Login
MuggleNet Fan Fiction
Harry Potter stories written by fans!

The Gryffindor Gang by U-No-Poo

[ - ]   Printer Chapter or Story Table of Contents

- Text Size +

Story Notes:

This is my first story on Muggle Net Fan Fiction. Without the help of my fabulous betas, Alyssa (harry4lif), Katie (harrypotter627) and Sarah (dumbledores_fave) I would not have bothered posting this fic up, as it would be too hard to sort through the countless amount of errors.

J.K Rowling owns the Potterverse, and I'm just borrowing them for a bit! I own my two main OCs, Claudia and Adam, and all the other minor characters I own, and nobody can borrow them unless they ask nicely!

Please, when you read a chapter, add a comment for me to read! Any author knows that they love to hear (see?) what their readers think of the story. Any feedback, praise or constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!
Chapter Notes: Okay, here it is! Chapter One has been constantly rejected, and if you're reading this it means I've succeeded! This wouldn't have happened without Alyssa, Katie and Sarah, who all beta'ed this Chapter, each finding critical errors that I needed to correct. Thanks guys!

This chapter is a bit messy in the fact that it switches POVs a lot, but I've done that so the readers can get a feel for each of the characters, which I think I've done well. But the next few chapters will only change POVs two or three times, and the characters will have longer parts.
For those who don't remember, the beginning quote comes from the epilogue.

Disclaimer: J.K Rowling owns the Potterverse, and don't we all wish we were her sometimes! Anyway, enjoy!
“The train began to move, and Harry walked alongside it, watching his son’s thin face, already ablaze with excitement. Harry kept smiling, and waving, even though it was like a little bereavement, watching his son glide away from him...”




Albus:

I smiled back at my family, waving at my father who walked alongside the train. When the platform ran out and the train picked up speed, he stood at the edge and kept waving until I couldn’t see him anymore. I stared outside the window in silence for many minutes, thinking of Mum and Dad and Lily, who would be on their way back home by now through the Floo Network. It felt strange not to be going home with them as I did last year when James first started at Hogwarts. That was where I was headed now - Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. The very thought of it made me excited and nervous once more, and I grinned out the window as I was jolted back into reality.

“Albus!” said Rose impatiently, tapping me on the shoulder. “We need to find a compartment. You’ve been staring out that window for ages now, and most of them have filled up already.”

“Alright,” I said, sighing as I followed Rose down the corridors. After ten minutes of searching, it became apparent that we were the last ones to get a compartment. All the others were already filled, and Rose and I definitely wouldn’t sit with the older students. We spotted James and Dominique, another one of my cousins, but they too were in filled compartments. As we reached the end of the carriage, we found an almost empty compartment “ empty except for one blonde haired boy “ the one that Uncle Ron had pointed out to Rose at the station. I guess we had no other choice, and hesitating slightly, Rose opened the door.




Rose:

“Hi,” I said to the boy as I opened the door, and he jolted his face up at the sound of my voice. He looked a little surprised to see two people in his compartment. I decided I better explain why we were there. “All the other compartments are full “ do you mind if we sit here?”

“I suppose its fine,” he said, shrugging, and gestured towards the empty bench across from him. Albus and I sat down awkwardly, not exactly sure what to do next. But luckily, the boy opened up the conversation.

“So, do you two have names?” he asked politely, not lifting his eyes up off the book he was reading.

“I’m Rose Weasley, and this is my cousin, Albus Potter. We’re first years. What about you?” As I said “Weasley” and “Potter”, he finally lifted his eyes up from the page and stared at them in a shocked manner.

“Oh.” The boy continued to stare at us avidly, trying to hide his expression. I had a good idea why he knew our names. There were two reasons - it sounded as though Uncle Harry and my father hadn’t been on great terms with his father, from what I heard from Dad. His father must have passed a few of the stories onto his son. Secondly, everyone in the wizarding world knew our names last names - our parents were the ones who defeated the greatest Dark wizard of all time seventeen years ago. Finally, he replied, “My name’s Scorpius “ Scorpius Malfoy. I’m a first year as well.” I didn’t bother to tell him that Dad had already pointed him out to me.

I glanced at Albus. He hadn’t quite cottoned onto what was going on, but was looking at Scorpius with a puzzled expression on his face. He decided they needed an icebreaker, and attempted to be the one to break the ice.

“So, do you know what house you want to be in at Hogwarts?”

“Slytherin,” replied Scorpius automatically. “My family’s been in there for generations, as long as anyone can remember.”

It was Albus’ turn to say, “Oh”. I could tell he’d finally understood.

“You say ‘Oh’ as if it were a bad thing. Why, is something wrong with wanting to be a Slytherin?” Scorpius challenged. “I suppose you two want to be in Gryffindor?”

“Yeah,” I said. Silence fell again. This was getting really awkward. Scorpius glared at Albus and Albus glared right back. Another icebreaker, I decided. “What are you reading, Scorpius?”

“Quidditch through the Ages” he responded, returning to his book, and becoming immersed in it once more.

“Oh, I love that book! Are you a keen flyer as well, then?” I asked with a little bit of enthusiasm.

“Yeah, I am. I wish we could try out for the school teams.”

“Same with me. They let my dad play Quidditch for Gryffindor in his first year, though,” said Albus, suddenly joining the conversation. Apparently, bringing Uncle Harry into the conversation was a bad idea, because things got awkward again. Scorpius returned back to Quidditch through the Ages and Albus, Scorpius and I sat in relative silence for a long time.




Scorpius:

“We’ll be there soon,” said Rose after several quiet hours. Merlin, she was so annoying. Of course we’d be there soon, it was getting dark. The silence in the compartment had been pretty awkward. I guess none of us had much to say to each other. We all knew that they had zero in common with me, besides being first years at Hogwarts. I was soon to become a Slytherin, while they were almost certainly Gryffindor material - and those were two big differences that just couldn’t be ignored. Ever since the Second War ended before I was born, people have treated us like dirt. But not all Slytherins are evil. Some, admittedly, have turned that way. Not everyone, though. Yes, I knew my father was a Death Eater. He told me himself. But he came out of the war without a crime to his name, due to the help that my paternal grandmother, Narcissa, gave to Harry Potter in order for him to defeat Voldemort. Many people still hate it. But he is still prejudiced against Muggle-borns wizards. I have never actually understood why. Discrimination is just so stupid and pointless. Even though I was nothing like my father besides my looks, I still thought I was certain to become a Slytherin. It was natural; my whole family was always sorted into Slytherin. It was all I’d ever known. Why should I be any different?

The train began slowing down. In the distance I could see the twinkling lights of Hogsmeade village. Truth be told, I was glad I was getting away from my parents. My dad was so arrogant “ I can’t stand him. I loved my mother dearly but she still had prejudices too. She still expected the wizarding world to treat us like first class citizens, rich and influential, with just the right amount of power in the right places. Well, things had changed since then.

“Scorpius,” Rose handed me my copy of Quidditch through the Ages as we disembarked the Hogwarts Express. “You left it on the seat.”

“Thanks.”

“Its okay.” I hadn’t even realised that I’d left it behind. I guess I was too wrapped up in my thoughts.

I actually didn’t mind Rose and Albus’ company. If we were in the same house, we’d probably be friends. But their fathers had probably fed them enough stories about my father for them to stay away from me for seven years. Talk about prejudice.

.....


Claudia:

“Hello, students. My name is Professor Macmillan, and I am the Head of Hufflepuff House at Hogwarts. I will also be teaching you in Transfiguration. Shortly we will be entering the Great Hall where you will assemble for the Sorting of your house “ Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw or Slytherin. Your house will be like your family here at Hogwarts. Your dormitories and living space will be together. You will be awarded points for your house based on your merits and achievements, while rule-breaking will lose house points. At the end of each year, the house with the most points will be awarded the House Cup, a great honour for any house. The proceedings will happen in alphabetical order. I will go and inform the Headmistress that you are here. Please be quiet.”

We had just arrived at Hogwarts castle after completing the traditional boat ride across the lake. Many of us were in awe of the castle and its surroundings. From the boat, Hogwarts lit up with thousands of lights, and the interior was warm and toasty, which was really cool (thank Merlin for magic). But now, we were standing in the Entrance Hall, fifty-six nervous first years, a lot of them looking unsure of themselves. I didn’t know about the others, but I was terrified. This was so new. Magic, I mean. I’m what they call a Muggle “ I didn’t know magic existed until one of the Professors visited my family over a month ago and explained the secret wizarding world to them. My mind drifted back to the day that changed my life...

Ding dong. It was a Monday afternoon during the middle of summer. It was a stinking hot day and I was fed up with it. Leah and I had just come back from the public pool, and I was drying my hair on a towel, dressed in a pair of shorts and a sleeveless shirt. Nothing out of the ordinary.

“Claudia,” my mother shouted from the lounge. “Could you please come downstairs for a moment? You have a guest.”

Sighing, I hung up my towel and walked out of my room. It was probably an aunt or uncle who had forgotten my birthday last week. Or perhaps it was one of my friends. Or maybe it was a neighbour who had found Millicent, my cat, in their yard and wanted to complain in person.

I entered the lounge room. Sitting on a sofa was a stranger, a woman who wore an odd ensemble of clothing. She had on a pair of denim cut-offs that sat above her knees. She also wore a white collared, short sleeved shirt and around her neck was a purple tie. Her brown hair was tied up in a ponytail and she wore black heels on her feet. She was quite young, aged somewhere in her twenties. My mother was sitting opposite her, looking at her with a curious expression on her face. The woman noticed me standing in the doorway, and smiled at me.

“Would you like a drink?” my mother offered politely, her puzzled look still going strong.

“No thank you, Mrs. Kelaney,” she said, her attention focused completely on me now. I sat down next to my mother, mirroring her exact expression now.

“Hello. You must be Claudia. My name is Professor Morgan. As I was just telling your mother, I have something very important to tell you, something that will change your life forever. It will come as a bit of a shock, and it will seem as unbelievable. But first, I’d better explain what it is. Firstly of all, have you noticed that weird things occur when you’re really angry, or scared, or feeling a powerful emotion of sorts?”

My mother and I glanced at each other. Yes, weird things did happen sometimes. So weird that they were unbelievable and of course, nobody believed me.

“I’ll take that as a yes?” smiled Professor Morgan. “Did these things start occurring somewhere between the age of four and eight?”

Yes again. How did she know all this? I wondered.

“You might have already known this, Claudia,” she continued, “but you are special. Not in a bad way though. But what I am about to say next will shock you.”

“You are a witch.”

“I’m a WHAT?” I spluttered.

“I’m not lying. There is a wizarding world, hidden in secret from ordinary people, who have the ability to perform magic. I am a witch too. I am a teacher at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This is where young witches and wizards, from the age of 11 to 17 go to learn a magical education. And this is why I’m here today. We would like to offer you a place at our school.”

Professor Morgan went on to explain all about the wizarding world, about witches and wizards in general, Hogwarts, the Ministry of Magic, magical creatures, branches of magic, abilities, customs and someplace called ‘Diagon Alley’ and a secret train platform at King’s Cross. And the whole time my mother and I sat in silence, trying to comprehend it all.

“Excuse me,” said my mother tentatively after an hour, “but how can we actually believe you?”

“By this,” she responded. She pulled out a wooden stick, about twelve inches long. It was beautifully carved and well polished. Was this some kind of wand? It was. Professor Morgan raised her wand, and with a swish and a flick, said in a clear voice, “Wingardium Leviosa”

The fruit bowl, sitting on the coffee table in front of her, began to levitate five feet above us with no visible means of support. This was too much for my mother. She sank back into her chair and closed her eyes. But now, I finally accepted it all. It was all true. Sure, it was unbelievable, but it was true. Professor Morgan went on to tell me that only my immediate family could know about my ‘abilities’. This was okay, because it was only my mother, my eight year old sister, Leah, and I. My father had died two years ago in a car accident. And when Leah found out later that day, she had accepted the news easier than me - it explained that time I had accidentally turned her feet pink. Other than that, everyone else I knew was told that I would be going to a boarding school in Australia. She explained that this was part of something called the Statue of Secrecy, meaning that Muggles (non-magic people) could not know about our secret world unless it was absolutely necessary. After a while, something came into my mind.

“Am I going to behind all the other kids in my year, because I’m a Muggle-born? I asked Professor Morgan. This had been worrying me the whole time I was listening to her.

“No, Claudia, you won’t. Nobody else knows how to do magic yet. They just know about our world. You’ll catch up to them soon enough. Don’t worry about it.”


Now I’m in a totally new world, about to be introduced to my new ‘family’, about to be thrust into a life that I knew zilch about and knew no one. My friends at the local school always told me I was the confident one. Not anymore.




Adam:

As Professor Macmillan came back out of the Great Hall, everyone around me started whispering in excited voices. I looked around, bored. I had sat with my twin, Ella and our brother, Zane and the rest of his third year Gryffindor friends “ Mum’s orders. I was almost 100% confident that I would become a Gryffindor too. Mum and Dad had been in the same year as each other, and had even gone to the Yule Ball together in their fourth year. After Hogwarts, my father Seamus and my mother, Lavender, bumped into each other in London. He asked her out on a date and then, a year later, they became engaged. Two years later, Zane was born. Anyway, I’m getting sidetracked. I just knew I’d be a Gryffindor.

Professor Macmillan reappeared, and he opened the Great Hall doors and led us in. My first glance of it told me that this was... magical. The ceiling was totally transparent, showing the night’s sky “ clear, with the stars twinkling brightly. Back at home, in London, you couldn’t see the stars at night. There was too much pollution. We walked down the centre aisle of the room, with two long tables on either side of us. When we reached the front of the room, sitting before us on a stool, capturing everyone’s attention was an old witches’ hat. Suddenly, it broke out into song. But my father had told me about this, so it wasn’t much of a surprise. I barely listened and instead, focused my attention on my surroundings.

Sitting at each table were students in their school robes as well. Over at each table were the four house banners “ Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. In front of us was one long table, and the staff was sitting there. In the centre was a golden chair, with an elderly yet strict looking witch gazing at the Sorting Hat. Suddenly, the room burst into applause and Professor Macmillan walked up to the stool with a long piece of parchment in his hand. It was time for the Sorting to begin.

“Ackerby, Louise.”

A black haired girl standing nearby timidly stepped forward and walked up to the stool. She sat on the stool and Professor Macmillan placed the hat on her head. After ten seconds or so, the Hat announced to the room, “HUFFLEPUFF!”

The table on the far right burst into applause, and Louise walked quickly to the Hufflepuff table, smiling as she was greeted by her fellow housemates.

“Anderson, Cole.”

The boy on my left made his way up to the Sorting Hat. It took a while to decide which house he would join. After more than thirty seconds sitting there, the hat yelled, “SLYTHERIN!” This time, the table on my immediate right started clapping and cheering. I’d heard too much stories about Slytherin to not notice the sinister things about them “ such as the Bloody Baron, the Slytherin ghost, covered in transparent blood and wearing a permanent scowl on his face “ or some of the older boys sitting at the table, looking menacing and tough.

“Boot, Nathan.”

The Sorting Hat went through many more names, but my mind drifted elsewhere. I looked around at the others around me. Standing a few feet away was a boy with jet black hair that stuck up, and had a skinny build. It took a few minutes to realise who I was staring at - Harry Potter’s son. The resemblance of the man who appeared on many Chocolate Frog cards and was constantly in the Daily Prophet to this boy was great “ he had inherited many of the Chosen One’s looks. My parents had been in the same year as his father and shared the same house, Gryffindor with all four of our parents. His green eyes caught my blue ones staring him. He grinned, and I grinned back. Friendly, I thought.

“Finnegan, Adam.”

It was my turn. I made my way up to Professor Macmillan, who gave me a small smile and gestured for me to sit on the stool. I did, and my legs slightly shook and butterflies raced through my stomach as he placed the hat on my head.

“Look what I have here,” the Hat smirked, and I jumped at the thought that he was only talking to me. “Another Finnegan. Your family’s been in Gryffindor for quite a while, is that right?”

Yes, I thought silently. And that’s where I want to go too.

“Gryffindor, eh?” jeered the Hat. “But I think you have the makings of a Slytherin. You’re so cunning, and resourceful, and have a flair for rule bending. You’d do well there.”

No, please not Slytherin!, I begged silently, wondering what my family would say when they got the owl tomorrow morning.

“Fine, have it your way. Let’s hope I don’t begin to regret this decision. GRYFFINDOR!”

I sighed with relief as the table on my far right burst into applause. I could see my brother and his friends wolf-whistling. I sauntered over to them, and I sat at one of the empty places reserved for the new Gryffindors. Now, it was Ella’s turn. It took all of five seconds from the moment the brim of the hat touched her hair to decide her fate.

“RAVENCLAW!”

My jaw dropped. Fearless Ella, rejected from Gryffindor? It can’t be. But then again, Ella was always bright. She was the smart twin. She didn’t look too fazed by the turn of events, and she walked over to the Ravenclaw table and sat next to “Ellison, Kate.”

The hat went through five or so other people then in quick succession, including “Goyle, Damien” (Slytherin, no surprise) and “Jordan, Nina”. After Nina, a new Gryffindor too, came, “Kelaney, Claudia.”

A girl standing at the front took a few trembling steps towards Professor Macmillan. She looked terrified, but that wasn’t what caught my eye. It was the fact that her light brown hair and creamy complexion made her look... beautiful. Her wide eyes, chocolate brown as well, looked around the room, frightened, and the Sorting Hat was placed above her head. Gryffindor, Gryffindor, I chanted to myself with my fingers crossed.

“GRYFFINDOR!”


Yes! I thought triumphantly, and watched Claudia grin and then make her way over to our table. I smiled at her and she smiled back, and I gestured for her to sit next to me. Suddenly, everything in the room seemed a hundred times more cheerful.




Albus:

Cool - Claudia was a Gryffindor. I liked her, she was really nice on the carriage ride up that she shared with Rose, Scorpius and I. She told me she had no idea she was a witch until one of the professors came to her house. She admitted to how terrified she was, and glad she’d found some friendly faces. Scorpius scowled when she said that, and Claudia frowned at him, while Rose and I cracked up. Rose told her ‘our family history’ and Claudia mentioned how one of our school textbooks had already mentioned Harry Potter. I sighed when I had heard this. Even Muggle-borns knew about my father.

“Malfoy, Scorpius.”

Scorpius, on my right, walked up, smirking as the Sorting Hat was placed on his head. Slytherin, I thought bitterly. No doubt. Seconds later, the Sorting Hat cried, “GRYFFINDOR!”

I heard Rose’s gasp of surprise, felt my jaw drop and saw Scorpius freeze up in shock. Around the hall, many whispers were circulating, all saying the same thing. A Malfoy, sorted into Gryffindor? Is that even possible? Professor Macmillan bent down and muttered something into Scorpius’ ear, who was still on the stool, and he got up mechanically and walked over to the Gryffindor table, sat next to Claudia while staring ahead blankly. Claudia attempted to say something to him, but after getting no response, gave up eventually.

“Mitchells, Zoe” was made a Ravenclaw next, and then “Nott, Parker” was declared Slytherin material after that. As “Perks, Imogene” made her way to the Hufflepuff table, it was finally my turn.

“Potter, Albus.”

Whispering students could be heard once more. Phrases like, “Harry Potter’s son” and “defeated You-Know-Who” could be heard around me “ in other words, the usual. I smiled at Professor Macmillan, who nodded curtly back. I suppose now wouldn’t be the greatest time to mention how James telling me how much of a ‘pansy’ he was. Oh well, I had seven years to tell him.

“Are you another one of Potter’s, eh? Well, I see a good heart, combined with courage and loyalty to your friends. I’m pretty sure you know already what I’m going to do with you.”

A few seconds later, I walked to the Gryffindor with a small spring in my step, amongst a loud applause from my fellow housemates. I could hear a few of my cousins cheering loudly. I sat down with Claudia and Scorpius, who had seemed to recover a bit, and managed a small smile as I was seated next to him. On his left, Claudia flashed me a wide grin and a quick hug, and on her other side I was greeted by Adam Finnegan, the boy I waved at, who gave me a slightly hostile glare, which puzzled me slightly. I turned to the Sorting to watch the few people left.

“Riley, Abigail” was made a Slytherin next, then followed by “Sanders, Dylan” (“RAVENCLAW!”) and then “Stone, Joshua” was declared a Gryffindor. As “Taminara, Kiara” walked to the Hufflepuff table, Rose’s name was announced. Unsurprisingly, the Sorting Hat declared her a “GRYFFINDOR!” She received many grins as she sat down at the Gryffindor table. The last person, “Zeller, Bailey” became a Ravenclaw, and Professor Macmillan picked up the stool and the hat and walked off the platform. The Headmistress stood up and suddenly, all conversations halted as hundreds of pairs of eyes were fixed on her.

“Welcome back to Hogwarts. For those who don’t know, my name is Professor McGonagall and I am Headmistress of this school. I hope everyone had a nice summer. Congratulations to all the new first years. I hope you make your house proud of you, regardless of which one you were sorted into. I have the usual announcements to make. Firstly, under no circumstances are you allowed to enter the Forbidden Forest. Our older students must be reminded constantly, and as for the first years, take this as your only warning. House points will be severely cut if anyone is found near it. Secondly, Madam Hooch has told me to remind everyone about...”

My stomach rumbled loudly. Claudia giggled at me, and Rose hit me over the head. Scorpius sighed and his eyes drifted into space. And I swear, a few places down from me, I could hear James snoring. But unsurprisingly, the feast that followed ten minutes later brought everyone’s attention back.
Chapter Endnotes: Okay, there it is folks! Hope you liked it. The story picks up the pace in the next few chapters, so bear with me through the first few. Updates will be as soon as possible, but it might take a long time sometimes, so just hang in there and check regularly. Anyway, please leave a review after the beep... [insert beep]