Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

A Few Detentions and A Story by LaneTechFreshie

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +
Chapter Notes: While waiting to serve their first detention, James and Lily find peace and quiet (relatively) in a day beside the lake.


Chapter Five - Beside the Lake

Saturday after dinner found Lily in the common room working on an essay for her Astronomy professor. It was due Monday, but she was never one for waiting to the last minute. She did not notice when James walked into the common room, nor that he had thrown his school robe (complete with Head Boy badge) over his blue denims and t-shirt. She, perhaps, would have assumed he was attempting to make sure other people still knew that he was Head Boy even as he wore Muggle clothes. Would the action have been born from arrogance, or the acceptance of responsibility? She didn�t know, because she wasn�t thinking of it.

James, however, noticed the red hair of the girl he loved. He stopped to think for a moment.

Was it really �love�?

Perhaps not true love. Yet. But he certainly loved everything about her. Every quality drew him to her; every quality was beautiful and so interesting. He even liked her flaws. They were few, and not really flaws, but he thought them adorable. Like how she sometimes got ink in her hair when was studying hard, or how she sometimes (somehow) managed to misjudge distances and step too early, and thus trip over the Portrait Hole or down a step. (She had once been forced to accept his help when she stepped into the trick step.) In general, it was probably the fact that she was very much his opposite that he liked so much. She was organized, thought of others first, was quiet, kept to herself, and she wasn�t very popular. Although after that incident with Snape her reputation had gained another facet beyond �good student�.

When James had first really met her, in their second year�the Marauders hadn�t met many other students as they had stuck together like tissue to glue in their first year�he had thought she was infuriatingly amazing. Had he thought about it, he might have chalked it up to a twelve-going-on-thirteen-year-old�s fascination with girls, and therefore ignored it. (But since when do young men think?) He had wondered why she seemed to hate him so much, but that feeling of bewilderment grew to respect; who could resist him? Only a special person. Even if he was a twelve-going-on-thirteen-year-old troublemaker. Over the years, the respect grew to an utter desire to find out how her mind worked. And why she disliked him so. The respect and desire mingled to form a passion for her that he hoped he could one day act on. But he had been implored by some very wise minds to let that day come on its own. It would be tough, but he�d have to trust another�s wisdom.

Lily�s view of the matter was quite a bit different. She had watched James play around in his first year, and even though he was a very good student, she had no intention of getting to know him. Even when he had been a twelve year old boy, she felt that he would not be someone whom it would be beneficial to know. Over the years, her resistance to James had not abated. He occupied a place in her heart, for sure. It just happened to be the one that was reserved for ill feelings.

And yet, she couldn�t say she hated him. Yes, he drove her mad, and made her very angry at times, and enjoyed breaking rules, but a very small part of her actually admitted that there was an almost enjoyable feeling that accompanied breaking a rule, now that she actually had the experience. And he did have a flair for the dramatic that managed to elevate some of the Maruaders� pranks to almost art. He was clever, she�d give him that. Nevertheless, he was a man she would not like. And anyway, she couldn�t hate him; he hadn�t done anything to merit such a strong feeling. Being asked out nearly every day last year was annoying, but she was above such petty emotions like hate.

Naturally, the musing of both our main characters lasted not very long. Nearly three seconds after James entered the common room (not that Lily had noticed), he spoke.

�Good evening, Miss Evans.� He figured he should start now with taking the advice of a wiser man. Remus had talked to him over the summer, and he realized patience would be difficult, but he really hoped it would play out in the end.

Lily jumped slightly, having been startled from her homework, and turned around. James stood there with a smile on his face, his untidy black hair looking worse than ever.

�Good evening,� Lily said tiredly. She assumed that giving him her complete attention would get rid of him the quickest. Otherwise he�d spend precious minutes trying to get her attention. So, she turned to sit sideways in her chair, crossed her ankles, and looked up at Potter.

�Well, I was wondering if you would want to meet me to go to detention later,� suggested James. Remus had told him to let up on the asking-out bit, but he didn�t say stop completely; and he wasn�t asking her out really.

�Um...� Lily was taken aback a bit; he hadn�t dithered at all. He got right to the point. Even if it was a rather odd request and the point could almost be a date request. He hadn�t even said it as cockily as he normally would. She was curious�even if she didn�t want to admit it. �I suppose so. I guess it�ll be easier to make sure you�re on time then. Meet me at the portrait at five-to-eight,� said Lily, turning back to her essay.

James smiled and, with a word of parting, began to leave the common room, but turned back, standing with the painting open.

�Oh, Evans?� said James kindly. �Um, if you want to join us when you�re done working, we�ll be by the lake. It�s pretty warm out, and the sun will still be out for a while yet. But, if you don�t want to come out, you know, I�ll see you at five-to-eight. Or perhaps even before that.� He nodded good-bye and left.

Lily pondered the suggestion and, after putting the finishing touches on her essay, she went to her room. She changed out of her uniform into a comfortable pair of Muggle clothes. Her robe and badge she left on, of course. (Being a very bright girl, she had noticed that Potter was wearing his. And she would not be out-done.)

She exited out one of the school�s back doors and breathed deep the early evening air. It had been a warm day; probably one of the last before fall really came to the highlands. She walked quietly and even from where she was standing she spotted those for whom she was looking. She sighed before continuing to walk over.

James and Sirius were tossing something back and forth. Peter was reading the same book as he had been a day ago and it seemed that he had not gotten very far. Nikeia and Josey (who, adversely to Lily, enjoyed the company of the Marauders on occasion) were sitting with their backs to the castle on the edge of a pier that jutted out into the lake, their feet dangling in the water. Remus was also reading, or would have been if his eyes were not closed and his head leaning against a tree. Lily started to walk towards Nikeia and Josey, but Potter called out to her.

�Hey, Evans! You joined us!�

�The day�s too nice to spend it entirely inside. I�ve finished my homework, and didn�t have anything else to do. So it was more my own volition that your suggestion.�

He raised his eyebrow at her excuse, but nodded.

�Wait� homework?� asked Sirius, pausing. �All the essays that you�ve been assigned, all of which are probably due next week, and you�re done? With them all?� he asked, amazed.

Lily nodded, the look on her face saying �Well, yeah.� Sirius�s eyes were wide and he shook his head in amazement.

�Wait, why am I even surprised? Of course, you�ve finished.� He paused. �You sure do know how to pick the girls, Prongs.�

Lily and James did the same thing at that instant, and that was to glare at Sirius. James threw something at his (traitorous) friend. Sirius caught it with a cry of surprise.

�Try to kill me, why don�t you!?�

�I can try�� admitted James.

Lily�s lips quirked in a smile against her will. She looked at the ball in the large glove in Sirius�s hand. It was small, white with red stitching. Her brow furrowed.

�What are you guys doing, playing with an American baseball?� she asked. She knew what it was. Before she came to Hogwarts, she had gone to an American city on a trip with her family. Her uncle, whom they were visiting, brought them to watch the pretty confusing game called baseball. But it didn�t seem confusing to her uncle, but maybe that was because he wasn't English.

�Oh, that�s what he called it!� said Sirius. �Well, one of the guys was playing with his mate and we asked if we could see what he was doing. He told us that it was an American sport, played with this ball and these glove things-� he held up his hand to show the tan glove-like mitt- �and we started playing with them after he and his mate decided to go and swim. He said something about needing eighteen players for two teams and there being nine outings or innings or something like that. He tried to explain the game to us but I gave up even trying to listen.� Sirius threw the baseball back to James.

Lily nodded, whispering, �Of course you did.� She chuckled softly and went over to Nikeia and Josephine. Sirius was a Marauder�and therefore very devious�but his humor was appreciated.

The other two girls looked up when they heard her footsteps on the wooden pier.

�Well, fancy meeting you here!� said Nikeia, patting the wood next to her. Lily sat down and was pleasantly surprised to find that the pier was low and close enough to the water that she could get her feet wet.
With her feet in the water, she leaned back on her arms.

�Where did the pier come from?� she asked.

�Remus had the idea, and James Transfigured an old log. Isn�t it nice? We�ll have to ask Dumbledore if we can keep it!�

Lily laughed. �You make it sound like it�s a stray dog!�

Nikeia rolled her eyes, but laughed with the other two girls.

�So, James did this?� asked Lily, surprised.

�Mmhmm. He is very good at Transfiguration, after all.�

�Oh yes, I suppose so��

�So, what are you doing here?�

�Well, Potter did mention that everyone was out here, but I figured it would be a nice way to spend the evening since I am done with homework. So, here I am,� she said, lifting her face to the sun. �It really is beautiful out!�

Josey suddenly sat up, and hit Lily�s arm. �Wait, did I just hear you correctly?� she asked. �Did you just say that you listened to James? And did you really just call him �James�?�

�I�m more focused on the fact that she said that she finished her homework. That�s a lot of essays,� murmured Nikeia.

Lily spared Nikeia a short glance, and then turned to Josey. �Well, it was a good idea and I did need some fresh air,� said Lily indignantly. �And yes, I�m done with my homework. And, no, I didn�t call him �James�.�

Nikeia and Josey looked at each other. �Yes, you did,� Josey insisted.

�No, I didn�t. I said that Potter mentioned where you were. Not James.�

�Before that��you asked if he Transfigured the log.�

Lily paused, and realized Josey was right. �It just slipped out.�

Josey snickered.

Nikeia, however, was thinking about something else. �Can I borrow those essays?� she asked quietly.

Lily looked at her with a raised eyebrow.

�Guess that means no. Just thought I should ask.�

The rest of the afternoon went by nicely, with no more jokes about James and Lily. The three young women did chuckle over Frank Longbottom and Alice Walker, though. The two of them were walking slowly around the lake, not know that they were being watched by Nikeia, Josey and Lily.

At least, the three girls were watching Frank and Alice until James and Sirius gave up playing catch and decided to go swimming. They just took off their shirts, rolled up their pants and jumped into the water.
Nikeia and Josey lost no time in complimenting on�and whistling at�Potter�s and Black�s handsome figures. Lily just raised her eyebrows, not about to give anyone the satisfaction, though she did admit to herself that they were wonderfully built; all those hours playing Quidditch. Running away from the caretaker Filch probably helped, too.

In fact, Lily wondered how one did get so fit from playing Quidditch? It was just flying around and throwing a Quaffle. And Sirius didn�t even play Quidditch on the House team. She assumed Potter stayed fit to be able to fly to his best ability. She figured that their egos ordered them to keep in shape and use Quidditch as an excuse.

James and Sirius had just gotten out of the water and were shaking their hair when Lily noticed that Frank and Alice, who were walking on the quieter, less populated side of the lake, had gotten closer to the pier.
She pointed them out again to Nikeia and Josey, who called over everyone else. They all sighed at how cute the other two seventh years looked; the young men�s sighs may have been slightly sarcastic. Frank and Alice were walking close together along the edge of the lake, and Alice had a flower in her hair. As the seven people watched, Frank slipped his hand into Alice�s.

Nikeia, Josey and Lily sighed at the couple. James and Sirius mimicked them sarcastically, again.

�You girls are such hopeless romantics,� scoffed Sirius.

He was ignored.

�They are so cute together!� said Josey.

When Frank and Alice were about a hundred meters away, Sirius got into the spirit and whispered mischievously, �I wonder if he�s going to try to kiss her.�

Everyone grinned, except Peter who was reading his book again behind everyone. Then, not two minutes after Sirius had whispered, Frank and Alice came to a stand of trees. Alice leaned against one, and looked out over the lake, still talking to Frank. He responded, and then started leaning in. Even from the distance, the students on the pier could see her fidget and blush. But, she did not move away. Everyone on the pier froze, hoping that Frank wouldn�t be too shy.

They got their wish.

As if in slow motion, he leaned closer until finally his lips touched hers. Everyone was silent for a moment and then, all at once, started to cheer and shout. Frank and Alice broke apart from the sweet kiss and turned toward the laughter and shouts. If Alice�s faint blush had be seen, the redness that was now on both their cheeks was very visible to their audience.

The laughter doubled when they heard a sputtering and turned to find Wormtail sitting in the water. He had jumped when they shouted and fell into the lake.

James and Sirius reached down and pulled him from the water. He shook the water out of his ears as he muttered something about someone owing him a new book. He went to sit on the dry grass in the last traces of the sun, trying to get the water out of his book. Remus sighed and used a Drying Charm. Peter chuckled meekly, and got back to reading, embarrassed that the solution was that easy.

Frank and Alice had walked toward the pier, knowing they couldn�t really escape. When they finally reached the pier, everyone cheered and Sirius shouted out: �Well! Finally, you did it, Frank!� He slapped Frank on the back and allowed Alice to walk in front of him to sit on the wood next to the rest of the girls. Finally the guys sat down and talked a bit. Frank and Alice leaned against each other, holding hands. Sirius and James sat back-to-back along the length of the pier, using each other as supports as they so often did. Sirius and Nikeia began talking, with quite a few flirtatious comments thrown in. Remus sat next to Josey, his feet dangling in the water; he admitted that he was using a warming charm.

As the sun began to set, Lily tried leaning back but came in contact with James�s legs. She quickly sat forward.

�Sorry, Evans. Here, I�ll move over a bit; you can lean back now.�

�It�s fine.�

�Oh, Lily, shut up and be comfortable,� said Nikeia, lightly teasing. Lily threw her a look that she didn�t catch as she was too busy talking to Sirius. She glanced back over her shoulder and saw that James had moved back.

She leaned back again, and could tell that Potter�s legs were not far from her back.

�You can lean against my legs, if you like.� He bumped her back gently with a knee. She tossed him a quick smile, but didn�t move. He, however, moved forward again and positioned his legs right behind her.
Figuring there was no harm done, she let her weight rest again him.

James marveled at how red her hair became when the sun�s last rays struck it across the water. He smiled, and enjoyed the last moments of the day.