Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Few Detentions and A Story by LaneTechFreshie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The girls decide they need some girl, uh witch talk.

This is a new chapter. I put the original chapters 36 and 37 together into chapter 37, which gave me chapter 36 for this. That was one of the main reasons to re-edit the story; I didn’t think there was enough conversation between our favorite characters. . If you’ve read the story before, you should like the change. If this is your first time reading: you’re amazing, thank you!

Chapter Thirty-Six “ Overdue Witch Talk

They were hiding furtively inside the Portrait Hole, their heads peeking into the Gryffindor Common Room. They were looking for someone in particular. Someone who would probably be cuddling with a dark-haired Quidditch player.

The two figures found their quarry, but at that moment, the Portrait opened outward and in stepped another girl.

She froze, startled to see only the heads and shoulders of two of her friends, seemingly coming out of the wall to her right.

“Wha-?”

Before she could say anything else, the two hiders looked at each other, then turned back to the girl who just walked in. Instantly, a wand came out and pointed at the newcomer. Her eyes widened in surprised as her lips were glued shut and she was drawn back into the wall. One of the hiders (they one without the wand) briefly disappeared into the wall and, when they returned, nodded to the other.

“She’s quiet and she can’t move.”

“Good. Now we just have to get the other one over here, and we’ll be ready.”

“Well, we can see her. Let’s just go over, tell her we need to talk to her, and be done.” A spluttering was heard, and the non-wand-wielder whispered, “Your hair is in my face! I keep eating it!”

“Well, stop hovering so close to my shoulder then!” A bump sounded, and Wand Wielder said, “That hurt!”

“Shut it. Let’s just get the girl, and get back to the dormitory.”

“Fine.”

They quickly planned their attack, then stepped from the hidden hallway (which only one of them could actually see).

They approached the corner in which their prey sat”in the lap of her boyfriend, as they suspected.

“Well, hullo. Do you mind if we steal your girl from you? We’ve got something we want to say.”

They were standing before the cuddling pair, their stances wide. The one who was talking was tapping their wand against their palm.

The dark-haired man focused on the wand for a second, knowing this Gryffindor knew how to use it well. Nevertheless, he found the whole situation rather funny. He looked up with an amused face beneath his furrowed brows. “Well, um… sure.”

He turned to the girl on his lap, kissed her quickly. “I think they mean business.”

“But… I was just getting comfortable,” she almost whined.

He looked at her in shock. “We’ve been sitting here for an hour, and you’re only now getting comfortable?”

The girl pressed a hand to his chest. “Has it been an hour already? Time sure does fly.”

The Two Who Meant Business looked at each other, rolling their eyes at the sappiness. They supposed they should expect it from this girl. She wasn’t so much a hopeless romantic as she was just a very aware of her femininity.

The girl whimpered and kissed her boyfriend one more time, but before she could kiss him deep enough to satisfy her during her upcoming time-without-him, she was pulled from his lap and near carried back to the Portrait Hole. She spared no words to describe her displeasure. The two capturers didn’t say much, though they did share a contented smirk over the shorter head.

When the girl saw that they were about to walk right into a solid wall, she started flailing and squeaking. (If she had relaxed for a moment, she would’ve remembered that she had in fact been through this wall before. Perhaps all the snogging she had done recently had addled her wits.)

She wasn’t hurt, however, for she just stepped right through the wall, as if it was the glass before St. Mungo’s.

She was in a dimly lit hallway and squeaked again when she saw another friend sitting on the floor, her hands and feet flat against the stone, almost as if they had been stuck down.

Which, in fact, they had.

The Wand Wielder whispered the releasing spells, to both her hands and feet, and her lips.

“What in the world do you think you’re doing? I was just on my way to see-”

“Oh quiet. We’re stealing you for the afternoon. We haven’t had a chance to talk in a while and what with both of you mooning over your men, we realized that the only way to have a nice long chat was to be to steal you,” said the second capturer, who had been the one to stick the second girl’s hands and feet to the floor. “Though, I will say we weren’t expecting to have to capture you in such a way, Alice. You just walked through the door and we realized that it was perfect timing.”

“Perfect timing? I’ll say it was far less-than-perfect for me! How dare you take me away from Antoine!”

“Oh, shush, Josey. Your lips are bright red; you’ve been snogging quite enough.”

The girl, who was in fact the petite but statuesque Josey, huffed and stuck out her tongue.

The foursome continued down the hallway, Alice and Josey walking by themselves. (They were actually quite happy to have a day to spend with their friends; they just argued on principle. And because it was fun.)

“Well, Capturers, you better have some food for us. I didn’t get lunch,” complained Josey.

“Sucking face with Antoine wasn’t enough?”

Josey gasped, shocked at the bluntness. “Nikeia!”

The tall girl smirked, and flopped onto the couch in the Heads’ common room.

“Lily, did you hear what she said?” asked Josey, her voice high-pitched in astonishment.

“Indeed I did,” laughed Lily, curling into one of the chairs. “And while I wouldn’t have said it quite the same way, I was thinking it.”

Josey huffed again, and managed to keep up the affronted look for a full three seconds. Then she started laughing.

She started to sit down with Alice, but remembered the food. “I wasn’t joking about the food, by the way…”

“It’s over on the desk,” said Nikeia, pointing over the top of the couch.

“Oh, wonderful,” murmured Josey as she shuffled over to the food. As she made a plate for herself”Chocolate Frogs, Cauldron Cakes, a few Bertie Botts, and some cold chicken from lunch”she addressed the red-headed girl of the group. “Speaking of being all over our men, you two”Lily and Nik”are rich ones to talk! More often than not you’re hanging on their arms just waiting for the next kiss.”

“Now, Jo, you know that’s not quite fair!” urged Lily. “I’m not saying it’s not true some of the time. I do enjoy having James around, to make me smile, and laugh, and to hold me.” Her face took on a far-away look, which the other girls smiled at, knowing the feeling. “But I don’t constantly fawn over him!”

“Oh, and I do?” cried Josey, taking a spot in the other chair.

The other three girls shared looks.

“Over James? No,” said Lily. (Josey tossed her an annoyed glare.) “Over Antoine, yes.”

Josey frowned briefly, but then shrugged in a rather sheepish way. “I really can’t help it. He’s just so wonderful, and handsome, and good at Quidditch.” She sighed.

Nikeia’s brow furrowed. “Are those the only reasons you like him?”

“No!” cried Josey, nearly upsetting the plate precariously placed on her folded knees. “No. Though they certainly don’t hinder the fact.” She began to play with the wrapper of the Chocolate Frog. “No, he’s smart, too. And I… Oh, every time I see him I get the most delightful fluttering in my stomach. When he holds me, I feel utterly safe and content.”

The other girls shared another glance, one that was both surprised at the very genuine-sounding feelings of affection, and expressive of their own feelings, considering they had all felt such emotions with their own boyfriends.

“Jo,” started Nikeia, slowly. “Are you, well, are you thinking about sleeping with him?”

Josey looked up sheepishly.

“Have you already?”

“No!” cried Josey, straightening her spine suddenly. “No, I haven’t. And indeed I wouldn’t until we’re out of school. I’ll not do anything in a broom closet or an unused classroom. ” She was silent for a moment. “I have thought about it. I have been tempted, but he always took a step back whenever it got too… too serious. He’s so disciplined. So… aware of what’s around him. I guess that’s why he’s a Quidditch player. But, yeah, he’s always stopped before we went too far.”

Nikeia nodded. “Well, I just wanted to ask, because I know we’ve talked about it before, with your other boyfriends.”

“Yes, I remember the talks.”

The four girls chuckled.

“Oh, but he’s different than those others,” she asserted. “He’s…” All she could do was giggle giddily.

They sat in silence for a moment, enjoying the crackle of the fire as the castle was slightly drafty in the midst of January.

“And you three? Come on, I’ve told. Your turn,” urged Josey, teasing.

The girls looked down at their hands, thinking.

“Nik, you first?”

The dark-haired beauty shook her head. “I don’t know what to say, because I don’t know what to think. I’ve thought about it before, but I’ve no idea. Yet.”

Josey nodded, and turned to Lily. “Lil?”

“Well, I’ve certainly thought about James. After so many years of almost loathing him. He and his idiotic habits: the hair tousling, the hallway hexing, the hair-raising Quidditch games.” She exhaled in laughter. “And now, he’s mine. Oh, it feels odd to take possession of him that way, but it also makes me incredibly happy.” She smiled broadly at her friends. “Once or twice he’s kissed me so… so…” She exhaled again, but this time in happy discomfort. “Maybe ‘ardently’ is the right word? Oh… I do, in fact, think that I could easily marry him, live beside him… die with him. He’s attached himself to me and I’ve never… never felt safer.” She paused. “My, that feels odd to say. A year ago I would have been sure I’d been bewitched.”

She was silent, staring into the flames contentedly and with such an expression of love that the other girls remained silent.

Eventually, Alice spoke. “Frank and I have actually talked about getting married. It seems so weird to think about. We’re of age, but still, we seem so young. Oh, but I, too, would be happy to spend the rest of my life with him. No matter what we’re doing or where we are. No matter what life throws at us, or how this war ends, no matter what it does to us, as Aurors. We talked about everything; at least, a bit about everything. And you know, each time he kisses me it seems like the first time he kissed me.” She, too, became lost in the carpet, the smile of a woman in love on her lips.

Nikeia cleared her throat softly. “Listening to you girls, I almost feel embarrassed to speak, but… I don’t think I could marry Sirius. In fact, I don’t know if he’s the marrying type. Or if I am.”

She fell silent, and the other girls shook themselves out of their stupors to look at their friend with kind and curious expressions.

“I suppose only time will tell, but perhaps we’ll just ever remain lovers. I could love him, quite easily.”

Her expression was the most interesting look of the night, fraught with patience, bewilderment, confusion, but also true affection.

“Nik,” started Lily. She paused. “I... I think that it’s wise to take it step-by-step with him. He is a great man, and he truly cares for you, but I think he doesn’t know what his future holds. He needs to go slowly; for all that he likes to speed into things, he should learn patience. Especially if he intends to have someone else by his side. So, going slow and waiting to see what happens seems to be an excellent idea. There’s nothing wrong with that.”

Nikeia looked at her gratefully, glad that someone understood.

“After all,” Lily continued, “As Alice said, we’re young. To be planning marriages and lives while we’re here in school seems so hasty. I guess if one knows, one knows, but perhaps perspective should be applied.”

“Yeah, but you know what life’s like, at the moment. With You-Know-Who waltzing around,” said Josey. “There are hasty wedding announcements written every day in the paper. And there are a fair number of Hogwarts students mentioned in them.”

Indeed the number of elopements, or very small marriages performed in the Ministry, was great. But none of the fours girls in the Head’s common room could find blame with the frightened lovers.

“We’re half-way done with this year,” said Alice, suddenly. The others, however, were not averse to changing the topic.

“It’s rather amazing,” said Lily. “Only six more months.”

“Barely,” added Josey.

“It’s even sooner for those of us that missed two whole months of school,” muttered Nikeia.

“Oh, Nik,” sighed Lily, before getting up and sitting herself down beside her friend on the couch. Nikeia, who was still stretched out along its length, smiled wanly.

“I do thank you, Lily, for helping me with classes. So much to learn…”

“And you’re doing wonderful at it. You always were a quick learner.”

“Thank you, my love,” responded Nikeia, using a term of endearment that she only ever used for these three girls, and only when she really meant it. “I may learn quickly, but comprehension is slower.”

Lily began to protest, but Nikeia’s look stopped her.

“It’s all right. I’ve got plenty of time to learn. James promised to help me with Defense, and that’s one of my weaker subjects.”

Almost tangibly, the question they had never asked fell into the room.

Alice was the one to ask it. “Nik… what happened that night after the Halloween feast?”

They had been told a brief story, but never the full.

Nikeia was silent. “There really isn’t much more to tell. I was attacked, and I was unconscious for two months.”

The girls accepted the line.

“I thank you for caring for me. I’m all right now. Really.”

Lily smiled down at her friend, then lay down next to her. The wide couch accommodated both thin bodies easily. Nikeia draped an arm over Lily’s shoulders, taking Lily’s hand in her own.

“We’ll all be all right,” said Lily. “It’s like what James said that day. We’ll stick together, and nothing will harm us.”

“Voldemort would be too afraid to touch us four anyway. Our men would easily take off his head,” said Alice.

The girls laughed.

“Except he’s already tried, Alice,” said Lily, slightly regretfully.

“Well, stupid him then. He’ll learn,” Alice informed them.

The girls shared another laugh, and contended smiles.

-----


James stepped through the Portrait Hole and into the Gryffindor common room. Spotting Antoine sitting alone by the fire, he made his way towards his fellow teammate.

“Hey, Wood,” called James as he neared.

“Potter,” Antoine responded, looking up from his book.

“Have you seen Lily? I can’t find her anywhere.”

“Yeah, she and Nikeia came in here just a few minutes ago and demanded that I give up Josey. They were threatening the worst should I not give her up.”

James scoffed. “Them? Hurt you? They wouldn’t dare.”

Antoine guffawed. “Shows how much you know.” Suddenly, he smiled. “Nah, they didn’t threaten anything. They just looked threatening.”

“Now, that sounds like the girls I know. Where’d they go?”

“I’m not sure. But they sounded like they really wanted to talk, so I wouldn’t go looking for them. You know girls; if they don’t talk about something, they explode.”

As James laughed, he removed a first year from a chair near Antoine. He placed the first year in the only open armchair before the fire, then took the hard wooden chair for his own. The first year looked on with shock. James ignored him.

“Girls are definitely interesting creatures,” he conceded. Antoine nodded. “How are you and Josey getting on?”

Antoine’s tan cheeks took on a slight pink tinge. “Well, we… we get on. She’s a good girl, and I enjoy her company.”

“She’s a good girl and you enjoy her company?” scoffed James. “What are you; her old, blind aunt?”

Antoine glared. “No, I just… I just don’t want to… I’d rather not let everything out.”

“Well, tell me something before I assume the worst about you.” James’s eyes were hard and they looked steadily at Antoine.

“Like what?” Antoine challenged.

“I’ve heard stories of your past relationships, Wood. Seem to paint you as a bit unfeeling, if I remember correctly.”

Antoine flushed, and his brow creased. “Well, that’s because back then, I was rather. I was a popular Quidditch player”I still am, I suppose”and I enjoyed that popularity. Josey… my darling Josephine was enchanting when I first really saw her. She saw me for what I was on the outside, but also for the inside stuff.” He paused. “I… I’m not so great at talking about this, Potter.”

James was silent, still staring. “Well, I suppose as long as you know the difference between now and then, and since you used words like ‘darling’ and ‘enchanting’…” He trailed off in a way that let Antoine know that he had not been found wanting. “Because, I’ll tell you: Josey is dear to me, as my girl’s best friend. I’m your captain, and as such, I expect you to behave well and as a gentleman.”

“Well, that’s rather rich, coming from you. You never had a problem with shallow relationships a few years ago,” accused Antoine, not unfairly.

“No, that’s right. And I didn’t lead you players as I should have, perhaps. You all deserve a leader that’s aware of everything, not just Quidditch and his own personal life. I’ve been made to see reason this past year, and I hope to try to lead you the way you should.”

Antoine was silent. Then, he huffed. “Well, I can’t really say anything else about that, can I?”

“Oh, I’m sure you could.”

They held eye contact for a while longer.

They hardly noticed when Sirius approached them. “What are you two doing?” he asked, glancing from man to man.

“Just talking.”

“Yeah? Well, don’t look so intense. It’s scaring the first years.”

The first years were, in fact, fine. Some of the second and third year girls, however, were in utter shock at the intense expressions on both men’s faces, which they deemed terrifyingly beautiful.

James smiled briefly, and looked up at his friend. “Where have you been?”

“Trying to find Nik.”

James said “Ah!” and pointed to Antoine, allowing the Chaser to tell the story.

“She and Lily stole Josey. They’re holding her hostage while they talk.”

Sirius raised his eyebrow. “Stole? Hostage?”

“He exaggerates,” quipped James.

“Not by much,” responded Antoine.

James rolled his eyes, and returned his gaze to Sirius. “Speaking of Nikeia… I was just telling Antoine that if he ever hurt Josey I’d not be happy. The same goes for you and Nikeia. Don’t hurt her.”

Sirius was silent as he looked at his best friend. “James. I know that. She’s probably too good for me, but I’m glad she’s taking a chance. I… well.”

James nodded, understanding and content.

“Well, that’s enough serious talk for me,” he said, rising up from the chair. “Padfoot, I feel like a walk is in order.”

“A walk?” Sirius asked, his brow raising.

“Yeah, to see a one-eyed witch.”

Sirius’s lips twitched. “I think a walk would do me good. It’s not as if I was just walking all around school looking for my girlfriend.”

Antoine chuckled with James, but then asked, “One-eyed witch? What are you talking about? Not planning a prank, are you?”

“Oh, Wood, when aren’t we planning a prank?” asked the incorrigible young man known as James Potter. He winked, then threw his arm around Sirius’s shoulder. The two dark-haired men”twins from behind”walked back out the Portrait Hole, leaving a slightly confused but strangely unworried Quidditch Chaser behind them.