Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Few Detentions and A Story by LaneTechFreshie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: With the Masquerade in a few days, everyone heads to Hogsmeade in search of costumes.

Chapter Twenty-Eight – Hogsmeade

The day for the special Hogsmeade trip dawned bright and pretty—if not chilly—and seemed to mock the snow on the ground. The previous two weeks had been no different from any other weeks—other than that they were not as eventful. Classes, meals, and homework were the main focuses, which meant that everyone was grateful for the Hogsmeade day. They would have no more classes for the rest of the year, and they would have a ball as well. Everyone was happy.

The school was going into the village in shifts by year. Each group was allowed one hour inside the costume store, and whatever time they didn’t spend in the store, they could spend wandering around the village.

The students in the courtyard watched the rather small group of first and second year kids smile and dance around as they came back from Hogsmeade. When Lily—standing with her friends, James and the other Marauders—caught sight of Monica, she beckoned her over to the side. Josey and Alice saw, and quickly surrounded the first year.

“So, what did you get?” Lily asked. Making sure no one could see, Monica pulled from her large bag a bright white, full-sleeved shirt, a skirt of vibrant magenta, a sash of robin’s egg blue, a fringed shawl of colors so bright and varied Lily found herself blinking rapidly, and a pair of yellow slippers.

“Oh, Monica! What amazing colors!” gushed Josey, feeling the fabrics.

“Yeah, I did see something else that I loved, but when we decided to—my friends and I—to coordinate, I fell in love with this! I am so glad that first years are able to go!” Her statement was echoed in her facial expression.

“I’m glad we decided that, too,” admitted Lily, smiling. “What are you guys all dressing up as?”

Monica smiled devilishly. “You’ll see.”

Lily tossed her a look. “Well, are you still going to go with your girlfriends?”

Monica nodded. “Yeah. Boys are so silly at this age. When they heard that we all were dressing up like each other, they decided to jump in and do the same thing! Boys are so silly at this age 
”

The three older girls laughed at the repeated—and very wise—statement, looking over their shoulders at the seventh year boys.

“They don’t get much better as they get older,” teased Lily.

“And, don’t you think that’s a bit flattering? To have them take your idea?” asked Alice, her head cocked to one side.

“Or cheating,” was all Monica said in response. The girls laughed again.

“I would’ve thought you’d like to go with Sam,” teased Josey, pulling a lock of Monica’s hair.

Monica pulled a face. “He’s a good friend, but I don’t feel that way about him.” The wind had reddened her cheeks, so it was difficult to see the faint blush that touched her cheeks, but not impossible.

The older girls shared a look and just nodded at Monica, knowing that their teasing was very easy to spot. Monica scoffed, rolled her eyes and threw them her favorite “I can’t believe you guys” look.

A girl called out to Monica, who smiled broadly at the other girls before skipping off to join her friends.

The seventh years shared another laugh, and then linked arms to walk back to the guys.

As they reached them, James called out to Samuel, who was walking with a few of his friends.

The tall eleven year old made his way over to the group.

“Did you find anything?” asked James.

“No, James, I just have a bag in my hand to carry air around,” said Sam sarcastically.

James threw his hands up in surrender as the others laughed.

“All right, easy there. Going with anyone special?” he asked.

Sam threw him such an honest “I really don’t care” look that they all laughed again.

“What? Can’t find anyone that likes you? Even a little bit?”

“It took you long enough to find a girl to take your arrogance,” retorted Sam, without batting an eye.

Everyone but James barked in laughter, thoroughly amused with this kid. James’s face was almost without expression; an ever-so-faint smirk was slyly sitting on his lips.

“All right, punk,” said James. “Forget what I said about the Quidditch thing.”

Again, Sam hardly reacted to the almost threat. “I’ll try out and get on the team without your help then. Your word isn’t that important.” Sirius and Remus snorted in response to that.

James continued to look at Sam, who didn’t break eye contact. Then, James reached out and ruffled Sam’s hair before gently shoving him away from the group, saying, in a voice filled with affection: “Go on, get out of here. We don’t need your smartness.”

Sam stumbled from the shove, but threw a broad smile over his shoulder as he walked away.

“Merlin, that kid
” James trailed off, but everyone understood him.

“He and Monica would look cute together,” said Josey.

“Now, don’t play matchmaker,” urged Remus. “They’ll figure it out on their own.”

Suddenly, a cold mass hit the back of James’s head. He spun around, holding the back of his head, and somehow knew that it was Sam who had thrown the snowball. Sure enough, Sam was standing on the step, his one bag lying beside a hole in the snow. A daring smirk was on the young face.

James couldn’t resist. He picked up a handful of snow, which he then whipped across the courtyard.

Sam nimbly ducked out of the way of the snowball that was perfectly aimed for his torso.

“What did you say you were going to try out for?” asked James, picking up another snowball.

Sam reached for his own ball of snow, and shouted: “I was thinking Keeper.”

James scoffed. “Just make sure you stop the Quaffle; you can’t let it fly by you like that.”

Sam smiled. “Then I’ll just take your spot.”

James patted the snowball, and made a “tsking” sound. “You can’t let Quaffles go by you as a Chaser, either.” He threw the snowball.

Sam caught it neatly against his chest, smirking.

James laughed, and threw another snowball.

And so, a snowball fight was started. It grew until nearly everyone inclined to snowball fights was involved. The teachers tactfully stayed out of the action by standing on the steps, though a few students would swear they had seen Flitwick enchant more than a few chunks of snow to zoom into the fight.

Thanks to an advanced and expanded Warming Charm cast by Lily, Alice and Remus, the fight lasted nearly two hours. Large snow-forts were erected half by hand, half by magic. Teams formed, further broken into two halves; one for packing snowballs, and another for shooting them. Grunts, screams, and laughter permeated the quad completely. As different groups left to go to Hogsmeade, the fighting force thinned out. Eventually, a truce was called when it became time for the seventh years to leave.

McGonagall appeared on the steps of the school. She looked at the two forts, then looked to the Marauders. They all shrugged guiltily. When a smile tugged at the tips of McGonagall’s mouth, the four sevenths years knew they weren’t going to get points taken.

They didn’t know that McGonagall would send four snowballs to collide with their faces.

-----


Inside Edgar’s Enchanted Emporium of Fashion, the seventh year were milling about happily, going through racks of clothing and giggling. Even the boys would admit (quietly, of course) that they were enjoying the shop.

It was a rather plain looking building from the outside, looking as if it was made in the Tudor style. The interior (decorated with wooden floors, off-white walls and a few tapestries) was quite spacious, with a second level rising above the first near the back of the shop. At the back of the upper level were individual stalls for changing. Racks of apparel and small accessories were everywhere, with each era or time period separated from another. An entire wall was covered in shoes; a moving ladder allowed one to reach the top shelves.

“Lily!” called James helplessly. Lily turned away from the racks of gowns, and returned to her boyfriend.

“What is it?”

“I don’t know what to wear.” He was simply staring at the array of male attire.

Lily smiled faintly at his bewilderment. Glancing around, she notices shirts of various colors, all of which had full sleeves and laced up to the collar. “I kind of like this style. Reminds me of a pirate.”

James gave the shirt an assessing look, and then nodded. “I think I could play a pirate rather well.” And with that, he began to turn through the hanging shirts. “Are we supposed to match? What color are you going to wear?”

“I was thinking green...”

“Mm... yeah, that will look good with your eyes.” James turned away from the shirts to look into Lily’s eyes. He leaned forward to gently kiss her forehead. They smiled at each other for a moment before Lily went back to the dresses. James watched her go, figuring he was the luckiest man on the face of the earth.

---


“Hey, Lily! What do you think of this?” asked Josey, coming toward her from the high portion of the shop. She was carrying a deep-salmon colored gown.

“That’s beautiful,” gushed Lily. “You know, I think I saw something that you could wear with that.” Lily spun around, and walked over to a stand of accessories. She pulled a hair comb off the shelf. Josey grabbed it with wide eyes, which were averted as soon as they saw another comb. Lily rolled her eyes and left Josey to ‘ooh’ and ‘aah’ over the multitude of combs.

“Lily?” called Alice, from behind the redhead. “Do you like this?” Alice asked, holding up an ivory colored gown, with a blue belt. Lily nodded and told Alice to try it on.

As Alice walked off again, Lily went back to looking for her own gown. Soon, she found a gown in dark green velvet, edged in bands of dark brown. The v-shaped collar ended at an empire waist.

Her eyes widened in adoration as she held it before her. She noticed the two tags attached to the arm; one stated that it would automatically fit, and the second was the rather steep price tag. The next moment however, she fell even more in love with enchanted stores; the price dropped quite a few galleons. She figured the owner could afford a price drop after all the business he was doing this day. She clutched the gown to her chest as she walked to the dressing rooms.

It was then that Alice came out. Her gown also sported a high waist (enhanced by the silk waistband), as well as delicate embroidery. Short, puffed sleeves completed the gown. Lily smiled, and said, “It looks absolutely adorable!”

Alice smiled at Lily through the mirror and continued to look at the fall of the gown.

Lily stepped into her own stall, changed from her Muggle clothes, and sighed at the promised perfect fit.

Alice only had praises for the gown when she stepped from the stall. “That looks fantastic, Lily! I’m so happy I was able to find something on the first try. I usually don’t like shopping. So, this is quite wonderful, even if it is just because the store’s enchanted.”

Lily nodded agreement, and the two girls smiled at each other’s reflections.

“Ladies, you look amazing!” said a suave voice from their left. Alice and Lily turned quickly to face Sirius, who was leaning against the wall. He had a smile on his face, and Lily was happy to see one. She bobbed a curtsy and thanked him. Alice followed her lead, and they were both surprised when Sirius bowed dramatically, pretending to whisk off a hat.

Josey emerged from the stall next to him, and he bowed again, wolf-whistling playfully. Josey curtsied and walked over to the mirror. The gown’s square neckline was edged in white lace, and was cut lower than Lily would’ve been comfortable wearing. The bodice had lacing up the front. The red-orange color of the gown perfectly contrasted her blue eyes and added an allure to Josey. The hair comb that she settled on fastened her impromptu bun. “What are you going to wear, Sirius?” asked Alice, once she and Lily had commented on Josey’s look.

He shrugged.

“Well, ladies, I think we should go and help Sirius pick out something,” said Alice.

All three girls smiled in such a way that Sirius muttered, “Oh dear.”

---


Remus was standing in front of shelves of well-cut eighteenth century jackets when James came up beside him. “Any luck?” he asked.

James held up his arms. Slung over one of them were a white shirt and a pair of dark green pants. In the other hand, black boots were being held by their folded down tops. A dark green velvet cloak was draped over the same arm. Remus sighed.

“How about you?” inquired James.

“Well, looking at this little pamphlet-” he held up the folded parchment- “I’ve found I rather like this eighteenth century look.” He showed James the picture of a man wearing breeches, stockings and buckled shoes, completed by a cravat and a long-tailed fitted jacket. “I just don’t know what color jacket I like.”

“Well, if you want my opinion
” started James, shifting his clothes to one arm.

Remus raised an eyebrow.

“I would go for this
.” James held up a coat of sea-green taffeta.

Remus looked from the coat to James and back to the coat. “I don’t think that color works.”

James just smirked. “Really? Well, I think it’s a perfect color for you, but
 let’s ask the girls’ opinion.” James looked toward the dressing rooms, and then let out a sound of approval. “Here they come.” He waited until they reached them, then asked about a color for Remus.

All three girls glanced a Remus, then began scanning the shelves. At the same moment, they all reached for a midnight-blue jacket with pewter-grey buttons. They chuckled at their unanimous decision. Lily pulled it off the shelf and handed it to Remus.

Remus looked down at the coat, and back up at the girls. “Well, if you all like it, I supposed I can’t argue.”

“And Iso liked the green,” sighed James, replaced the coat (unfolded) on the shelf. Lily exhaled sharply and refolded the coat.

“Are you matching with someone, Remus?” asked Josey.

“What do you mean?” he responded.

“I mean, who are you going with?”

“Kayla Avilla, the other Gryffindor prefect. We didn’t have anyone to go with, so we just thought we’d go together.”

James nodded. “She is a nice girl.”

Lily rolled her eyes. Then, her eyebrows came together. “Josey, now that I think about it, who are you going with?”

“Antoine Wood,” Josey said, almost as if she was waiting for them to say something. “He asked me to go a few days after the announcement was made. He was just so handsome, I couldn’t say no. He’s also a great guy,” she told everyone, in response to their exasperated sighs and eye-rolling, lest they think she was all about the looks.

Suddenly, Lily gasped, “Shoes!”

The other girls gasped in unison. All three took off for the wall that was covered in shoes.

Sirius watched them go with his hands akimbo.

“Oi! What about me?” he called after the girls. Lily called back over her shoulder: “We’ll be right back!”

“What was that all about?” asked Frank, coming up behind Remus.

“Well, apparently the girls still need shoes,” answered Remus.

“Well I caught that much, thanks,” retorted Frank. He shifted the load in his arms, and revealed a cobalt blue jacket, black pants and calf-high boots of black. An ivory shirt sleeve poked out from under the load as well. “I was talking about Sirius.”

“I need clothes and the girls were going to help me pick something out,” supplied Sirius, speaking a bit louder than necessary, hoping that his voice would carry over to the girls.

“Well, I’m going to go and pay for this stuff. Coming, Moony? Frank?” asked James, pointing towards the front of the store. Remus nodded, as did Frank.

“Oh, gee, thanks, mates!” said Sirius sarcastically. James, Frank and Remus waved their hands over their heads. Sirius growled at them. Figuring he might as well do something, he began to look at the stacks of pants in front of him.

Fifteen minutes later, Sirius had a pair of dark brown pants and near-black boots in his hand. The girls came back to him as he was looking for a shirt.

“Ah, found shoes?” he asked, looking at their smiling faces. Again in unison, they held up boxes with dainty pairs of slippers that would match their gowns. Sirius nodded in approval, then showed them his items, which were scrutinized.

“I like the style. I’m not so sold on the color,” Josey admitted.

The other girls nodded somewhat regretfully, disliking that they were negating his past fifteen minutes. He shrugged good-naturedly.

“How about this?” Alice held up a grayish blue shirt with full sleeves—though not quite as full as James’s. Lily nodded.

“Oh, that’ll look good, but this might look better...” said Josey. She whipped a black shirt from a nearby bar and held it up.

Sirius’s eyes seemed to light up. Lily made an “ooh-ing” sound of approval.

“Well, then, how about these dark grey pants, and
” started Alice.

“And tall black boots,” finished Lily.
Sirius held out his arms to accept the new clothing. However, his brow furrowed. He looked back at the stacks of pants, and managed to work the grey pants off his arm. He picked up a pair of black ones. He looked back at the girls for their approval. When they realized he desired to live up to his surname, their faces broke into broad smiles.

“Well, I’m going to go try all this on,” said Sirius, enjoying the attention of these three girls. “Prepare to be amazed.”

They laughed, and watched him walk off, though “strut” might be more accurate.

As he did so, Lily noticed a set of masks over to her left. Her eyes widened, and she called out to Sirius to wait. Lily grabbed one of the jet-black masks and ran back to Sirius. He smirked, and then dashed up the few steps. The three young women followed him at a slower pace, admiring the other gowns.

When they reached the back of the shop, Sirius was done and standing in front of the mirror. With a flourish, he turned around, tightening the bandana-mask around his head. He struck a dashing pose and smirked. The girls clapped and nodded their approval.

“Now all we need is a sword...” Alice’s voice trailed away when a glint of sliver caught her eye. She handed her two boxes to Josey, ran back to the front of the shop and returned with a belted sword in her hands. From over Alice’s shoulder, Lily saw James notice the swords and his eyes widened. She chuckled and watched as Sirius buckled the sword over his left hip. Sirius smiled so brightly that Lily could’ve thought he was a child in a candy store. She laughed out loud and everyone else joined in.

“You’d make a dreadfully wonderful pirate
” commented Lily.

Sirius smirked again and brandished his thin rapier. The girls laughed at his playful manner; they were extremely happy to see that he was back to his normal self.

As Sirius returned to the dressing stall, Josey whispered: “If I didn’t have a crush on Antoine, I’d be head-over-heels for Sirius. He looked too good to be true in that outfit.”

Lily nodded, and Alice sighed deeply in agreement.

Then they heard soft laughter, and each turned a bright shade of red. Sirius came out of the room, his selection in a magically provided box. He went up to each girl and kissed her cheek.

"Those doors should be sound-proof!" said Alice, though she was laughing. Everyone else joined in her laughter, and turned to the front of the store.

After paying for their new clothes, the seven wizards walked out of the shop, all carrying thick bags like old flour sacks embossed with the store’s emblem. At Frank’s request, they entered Madam Rosmerta’s, which was warm and crowded with Hogwarts seven years. The seven friends found seats at a large circular table in the corner; James and Lily went up to the bar to order their drinks.

“Oh, why, ‘ullo James!” called Madam Rosmerta, the pretty bar maid. “And Miss Lily. I heard that you two are now an item... Is this true?”

Lily nodded sheepishly as James put his arm possessively around her.

“Why, dear Merlin! I remembered one day a few years ago—seven butterbeers, I presume?—when you two came in here and you, James, must’ve been annoying dear Lily something fierce, and Lily—why! You threw your drink right in his face!” Rosmerta chuckled as she removed the tops of seven butterbeers.

Both Lily and James blushed with the memory. James even reached up to rub his cheek as if remembering the feeling of the bottle hitting him.

“Well, never mind. It’s in the past. Now, where’s that little one—Peter? I know he’s not that short.”

Lily and James looked at each other just realizing that they hadn’t seen Peter in a while.

“I don’t know. What did happen to Peter?”

“I’m not sure. He did come with us to Hogsmeade, did he?” asked James, surprised and ashamed that he hadn’t noticed the absence of a Marauder.

“Oi, James!” called Sirius. “Look who just showed up!” Peter was standing next to Sirius’s chair.

“Look who just showed up!” echoed Lily with a smile.

“Well, at least you didn’t hurt the poor thing,” Rosmerta said with a wink as she placed another bottle on the tray as she pushed it towards James. He laid down the price and walked away.

“Wormtail!” he cried, as he got closer. “Where in the world have you been?”

“Oh, I’ve been here in Hogsmeade.”

“Really? Where?” asked Josey.

“In the book store. I did come with you guys, but I didn’t need robes, so I just went book-browsing.”

“What did you get?” asked Lily, always eager about books. Peter pulled a book from inside his coat, which he handed to Lily.

“I needed it for Muggle Studies,” offered Peter, when Lily looked quizzically up from the cover of the book about Muggle life.

“Oi,” muttered Sirius. “I don’t know why you took that class.”

“Well, I needed it to fill out my schedule. It’s not a bad class. It’s actually rather fascinating the way Muggles-”

“Okay, okay, Peter! We don’t need a lecture. It is Saturday, after all,” said Sirius, waving a hand to break off Peter’s flow of words.

“Wait, what do you mean you don’t need robes? You are going, aren’t you?” asked Josey. Peter shrugged.

“Of course, you are! We’re going to walk you back to the shop and you’re going to choose an outfit,” cried Sirius. Peter looked slightly worried, but his face cleared when James clapped a hand to his shoulder.

“It’s all right. We won’t let Sirius do anything dangerous,” reassured James. Everyone else laughed and continued to drink their butterbeers.

Back in Edgar’s, they found Peter an outfit of brown pants, buckled shoes, white shirt and a copper-colored vest. The group was exiting the store for the second time when James and Sirius passed the rows of hats. Lily laughed when they turned to the girls with wide eyes, each holding a hat.

“Great minds think alike,” said Lily, nodding to her boyfriend and dear friends. Alice leaned in and finished the statement: “And fools seldom differ.”

All three girls burst into titters of laughter. James and Sirius raised their eyebrows in confusion at the laughter, as they hadn’t heard the quote, but pushed the hats on their heads.

They turned to the girls for approval, and got laughter and grimaces.

Lily shook her head apologetically as she traded the rather comical cowboy hat Sirius had put on for a wide-brimmed one in jet-black. The brim curved up on one end and was finished with a long red feather. Needless to say, the way it covered Sirius’s eye caused the girls to sigh pleasantly.

Lily reached around James and grabbed a hat in a similar style. The deep green felt and brown feather matched his costume, and James was happy again. Well, after Lily treated him to a deep kiss, he was happy.

They said good-bye to the happy—and now rich—shopkeeper and started on their way back to Hogwarts. Sirius brought up the subject of the Christmas break.

“So, Lily. Since you’re James’s girlfriend, are you going to stay in Hogwarts over the break?”

“Well, I’m staying not because of James, but because I don’t really have anywhere else to go.” responded Lily curtly. “I don’t have a home to go home to, and I am sure my sister doesn’t want me to stay with her and her fat fiancĂ©e Vernon.”

“Oh, Lily, I’m sorry.” And Sirius certainly sounded like it. Lily swayed slightly so that she bumped into him. She smiled up at him, and leaned into his one-armed embrace. “Good. You’re staying with us. Wonderful. I don’t have anywhere to go; we can have fun together.” Lily and James nodded in agreement with Sirius’s words.

“I’m staying, too. My parent’s are away in the south of France on a well-earned vacation,” stated Remus.

“Oh, of course, they are!” said James. “After dealing with you and your furry little problem!”

Remus’s shot a glare at James. Lily look puzzled, but then she remember Remus’s lycanthropy and finally understood James’s years-old joke.

“You know,” started Josey, “I’ve never been able to figure out why you own a rabbit!”

Remus sighed. “Oh, yeah. Well, I found it when I was younger and it has been blessed with a long life and a bad temperament.” Remus looked over to James as if he was ready to push him into the snow. Lily snickered from between James and Sirius, her arms entwined with theirs.

Josey noticed the picture possibility, and ran ahead to engage a charm that took a still picture of the threesome. She just as quickly moved back to the second row of seventh years. They continued on as if nothing had happened.

“Well, I still would think you would have a dog, or something like that,” admitted Alice, snuggling a bit closer to Frank.

“Well, I do have a dog,” said Remus. “He even worse behaved than the rabbit.” With this, Remus shot a meaningful to Sirius, who merely smiled and started skipping along the snow-covered road. As Lily and James were ‘attached’ to Sirius, they started to skip as well. “His name is Snuffles,” added Remus in answer to Josey’s next question. Remus looked ahead at his three friends skipping along the path, and shook his head, laughing softly. If anything, he would look forward to the Christmas break with James and Lily and Sirius.

“Peter, are you staying?” he asked. Peter shook his head. “Really? Why?”

“Um, my parents want to take advantage of some gift they got and go on a vacation, too.”

“Ah. What about you; Frank, Alice and Josey?” All three of them shook their heads.

“My parents want to spend this Christmas together. I guess the whole Voldemort thing has really shaken them up,” admitted Frank. Alice nodded and claimed that the same was for her.

“I really don’t want to leave Lily here, but I do want to spend time with my family,” sighed Josey. She bent down and picked up some snow. She giggled and as she packed the snow, she looked ahead to where Sirius, James and Lily were walking. (They had stopped skipping as Sirius wouldn’t skip in rhythm.) She threw the snowball at Lily, and then ducked behind Frank.

Frank held up his hands in an “I’m innocent” sort of look when Lily turned around. She raised an eyebrow, and Frank subtly moved his head to tell her that Whoever Threw the Snowball was standing behind him. Lily nodded, and picked up her own snowball. As she hurled it, Frank jumped out of the way, and it got Josey right on her head. Lily laughed triumphantly, and turned back around to skip some more with Sirius and James.

Josey brushed the snow off of her head and glared at the Traitor Frank. She kicked some snow up at him. Frank just laughed and put his arm around Alice, who put her arm around Remus and started skipping. Josey glared after them before laughing and running to catch up, Peter beside her.


.
Chapter Endnotes: Gosh, this is a long chapter. As I went through it for re-editing, I tried to trim some stuff, but I couldn’t quite cut it down any. Heck
 I might have made it longer. Oh, bother. *checks* No
 HA! Got rid of over eight hundred words (roughly). Wow. How did I do that!?

Thanks for Quiditchfan for suggesting the addition of the “great minds” line. I had written it in a response to a review of hers, and thought it would great to add in.