Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Few Detentions and A Story by LaneTechFreshie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: And finally the Masquerade commences.

Kayla is I_WiSh_I_WeRe_a_MaRaUdEr. Lantern, MrsPadfoot19, and honeydukeschololate are readers who have the distintion of being Laila, Amanda and Alyssa.

Chapter Thirty-One – Masquerade

Long before Nikeia’s visitors reached the Gryffindor common room, Josey began skipping a bit faster, nearly tugging James’s arm from his shoulder in her eagerness to get to her date, Antoine. James laughed at her, unlinking his arm and shoving her forward when they finally turned the corner in sight of the portrait. She giggled and ran forward to find the member of the Quidditch team that had asked her to the ball.

Sam and Monica ran off to find their own friends. Lily followed them with her eyes, impatient to see the other first years that had dressed up as gypsies. She was not disappointed. They looked as adorable as she imagined, even if they looked far cleaner and neater than gypsies were traditional known to be. The boys all wore brightly and delightfully clashing combinations of vests, shirts and breeches. Monica’s girlfriends looked cute and charming in full skirts, dainty slippers, fringed shawls and colorful headbands. Lily was almost sad to see that none of them carried tambourines.

Remus found Kayla, who looked stunning in a dusky blue corseted dress, decorated with small pearls and embroidery. He gallantly offered his arm, and walked her back to James and Lily, Frank and Alice, and Peter.

Josey and Antoine joined them looking rather entranced with each other, if Josey’s blush and giddy smile was any indication. Antoine’s wide eyes and silly smile gave away his excitement and adoration. His champagne-colored jacket, brown knee-length pants, white stockings and golden-buckled shoes emphasized his tanned skin, curly brown hair and green eyes.

“Sorry we kept you waiting for so long, Antoine,” offered Lily.

Antoine nodded. “It’s all right; it’s only been a few minutes anyway. Josey mentioned that you visited Nikeia. I’m glad to hear she’s doing better. Before tonight, Nikeia was probably the prettiest girl in the school.” He paused, smirking at Josey’s slight pout. “Josey has definitely taken that spot.”

Josey melted against his shoulder, her eyes only for him.

As the group started walking towards the Great Hall, James leaned over and whispered into Lily’s ear: “Thank you for never looking so sappily at me.”

Lily chuckled, and kissed his cheek.

When they reached their destination, they found many others from the other houses standing about, laughing. Lily gasped at the array of beautiful clothing. Girls were all wearing exquisite long gowns or charming shorter dresses, and the men looked dashing in various forms of apparel. It seems that most of the younger students had decided to match their costumes.

Lily recognized Claire Salamander and Adam Tait standing against the wall getting a bit of snogging in before the Feast and Ball. They were both wearing shades of green; Claire a mint green, off-the-shoulder gown from the American Civil War Era (Lily wondered if she knew just how Muggle that gown was) and Adam in a forest green militia uniform.

Right then, Professor McGonagall came out of the Great Hall and beckoned to the prefects and James and Lily. They all walked over and McGonagall started explaining that they were to take the lead and start the first dance after dinner. When that was done, she tapped her wand against the great doors, and they swung forward to reveal the newly-decorated Great Hall.

It looked amazing. All around the walls, icicles had been hung, as well as wreaths and garlands of fresh smelling pine. Lily caught sight of a few mistletoe sprigs hanging at random intervals from the enchanted ceiling. Lily smiled. Those hadn’t been planned, but she didn’t think she’d mind.

Large circular tables that would seat ten people were covered in deep green and red cloths, with silver cutlery and dishes laid out. The floor of the Great Hall had been polished to a sparkling standard, and the raised dais for the orchestra was set up along the left wall. There was a rather large orchestra set up already, and the musicians were smiling as they held their instruments. A couple was standing talking to the orchestra master. James and Lily knew they would be the vocal talent of the evening.

The two Heads, led by Professor McGonagall and followed by the prefects, their partners and the rest of the school, walked into the Great Hall. James and Lily made their way over to a table near the orchestra and took their seats. Kayla and Antoine joined them at their table, for they each wanted to be with their partner. One empty seat was left, which Sirius would eventually occupy.

“Welcome, students and teachers, to another gathering of our school,” started Headmaster Dumbledore from the staff table at the far end of the Hall. “As it usually is, speeches and talk are to be saved for after we eat. The same applies now. But, I have four words to say that are really quite my favorites; Nitwit, Oddment, Blubber, and Tweak.” As Dumbledore sat down, everyone chuckled appreciatively at their headmaster.

Then, they expected the tables to be filled with the magical food like it did at mealtimes. People glanced around wonderingly at each other, before fixing their eyes to the teachers. They were gazing at their menus, and once they spoke something, a dish was placed on their plate. Everyone got the way this meal worked now. James picked up his menu, muttered “chicken parmesan” to his plate, and nearly instantly, a very good looking meal appeared, complete with green beans and boiled potatoes.

The orchestra played throughout the meal; soft classical songs. Lily enjoyed those, and it seemed everyone else did. Perhaps there was a charm on the instruments... After most people had finished eating, the conductor started up a new song, and McGonagall gave subtle nods to the prefects. Remus and James caught this, and they both rose. With coordinating bows, they extended their hands to their girls. Kayla and Lily smiled (fighting giggles) and rose. James led Lily out onto the floor, before spinning her once and starting to dance. Gradually, other couples joined in after the prefects.

After a few dances, James and Lily reclaimed their seats.

James noticed that very few first years were dancing, and after waiting one more song, he reached out and kicked Sam’s chair. The eleven-year-old jolted and turned to James. He glared at Sam, and then looked pointedly out at the dance floor. Sam raised an eyebrow and James repeated his look, jerking his head toward Monica as well. Lily, who had noticed, rolled her eyes, smiling.

James sighed and then stood once more. He lightly smacked the back of Sam’s head and then held his hand out to Monica.

Monica gave James a look that was almost as sappy as Josey’s to Antoine earlier, but James admitted that it was utterly adorable. She placed her own hand in his larger palm and he led her out to the floor. Sam was gaping slightly. James tossed Sam a pitying look as he gently pulled Monica closer to him and began to turn her through the dance.

“You aren’t expecting me to dance with you, are you?” asked Sam, leaning over in his chair to talk to Lily. She raised her eyebrow as she looked at him out of the corner of her eyes. She saw him gulp, and figured she couldn’t continue to tease him.

“No, Sam, you don’t have dance with me. James is just being Potter; he loves teasing people. Just enjoy yourself.”

He smiled gratefully, and turned back to his friends, who seemed rather surprised that not only were they being talked to by a seventh year, one of their own was dancing with one of the most attractive men in the school.

Before long, James returned to Monica to her table and reached out to Lily. She laid her head against his shoulder as they walked out to the floor, and sighed happily as the song changed to an old Muggle classic—disguised as a Wizarding song through some clever rewriting in places. She was pleasantly surprised to see that everyone was able to keep up with the dance steps; some might have seemed a bit surprised that they knew the dance, but it probably crossed the minds of only a few people that the floor had been enchanted. If anyone had asked, James would’ve pointed accusingly at Lily and said: “It was her idea.”

Sam had taken James’s lead and brought Monica to the floor. They were dancing shyly, but their movement got some of the other younger students onto the floor.

As James listened to the song, he began to chuckle.

“What’s so funny?” asked Lily, looking up slightly into James’s hazel eyes.

“’I get a kick, though it’s clear to me that you obviously do not adore me,’” recited James.

Lily gave him a funny look, but then realized what he was trying to say.

“I was so silly,” admitted Lily.

“No,” argued James. “You were wonderful. That’s why I loved you so much. You remained faithful to that which you believed in.”

“All right, James,” interrupted Remus, moving closer with Kayla in his arms. “There’s no need to get all mushy on the dance floor.”

“Oh, really? What if I what to get all mushy, eh? What if,” started James, looking momentarily thoughtful, “what if I want to tell Lily that I want to be with her forever? That she is the only one for me? That she is the most incredibly beautiful girl I have ever seen, with her red hair and green eyes and gorgeous face?” James would have probably continued to speak clichĂ©d oaths, but Lily pinched his shoulder. He looked down at her in hurt, but she raised her eyebrow. “I could also just kiss her and leave it at that.” Of course, James acted before anyone could say anything and kissed Lily. Remus just rolled his eyes, before continuing to lead Kayla across the dance floor.

After a second once-Muggle-classic-now-Wizarding-hit, Lily and James sat down, and watched their friends. James noticed that Sam had left his shrunken camera at the table. He smirked and picked it up. Expanding it, he looked through the viewfinder at Sam and Monica, dancing more comfortably with each other now. Lily joined in his smirking and watched as the two younger students continued to dance, unaware that they were being watched.

Not long after, McGonagall announced that the first, second and third years had to return to their dormitories. Sam and Monica returned to the table to say goodnight, goodbye and “Happy Christmas”, for they would be leaving the following morning for the vacation. James had all the little gypsies line up for a group shot, and then they walked off with the other lower classmen.

Not far into another reworked Muggle song, Sirius walked into the Great Hall. The biggest smile James would swear he had ever seen was plastered on Sirius’s face as he took a seat. He spoke to his plate and a hot fudge sundae appeared. The others found dessert to be a great idea, and also ordered sundaes.

“How’s Nikeia?” asked James, between spoonfuls.

“She’s great. She slept for about an hour, and then woke up for about fifteen minutes,” explained Sirius.

“Did she ask what happened?” asked Remus.

“Yeah,” answered Sirius, “but I was forbidden by Madam Pomfrey to say anything. She said it right in front of Nikeia, too, so naturally she wanted to know even more. But she fell asleep before she could argue too much.” Sirius chuckled, as did everyone else at the table. Kayla and Antoine had, of course, noticed her prolonged absence, but knew very little. “She slept until about eight thirty, and then we talked again for a half hour. After that, I came down here.” Sirius finished off his sundae, and then pushed back from the table to stretch his legs.

After a few minutes, the present song was over and Frank and Alice joined their table. The male singer called up anyone who could sing. A few people rushed up, but he picked three girls. They took their spots, and James saw that it was that Laila girl, wearing a gold and white layered gown. Two of her friends came up with her: a brunette in a blue off-the-shoulder gown, and another blonde in a dark magenta crumpled-silk gown.

When James asked who they were, Kayla replied with: “Amanda Hargreeves, Alyssa Duke and Laila Albright. They’re in my year—sixth—and are Gryffindors. They’ve been friends since first year.”

Sirius nodded, then stood. “Well, Lils, you’re not my girl Nikeia, but you’ll have to do.” He extended his hand to her, not minding James’s look of amazement. “Dance with me?” Lily threw the Smirk over to James, and nodded. As Sirius led Lily off to the dance floor to dance to the song the trio was singing, James looked astounded.

“I am amazed that he can do that. Just absolutely amazed!”

“So am I, Prongs,” started Remus, “So am I.”

As if to prove that he was as good as Sirius, James stood and offered his hand to Kayla. She laughed, but allowed him to walk her to the floor. Remus looked on, flabbergasted, as Frank laughed. Remus looked to him and then stood, his own Marauder’s Smirk on his lips.

Frank had the dumbfounded look on his face next as Alice walked away with Remus. He looked over at Peter, who shrugged before ordering a second dessert. Frank narrowed his eyes, then walked purposely toward Josey, who was giggling to herself. He offered her his black-gloved hand, and she accepted. Antoine gasped indignantly as Frank and Josey danced away. Peter laughed.

“Peter,” Antoine said, “You’re supposed to have a date that I can steal. Where is she?”

“Um, I didn’t bring one,” stated Peter through his chuckling. Antoine sighed exasperatedly and stood. He looked around briefly, before spotting the girl he wanted. Smoothly, he cut in and took Lily from Sirius.

Sirius gasped, putting his hands on his hips. He looked around, a thoughtful look on his features. He walked back to his own table, and grabbed his hat, mask and sword.

“Well, Peter,” he said, tying the mask on his face. “I’m off.”

“Where to?”

“The Hospital Wing. Perhaps I shall find Nikeia awake. She’ll be just the girl to dance with.”

“But she can’t dance!”

“Thank you, Wormtail for the completely forgotten piece of information,” retorted Sirius, sarcastically.

“You’re crazy,” stared Peter, taking a sip of the glass in front of him, as he shrugged resignedly.

“Yes, my dear friend, I’m afraid I’m the craziest of the Marauders,” sighed Sirius, twitching his cloak straight. Peter snorted into his glass.

“Careful; don’t say that too loud. James will be over here in a heartbeat to challenge that.”

“Let him. I already stole his date once. And I didn’t mind dancing with her and I won’t mind dancing with her again! You know; that’s actually not a bad idea. I think I’ll stay a bit longer—at least until I get another dance with Lily. You’re right; Nikeia is still tired.” Sirius stated as he took off his hat and reclaimed his seat.

Not long after, he found out that those tricky little house elves made it so that only non-alcoholic drinks were served. Therefore, when he said “champagne” to his thin wineglass, and took a sip of the tan drink, he found that it was sparkling grape juice. He frowned at the drink.

“I already tried it,” admitted Peter, holding up the flute he was drinking from. “Anyway, sparkling grape juice tastes better than champagne.”

Sirius was surprised that his small, mousy friend had asked for champagne, but nodded admittedly. The bubbly drink did taste better than champagne. During that time, the present song ended and another ‘oldie’ started up, urging a lost love to return. James gladly obliged, finding Lily, twirling her around and placing a gentle kiss on her lips.

Taking James’s idea, the rest of the mismatched dancers found their original partners.

After that song, Sirius took his opportunity. Before Lily had a chance to even think of retaking her chair, he took her hands in his own, avoiding James’s boot as he returned Lily to the dance floor.

James frowned darkly, watching his best mate and his girl dance across the floor. “Cheer up, James!” cried Remus, slapping his friend’s shoulder. “Let Sirius have some fun. It’s nearly Christmas after all.”

James glared up at his mate, before having a glass of sparkling grape juice pushed into his hands. He slumped back into his chair, but smiled.

After returning to the table and catching her breath, Lily gave a toast. “To this year. To our old friends and our new friends...” She raised her glass and everyone drank. James then stood.

“And,” added James, “to the year coming, and the year after that, and the one after that.” He smiled and the rest of the group chuckled.

He turned to look only at Lily. He tipped his glass to her and he whispered: “To you.” He leaned over and kissed Lily again, as the rest of the seventh years smiled and saluted their glasses.


.
Chapter Endnotes: Original Note:“James is so sweet! Really need to find one of those guys,” says my Beta Claire. I agree with her entirely. I wish I could find a James too. That would be nice. *sigh* But
I guess I could take a (steadfast) Sirius. Hehe.