had conjured. Each petal glistened with magic, and they were all shaped differently, none of the actually flower-shaped.

James and Lily did spend most of the time together. James remembered what Josey said and regaled Lily with a few tales of his childhood. She laughed at the silly stories, and attempted to tell some of her own. Most of them were from before she found out about Hogwarts, when she and her older sister were still close. She had remained close to her parents, but their relationship was strained by the actions and feelings of her sister.

On Sunday, Lily and James dressed in plain black clothes of the Muggle variety. Their friends”the ones who had frequented their common room every day”did the same. Peter would not be coming, as he had a few remedial classes later that day. He did express his sadness, though, and even conjured flowers. James and Lily both knew that it was a feat for him; Lily accepted them with a hug for the shorter young man.

Right before lunch, they made their way to McGonagall’s office, where they would use the fireplace to Floo to a wizarding house near Lily’s home.

As they walked, James had his arm firmly around Lily. She looked sad, but she looked neat. He still was trying to answer the questions he had posed in his mind a day or two ago: Why do things like this always happen to the best of people? Try as he might, he was unable to come up with an answer.

When they arrived at the house, her eyes flooded over, and she turned into James’s chest. He held her close and let her tears soak into his black sweater. The others stood a bit apart, allowing the two a bit of privacy. As soon as Lily was able, the students walked into the house, where a family and friends were having brunch. Many came up to Lily and offered their condolences. She smiled faintly and greeted her family, most of whom she had not seen in quite some time.

James stood next to her, and he was introduced to many people. Quite a few comments about how handsome he was were made, all to which Lily merely smiled. Sirius and Nikeia, the only two Purebloods aside from James and Remus, walked around the house, examining all the Muggle things with amazement. Remus, who controlled himself, was the one to pull them away from the range in the kitchen were they were trying to figure out how to turn the burner on. A few of the Evanses’ friends were looking at them with raised eyebrow, not understanding their fascination. Frank and Alice, also pureblood, contented themselves with walking through the indoor garden at the back of the house, snacking on the various homemade food items.

Just when James could see that Lily was getting weary of all the talk, a woman approached them, smiling broadly. In his head, he imagined all the gushing she would do. He even imagined her pinching his cheek and enthusing over how handsome he was and asking if they’d set a date. He was surprised, then, when she embraced Lily without saying anything.

“You dear thing. I was heartbroken when I heard the news, but secretly happy that I’d get a chance to see you,” she admitted, pulling away and holding Lily at an arm’s length. Lily looked slightly surprised, but also happy.

“It’s nice to see you, too. It has been pretty long, hasn’t it?”

“My dear!” cried the woman, throwing up a hand in a dramatic gesture. “It’s been nearly three years! You were just a little thing when I last saw you. I hate that boarding school of yours for taking you away from me!”

Lily chuckled. “Don’t hate it. I love it; I’m very happy there.”

The woman raised an eyebrow. “Very well. I’ll just dislike it. Greatly.”

James chuckled, and decided that he definitely liked this woman. She was older, with a kind, lined face and graying curly hair.

He stood straight when she suddenly turned a keen gaze on him. “So, you must be the young man I’ve heard about,” said the elderly woman.
He began to stutter. The woman chuckled.

“Don’t worry. I do approve.” She leaned closer to Lily. “Tall, strapping, handsome. Bit thin, and he has very black hair that sticks up in the back, but overall, decent.”

Lily smiled somewhat tiredly. She had heard the same thing all day.

“But, I can imagine you’ve heard that before, haven’t you?” asked the woman. “I am sorry, Lily.”

She turned again to James. “I’m Michelle. I live just down the street. Lily and her sister would visit me when they were younger. We had grand tea parties and played dress-up.”

Lily blushed, and bit her lip. James noticed, and sniggered.

“Michelle,” murmured Lily, embarrassed.

“Oh, phew! It’s nothing to be ashamed of!” intoned Michelle, shaking Lily ever-so-slightly. “Though the time you tried on that old brassiere of my mother’s and then fell down the stairs in those ridiculous high heels was quite amusing!” Michelle was laughing by the time she finished.

Lily’s face turned even redder, and James attempted to bite back his laughter. A snort escaped however, and Lily glared at him.

“Oh, but I have embarrassed you, haven’t I? Do forgive me. Just an old lady’s memories from long ago.” She looked around. “Now, I did see a few other young men walking around; they were all quite attractive. I’d like to be introduced to them,” she said, almost flirtatiously. James decided he definitely liked her.

Suddenly, she threw up her hands again, and turning back to James, exclaimed, “Why I’ve forgotten to find out your name! How clumsy!”

James, whose face was still split into a smile at the memory Michelle brought up, nodded and gave his name.

James? Good name. My husband’s name. We were married forty years! And then he went and died; the silly old man.”

James and Lily both chuckled, then led Michelle to her other friends. They had all met in the garden by this time, tired of being looked at and questioned. They were introduced quickly, and Michelle even batted her eyes at Sirius. He went along with it very good naturedly, causing the group around to chuckle at the antics of the old lady and Sirius.

Eventually, they sobered and Michelle asked about Lily’s boarding school.

“It is wonderful,” James offered, holding Lily in front of him. “Almost magical.”

This got a slight chuckle from the Hogwarts students, but Michelle didn’t give it second thought. James felt when Lily chuckled, but could also feel her leaning heavily against him, using him as support.

“And how are Lily’s grades there? I’m not too caught up in all that fiddle-faddle. And I do feel sorry for this. I did want to write, but I was never able to get the address. Your parents always seemed rather surprised when I asked, as if they didn’t know the address themselves.” Michelle rolled her eyes and chuckled.
The teenagers joined in her amusement, even though they themselves didn’t know the school’s actual address, if it even had one.

“She’s the top of her class,” offered James. “Very smart and a favorite among a few of our teachers; especially Po- er...Chemistry.”

Sirius snorted at James’s almost slip.

“Ah, chemistry,” she sighed, looking through her eyelashes at James and Lily. Both of them blushed, not quite understanding the statement, but deducing that it was an allusion their relationship. “Such a beautiful thing. When I first met my James there were sparks.” She sighed again, happily remembering.

Sirius scoffed. “I’m sure there were fireworks when I first saw you,” he said silkily, with his smirk.

Michelle batted her eyelashes at him”actually batted her eyelashes!”then roared with laughter, and turned to Nikeia. “You better watch this one dear! He’s quite the charmer!” She continued to chuckle as Nikeia elbowed Sirius in the stomach.

Silence fell for a few moments, with everyone enjoying the silence of the hothouse.

Lily spoke first, softly. “Michelle, do you know what will happen now? I mean, to my… to my parents.”

Michelle looked to Lily with such an expression of love that Lily left James’s embrace and entered Michelle’s.

“They’ll be buried tomorrow morning, my dear. I heard that you would not be able to make it?”

Lily shook her head against the woman’s shoulder.

“Don’t worry, pet. They know you loved them dearly. It was enough to see you here. Thank you for coming out.”

“I wouldn’t have missed it,” uttered Lily, softly. Her eyes started watering again.

Michelle just stroked her hair for a moment.

Then, a voice called, “Michelle!” A tall, slender woman entered the hothouse, and glanced around. She froze when she saw the group of people. James realized that this was Petunia, Lily’s older sister. She had brown hair, and a rather long face. She was dressed impeccably in what James assumed was her finest dress.

“Oh, you’re here,” she said, rather coldly when she saw Lily, who had quickly reached up to wipe her tears away.

The younger Evans stepped from Michelle’s embrace, and faced her sister.

“Yes, I came in for the day.”

Petunia sniffed, and looked at the other teenagers. “Are these other freaks like you?”

“Petunia!” cried Michelle, aghast.

Sirius stepped forward with a clenched fist, but Remus stopped him with an arm across his chest.

“Yes, Petunia. These are my friends from school.” Lily took a deep breath, and curled her arm around James’s. “This is James; the others guys are Remus, Sirius and Frank. Josey, Nikeia and Alice are my dear girlfriends.”

Petunia didn’t respond. “What happened to the other one?”

Lily looked at Petunia with a quizzical brow. “Who?”

“The one that… Never mind.”

She turned suddenly, as another man approached her from behind. She smiled, and pulled him forward. “This is Vernon Dursley.” She paused, then said in a haughty tone, “We’re engaged.”

Lily gasped, “Petunia! Congratulations.”

Petunia and Vernon smiled ever so slightly.

James approached the other man”though he didn’t let go of Lily’s hand”smiling kindly. He extended a hand.

Vernon looked at him with a raised eyebrow, but accepted.

Petunia looked shocked. “Vernon, this are friends of Lily’s from that school of hers.”

Quickly, Vernon released James’s hand. “I see,” he murmured, almost disgustedly. James did not react but to stiffen slightly.

“Well, I really don’t understand what’s so wrong with Lily’s school, Petunia. You’re being quite rude,” opined Michelle.

Petunia looked to Michelle, and Lily noticed that she looked slightly sheepish. She didn’t say anything else on the matter, however. She did finally step into the hothouse (James noticed that it didn’t seem like Vernon would fit through the door, and indeed he didn’t try) and walked over to Michelle.

“I was coming to find you. I heard you were here.” She bent down to hug the shorter woman. Michelle returned the hug. As Petunia and Michelle started talking, the Hogwarts students gathered together. Vernon was pointedly ignoring them.

Sirius sneered. “Rude Muggles.”

“Sirius,” scolded Remus.

Lily shrugged. “It doesn’t matter,” she said, wearily. “I’ve dealt with it for so long… And now she’s engaged to that hippopotamic landmass!”

“Is that even a word?” asked Josey.

“Whether it is or isn’t, it sounds mean,” replied Sirius, smirking. “And I like it.”

They laughed until James looked down at his watch and said, “It’s about time we got back to the Floo point.”

They sobered quickly with the realization that they now had to go to the visitation and burial for the Potters. They began leaving the hothouse (filing past and ignoring Mr. Vernon “Landmass” Dursley), until James and Lily were the last ones.

“Michelle, Petunia…” started Lily, taking a step toward them. “It’s time for us to go. James’s parents, um…Well, they also….”

Michelle caught her stumbling, glanced at James and seemed to understand what Lily was trying to say. She quickly walked over to James. Embracing him, she said, “Oh my dear! I didn’t know! I am sorry to hear about that! What happened?”

James was slightly off-guard, but he recovered enough to say, “They caught a sickness. They passed on the same day as Mr. and Mrs. Evans.”
Michelle laid a hand on his cheek. “Then you watch over Lily, and I’m sure she’ll watch over you.”

James smiled down at the woman, and embraced her again.

While this exchange was happening, Lily and Petunia were looking at each other.

“Well, ‘bye, Tuney.”

“Yes, well, I’m not sure when I’ll see you again. I’m planning on living with Vernon, in Little Whinging.”

“Again, congratulations.”

Petunia shifted in her high heels, and wrung her hands. “Well, you better go. Wouldn’t want you to miss anything else.”

Lily smiled faintly and nodded.

Michelle took her hand, and walked her and James (whom she had by the other hand) out of the greenhouse.

Lily was forced to say more goodbyes, and give more hugs. Finally, they were all standing in the small foyer, with their coats on, ready to leave.
Lily seemed hesitant to go. James noticed this and whispered, “Lily? What’s wrong?”

“Oh…nothing, I suppose. Just wondering if…” She glanced down the hallway into the main part of the house.

“Wondering if your sister will see you off?”

Lily smiled meekly. “Silly idea, right?”

They were still whispering, and though the others could probably hear, they were not letting on.

“No, I don’t think it’s a silly idea. But we do have to go.”

She nodded and Sirius opened the front door.

The students left the house, and Lily was the one to close the door again.

They had just gotten onto the main sidewalk, when someone from behind called Lily’s name.

Lily turned around quickly.

Standing there was Petunia, without a coat. Lily walked back to her sister who would not meet her eyes.

“Yes, Petunia?” asked Lily.

“I didn’t, um... really say goodbye.” Petunia looked down at her feet. “I know it was your kind that did this; everyone else was told they just passed in their sleep, somehow.” She paused, breathing heavier. “I am not forgiving you entirely for that, but… I suppose I can at least wish you well.”

“And I, you,” Lily responded. “Vernon seems like a nice man, you’ll be happy.”

Petunia finally looked up and scoffed, a faint smile on her face. “You’ve never liked Vernon. Don’t pretend that you do.”

Lily chuckled, and tried to clear the air. “No! I do, sort of, like him. He’s… he’s very ambitious and hard-working!”

Petunia was looking at her with a raised eyebrow, the same slightly amused smile on her face. “He is hard-working. I will be taken care of.” She glanced at James, who was standing back a bit. “Your man looks decent enough.”

It was Lily’s turn to scoff. “Now you’re the one pretending.”

Petunia held her gaze. “Well…” was all she said.

“Ah,” gave Lily simply. “Well, then, I guess this is the- well, the end.” Lily glanced down at her feet. “Bye,” was all she said, as she turned again.

As Lily walked off, she could hear Petunia returning up the drive. But, before they had gotten half the distance, they both turned to look back.

Their eyes met, and they walked briskly back to each other. The sisters embraced, tears making salty tracks down their cheeks that were burned with cold.
After a minute, Petunia and Lily broke apart, nodded once, and then turned and walked back to their friends.

And as they walked, not to turn back, they both whispered three small words at the same time.

“I love you.”

-----


Professor McGonagall met the Hogwarts students at their Floo point. The witch that owned the house would come with them, having known the Potters for a few years.

Roles reversed, and James spent a great deal of time by his own fireplace to greet everyone coming to the funeral. They shook his hand or kissed his cheek, and offered condolences. They nodded and were introduced to Sirius and Lily, both of whom stood just behind James. The others had been given leave to walk around the house. Josey, Nikeia and Alice were wide-eyed as soon as they stepped out of the fireplace.

Various Ministry officials showed up, and Dumbledore, too, came through the fireplace, stooping so his tall spangled hat did not become covered in ash.
Eventually, all visitors were asked to enter the garden, where the burial would take place. As they walked out the door into the garden behind the last person, Lily turned to James.

“James, I am sorry that I am acting so childish when you are going through the same thing as I am-”

James didn’t let her finish. “What? What are you talking about?”

“I should be stronger, for myself and for you, but I can’t!” She leaned into James’s arms, crying, and he stroked her hair, whispering soothingly into her ear. She again let most of her weight fall onto James, and he gladly held her close.

The Potters’ funeral was quiet, with a few people offering words of remembrance as they stood over the two marble-marked graves. They were buried in a small corner of the garden, among the daisies, for those were Samantha Potter’s favorite flower. James watched, tears sliding slowly down his wind-blown cheeks.

The weather had remained cold, and James thought it fitting. The sun shouldn’t shine to its fullest on a day of a funeral: wind and coldness should be sent to blow away the feelings of dread and anger. James felt that this somehow worked for after Dumbledore and McGonagall both spoke, James felt not quite as angry as he had before.

When everything was said and done, James placed a few daisies atop the graves, and turned away. Remus, Sirius, Lily and many other members of the Potters’ circle of friends did the same with other flowers.

McGonagall came up to James, laid her hand on his shoulder, and spoke: “James, the Headmaster and I should get back to the school, but you can take as long as you want.” She offered a kind smile as she squeezed his shoulder, and then turned and walked back into the big house. Dumbledore nodded to him, and followed McGonagall.

Lily came up to James and wrapped her arms around his waist. He rested his head on hers, and again held her up. This time, however, she was offering just as much support to him.

About two hours later, after the mourners had gone, and the two women who brought refreshments had cleaned up, Remus approached James and Lily, who had taken up seats on a wrap-around bench underneath a giant oak tree.

“Guys, we should get back to the school,” Remus spoke softly. He offered his hands to James and Lily and pulled them to their feet.

They all appeared back in McGonagall’s office a few minutes later, having Flooed from James’s home fire.. They brushed themselves off before stepping onto her fine Oriental rug. McGonagall looked up and smiled as they left her room.

James’s and Lily’s common room became the destination for the group, and everyone collapsed into the armchairs or onto the soft carpet, watching the dancing flames; not talking, not speaking, just holding onto each other, never to let go.