Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Few Detentions and A Story by LaneTechFreshie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: The continuation and culmination of the trip to America happens in this chapter. Beware of the rabbit.

I had the students leaving and returned to Hogwarts on a Wednesday to allow for Easter Sunday falling in the middle of the break. I love Prongs is still Josey’s Aunt Chelsea.

Nitpicker Omagus seemed to think that I was being a bit hard on the guys in this story. It's not completely intentional, so to any guy reading this, thanks and sorry... Sorta. ;D

Chapter Forty-Five “ Montana

The rest of the break in Montana was spent in much the same way as that first day. The jetlag wore off quickly, after which everyone enjoyed themselves thoroughly. Whether it was through horseback riding, playing football, or listening to Sirius and Nikeia act out scenes from books in the library”usually sappy romantic scenes”they all were able to relax.

Even Timmy had been found asleep in the hammock on the porch, which was surprising as he had previously stormed off because “everyone was being boring” and “doing nothing”.

Lily, who had been so stressed about not being able to study over the break, didn’t even mention N.E.W.T.s once. James was very proud of her, though he didn’t say anything, for fear that as soon as she did, she would start thinking about it. The idea that she would want to study even more when they got back to Hogwarts in order to make up for lost time never occurred to him.

They became quickly acquainted with the workings of the ranch and the vastness of the property. On one memorable morning, Cole woke the eight students up very early and demanded they be dressed in twenty minutes.

When nineteen minutes passed, and no one had showed, he returned to the boys’ room, turned on the lights, opened the curtains and pulled the blankets off all of them. He gave them an extra ten minutes, and an ominous “or else”.

For the girls he didn’t have to do much else besides pound on the door. Apparently they had heard the groans from the boys, and realized that Cole meant business.

That day was spent in helping around the ranch; cleaning stalls, mending fences, repainting the smokehouse, tending the gardens, chasing chickens and washing the horses. Those not accustomed to the labor groused and complained, and those who were getting a break from work (Cole, Nick and Chelsea) smiled and watched on. Jake had been allowed to take the day and go into town, for which he was very grateful.

And yet, for all their whining, the students from across the pond found that they were enjoying their time greatly. The fresh air was a relief after sitting inside a stone building for hours on end, and not having to think about potions, charms, or defensive spells was a welcome change. By the end of the day, they had had all three meals outdoors and been worn out almost completely. When Cole mentioned he was planning on repainting the entire barn the next day, shouts erupted. He laughed and assured them they’d not have to work the next day, at which point Lily and Remus shared a glance, then raced back into the house. Minutes later, they reappeared with their wands in hand, and ran to the barn. Together, they raised their wands and performed a spell. Before everyone’s eyes, the barn’s old paint was stripped and Vanished. New paint applied itself smoothly and without mistake to the siding, window frames and shutters, and the eaves of the roof.

The three Prescotts walked forward slowly, their eyes wide, never having experienced quite so much magic.

When Lily and Remus were done, and the barn was newly painted a dark red, they turned around, smiles on their faces.

James muttered something about “showing off”, but the sounds of appreciation from Cole and his parents were all Lily and Remus had ears for.

“Well, I guess I won’t have anything to do tomorrow,” muttered Cole, clapping Remus on the shoulder.

-----


That night, the eight students found refuge in the library after taking long, hot showers to help ease the aches and remove the dust, dirt and other sundry substances from their bodies.

As they all sank into the soft plush couches, Nikeia alone remained standing. She walked over to the grand piano, and lightly ran her fingers across the ivory keys.

“Do you play?” asked Sirius.

Nikeia smiled over her shoulder, and sat down at the narrow bench. A moment later, she began to caress the keys, proving that she could in fact play, and play well.

Her impromptu recital attracted the other members of the household. Mary and Chelsea even joined Nikeia in a three-part piece that was joyful and brisk. Nick encouraged Nikeia to play a few waltz pieces, and he led Chelsea through the steps. James and Antoine, remembering the steps from the masquerade ball, led their own girls around the couches and sofas.

Eventually, an end was called and Nikeia was thanked profusely. She returned to Sirius’s side as the adults (and Timmy) left the library. After praising Nikeia a bit more, Sirius asked her how she had learned. She claimed her mother, while a pure-blood wizard, had been required to play by own very proper mother.

“They seemed to think that such skills like embroidery and piano playing reflected a sense of accomplishment and refinement,” Nikeia said, her chin lifted as if she was a posh lady from the best societal circle.

“Then I absolutely agree,” Sirius flirted, kissing the side of her jaw. She reacted by lowering her chin and giggling.

“What does your mother do now, Nik?” asked James. “I don’t think I’ve ever known that.”

“She makes sure all the silver is counted properly and the linens are neatly pressed.”

James’s expression denoted his absolute bafflement. Nikeia exhaled in laughter and explained, “She stays at home. The ancient family manor in Scotland is a point of high pride for her. It’s been owned by generations and generations of powerful wizards and witches. It’s her greatest honor to be allowed to tend it.”

Something in her voice caused Remus to lower his book and tilt his head. “You don’t sound as proud as you make your mother sound.”

Nikeia sighed. “It’ll be my duty to take over. I’m an only child, and the oldest of the cousins, so it’s my inheritance.”

“What would you do if you didn’t have to do that?”

“Oh, I’ll be able to have a career for quite a few years before I get the manor. As for what that career will be, I’m not so sure. I’ve thought about teaching primary school.”

“Good; those little gnomes won’t be able to truly appreciate your beauty and try to steal you from me,” drawled Sirius, pushing his hand into her long black hair and tipping her head up to him.

She rolled her eyes at him, but her girlfriends could tell she was immensely pleased at his affection.

“You won’t have anything to worry about,” said Lily. “As soon as anyone finds out you’re with Sirius, they’ll think you’re completely batty and run away before they can get too close.”

Everyone else snorted and laughed, but Nikeia and Sirius each grabbed a throw pillow from their couch and whipped them at Lily. James, in proper boyfriend fashion and as a Quidditch chaser, deflected each pillow.

“Remember with whom you’re in love, Lily, before you start teasing me,” urged Nikeia.

Lily winked at her, smiling broadly. James threw one of the pillows back at Nikeia.

“You’re both in love with idiots; get over it,” drawled Remus, not lifting his gaze from the novel he had taken from one of the bookshelves. He dodged the pillows that James and Sirius threw.

“I can’t imagine how you’ve managed to deal with them for seven years, Peter,” said Antoine, looking over at the shorter young man, sitting on the floor. Peter shrugged comically. “I’ve dealt with their playing around; you’ve dealt with James’s ego on the Quidditch pitch. I don’t know how you managed it.”

Antoine laughed, “Touché!”

“Speaking of Quidditch,” said James, pushing himself from the couch. “How ‘bout a game of it?”

“Now? It’s almost dark out!” cried Josey, clinging to Antoine as if she didn’t want him to get up, which she didn’t.

“That makes it all the more fun!” returned Antoine eagerly. He lightly kissed Josephine’s forehead, then removed her from his lap. He and James ran upstairs to retrieve their broomsticks.

However, when the came back downstairs, their faces had dropped.

“Except, with only two players it’s not much fun,” whined James, plopping back down on the couch, his broomstick across his lap.

“It’s amazing how long it takes you to think sometimes, James,” said Lily, her eyebrow raised. He turned his head to glare at her.

“We could just toss the Quaffle back and forth, without brooms,” said Josey, glad to have Antoine beside her again.

Suddenly, Nikeia threw herself forward. “Or, what if we tried to play on horseback?” She drew the final word out, an eager look in her eyes.

James, Antoine and Sirius all stood, their own eyes wide. They began devising just how the game would be played. They went on for a few minutes before Lily’s voice cut through their excitement.

“Except… Except that it’s dark out, and we’d need Cole’s permission to take the horses out.”

The three boys appeared to deflate.

“Why don’t we wait until tomorrow, and we’ll ask Cole then,” Lily said, her tone placating. “He might even be able to give us ideas.”

The exuberance of the young men was back in full force, and they continued to make up rules, which sounded a great deal like normal Quidditch rules. Josey turned to Lily and asked, “What have you done?”

Lily just Smirked.

The next morning, the five boys (Peter and Remus having been caught up in the excitement) ran out to the barn and asked Cole about riding the horses while playing Quidditch.

When he asked them if they meant they wanted to play polo, they gave him confused glances. He started to explain, but quickly decided against it. He listened to their explanations a bit longer, and they helped saddle the horses. He agreed to be a sixth player, and their game was started. When Timmy made an appearance later, Cole pulled him up to sit before him on the large horse and act as an extra pair of hands.

The girls politely declined an invitation to play the game and, with help from Jake”who had luckily heard nothing about Quaffles, Quidditch or flying and was still blissfully ignorant of magical folk”saddled their own horses and took off for another ride through the fields. One can only assume they discussed the idiosyncrasies of their favorite five young men, as well as the way in which James seemingly forgot that today was his birthday. When they returned to the house, they mentioned it to Chelsea, who promptly ushered them into the kitchen and began preparing dessert. Mary was brought in and the girls spent the afternoon laughing over cake, cookie, and cupcake batters, as well as the various men in their lives.

James was pleasantly surprised after dinner, and made sure to ask forgiveness again for forgetting Lily’s birthday. She kissed him gently, having forgiven him quite a while ago.

-----


That night, Antoine was stargazing with Josey, and Sirius was fast asleep.

The other three Marauders had been plotting using the few textbooks Remus brought with him, and a couple spell books they had found (surprisingly) in Chelsea’s library, James’s deviousness, and Peter’s… Peter’s… well, Peter’s slight input. The birthday boy decided that now would be the perfect time to act out their plot; it was his birthday wish.

Menacingly, Messrs. Moony, Wormtail and Prongs got out of their beds, with their wands raised, their Smirks in place, and walked slowly toward Sirius.

-----


The occupants of the Prescott Ranch awoke to a loud yelling from the second dormitory. They all ran out of their bedrooms to see what was going on. When they pushed the bedroom door open, it was to see Sirius hopping around”literally, hopping”and shouting. A few seconds passed for the sight to sink in, and then they started laughing.

Sirius’s ears had somehow been transformed into long, white rabbit ears, his nose into a small pink button, and there were whiskers coming from his cheeks. As he spun around they noticed a white fluff of a tail.

Judging from the satisfied Smirks and laughter coming from James, Remus and Peter, they knew exactly how this had happened over the night. Poor Sirius hopped over”it seemed that he couldn’t walk properly”to Lily and fell at her feet.

“Lily! Please! Don’t leave me like this! I don’t want to be a rabbit!” It sounded as if Sirius was holding back tears”but only just. Lily figured he was also being a bit dramatic.

“Sirius, I don’t know what I can do. I don’t know what spell they used,” stated Lily, in a sorry voice. She was winning in her fight not too laugh.

Sirius looked up at her with wide-eyes filled with bewilderment. Nikeia cracked behind Lily and started laughing uproariously.

“Watch it, Nik, or I’ll chase you down!” growled Sirius threateningly.

James laughed from his bed. “Oh, look. Remus’s badly behaved pet rabbit finally makes an appearance. And, I think that should be ‘hop you down,’ Sirius.”

Sirius turned from Lily and glared daggers at James. Lily couldn’t see the expression, but she guessed that it was rather fierce, for all three Marauders moved backwards a bit. How fierce a glare could be when there was a button-nose in the middle…? Lily didn’t know. The thought made her giggle.

“Oh, come on Sirius, It’s not that bad. And that tail is very cute,” giggled Nikeia.

The tail in question wiggled slightly, sending everyone who saw into more fits of laughter. Chelsea and her husband Nick shook their heads at this strange behavior and left the doorframe. They were heard chuckling as they walked back to their bedrooms to prepare for the morning.

Cole offered to make pancakes for the group, having done so earlier in the break, but Lily, Nikeia and Josey strongly disagreed. They conjured up a meal that was almost better than the house elves’ breakfast back home at Hogwarts”not that the three women would admit it.

Then, Cole took them on a last horseback ride, which was very difficult for Poor Bunny Sirius, given his cute cotton puff that served as a tail. James, Remus and Peter were adamant in keeping the hex on Sirius”at least until they were getting ready to leave for home. (They did make sure to get a good number of photos using the same charm Josey had used during their Hogsmeade trip.) So, Poor Bunny Sirius was made to keep his guise of a rabbit. It took him a while, but he did finally manage to jump onto the horse”which was a patient one, and not afraid of such a weird looking human. The trio of “backstabbing, traitorous Marauders”, as Sirius so flattering referred to them, could not stop laughing. It took James nearly falling off his horse for everyone to laugh at him, rather than at Sirius.

Brunch that last day was an affair of conflicting emotions. They were all sad to be parting, but all very grateful that they had been given the opportunity to cross the ocean and spend time with Josey’s family.

The Brits packed slowly, as they were not eager to leave the beautiful home of Nick and Chelsea Prescott and their son Cole. After exchanging warm goodbyes and promised to write (James reminded Cole again of how Lily was very much his), they stepped into the fireplace in the den and came out back in the Magical Headquarters in Chicago.

At that point, Mary insisted that James, Remus and Peter remove the spell on Sirius; she would not be subjected to staring in the airport because of a childish prank. Lily, Josey and Nikeia smiled in appreciation of her no-nonsense policy.

Sirius threw his arms around Mary impulsively, and was overjoyed to find that when he let her go, he was back to normal: no big ears, not cotton-puff tail, no button nose. Nikeia did appear to be rather sad that the guise was gone; Sirius kissed her to make it better. She didn’t object.

Another taxi ride got them to the airport with plenty of time. (Lily had been reminded to not question the traveling plans back in Montana.) Once they were back in London, they returned to Josey’s house where they would spend their last night.

Mary drove them to King’s Cross Station, bid them a tearful goodbye and watched them board the train. At eleven the train left promptly as always.

Though James should’ve have expected it eventually, he groaned when Lily mentioned exams. Sam and Monica, who had joined them at the start of the train ride, rolled their eyes at the frantic exclamations of all the seventh years”and the quickness with which Antoine and Josey left the compartment to find less exam-minded friends. Sam and Monica didn’t have to worry about big exams for another four years. They didn’t hesitate to rub that fact in.

Sirius didn’t hesitate to rub in the fact that he was taller, stronger, jetlagged and perfectly willing to throw them out the window if they mentioned any exams again.

No one mentioned exams.


.
Chapter Endnotes: The rabbit idea was Quiditchfan’s, and liveonluna mentioned saddle sores.